• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 64 in VR on Oculus Rift with full hand tracking

Krejlooc

Banned
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...4_has_a_new_level_of_immersion_in_oculus_rift

Hand tracking achieved using Leap Motion with an oculus rift mount, using a first person hack and running through dolphin, running through the VC Emulator with headtracking enabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeX8AsoslrQ

I'm not a fan of leap motion for hand tracking, but this looks neat. I played through Wind waker like this earlier this year and it was incredible. I don't think Mario 64 would work as well, though.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'd be puking my guts out playing that.

I agree, Mario 64 in first person likely works terribly in VR. I've played Mario Galaxy in VR from a third person perspective and it works much better. This should have been a demonstration of how well third person works in VR, rather than trying to show off first person Mario 64.

SerTapTap

Poor oculus, it'll be years before people stop using the boxy DK1 in all materials relating to it.

Looks like a barf factory. IS the video encoded at 10 FPS or does the mod just actually run like that? Neat idea, but the wallkicks and stuff must be crazy nauseating and the hands are a horror show.

So that's what it would feel like to have Mario's nose, it takes up the bottom of the screen

I'd play it but kinda struggles x arms are really skinny.

Cool though

Krejlooc

Banned
Poor oculus, it'll be years before people stop using the boxy DK1 in all materials relating to it.

Looks like a barf factory. IS the video encoded at 10 FPS or does the mod just actually run like that? Neat idea, but the wallkicks and stuff must be crazy nauseating and the hands are a horror show.

This guy looks like he's playing the VR version of dolphin, which has a lot of framerate problems, rather than the stable build of dolphin using Tridef3D, which runs much better.

So perhaps it really is running at 10 fps.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
3f1005b90028ea2ea85d84533269505c.600x600x1.jpg

SerTapTap

I agree, Mario 64 in first person likely works terribly in VR. I've played Mario Galaxy in VR from a third person perspective and it works much better. This should have been a demonstration of how well third person works in VR, rather than trying to show off first person Mario 64.

Surprised there isn't more experimenting with third person perspectives, if not "flying camera" then something unusual like how Kirby's Canvas Curse is basically you looking down at Kirby's world and affecting the environment rather than playing AS kirby.

Nzyme32

Is VR not desirable from Lakitu's POV?

This is what I was thinking. Such a completely missed opportunity. There is no reason for it to be in first person, especially considering the moves mario will be doing anyway are not complimentary to VR. Having more control over lakitu and thus how you view the world outside of mario in third person would be far better

Krejlooc

Banned
Surprised there isn't more experimenting with third person perspectives, if not "flying camera" then something unusual like how Kirby's Canvas Curse is basically you looking down at Kirby's world and affecting the environment rather than playing AS kirby.

Well there's Lucky's Tale

Kyuur

At first I thought this would be one of those full-body setups, and we'd have them running and jumping and stuff.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
He says it's mario 64, but it looks like a remake more than anything. Interesting proof of concept, but something I would not want to play.

I hate this narrow-minded insistence that every VR game needs to be in first person. Use your imagination devs. Games will be amazing as third person. Mario 64 is a great example of how moving Mario with traditional controls while being immersed in the 3D world is plenty of sensory stimulation.

Edit: Ugh. I need to proof read more. Oatmeal brain today.

Lijik

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...4_has_a_new_level_of_immersion_in_oculus_rift

Hand tracking achieved using Leap Motion with an oculus rift mount, using a first person hack and running through dolphin, running through the VC Emulator with headtracking enabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeX8AsoslrQ

I'm not a fan of leap motion for hand tracking, but this looks neat. I played through Wind waker like this earlier this year and it was incredible. I don't think Mario 64 would work as well, though.

This is not whats happening at all. Its a unity project.

The DK2 implementation in Dolphin's pretty great. I recorded a video of myself playing Brawl on it. You can really move around and look at the fighters like they're toys on a playfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y99nhlwaLX0&list=UUYC0LjIsvzyEEO12P1RrBoQ

Uh, no. The YouTube description even says, "Remake of Super Mario 64 in VR". Not "super-elaborate Dolphin Virtual Console head-tracking hack." Cramming the Super Mario 64 environment into a Unity (or other) project is comparatively trivial. Also note the title screen with revised logo saying "Press Enter" instead of "Press Start."

impact

Banned
When people ask why I'm not interested at all in VR I'm gonna link them this video. The only thing it's adding to the experience is nausea and jank.

Orayn

When people ask why I'm not interested at all in VR I'm gonna link them this video. The only thing it's adding to the experience is nausea and jank.

Yes, a novel example of exploring a well-known game world in first person is the only thing VR has to offer. You have defeated the VR beast! Now we can all forget about this fad.

I'm definitely going to be in the Laggard camp for this tech.

Heh, while I understand the hesitation, don't let this example be a defining point. I personally had one of the most epic experiences I've ever had gaming leaving a stardock in Elite Dangerous.

This makes no sense.

Tain

Is VR not desirable from Lakitu's POV?

Mario 64 in third-person VR is actually really cool. If it weren't for the 30fps limitation I'd say it's the best way to play it. Hell, maybe it still is the best way with the new Dolphin build with timewarp.

I sincerely hope no one ever buys a Rift specifically because of emulated games. The experience is almost always terrible and buggy, from my experience. The games just weren't meant (or programmed...) to be played this way.

It's neat stuff from a technical standpoint, but not really practical in execution.

Devs need to embrace third person gaming when thinking of VR concepts. I always thought it was a shame that Nintendo didn't come up with something like this prior to the Wii U, as it would've been a great way to introduce a new way to experience Mario. Being surrounded by the Mushroom Kingdom no matter where you look but still anchored to Mario's position and able to adjust the camera position with the second analog stick. Platformers would benefit immensely from the immersion experience of a VR headset, as well as the added camera functionality of looking and tilting your head to observe the environment or to get a better look at a platform.

Jachaos

That's pretty cool. Of course the stutter is annoying but the description mentions that's the recording software.

The fact you can open doors moving the arms and all is pretty cool.

Top Bottom