• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
New preview of Dino Super Charge

Gives us a good look at how Heckyl & Snide work.

Rider 1 dad bod form.

CZwH4lkWwAIS7ZT.jpg

That description is way too apt.

vareon

Isn't Rider 1 treated as an "entirely transformed" state as opposed to a suit of armor (like how Drive, Gaim, and Fourze are), making it impossible for a helmetless scene?

He is, but that doesn't stop the rule of cool!

Or he can de-transform only his head, like Hibiki. Any explanation works really but I just want tou see fujioka looking badass.

NeonZ

Isn't Rider 1 treated as an "entirely transformed" state as opposed to a suit of armor (like how Drive, Gaim, and Fourze are), making it impossible for a helmetless scene?

It's a mix of both. In the original series there were two helmetless scenes (one of them right after he woke up from the procedure that turned him into a cyborg).

Hongo's face is still under the helmet, but it's also directly connected to it when it's there.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
New Ghost scans look neat---seems the old Eyecons are usable with Boost (once Takeru connects with them like he did Ryoma, though that doesn't explain Goemon), Himiko, Grimm, Sanzo, and Galileo (the last one only in Ganbarizing) looks neat, there's a cool new Ganma General appearing, and
Spectre gets eye jacked

Also that Amy Schumer thread made the Houdini episode awkward.

Tiu Neo

The Ganma are... ghosts. I don't get why people reject that idea so much. People have referenced them as ghosts in the show various times and have never been corrected, and we had the Ganma talking about how "living bodies" are just tools to them a few weeks ago.

Hmmm... yeah, that makes sense. MOTW Ganma are monsters possessing some object to get their forms, if I got that correctly. I wonder if those can return too, or if the object is destroyed/returned after they are killed.

For the rejection, well... It's an enemy that cannot be destroyed. I get why people don't like the idea too much, but I'm kinda ok with it, if it's not overused.

WarRock

An helmet is the only thing Rider #1 could wear at the end of the manga, if you catch my drift.

Jokes aside, in the manga his body transforms, but not his head, he just get scars at his face and neck. He has the helmet in his bike to protect his identity, similar to The Next suits.

NeonZ

Hmmm... yeah, that makes sense. MOTW Ganma are monsters possessing some object to get their forms, if I got that correctly. I wonder if those can return too, or if the object is destroyed/returned after they are killed.

We just had the Katana Ganma returning in the first part of the Ryoma two parter. Also, Shimamoto Kazuhiko, the monster designer for the Ganma, confirmed in his twitter that they have a "great person" motif too, like Ghost himself.

The odd thing is that even though in the tv show they avoid referencing the historical identity of the Ganma, only referencing them by the possessed object, during his return episode, the Sword Ganma used Sasaki Kojiro's personal technique, which confirmed in an obvious way some people's speculation about his identity.

Tiu Neo

We just had the Katana Ganma returning in the first part of the Ryoma two parter. Also, Shimamoto Kazuhiko, the monster designer for the Ganma, confirmed in his twitter that they have a "great person" motif too, like Ghost himself.

The odd thing is that even though in the tv show they avoid referencing the historical identity of the Ganma, only referencing them by the possessed object, during his return episode, the Sword Ganma used Sasaki Kojiro's personal technique, which confirmed in an obvious way some people's speculation about his identity.

True, forgot about that. We also had that Guan Yu Ganma that was pretty obvious.

WarRock

Ghost 15

Makoto
isn't actually human? He became something else? Or was that only my impression? Kanon's reaction when she saw Aran makes me think there is a bit more to this whole situation.
Might be a side effect of his Eyecon. We don't know how he got Spectre, aside that it comes from the ganma world.

Episode was pretty good, I was not ready for oni Sage hehe.

JLynn

I've been "obtaining" Ohranger, Liveman, Sun Vulcan, and ToQger. Out of those four which one should I see next (Finishing up on Metalder)?

vareon

I think Igadevil is saying that Kamen Rider 1 will be directed by Osamu Kaneda, written by Toshiki Inoue. The real dream team we deserved.

Pluto

I've been "obtaining" Ohranger, Liveman, Sun Vulcan, and ToQger. Out of those four which one should I see next (Finishing up on Metalder)?
Depends on what you like, all four are good imo but Sun Vulcan is probably the best, ToQger is a lot of fun too.

WillyFive

I don't think any of those will be as good as Metalder. Liveman has the best first episode in all of Sentai, but the rest of the show is terrible. ToQger has a nice overall story, but it's really poor at telling it and expect to be bored until the last few episodes. Ohranger has great production values, but there's not much to it and the tone of the show changes considerably as it starts to be retooled after the terrorist attacks of 1995. Sun Vulcan is considered an all time classic, but it is also really dated for someone used to modern shows.

Tiu Neo

From those, I saw Liveman and ToQGer.

Liveman was good but a bit too repetitive, ToQGer is a bit lighthearted, even silly sometimes, but fun. The villains are pretty cool.

I'm kinda interested in Sun Vulcan, too. Watched one episode a few months ago, looked fun.

BatDan

*reads personalities for the Zyuohgers* Yes! Red isn't an idiot! Three years of idiot Reds is a tad too much

NeonZ

I think Igadevil is saying that Kamen Rider 1 will be directed by Osamu Kaneda, written by Toshiki Inoue. The real dream team we deserved.

Well, Fujioka is credited for story planning, so it seems like Inoue will be mostly an actual "script writer", rather than plotter.

BatDan

Here's a quick one. Couldn't add everyone's avatars, but imagine they are there under the helmets.

tokugaf2016.gif

That is perfect.

The shows this year are Zyuohger, Ghost, Dino Super Charge, and the remaining episodes of Ninninger. Anything else?
What about movies? Isn't there a new Toho Godzilla?

ReiGun

Ghost form changes feel so meaningless. Did they get a noob suit actor?

Pretty much. Newton has been the only one so far that felt like it has some meaning due to its special ability. The others are just "Ghost and Specter fight with their weapons in a different mode/with a different dongle attached."

Slayven

anyone else thinking Javal might just be the default form for enhanced Ganma? This javal seemed a bit berzerkish compared to the last one that was foreword thinking and precise

NeonZ

anyone else thinking Javal might just be the default form for enhanced Ganma? This javal seemed a bit berzerkish compared to the last one that was foreword thinking and precise

Didn't he have a line about being called again?

There was a superior Ganma in the Ghost/Drive movie that had a transformation identical to Javel's, but his name was different. There's another upcoming Superior Ganma that looks different from Javel though.

Tiu Neo

And Gamera too! Don't forget Gamera!

what about the others?

Don't think those are big spoilers, and most don't really talk too much about the character, but...

Yamato Kazakiri:
Human and a novice zoologist. As a child, Yamato was helped by a mysterious bird-man in the forest. As token, the bird-man gave Yamato a mysterious Cube. While Yamato is caring, he’s the type that struggles with taking on too much. Very strong willed; once his mind is set on something he’ll never change it.

Sela:
Shark Zyuman. While her original appearance looks cool, Sela is the type that doesn’t want to show others her weaknesses. She doesn’t like to lose and has very sharp hearing.

Leo:
Lion Zyuman. Usually calm but actually has a pretty bad temper. Leo is sensitive to his surroundings. Caring for those weaker than himself is his strength. His voice is strangely loud.

Tusk:
Elephant Zyuman. The most intelligent of the four Zyumans that traveled to the Human World. While he seems like the sensitive, unapproachable-type, he’s actually extremely kind. Has a sharp sense of smell.

Amu:
White Tiger Zyuman. At first glance, Amu seems to be the cute-type of woman. However, she’s more than just a pretty face. She’s able to read situations well and is shrewd. If she saw a person in trouble she’d help them. Has a strong sense of taste.

Mario Mori:
Yamato’s uncle. An eccentric animal sculptor who lives in a tree house equipped with an atelier that he works in. He allows Yamato and the four Zyuman to live with him.

Source is Tumblr, can't link it here because scans, of course.

WarRock

That is perfect.

The shows this year are Zyuohger, Ghost, Dino Super Charge, and the remaining episodes of Ninninger. Anything else?
What about movies? Isn't there a new Toho Godzilla?
I remember a trailer for a new Ultraman movie. There is no new Garo?

javadoze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-IytK1IVvk

Mega ULoader's voice is so good, I actually think it beats out Faiz gear's voice.

Shame that apparently it only has unique messages for the Necrom Grimm and Sanzo eyecons, and everything else just gets "Ghost". Ah well.

The Megauloader/Megaaulorder/Megawhatever looks far less silly in practice and the Steve Blum voice is also pretty good.

Pretty curious to see if there's going to be any more riders utilizing the Megaeyedropthing. Seeing how eyecons can contain their own sounds/electronics (as shown by Boost and Necrom), they can probably add new ones down the line without worrying about being constrained to the preexisting sounds.

Top Bottom