• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT:Airbnb Listings Mostly Illegal, New York State Contends

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/b...Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=Blogs&_r=0

Airbnb, the pioneering home rental service, presents itself as useful and virtuous, but the reality is far less benign, according to a report that Eric T. Schneiderman, the New York attorney general, released on Thursday.

The report will say nearly three-quarters of all Airbnb rentals in the city are illegal, violating zoning or other laws. Commercial operators, not hard-luck residents, supply more than a third of the units and generate more than a third of the revenue. At least a handful of landlords are running what amount to illegal hostels.

Property owners on Airbnb are indeed making money, but it is not being spread around. Most rentals are in three high-profile Manhattan neighborhoods. Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island barely figure.

Airbnb declined to aggressively dispute the numbers in the report, which draws on four years of data it provided to the attorney general after a court fight.

“We need to move forward,” an Airbnb spokesman, Nick Papas, said. “We need to work together on some sensible rules that stop bad actors and protect regular people who simply want to share the home in which they live.”

Airbnb, which is most likely contemplating a public offering in the next few years, seemed eager to avoid another fight. Its latest round of fund-raising put its valuation at $10 billion.

The housing broker and its imitators, like the taxi service Uber and its clones, have been prompting upheaval just about everywhere they go.

Admirers say these stars of the so-called sharing economy are breaking up monopolies that have grown greedy and lazy. They are empowering individuals. Critics say that the start-ups are unsavory efforts to avoid regulation and taxes, and that the very term “sharing economy” is ridiculous.

Has anyone had a good/bad experience with AirBnB or room sharing? If so, please share your thoughts.

I'm interesting, not only from working in real estate, but from the headache looking for an apartment in NYC can be.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'll cross-post this.

I think AirBNB is probably going to wind up going away in NYC in it's current capacity. I think Uber isn't far behind.

My neighbor got kicked out of her apartment for renting it on airbnb.

I liked her and felt bad, but I don't blame the owner. A top floor apartement was turning the roof of our building into frat daddy party central every weekend.

We were somewhat lucky in that we have duplexed bedrooms and the bedroom directly under the roof is an office. So, our actual bedroom had a buffer of our office. Could still hear music and jumping sometimes.

I didn't say anything, but it was getting old. I live in the UWS to avoid that kind of stuff. I'd move to Kips Bay and save money if I didn't mind parties.

Then there is the question to how much damage was this causing to the apartment. I would walk out in the hallway and there would be trashcan bags full of empties just sitting there. The owner rented to a single tenant who passed a background and income check. Who knows who these people were who were coming into our building?

I went from leaving my door unlocked while walking my dogs to having to lock my apartment and worry about packages in the entryway. 15 units means I know everyone in the building.. until one became a revolving door.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'll cross-post this.

I think AirBNB is probably going to wind up going away much like Uber.

I liked her and felt bad, but I don't blame the owner. A top floor apartement was turning the roof of our building into frat daddy party central every weekend.

We were somewhat lucky in that we have duplexed bedrooms and the bedroom directly under the roof is an office. So, our actual bedroom had a buffer of our office. Could still hear music and jumping sometimes.

I didn't say anything, but it was getting old. I live in the UWS to avoid that kind of stuff. I'd move to Kips Bay and save money if I didn't mind parties.

If cities are going to do away with services like Uber then they had better come up with functionality like they were offering.

StoOgE

If cities are going to do away with services like Uber then they had better come up with functionality like they were offering.

Uber is a way for drivers to avoid paying for a Taxi Badge in most cases, and with a taxi driver they have rules they have to follow and will lose their badge for accidents or tickets.

Whose car are you getting into with Uber?

I don't know, I've used Uber outside of NYC (not really necessary here) and have had good experiences, and had another where I had to kick someones trash away from my feet.

Slayven

I'll cross-post this.

I think AirBNB is probably going to wind up going away in NYC in it's current capacity. I think Uber isn't far behind.

Then there is the question to how much damage was this causing to the apartment. I would walk out in the hallway and there would be trashcan bags full of empties just sitting there. The owner rented to a single tenant who passed a background and income check. Who knows who these people were who were coming into our building?

I went from leaving my door unlocked while walking my dogs to having to lock my apartment and worry about packages in the entryway. 15 units means I know everyone in the building.. until one became a revolving door.

