• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

WillyFive

tokugaf2015.gif

iAbsZO1P6DoaB.PNG

Box of Bunnies said:
Tokusatsu is a Japanese term that means "special filming". As a genre it refers to pretty much any live-action production that makes extensive use of special effects. In the literal sense, anything from Wonder Woman to Doctor Who could be considered tokusatsu but, much like "anime", it is used colloquially in English to refer specifically to shows and movies of Japanese origin or adapted from them.

WillyFive said:
Wait, so this is just Power Rangers?
iHEHbFS4q6cfS.PNG

The original cast of Kyoryuger on top, and the cast of Power Rangers Dino Charge on the bottom. Power Rangers takes the fight scenes of Kyoryuger and make their own story using their own actors, putting both together to make a new show that adapts the original.

tumblr_m3xf8f3jQh1qjconuo1_r1_250.jpg

However, Tokusatsu is more than Power Rangers, it includes shows and movies such as Godzilla, Ultraman, Kamen Rider, Metal Heroes, Super Sentai, VR Troopers, Beetleborgs, and by definition shows like CW's The Flash, BBC's Doctor Who, Marvel's Iron Man, and pretty much anything that uses special effects.

ibtIdcJXftlIPn.PNG

Shuriken Sentai Nin'ninjer

ibm3LaOf8h3Ksz.jpg

Marking 40 years since five color-coded heroes first exploded into televisions, the ninja that sealed the evil Yokai has passed away, undoing the seal and unleashing them into the world. The five descendants of the hero must unite to end the terrifying threat once and for all. Directed by Shōjirō Nakazawa (Gokaiger, Kamen Rider Wizard), written by Kento Shimoyama (Good Luck Girl, Servant x Service).

Where to watch:

Japan: Premieres on TV Asahi on February 22 at 7:30 a.m

Elsewhere: Fan subs provided by Over-Time​

Power Rangers Dino Charge

dinocharge.gif

Judd Lynn (Power Rangers In Space, Time Force, RPM) returns to Power Rangers with the 3rd dino-based series in the franchise. Energerms, crystals that posses great power, are entrusted to dinosaurs by aliens, but when the mass extinction occurs, they are lost; until a group of teens dig them up and use them to become the Power Rangers. Uses footage from Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger.

Visit the NeoGAF Power Rangers Dino Charge Official Thread

Where to watch:

Airs every Saturday at 12PM on Nick, rerun the following morning. Schedule may vary depending on your country. Episodes are available the following day on Nick.com and on Hulu.​

Kamen Rider Drive

drivegaf.gif

From Riko Sanjo (Kamen Rider W, Fourze, Kyoryuger); a show about a young detective who finds himself using the powers of an incredible car to stop monsters that can seemingly control time.

Visit the NeoGAF Kamen Rider Drive Official Thread

Where to watch:

Japan: 8 AM Sundays on TV Asahi.

Elsewhere: Fan subs provided by Over-Time​

i7tOftwtSV6hC.PNG

ibs4QqZIbjp89L.gif

Kyoryuger is bitchin'.

You can quote me on that

ibl7LwgyK2xPYw.gif

-Kamen Rider Kuuga
-Kamen Rider Double
-Kamen Rider Fourze
-Kamen Rider Gaim

-Jetman
-Kakuranger
-Kyoryuger
-Akibaranger

tumblr_my65fh1Zlc1rjoe31o1_400.gif

Newbie Recommendations:

For Super Sentai: Boukenger. It's very indicative of the franchise over all. It's very basic and episodic with very, very few overarching plots, but that's part of it's charm and it kind of is reminiscent of older Sentai in this way.

For Kamen Rider: Kuuga. It's a slow-paced show and some people find it hard to really get into, but the underlying police drama of it really sold me on the show and it really does feel like a buddy-cop movie at times. I don't know. Kamen Rider for newbies is a bit harder to recommend because the franchise tends to wildly differ from year to year, especially in the early days of the Heisei revival.

