• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

BossRush

So speaking of Heroic Eyecons, back in 2006 Nippon Television polled Japan (not sure how widely though) about their favorite Historical Figures...then a bit later narrowed the question down to Historical Heroes. I wonder if this possibly influenced Toei's choices?

It makes me wonder what some of the other Eyecons based on these dudes would be like...I want a Stanley Kubrick Eyecon.

KAIGAN, MARTIN LUTHER KING JR

PEACE BETWEEN YOU AND ME
I HAVE A DREAM

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Wizard is my fav henshin belt in general I love the glowing rings the goofy audio and the feeling of moving the hand back and forth feels really good.

Kabuto belt has the best henshin "action" and is probably the coolest looking one.

Gaim Lock Seeds are the best rider toys though.

vareon

Mach/Chaser and the belt's impressive English were fun.

OOO is great too. TAKA-TORA-BATA! TATOBA TATOBA TA-TO-BA!

Man how could I forget OOO's? (probably because of the boring design). I used to dislike the voice in the early reveal but it keep getting more badass.

Watching Dairanger right now, and I just finished the episode where
Jin walks into the sunset and fights all those Cotpotros.
Goddamn, what a great character.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Trailer for Riders 2006-2009 in Battride Wars Genesis is up.

...Kabuto almost sounds like Hiro Mizushima! That was cool.

It's the same VA they've been using for him forever. Tsuyoshi Takishita, who unfortunately passed away a couple years back in an accident. I'm actually surprised they didn't take this opportunity to recast him. I mean they're going to have to eventually. They can't keep using the stuff they recorded for CH/Battride 1 and 2 forever.

Maybe they're holding out for the possibility of getting Mizushima again someday, who knows.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
so which actors aren't coming back due to different reasons?

also I realized shark-chan has small tail, I DEMAND FIXING THIS

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So...all the development for Aran
leading to his face-heel turn is gonna be OVA exclusive? Kind of an odd choice...

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
If the Zyumen of Zyuohger come from Zyuland, would it not be correct to call them... Zyulanders?

well shit

It's pronounced with a J sound (Which is why I hate the whole じゃじじゅじぇじょ being written with Z's thing). So it would still just be Jew-Landers

I still giggle at the JyuRanger theme to this day, being a jew myself.

WarRock

Sorry guys, but the best henshin device is easily the Drive Driver copy made by Roidmude 27.

He singing the jingle, hahahaha

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I decided to watch Kabuto, can anybody recommend any subbing groups that I use to watch it or should chance it with TV Nihon?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't think anyone else has subbed it, unfortunately.

It's a shame too. The action looks great, but I hear the story becomes incomprehensible and it would be nice to have someone that actually knows Japanese to help it out. Without TVN's stupid effects too. How are they still thing in 2016?

LostAnkh

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dino Super Charge 2

Alright episode. Riley's bully was lame (you can't be a bully if your name is Burt) but it works for the kids.
Impressive re-contextualization of Kyoryuger footage. I remember that scene at the dam and it played very differently here.
Heckyl continues to impress, though I wonder where Keeper was when he entered the base alone. Where does Keeper go?
Super Drive is... okay. I get it, it's a toy thing, like Shogun mode. Maybe it will show up outside the Megazords in a later episode. I like the sword it comes with at least.

If you want to watch tokusatsu shows legally, then the Tokusatsu Network wrote an article about it.
http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2016/02/16142/

Shout! Factory have become big names in the tokusatsu fandom over the last couple of years thanks to their acquisition of Zyuranger, Dairanger, and the upcoming Kakuranger, the first legally available Sentai released within the US. These are the shows available through their streaming website, Shout! Factory TV:

Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger: The series the original Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers is based on and the first time a Sentai has been legally streamed in the US.
Ultraman: The grandfather of the modern tokusatsu hero shows, Ultraman is available in its entirety. This series is also available on Hulu.
Ultra Seven: A unique take on the Ultraman formula, back when Ultra Seven wasn’t a sequel but a reboot of Ultraman.
Ultra Q: The very first show in the Ultra franchise, featuring monsters and a traditional sci-fi formula over hero action.
Hulu

Hulu has had a couple of series throughout the years and lost the rights to a few of those along the way but here is what they have available at the moment:

Johnny Soko and His Flying Robot: (Giant Robo): One of the earliest examples of a giant robot in tokusatsu TV show, brought to you by the producer of the original Kamen Rider series, Tooru Hirayama. This series is dubbed into English.
Crunchyroll

We’ve seen a nice influx of tokusatsu fans thanks to the recent licensing of Ultraman shows for the popular anime streaming service, including:

Ultraman Mebius: The 40th anniversary series, often called a fan favorite, features a return to the original shared universe of the first 7 shows, along with cameos from some of the original Ultras.
Ultraman Max: The series that came before Mebius, a fast and fun series highlighting great action and unique directing, thanks in large part to the amazing cast of high profile directors who lent their talents to the show. (including Takeshi Miike)
Ultraman Leo: One of the greats from the original Showa era of Ultraman shows. Leo features a dramatic story line with high intensity action and the return of a fan favorite character from a previous series.
Ultraman 80: The last traditional Ultraman series until Ultraman Tiga, over a decade later. 80 is a unique experience all its own with one of the most bizarre looking Ultraman characters.
Ultraman Nexus: It’s not out yet but Crunchyroll has announced the series will be coming to their site soon. Nexus was a dramatic take on the typically family friendly series, with darker story lines than usual
Ultraman X: The most recent Ultraman series and the very first tokusatsu to be simulcast to overseas viewers as it airs in Japan. With a recently announced series for later in 2016, hopefully this isn’t the last we see of Ultraman on Crunchyroll.

WillyFive

zyohred.gif

Ninninger finale

Both ToQger and Ninninger's stories have seemed to me way too simplistic to warrant almost 50 episodes of runtime to tell it. Almost nothing to it outside of the Kyoomon and Grandpa/dad stories; which is certainly the defining trait of the Ninnin story. The almost twist at the end they pulled with Kyommon was almost pretty good, but it was quickly revoked in order to copy Shinkenger's final mech battle shot by shot, and then end the show in a rather anti-climactic fashion.

Who's making the 2016 thread?

I thought you were.

Top Bottom