• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Sentai thread - from Goranger to Shinkenger!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Anyone a fan of the series? Or have you at least watched it? Watching Power Rangers doesn't count!

I grew up on Super Sentai - my country dubbed the shows, though I was only able to watch from Bioman up to Jetman (although the local stations skipped dubbing Liveman for some odd reason). They stopped dubbing the series starting from Zyuranger... probably because Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, whose source material is Zyuranger, was coming out.

I love the series! It has ups and downs (for me, the last Ranger I have watched was Timeranger), and though there were still some good stuff (I enjoyed Go-onger if only because I looked at it as a parody of Super Sentai), I still preferred the classics because of better acting, and well, the campiness was awesome.

P.S. - I <3 DEKAMASTER

Ronin

After the crapfest that was Go-onger, I can't wait for Shinkenger.

And Kamen Rider Decade is the hot shit right now.

Snaku

Banned
Dairanger and Timeranger are my favs. I can't bring myself to watch the recent stuff, as it's too Disney friendly.

Boss Doggie

Well, just view Go-onger as a parody. It helps.

And yeah, Dairanger and Timeranger was made of awesome win. Boukenger and Hurricanger can never replicate the epicness of the unhenshin rollcall made by the Dairangers!

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Last series I watched was half of Boukenger :3

As for Kamen Rider, the last one I finished was Kabuto, and half of Hibiki before that.

Boss Doggie

Kabuto... has the strangest things.

But why are we discussing Kamen Rider in a Super Sentai thread? :p

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Ookami-kun said:
Kabuto... has the strangest things.

But why are we discussing Kamen Rider in a Super Sentai thread? :p

probably because people associate super sentai with other tokusatsu series. i would be more excited about shinkenger if the mechs werent so damn weird. not as bad as go-onger, but still

Barrage

A little Kamen Rider discussion won't hurt the thread. They're not exactly hugely mainstream genres, so there's no point having seperate thread.

Last Sentai show I watched...hmmm...whichever one Power Ranger S.P.D. is based on. Pretty dope, but a lot of filler episodes.

As for Kabuto, I thought it was absolutely sick. I mean, yeah, the story got muddled towards the end, but overall I thought it was a great series.

Unfortunately, Den-O or whatever the fuck it was put me off KR for the last few years. What exactly is Kamen RIder Decade?

vareon

:O there's a tokusatsu thread in NeoGAF?

Too bad I only followed KR, not Super Sentai. Loved their opening songs, though. Always cheerful and full of energy.

Eteric Rice

As a big Power Rangers fan, where would I watch the Super Sentai series online? I'd like to see Power Ranger's roots. :D

MisterHero

Ookami-kun said:
Anyone a fan of the series? Or have you at least watched it? Watching Power Rangers doesn't count!
oh yeah?

well then my favorites are Zyuranger and Dairanger :lol :D

and JakQ simply because they used Nintendo-brand playing cards

Also, they had Big One

also, i met ohranger when i lived in japan

Boss Doggie

In my country (Phil), Bioman, Maskman, Fiveman, and Jetman were the most shown, and were the most popular!

Heck, I think the Philippine English dub of Bioman shows quality, even for Youtube standards!

Slayven

Ronin said:
Wow, so the first episode of Shinkenger pretty much stomps over the entirety of Go-onger.
Every red ranger should have Kuroko that give them towels and drinks after fighting.

vareon

I only watched the opening sequence, where Red is slashing through enemies. It gives me a Dynasty Warriors feeling :lol

This might be the first sentai I will watch from start to finish.

Edit: Also, how about turning this thread into a general tokusatsu thread, kinda like the Shonen Jump thread? I don't really see much Gaffers enjoy the genre, so it's kinda pointless if I (or someone else) make another tokusatsu thread. It's OK if you don't want to, though.

Troidal

My age will show when I say I liked Dynaman, Bioman, Liveman the most. I'll give some credit to Jetman and Jyuranger though. Dragon Ranger is badass. And also Harikenger only cuz the girls were hot :lol The ones in recent years were all meh.