Other Fun Stuff: The Takara Tomy trinity of Ryukendo, Rescue Force and Rescue Fire. Ryukendo feels like Tomy's answer to Toei's Kamen Rider, but it's a boat-load of fun and the characters are just a blast. The Rescue series are Tomy's answer to Toei's Sentai, but due to it's focus on rescues (extreme or otherwise), it's usually very good at keeping your interest.

I don't have enough experience/familiarity with Ultraman to give a good recommendation, sadly.

Bouken and kuuga? Don't listen to that man! Both of those series are boring, although boken has interesting parts.

For sentai go with deka and for rider go with kabuto

tumblr_m6t5ee4pzn1rn5beeo1_500.gif

1289665685336.png

I strongly suggest the following:

Kamen Rider OOO's- It builds a very strong core cast. Everyone matters and everyone is likeable. It has a very nice build up of the hero's powers and him growing into them as they are constantly depicting how hard it is to handle using combos for him. Also it adds the nice mix of both drama, comedy and action that is prevalent across the entire Kamen Rider franchise.

Kamen Rider Gaim-living proof that no matter the theme if the show puts together a real plot with real risk/reward issues then it can carry itself. This is one of the best Rider shows hands down. Lots of powers, good cast, and tons of crazy plot twists. Things get dark and things stay heated. A great show.

Kamen Rider Den O- by God it was popular for a reason. It is the comedic landmark in all the shows and to date it still holds audiences with Momotaros. The cast is fun, heartwarming, and there is actually some real drama here. A must see if you want to relax and just enjoy fun stuff.

Kamen Rider W- detective mystery with a great show encompassing sub plot that eventually takes over and takes off. This is one of the best there ever was, or will be...except for Chief. She's a fucking turd.

tumblr_nizg01KrAA1r0xwuyo1_400.gif

Kuuga is a type of show we will probably never see again: at its core it is a J-drama with your main character being able to transform into a Hero. Its visual effects will feel outdated, but it's also a show that doesn't rely on much CGI anyway. It's a very reality-grounded show, with much less toys to sell. Its relatively low budget forces it to focus on storytelling instead of style--all for the better. Hibiki is a similar show to Kuuga, but I'd recommend Kuuga over Hibiki because the latter was retooled in the middle of the season, making Kuuga the "complete" one.

So yeah that's a +1 for Kuuga. I'll write for other Rider shows and Sentai when I'm done with houseworks later today.

iQd6Dva8smNhX.gif

Rider:
W: One of the Heisei's best: characters, secondary Rider dynamic, suits, unique shenanigan with the 2-in-1 MC, ending is not a disaster, solid movies.

Gaim: Just an amazing ride (hah) with the most improbable start and motifs (fruits? dancing gangs? pokemon?) that never stops surprising you, a must watch even if it doesn't seems like it.

Agito: Modern Rider/Toei tokusatsu isn't your cup of tea? Watch this then. Suffering, mysteries, murders, cops, amnesiac people and EVOLUTION.

Anti recommendation - Wizard: Just. Don't. Watch. It. It's not worth your time.

Are we ok to suggest movies and manga? If so, I would include OOO, Den-O, All Riders: Let's Go Kamen Riders, Kamen Rider Spirits and Kamen Rider Black.
And Shin. Yeah, I actually like it.

Sentai:
Gokaiger: Some of the best fighting scenes on TV, consistent (if shallow) characters, solid ending and a sneak peek into all other sentais. A kick ass show in general.

Wish I could recommend some Metal Heroes/Ultra/different stuff, but either I haven't watched much of it, it's pretty hard to find subbed or I'm going mostly by nostalgia. And that reminds me that I must watch Zubat after I finish Kaku!

tumblr_n3dmp7JCyX1r0j0yso1_400.gif

so for super sentai.

gekiranger
kyoryuger
hurricanger
dekaranger
akibaranger

kamen rider

kabuto
blade
W
OOOs
fourze
gaim

other series

ryukendo
tomica heroes rescue force
tomica heroes rescue fire

dekarenrobo.gif

Riders:

Kabuto: It was my first rider show and still my favorite (although not the best). It has tons of Riders, the characters are interesting for the most part, and the action is marvelous. The only bad thing is that the plot gets pretty convoluted near the end. I watched this a second time last year (made my roommate watch it as his first rider show) and the plot makes sense now, so you may need to watch it twice. Did I mention the Hopper bros?