I always wondered about the liability issues with these kind of things.

numble

Seems like every licensed taxi in China is running an app on their phone that announces nearby ride requests from people on their smartphones. That'll probably do.

StoOgE

Seems like every licensed taxi in China is running an app on their phone that announces nearby ride requests from people on their smartphones. That'll probably do.

Most cab companies have similar apps as well that allow you to request a ride.

Dany

Banned
Uber is a way for drivers to avoid paying for a Taxi Badge in most cases.

Uber and lyft were on their way of being banned in Illinois but the governor veto'ed the legislation.

I've used airBNB when I was in SF and it was great. The reason why NYC might ban it is because residents are avoiding taxes? Like...what taxes and dues aren't being payed for?

Like if I want to rent out the spare room here for $500 a month, But thats on my own accord, not the landlords.

numble

Uber and lyft were on their way of being banned in Illinois but the governor veto'ed the legislation.

I've used airBNB when I was in SF and it was great. The reason why NYC might ban it is because residents are avoiding taxes? Like...what taxes and dues aren't being payed for?

Like if I want to rent out the spare room here for $500 a month, But thats on my own accord, not the landlords.
The rent contract might not allow you to sublet for one.

There are companies that are renting or owning tons of apartments and are basically in the hotel business, without the licenses and the hotel bed taxes.

Enron

Banned
I'll cross-post this.

Yeah, stuff like this is why I am extremely anti-AirBnB. I wouldn't mind if every major city just decided that shit was illegal.

StoOgE

It's the landlords accord if they don't allow subleasing.

And hotel taxes, they are substantial in the city, and renting out an apartment like a hotel room or sub-let is a way for a lot of people to make money and the city to get cut out of the revenue that they rely on to cover the cost of infrastructure to support tourism. Some rentals are one-offs like my neighbor, but there are large commercial ventures that buy condos and buildings and list them on airbnb. Basically a hotel operator avoiding paying taxes.

It's also causing rent to rise in the city and a fair number of rent controlled apartments have been found on airbnb that appear to basically be full-time hotel rooms at this point.

Uber is a way for drivers to avoid paying for a Taxi Badge in most cases, and with a taxi driver they have rules they have to follow and will lose their badge for accidents or tickets.

Whose car are you getting into with Uber?

I don't know, I've used Uber outside of NYC (not really necessary here) and have had good experiences, and had another where I had to kick someones trash away from my feet.

YMMV

Only took a Uber cab once, because a friend was covering for it, and I couldn't enjoy it because in the back of me head I thought that there was nothing preventing me from robbing the guy or that he could rob us. He also had serious BO issues.

As much as I hate the tenuous regulation in NYC, it exists to protect people from abusive operators who have no business operating without safety guidelines or without recourse. You gotta work for that medallion, same way hotel and hostel operators have to work for that approval to operate. AirBnb and this sharing economy buzzword flying around affects not only the renter and rentee using it, but every neighbor that has to deal with their building being turned into a hostel.

It's not taxes, it's to do with regulations separating housing from hotels. The problem is NYC is finding that landlords are taking apartments intended for housing and turning them into hotels/hostels and renting them on AirBNB for short terms to make way more money. This is bad because these buildings aren't meant for a parade of short term visitors; see StoOgE's post for why this is a bad thing.

Uber is also total scum. They are trying to hide behind "ridesharing" to operate an illegal taxi company and avoid all market regulation. Fuck them.

Sai-kun

Banned
I hope this doesn't affect my trip there in December.

a friend had a good experience with using it to rent a house in Florida for a couple weeks for us and a bunch of other friends, which was awesome, but that was a house and I can definitely see why Stooge and people in his situation would dislike it.

StoOgE

I don't think most cab companies in smaller markets actually do have that. I wonder why Uber is simply not offering licensing deals to those companies...

because uber is a cab company who gets a cut of all fairs. Why would they want to help the competition?

YMMV

Only took a Uber cab once, because a friend was covering for it, and I couldn't enjoy it because in the back of me head I thought that there was nothing preventing me from robbing the guy or that he could rob us. He also had serious BO issues.