I was never a fan of Kamen Rider, but liked Black back in the days. Among the Heisei Riders, it would be Agito and Faiz, the rest weren't too much for my liking. Decade, however, is awesome. At least so far.

Boss Doggie

As long as a large portion of the discussion is Sentai. *wink*

I am also loving the cockpit motif this time.

Boss Doggie

Finally watched the subbed episode 1 in veoh.

Quite... AWESOME! It doesn't reek of any of the post 2001 Sentai! It felt old school!

And yeah, Decade is a step up from the meh-series of Kabuto onwards.

vareon

Finally watched ep 1 of Shinkenger.

Good stuff! The battles really remind me of the Musou series, with red's flaming huge-ass sword and stuff. I also liked Red's personality, though I really can't judge him with the previous reds since this is practically the first Super Sentai I watched. Don't really liked the individual mecha designs, and I haven't seen the combined mecha in action so I'll save the judgment. Also digging the "Emperor and his subordinates" theme.

As for Decade...to me it's a HUGE step up from Kiva's amateurish writing. It's a shame that they had to turn the riders into toys, though. Ki-ki-ki-kiva was literally shooting arrow from his ass this week :lol

Ronin

vareon said:
I also liked Red's personality, though I really can't judge him with the previous reds since this is practically the first Super Sentai I watched.
I'll say he is definetly the best red so far for the more recent Sentai shows. Even if he is a bit of a dick, its better than being annoying.

Apharmd

Oh yeah, Decade is doing great. Kiva's transformation and the Darkness Moon Break arrow coming out of his crotch was weird, but the episode was ace.

TreIII

vareon said:
Finally watched ep 1 of Shinkenger.

Good stuff! The battles really remind me of the Musou series, with red's flaming huge-ass sword and stuff. I also liked Red's personality, though I really can't judge him with the previous reds since this is practically the first Super Sentai I watched. Don't really liked the individual mecha designs, and I haven't seen the combined mecha in action so I'll save the judgment. Also digging the "Emperor and his subordinates" theme.

As for Decade...to me it's a HUGE step up from Kiva's amateurish writing. It's a shame that they had to turn the riders into toys, though. Ki-ki-ki-kiva was literally shooting arrow from his ass this week :lol

I'll second this largely.

And I LOVE the Kurokos (the guys in black garbs and masks). It really brought a genuine smile to my face, since the first time I got introduced to those guys was through the likes of Samurai Spirits/Shodown and the Gouketsuji/Power Instinct games. :D

Ronin

Also anybody been watching Kamen Rider Dragon Knight? First two episodes were kinda rough, but its really starting to pick up.

Apharmd

Ronin said:
Also anybody been watching Kamen Rider Dragon Knight? First two episodes were kinda rough, but its really starting to pick up.

I would never admit anything I did in this topic in public.

KRDK was something I was never going to admit anywhere until you brought it up. Yes, I've been watching it on TV Saturday mornings in the only area where I can watch television in privacy, my parents' bedroom.

Of course, they walked in on me once and thought that I wanted privacy for masturbating. I just went ahead and said yes.

...Back on subject, it is picking up. Saturdays are just ace for me. KRDK in the morning, Decade in the afternoon, Gundam 00 in the wee sunday mornings (which is saturday night.)

vareon

Ronin said:
I'll say he is definetly the best red so far for the more recent Sentai shows. Even if he is a bit of a dick, its better than being annoying.

Last red I knew was GekiRed...and didn't like him at all.

Apharmd said:
I would never admit anything I did in this topic in public.

KRDK was something I was never going to admit anywhere until you brought it up. Yes, I've been watching it on TV Saturday mornings in the only area where I can watch television in privacy, my parents' bedroom.

Of course, they walked in on me once and thought that I wanted privacy for masturbating. I just went ahead and said yes.

...Back on subject, it is picking up. Saturdays are just ace for me. KRDK in the morning, Decade in the afternoon, Gundam 00 in the wee sunday mornings (which is saturday night.)

C'mon, deep down everyone loves seeing guys in funny costumes (and colorful tights) beating the crap of each other :lol

I don't know if I'll ever watch DK, though. How was it compared to Ryuki?

Apharmd

vareon said:
Last red I knew was GekiRed...and didn't like him at all.