Gaim: Take everything Kabuto did (minus hilarious characters) and dial it up to infinity. Yeah, Gaim is definitely the best rider show, plot wise. It has a pretty mundane start but after around 10 episodes it picks up the pace and develops into a show where every single episode after will have you saying "THAT DID NOT JUST HAPPEN!" If there were a Rider show to represent the "just one more episode" or "next episode is the finale, right?" mantras, this would be it. Guaranteed to have you sitting on the edge of your seat.

W: Detectives and two-in-one Kamen Rider. Seriously, if Kabuto didn't exist, this would be my favorite season. 'nuff said.

Sentai

Dekaranger: First Sentai that I watched. I struggle to really say why I recommend it because I haven't watched it since 2006 but damn was it entertaining. If you like Power Rangers SPD, then you'll definitely love this. It has mystery, a good cast of heroes, and a talking dog. What's not to like?

tumblr_m7p1w1pvih1ryf00xo7_400.gif

I prefer Agito to Kuuga, though I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Kamen Rider W, Kamen Rider Gaim, Kamen Rider Den-O; in that order.

Kyoryuger is the W of Super Sentai. Start there, work your way out to Shinkenger and Dekaranger.

kamen-rider-zo-mediafire-3.jpg

I can only recommend Kamen Rider, because I haven't started on a Super Sentai show yet. I've seen some of the movies here and there.

Go in this order - the Kamen Rider ZO movie, W, OOO, Fourze, Gaim, Kuuga, Agito, and then everything else in any order. Start with ZO because it's basically the pure concept of KR condensed into 45 minutes. If you like it, it'll help you get into the shows proper. The weakest Kamen Rider shows are Wizard and Kiva. They can be quite fun though. Drive is, so far, very good, so jump in on that whenever.

If you're going to watch anything from the Showa era, don't watch more than 2 episodes a week, because you'll burn out very quickly if you try to binge them. I tried to binge Black and I stopped in the 20s and didn't go back to it for 12 months.

I agree with Agito being better than Kuuga. The plot is better, the pacing is better, the writing is pretty decent and Inoue's tendencies for misunderstandings, love polygons, etc. are toned down a level where they enhance the show instead of making you question their stupidity. I still think if anyone wants to watch Agito, they need to watch Kuuga first because even though Toei says they're not related, I feel it enhances the Agito viewing experience if you treat it as a loose, thematic sequel.

w1.gif

Watch W, OOO and Fourze. Really great Rider series.

For Sentai I suggest Boukenger, Shinkenger, Gobusters, Kakuranger and Dekaranger. If you watch Gokaiger for the first time it might give you a false impression on how Sentai works.

WillyFive said:
blackknight.gif

I started with Shinkenger and Den-O, but I also recommend watching Gokaiger and Fourze, or Kyoryuger and Gaim.

There are lots of older shows that are fantastic as well, but I think it's best to start with newer shows and make your way backwards, since the newer ones have better production and storytelling quality, and it allows you to appreciate better older shows in all the stuff they had to do with such limited resources.

zyufinale.gif

Top 2014 Grand Prix

idWtHvoJe44wY.PNG

sharivan1.gif

I started watching Kamen Rider with Den-O, which caught my interest with a time-traveling train. I love the 4 different Imagin (Ryoutaros most of all), and the various Forms. It only lacks the signature Rider Kick, a trademark of the franchise, at least until late in the series.

My first complete Super Sentai was Boukenger. It was the first series I saw before it was adapted for Power Rangers. I loved the idea of Precious, as it made every episode unique instead of "Monster attacks, go kill it". The idea of multiple villain factions hadn't been done before (at least in Sentai that I know of). Operation Overdrive was such a disappointment after watching it I wound up skipping most of the series.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Another beautiful year of Henshin.
I feel this is going to be a good year. Certainly better than last year.

I know its not a lot of people's favorite Sentai, but let's not forget Zyuranger will be out here in 11 days! I'm excited at least.

BatDan

I know its not a lot of people's favorite Sentai, but let's not forget Zyuranger will be out here in 11 days! I'm excited at least.

Got my copy pre-ordered. I hope it does well enough that we get more sets. I imagine the long term plan is Dairanger and Kakuranger, covering the 3 MMPR seasons.

I did notice that one of the recurring themes of the Dino Sentai is Red-exclusive power-ups.
Geki got the Dragon Armor (granted it belonged to Burai for most of the series, but after he died he was the one to get it)
Ryoga got AbareMax
Daigo got Carnival

Funny how that works.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Got my copy pre-ordered. I hope it does well enough that we get more sets. I imagine the long term plan is Dairanger and Kakuranger, covering the 3 MMPR seasons.

I did notice that one of the recurring themes of the Dino Sentai is Red-exclusive power-ups.
Geki got the Dragon Armor (granted it belonged to Burai for most of the series, but after he died he was the one to get it)
Ryoga got AbareMax
Daigo got Carnival

Funny how that works.

Yeah and they didn't bother for them to use those in the fight scene where those three teamed up.

Ryoga's fault

Also this picture should be somewhere in the op

Tiu Neo

New thread, oh yeah!

Isn't Feb 22 Ninja Day or something like that? I remember reading that somewhere. If true, the one week delay made Ninningers debut even better.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Ninninger may have been pushed back to 2/22 for its premiere, but as it turns out, that's Ninja Day.

New thread, oh yeah!

Isn't Feb 22 Ninja Day or something like that? I remember reading that somewhere. If true, the one week delay made Ninningers debut even better.

Might still mess things up if they already accounted for that and made the second episode take place on Ninja Day.

Corgi

Banned
gobuster still has some of the best choreographed fights in sentai for my taste. Nothing better than having mook's getting their throats slit.

isny

napkin dispenser
yeah, I thought most people enjoyed gobuster here.

I enjoyed it enough to import the mecha at the very least.

I also thought it was a good entry for people new to Sentai, as it's very Power Rangers esque with it's "Let's Morphing" and the megazords and such.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Tenumi

Banned
...Why is this in regular OT? Oh well.

I liked GoBusters, though I can understand it not necessarily being a recommended series for introducing Sentai.

Also, yeah, J. GoBusters is worth it for J alone.

BatDan

Gold Ninninger scans are out.

He's a cowboy with a guitar weapon and a hamburger henshin device.

I can't even

A hamburger henshin device...
That is so dumb that it wraps around to becoming brilliant.

He's a cowboy too... is this a tribute to Jiraiya?

NeonZ

https://twitter.com/seki0908/status/562499878006185985

I just saw this pointed out elsewhere... it's confirmed that V3 won't have a returning actor in SHT GP. It's kind of disappointing, considering how the original press release said that Rider 3 and V3 would interact somehow in the movie. Anyway, Tomokazu Seki will be voicing:

The Narrator; Shocker's Great Leader, alongside two monsters from the original series Girizames and Shiomaneking. He also voiced the Great Leader in Rider Taisen, and he had an excellent performance there.

He's also voicing KameBazooka from V3, and Marshal Machine, one of Stronger's last enemies. In Rider Taisen, he's also credited with Marshal Machine, but only did grunts, so the same could happen there.

Out of the Riders, he'll be voicing V3, Amazon, Stronger, Super-1 and W. He already had voiced the first three in Rider Taisen too, and he has voiced Amazon in everything aside from Megamax since All Riders vs Dai-Shocker, I think.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Haruki's reaction to NinNinGold

"OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOSH" "Hamburger nom nom"

My reaction:

: | they went and did it.

Maybe it actually is Jiraya. Kane Kosugi isn't doing anything other than goofy vitamin drink commercials right now anyway.

It's the hamburger that pushes it over the top. Up until then it's pretty normal for sentai.

(Anyone else having problems with TokuGAF 2015? Something on this page is just killing Chrome for some reason.)

Top Bottom