As much as I hate the tenuous regulation in NYC, it exists to protect people from abusive operators who have no business operating without safety guidelines or without recourse. You gotta work for that medallion, same way hotel and hostel operators have to work for that approval to operate. AirBnb and this sharing economy buzzword flying around affects not only the renter and rentee using it, but every neighbor that has to deal with their building being turned into a hostel.
Are taxi partitions still a thing? I've never been in a normal taxi with one in there.

Are taxi partitions still a thing? I've never been in a normal taxi with one in there.

Yellow/Green cabs have them in NYC.

Thanks to Mayor Di Blasio, he has pushed MTA service back and gave more leeway to the Taxi companies floating around the 5 boroughs to gain more fares.

He's trying to keep Uber from being a common choice in NYC. I'm glad he is, even if it means crappier MTA service in the outer boroughs.

Dies Iræ

I'm visiting NYC next week using airbnb, it's the only way that I can afford to visit. I hope this service continues to exist in its current state. If there's a large drop in listings, prices will rise...

Tom_Cody

I have a condo in Williamsburg and Airbnb has proven to be a contentious issue.

This is the key issue to me with both Airbnb and Uber.

There is a libertarian part of me that thinks these services should be allowed to exist, but ultimately that thinking is short-sighted. Regulations and taxes exist for a reason. It might seem nice to get a good deal on a taxi or hotel room (so to speak) every once is a while, but these are bad for the system in the long term.

entremet

AirBnB and Uber are great services. I hope they don't die in NYC due to overregulation.

Overregaluation is killing NYC.

Yellow cabs are garbage. As a minority male, I can NEVER get a yellow cab. Uber does me well and it's very convenient.

Fuck Yellow Cabs.

shuri

Banned
Most cab companies have similar apps as well that allow you to request a ride.
Yep, here in Montreal we have this for the Diamonds taxi company, and it's great. It's hilarious because the app looks like when you call a cab in GTA. You can track your cab driving around, coming your wait, and you can watch him park close to you and the virtual cab starts flashing away on the interface.

I would never use UBER, I don't feel safe getting into a car with some random person and their random ass personal car. Here taxis are super inspected and dudes are keeping it clean and functionnal. They have their bosses to slam their asses if something happens, there's a whole liability thing going on.

Stooge's post is spot on about security, liability and quality of life issues with AirBNB for other people. There's also the issues with companies and random joes 'hoarding' apartments by renting whatever is available as spots for AirBNB; and then owners get wise to this and starts boosting rental prices for everybody.

AirBnB and Uber are great services. I hope they don't die in NYC due to overregulation.

Overregaluation is killing NYC.

Yellow cabs are garbage. As a minority male, I can NEVER get a yellow cab. Uber does me well and it's very convenient.

Fuck Yellow Cabs.

Don't you keep black cab numbers on your phone just in case?

Thanks to the pressure from Uber, most cab companies are beginning to offer online cab ordering/proprietary cab apps.

entremet

Don't you keep black cab numbers on your phone just in case?

Thanks to the pressure from Uber, most cab companies are beginning to offer online cab ordering/proprietary cab apps.

Black cabs?

Do what now?

Die.

The recent AirBnB killer law was passed by NYS and was heavily lobbied by the hotel industry of course. It's pretty obvious monied interest wants to kill these services and are lobbying to do so.

Yeah, stuff like this is why I am extremely anti-AirBnB. I wouldn't mind if every major city just decided that shit was illegal.

I don't necessarily agree with this completely.

If the owner/landlord does not want this stuff to happen, then they should put a no-sublet clause into their tenant contracts. People who do AirBnB would therefore be in violation of the agreement and subject to eviction.

For people who own their property, they should be able to do what they want (assuming there is no HOA agreement in place that precludes it).

Black cabs?

Private cab service. Like Dial 7?

If the owner/landlord does not want this stuff to happen, then they should put a no-sublet clause into their tenant contracts. People who do AirBnB would therefore be in violation of the agreement and subject to eviction.

For people who own their property, they should be able to do what they want (assuming there is no HOA agreement in place that precludes it).

Most LLs and/or the RE company covering the building as Agent would have that standard. Only condo owners should have that luxury.

Also, eviction proceedings in NYC are very complicated and can be drawn out as long as 3-6 months. It's not a speedy or cheap process.

It's the landlords accord if they don't allow subleasing.

And hotel taxes, they are substantial in the city, and renting out an apartment like a hotel room or sub-let is a way for a lot of people to make money and the city to get cut out of the revenue that they rely on to cover the cost of infrastructure to support tourism. Some rentals are one-offs like my neighbor, but there are large commercial ventures that buy condos and buildings and list them on airbnb. Basically a hotel operator avoiding paying taxes.

It's also causing rent to rise in the city and a fair number of rent controlled apartments have been found on airbnb that appear to basically be full-time hotel rooms at this point.

This seems like an easy fix for AirBnB. Single domicile listings only.

StoOgE

Die.

The recent AirBnB killer law was passed by NYS and was heavily lobbied by the hotel industry of course.

I'm legitimately curious how you think NYC is being killed by regulation?

Seems the economy is doing well, construction is through the roof and the city is in the middle of extending two subway lines and building an entire new neighborhood on the West side.

Seems the city is rolling in ways it hasn't since what the 50s and 60s? Maybe the 20s and 30s?

As far as the "lobby". Yeah, if I was a hotel I wouldn't be happy a hotel is opening up and getting a 20 dollar a night built in discount because they don't have to pay a tax. Or staff. Or pass inspections as rigorously as I do. Same with Taxi drivers. If I bought a badge for a million dollars I would be pretty pissed that some dude is running around with his car and an app stealing business.

numble

Black cabs?

Die.

The recent AirBnB killer law was passed by NYS and was heavily lobbied by the hotel industry of course. It's pretty obvious monied interest wants to kill these services and are lobbying to do so.
AirBnB heavily lobbied against it. It's pretty obvious monied interest wants to keep these services and are lobbying to do so. They even spend millions on political messages in the subway.

What about zoning? If someone rents out on AirBnB a lot in a residential zone, are you ok with that? isn't it an unfair advantage because a hotel cannot set something up on the same zone?

numble

This seems like an easy fix for AirBnB. Single domicile listings only.
First, what business wants to willingly fractionalize their revenue potential? They earn a fee per stay and if they don't let these private hotels do what they do, they won't be making as much money.

There are still AirBnB users that establish multiple accounts.

JaggedSac

I'll cross-post this.

You are a saint for not saying anything. So AirBnB doesn't require the person to actually provide proof of ownership?

entremet

Seems the economy is doing well, construction is through the roof and the city is in the middle of extending two subway lines and building an entire new neighborhood on the West side.

Seems the city is rolling in ways it hasn't since what the 50s and 60s? Maybe the 20s and 30s?

As far as the "lobby". Yeah, if I was a hotel I wouldn't be happy a hotel is opening up and getting a 20 dollar a night built in discount because they don't have to pay a tax. Or staff. Or pass inspections as rigorously as I do. Same with Taxi drivers. If I bought a badge for a million dollars I would be pretty pissed that some dude is running around with his car and an app stealing business.

Real estate is a big one. NYC zoning laws are very limited, along with endless permits and such. Building new units is extremely expensive, so all new construction is mostly of the luxury variety.

I stared at the thread title and the only thing on my mind was
Noel : Air Grab > 5B/2B > 5C > sj.C > j.D > d.6B > d.5C > d.6B > 22C~66 > 6C > 6B > 22B

Now that I know what AirBnB is I'm not sure what to think. Uber has been a great way for some people around here to make side cash, and I'm not a big fan of regulating things. Though I can see why transportation and lodging need some level of regulating.

Private cab service. Like Dial 7?

Most LLs and/or the RE company covering the building as Agent would have that standard. Only condo owners should have that luxury.

Also, eviction proceedings in NYC are very complicated and can be drawn out as long as 3-6 months. It's not a speedy or cheap process.

To your first point, yes, I would think it would be standard.

As for your second point, maybe that is the solution here, empower the landlords with a fast-lane eviction for sublet violations. I'm not an expert, obviously, I'm just trying to find a way for this service to exist while cracking down on the people exploiting it.

StoOgE

To your first point, yes, I would think it would be standard.

As for your second point, maybe that is the solution here, empower the landlords with a fast-lane eviction for sublet violations. I'm not an expert, obviously, I'm just trying to find a way for this service to exist while cracking down on the people exploiting it.

Right, but those rental protections exist to keep people in rent controlled apartments and to keep landlords from booting everyone to build a more profitable building where they rent.

So to accommodate airbnb we are going to gut tenant restrictions that took decades to put in place?

I bet if there was a review of the licensing requirements that are currently existing for hotel lodgings and cab companies, there could be a few things that need revisions. I feel the same way about the outdated zoning laws in certain sections of NYC, but that would take actual work from politicians plus a tax structure that would benefit said politicians.

Not all regulation exists to protects consumers, but to create arbitrary barriers to entry. As a moderate, I don't support onerous legislation that favors one business over another.

StoOgE

Real estate is a big one. NYC zoning laws are very limited, along with endless permits and such. Building new units is extremely expensive, so all new construction is mostly of the luxury variety.

New construction follows money. Manhattan is very pricey land and construction is very expensive now, ergo luxury construction is on the rise. This obviously includes Brooklyn and LIC at this point. Not a lot the city can do to change that.

The city is doing a good job of extracting a lot of low income housing from developers for air rights. They need to stop the "poor door" issue, but the city is doing a reasonably good job getting low income housing built in exchange for loosening up permitting on new development.

It's part of Deblasios campaign plan and it's working pretty good considering it's low income housing on the most expensive island in the world.

Fugu

I'm looking for a place to stay in New York for a weekend. AirBnB is fast approaching the only way to do that for under $200 a night.

They can't can that shit without also doing something about the insane prices of accommodations.

StoOgE

I bet if there was a review of the licensing requirements that are currently existing for hotel lodgings and cab companies, there could be a few things that need revisions. I feel the same way about the outdated zoning laws in certain sections of NYC, but that would take actual work from politicians plus a tax structure that would benefit said politicians.

Not all regulation exists to protects consumers, but to create arbitrary barriers to entry. As a moderate, I don't support onerous legislation that favors one business over another.

Bed Taxes are also high because they are used to pay for a lot of stuff.

It's a "free" tax since it only hits visitors and not voters so a ton of programs across the country get paid for with increases to bed taxes.

entremet

New construction follows money. Manhattan is very pricey land and construction is very expensive now, ergo luxury construction is on the rise. This obviously includes Brooklyn and LIC at this point. Not a lot the city can do to change that.

The city is doing a good job of extracting a lot of low income housing from developers for air rights. They need to stop the "poor door" issue, but the city is doing a reasonably good job getting low income housing built in exchange for loosening up permitting on new development.

It's part of Deblasios campaign plan and it's working pretty good considering it's low income housing on the most expensive island in the world.

You live in NYC, Stooge?

I thought you were in Texas.

Funny thing is I lived in Texas until I was six.

I agree, and to add, civil service workers are given first priority on any lottery to most of those developments. A nice concession if you're a cop or fireman or a city worker of any kind.

What about zoning? If someone rents out on AirBnB a lot in a residential zone, are you ok with that? isn't it an unfair advantage because a hotel cannot set something up on the same zone?

I'm not concerned about zoning violations for single domicile listings. Hell, half of the Outer Banks, NC is rented in the same way as AirBnB.

Owners of a property (without a binding HOA agreement) should be allowed to do what they want with their property.

First, what business wants to willingly fractionalize their revenue potential? They earn a fee per stay and if they don't let these private hotels do what they do, they won't be making as much money.

There are still AirBnB users that establish multiple accounts.

I suppose it comes down to what AirBnB want their service to be. Do they want it to be a way for hotels to list their rooms or do they want it to be a service for individuals to list their homes when they are away? The former skirts the law/taxes in major metropolitan areas, the latter does not (usually).

As for multiple accounts, you still have to provide contact information do you not? A permanent address/PO Box? Pretty easy to check for duplicates.

numble

I'm looking for a place to stay in New York for a weekend. AirBnB is fast approaching the only way to do that for under $200 a night.

They can't can that shit without also doing something about the insane prices of accommodations.
AirBnB a actually makes housing prices go up. Why should the landlord rent a place for $1500 when he can charge $100/night and get $3000?

StoOgE

So you want to travel to an insanely expensive city but want it to be cheap.

The hotel has to employ people who need to be able to afford to live in NYC which means it is going to be pricey.

Believe me, my monthly rent is over 4K. It stinks, but I want to live here and not in NJ or Long Island so I pay it.

You can stay in Hoboken, Jersey City or Queens for less than 200 a night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom