• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NextGen hardware (even next-gen PC hardware) graphics are still FAR from Photorealistic

martino

Sapphire Radeon RX-5700 XT Nitro SE with 1996 Mhz average has 10.219 TFLOPS

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

On Techpowerup's average, Sapphire Radeon RX-5700 XT Nitro SE (10.219 TFLOPS average) is slightly faster than GTX 1080 Ti
ok but where is my custom evga 1080ti at 1950-2040mghz on this graph ?

hyperbertha

An SSD isn't going to get us more closer to CG than more RAM. That's just a fact. DDR 5 RAM moves near 20-30Gb/s vs 5.5Gb/s on Sony's SSD. Why do you keep focusing on streaming data when the absolute preference is having that data already into RAM (which is much much faster than SSD) so you don't need to fetch it? In fact, the ultimate solution is to have all the data reside in GDDR VRAM which moves at > 600Gb/s.
Its true that more RAM is better than having an SSD but at the moment we aren't even close to having 100+ GB of RAM so obviously the SSD is the only practical solution.

pawel86ck

Banned
Personally I'm happy with PS4 visuals (in fact even some PS3 games like TLOU or GOW3 still looks good to me) so I will be not disappointed anyway. All I want is at least 1440p and 60fps.

rnlval

ok but where is my custom evga 1080ti at 1950-2040mghz on this graph ?

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 is out of the box ~4% faster over stock GTX 1080 Ti.

FYI, I have MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio with Core 9-9900K at 5Ghz for gaming PC benchmarking.

Ap4S2jC.jpg

-----
I still have the old rig with GTX 1080 Ti FE (via MSI) and Core i7-7820X at 4.6Ghz.

DpHBcK2.jpg

nikolino840

Yeah photorealistic Is cool,but i like even the art direction/style
Yesterday i've made this screenshot

oRtnnQh.jpg

(Hope rare made a patch for the series X with raytracing)

wolywood

Sports games are a good example of this as they are the titles that attempt to model real world people as accurately as possible. NBA2K20 may look pretty at a glance, but watch any of the character models up close for more than a couple of seconds (instant replay reactions, sideline interviews etc) and it's clear that we have a looooong way to go before video games will even remotely depict the looks and movements of an actual photorealistic human being.

Sagii86

Sports games are a good example of this as they are the titles that attempt to model real world people as accurately as possible. NBA2K20 may look pretty at a glance, but watch any of the character models up close for more than a couple of seconds (instant replay reactions, sideline interviews etc) and it's clear that we have a looooong way to go before video games will even remotely depict the looks and movements of an actual photorealistic human being.

Sport games have thier own niche in the industry and could have looked much better 10-15 years ago. They (mostly EA) rather keep sucking money out of customers because most people that play sports don't really care about the tech and will follow blindly year after year.

Keihart

The fact that this scene can look natural in PS4 makes me exited for next gen visuals

Also, animations, i think we are at a point where animations are more important than realistic looking models at least for characters, there are a lot of charcter models based on real people that look pretty "real", but without the same quality in animations they just look fake and akward.

Last edited:

iHaunter

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 is out of the box ~4% faster over stock GTX 1080 Ti.

FYI, I have MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio with Core 9-9900K at 5Ghz for gaming PC benchmarking.

Ap4S2jC.jpg

-----
I still have the old rig with GTX 1080 Ti FE (via MSI) and Core i7-7820X at 4.6Ghz.

DpHBcK2.jpg

We have the same card. Though I think mine is defective. When a game starts my other screens stutter while game is loading, same for you? Maybe it's my monitors? 3x Acer Predator IPS at 144hz.

A PS6 game of AAA production values (i.e. Naughty Dog's game) will probably match Beowulf in terms of graphics.

You're forgetting if a dev. wanted they can 3d scan a person.

NSFW

I'd say those real time anatomy models look better than beowulf.
NBA2K20 may look pretty at a glance, but watch any of the character models up close for more than a couple of seconds (instant replay reactions, sideline interviews etc) and it's clear that we have a looooong way to go before video games will even remotely depict the looks and movements of an actual photorealistic human being.

The problem with those sports games is probably budget too. They could motion capture all the players to high fidelity and precompute clothing animations. But that would be extremely expensive, so they cut corners.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People really should stop comparing CGI that you see in pixar or other CG movies to games. With CGI they dont have to worry about game mechanics, physic, A.I and even they dont have to worry about players controlling the camera real time. Games will never ever going surpass CGI.

Thaedolus

Honestly I’m pretty happy with Zelda: BotW level visuals. I’m obviously partial to stuff like RDR2 on my PC with visuals cranked up, but when it comes to what breaks my immersion more than anything, it’s performance issues. Zelda in 2017 looked fine, it was the framerate dropping to the low 20s at times that seemed really unfathomable in this day and age

Great Hair

Banned
With photogrammtey, raytracing, linear games like Control, Tunnel-Shooter, Chase Scenes like T2 Truck and similar could easily achieve photorealism. Maybe not at 2K but at 480 to 720p pretty sure that´s possible.

+ better textures, lighting
+ raytracing
+ photogrammety, quixel scans
+ enough computalpower for 720p?

This could be easily done nowdays. Not with the same amount of details or animations, but playable and similar looking hell yeah. With better textures, lighting? This scene should also be the standard benchmark, playable (T2 on Bike), chase event, some shooting ... i can definitely see this done with todays tools&hardware.

MetalAlien

Banned
Wait for another 1 to 2 decades to see it , seriously , we aren't that far.
Closer than some want to believe. They are already using real time graphics in movies. That is actually exciting new tech just starting to make it's way into the industry. They are calling it the death of green screen. Mandalorian uses it.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
dude, some realtime cutscene on tlou2 don't look light years distant from that H2 cutscene (especially faces and facial animation), you really understimate people like ND or santa monica with 10 tf under their asses...

This. We get closer every generation. We'll be another step closer when we start seeing next generation 1st party games from Sony's WWS

hyperbertha

I honestly never care for my games looking photorealistic, only thing that does is give us boring ass character design and art direction and in my opinion waste of money and resource.
It all depends on the art direction. Death stranding had great characters design that would stand head to head with any top stylized looking characters. Photorealism will work, as long as its spearheaded by a good direction. :lollipop_grinning_eyes:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It all depends on the art direction. Death stranding had great characters design that would stand head to head with any top stylized looking characters. Photorealism will work, as long as its spearheaded by a good direction. :lollipop_grinning_eyes:
I’m sorry, great character design? There was no original character design in that game, they basically used celebrities as characters.

I personally hate, HATE celebrities in my game. to me it’s absolute downgrade compare to proper original character design.

hyperbertha

I’m sorry, great character design? There was no original character design in that game, they basically used celebrities as characters.

I personally hate, HATE celebrities in my game. to me it’s absolute downgrade compare to proper original character design.
I agree celebs are a downgrade. I was talking about the artistic direction of its characters. Even if they were all portrayed by celebs, the characters were all designed initially by MGS artist Yoji Shinkawa. Artistically, they do compete with stylized designs from older games.

Keihart

While i prefer stylized characters as well, like ND characters...Norman Reedus does not look like Sam Porter. Maybe gestures and face, it has his likeness, but it's not a 1:1 model. Sam it's way more muscular for example and other proportions of the model are stylized to make it better looking than real Norman.

Last edited:
I don't think photorealistic graphics are the final objective of graphics.. who wants a perfect rendering of their street? I live on a beautiful street in Japan but it honestly looks way better if i take a photo, because it makes it an artifact, a moment in time. Studio Ghibli films like Whisper of the Heart take supremely everyday settings are empower them with romance and power simply by virtue of the technical care they took in making a facsimile of that banal reality.

People might say Doom Eternal is as good a candidate as any current game for being called the most hawt, but it's graphics are entirely disinterested in rendering anything approaching photo realism.

While i prefer stylized characters as well, like ND characters...Norman Reedus does not look like Sam Porter. Maybe gestures and face, it has his likeness, but it's not a 1:1 model. Sam it's way more muscular for example and other proportions of the model are stylized to make it better looking than real Norman.
I wonder if the Jedi Fallen Order dude has such Perfect hair

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Depends how one defines "far".

I agree that CGi is still superior certain aspects are getting close, and most people dont care for the subtle differences you are talking about.

Sagii86

I don't think photorealistic graphics are the final objective of graphics.. who wants a perfect rendering of their street? I live on a beautiful street in Japan but it honestly looks way better if i take a photo, because it makes it an artifact, a moment in time. Studio Ghibli films like Whisper of the Heart take supremely everyday settings are empower them with romance and power simply by virtue of the technical care they took in making a facsimile of that banal reality.

People might say Doom Eternal is as good a candidate as any current game for being called the most hawt, but it's graphics are entirely disinterested in rendering anything approaching photo realism.

I wonder if the Jedi Fallen Order dude has such Perfect hair

My take on that would be,
The idea of reaching photorealism in games is understandable. We can experience freedom & accomplish desires in games we can't really have in real life (GTA series is a good example out of many) and to do all that in the most realistic environment possible just adds to the excitement & possibilities most people are looking for.

carsar

An SSD isn't going to get us more closer to CG than more RAM. That's just a fact. DDR 5 RAM moves near 20-30Gb/s vs 5.5Gb/s on Sony's SSD. Why do you keep focusing on streaming data when the absolute preference is having that data already into RAM (which is much much faster than SSD) so you don't need to fetch it? In fact, the ultimate solution is to have all the data reside in GDDR VRAM which moves at > 600Gb/s.
Modern games have to reuse many of same assets because of vram limits space and lowspeed hdd streaming. The problems is our eyes are trained to detect similaries and differenes in images, so If you see same asset, texture many times, the virtual world would become pretty artifical even assets look good(highres, highpoly). So, permament streaming of assets from huge 100gb storage can rid games from this problems.

ZywyPL

Banned
Modern games have to reuse many of same assets because of vram limits space and lowspeed hdd streaming. The problems is our eyes are trained to detect similaries and differenes in images, so If you see same asset, texture many times, the virtual world would become pretty artifical even assets look good(highres, highpoly). So, permament streaming of assets from huge 100gb storage can rid games from this problems.

RAGE was the first game that widely addressed that with Megatextures, and as far as I know still remains the only one? But that's what I think will exactly happen thanks to streaming data from SSD - a huge variety of textures, which will allow the game to achieve another level artistically-wise.

carsar

RAGE was the first game that widely addressed that with Megatextures, and as far as I know still remains the only one?
Megatexture/virualtexture method is very popular in curentgen games.
At least Far cry 4, far cry 5, wildlands, assasins creed Origins use this method.

And yes, I see great potential of SSD+virtual textiring, tiled resourses too

"We applied our virtual texturing middleware Granite SDK to Epic's A Boy And his Kite demo. We doubled the amount of texture data in the scene from 3.5 to 7 gigapixels and reduced video memory from 4GB+ to less than 1GB for textures. The demo also had a smoother framerate than the original. "

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Sapphire Radeon RX-5700 XT Nitro SE with 1996 Mhz average has 10.219 TFLOPS

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

On Techpowerup's average, Sapphire Radeon RX-5700 XT Nitro SE (10.219 TFLOPS average) is slightly faster than GTX 1080 Ti

That's some serious shitty 1080ti

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Photorealism exists, it's solved. Look at some cars in photo mode in GT Sport and you get what you ask for, absolute photorealism, Now in animation? That will never happen. But not because of technical limitations, due to the sheer amount of work required to imitate reality so you don't mistake it for CG.

The reason why this criticism is silly to me is because I always thought videogames looked better than real-life lol. They don't need to look photo realistic because "gamey" still looks better than real life as far as I'm concerned. I like something looking like actual rendered game graphics. I like that almost cartoon, but still impressively detailed stuff I see from Spider-Man or God of War or Gears.

Halo Infinite also has a very subtle, very amazing look to it. While looking good it has a subtle cell shaded feel to it to me that I love about its appearance.

Last edited:
I just want a vr headset and software that responds to my silicon waifu ken kutaragi sex doll. I also have a Gabe Newell side doll but I keep her in the basement so as not to arouse suspicion. Ken would be so angry, but I still want to try a threesome.

Personally I only condone celebrity likeness in my games for the JAV superstars in the Yakuza series.

Jesb

Not sure I even want it. It’s going to just make less characters actually designed from ground up and instead real life people scanned into the game.

Top Bottom