C'mon, deep down everyone loves seeing guys in funny costumes (and colorful tights) beating the crap of each other :lol

Perhaps.

And I can't really trust myself to compare DK to Ryuki, as I've got a massive hardon for Ryuki. For what it's worth, I like the concepts they're going with, and the newly made fights are very good. Watching the actual TV series doesn't make me embarrassed as fuck either. It's the damned ads that snap me back into the reality that I'm watching bug-men fighting each other so the kids watching could buy more toys.

In any case, I bet KRDK will be canceled because kids have shit taste. (GG TF Animated canceled after Season 3)

Ronin

vareon said:
I love Ryuki, and once you except the fact that DK isn't Ryuki its pretty awesome.

Steve and Mike Wang are huge fans of KR and respect the source material and I think they have done a great job reintroducing the series to America. It definetly has a more mature vibe than Power Rangers, but in the end, its still a vehicle to sell toys.

Heres a really good interview.

I also remember hearing that Adness Entertainment picked up the US rights for Tomica Hero Rescue Force.

Boss Doggie

Well so far it's balanced, and it reeks of old school Sentai, so that's a good sign.

And they're making games for Sentai... and it's called Rangers Strike - an arcade card game. Currently, it has Masked Rider (from 1 to Decade) and Metal Heroes (Jivan, etc.) expansion.

vareon

Ookami-kun said:
Well so far it's balanced, and it reeks of old school Sentai, so that's a good sign.

And they're making games for Sentai... and it's called Rangers Strike - an arcade card game. Currently, it has Masked Rider (from 1 to Decade) and Metal Heroes (Jivan, etc.) expansion.

Which had awesome artwork on the cards. I kinda wanted them just for the artworks :D

And for the riders there's Ganbarides too. Heck Decade was pretty much a one-season advertisement for Ganbaride.

I get the feeling a Jump Superstars-styled KR or Super Sentai game on the DS would sell well.

Slayven

They need another Super Tokusatsu Taisen 2001. Y'all heard Decade will be followed by a sequel to Den-o. Toei and Bandai love the imagins

Troidal

Slayven said:
They need another Super Tokusatsu Taisen 2001. Y'all heard Decade will be followed by a sequel to Den-o. Toei and Bandai love the imagins

Well it's probably 'cheaper' for them to do a Den-O sequel. They just need to rehire most of the voice actors, the main reason why the series is popular to begin with. I could do without a new Kamen Rider for the next few years tbh...the design has mostly been asstastic after 555 (and Kabuto was too much like 555). Good for Den-O fans though, it's pretty crazy. Even my female co-workers like it, and they're not like big rider fans.

Mobius 1

change-men.jpg

:D Changemen. My forever favorite.

Boss Doggie

vareon said:
Which had awesome artwork on the cards. I kinda wanted them just for the artworks :D

And for the riders there's Ganbarides too. Heck Decade was pretty much a one-season advertisement for Ganbaride.

I get the feeling a Jump Superstars-styled KR or Super Sentai game on the DS would sell well.

I want a Capcom vs. Toei: Masked Heroes, but that wouldn't happen.

vareon

Ookami-kun said:
I want a Capcom vs. Toei: Masked Heroes, but that wouldn't happen.

if Tatsunoko vs Capcom could happen, then technically it could happen too. But this is too much hope :lol

Apharmd

Hrm. This week's episode of KRDK is pretty good. Great fight choreography as always. I actually prefer the American-made fights as opposed to the stock footage.

Edit - Hahaha holy shit, Verde lost twice today in KRDK and Decade's Ryuki. Both of them because his opponents cheated. :lol

Boss Doggie

Ah yes, the most hated Kamen Rider. I can see why though.

ZOMG LETS REMOVE HENSHIN!

So what's a good place to start with the super sentai? Rather I should say what series has alot of brutal fights and serious matter? I have to point out that I do like Kamen Rider Kabuto and I'm feeling Decade as well.

Boss Doggie

All of Super Sentai has 50/50 comedy and drama. It never should be a full-blown "serious" series.

Though if you want the most dark sentai, Jetman should be your pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom