• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2006 to be the best year ever for gaming?

SantaC

Seriously, just looking at some of the high quality stuff that has arrived or is scheduled to arrive this year, it could very well be.

GRAW (360)
Oblivion (360, PC)
NSMB (DS)
Zelda PH (DS)
Ghost N Goblins (PSP)
Zelda TP (GC)
FFXII (PS2)
Children of Mana (DS)
KH2 (PS2)
<Insert Rev Launch titles>
<Insert PS3 Launch titles>
<New Castlevania DS game coming>

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
Not really.

I'll go for 2007, since the Rev and PS3 are going to be released late this year. 2007 is gonna be one hell of a year with the start of a new generation.

Stench

Banned
6600040585.gif
6600040585.gif
6600040585.gif

Mrbob

PuertoRicanJuice said:
Can we say that gaming gets better every year, or is that too easy?

I thought GAF said gaming was getting stale and we need the Revmote to save the industry. :/

Kroole

Quake Wars (PC) is the one I'm (suprisingly) most looking forward to and this is coming from someone who hasn't really been into anything id or FPS related since Q3.

SantaC

Archie said:
Wasn't the same thing said about 2005?

And 2004?

And each year before that?

it was a lie. Personally it was 1998 for me.

But seriously, when was the last time a new mario, two new zelda and a new final fantasy came out in the SAME year?

Jiggy

Depends. If any three or more of the following happens...

-Pokemon Diamond/Pearl worldwide release this year
-Smash Bros. is a Revolution launch title
-FFVI Advance makes it out this year
-Mother 3 gets a US release

...then I'd say yes no question.
...Actually, if just one of the first two happened, I'd probably say yes no question.

Solid

Reilly said:
God of War 2 comes out in 2007, so no.
this is the correct answer. so far 2006 have been very dull. a good is a good year around, not only for the last 3 months.

PS3
Revolution
DSlite
PSP2?
DMC3gh
MGS3:S
Oblivion
Tetris DS
MP: Hunters
KH2
FF12
Okami
Zelda GC/DS
Mario DS
Yakuza
Honestly, Too Human and Gears of War don't have me super excited, but if KOTOR3 made it this year I'd be happy about another 360 game.

Solid said:
this is the correct answer. so far 2006 have been very dull. a good is a good year around, not only for the last 3 months.

I agree Jan. and Feb were a little slow, but for me atleast March has seen a ton of high-quality stuff come out. I wouldn't call it very dull at all, although if I didn't have a 360 and PSP, maybe I'd think differently.

snatches

2007. You will see MGS4, Halo 3, GTA Next Gen. And most assuredly a shit ton of other swesome stuff as 360 goes into year 3 of development and PS3 has its 2nd full year of development.

2006 is the appetizer.

Not to mention seeing what Nintendo can pull off with that crazy new NES.

PC games am cry.
- Hellgate: London
- Alan Wake
- Quake Wars
- Dreamfall
- Sam & Max Sequel

If they make it in 2006...

VALIS

Solid said:

Oblivion, GRAW, MGS3: Substinence, Fight Night Round 3, Daxter, Mega Man Powered Up, Onimusha, Age of Empires DS, Drill Dozer, Exit, Full Auto, Tokobot, Tetris DS, Kingdom Hearts II, Black, Princess Peach, 24, Me & My Katamari, Metal Gear Acid 2, Burnout Revenge, The Outfit, Syphon Filter, DMC 3: SE, Dead or Alive 4, Toca 3, Shadow Hearts, Ape Escape 3, Grandia III, Chibi-Robo, Electroplankton, Pokemon Trozei, Rub Rabbits, Galactic Civilizations, plus more, all in three months.

It hasn't been boring by a longshot. It might just be that you (and plenty of others here) aren't very good at this hobby. Terribly limited tastes dictated by fanboy agendas and other self-defeating pre-conceptions... what do you expect? It must be boring all the time.

AniHawk

ManaByte said:

Yep. The closest to this was 2004, and not even that could beat it.

2006... man. Lotsa great games coming out from HUGE franchises.

Last year was really good, but most of the great games were relatively unknown or overlooked by the general public (Indigo Prophecy, Psychonauts, Shadow of the Colossus, Dragon Quest VIII, and Fepor).

J2 Cool

'98 was great. Fall 2001 was also awesome for last gen. DMC, GTA3, MGS2, Halo, Xbox launch, Gamecube launch, and FFX. Each hitting in consecutive weeks or every other week. At that time, they all had crazy impact on the gaming's future too. In hindsight it's not as impressive, but that was a hell of a time to be playing games.

This could be the year that FINALLY crushes '98 for me.

Kingdom Hearts II
Phantasy Star Universe
Final Fantasy XII
Yakuza
Okami
Twilight Princess
Armored Core: Last Raven

Mm..

Striek

>>>2006 to be the best year ever for gaming?

Maybe, its certainly going to be up there, but not because of many of the games you've listed ;)

SantaC

AniHawk said:
Yep. The closest to this was 2004, and not even that could beat it.

2006... man. Lotsa great games coming out from HUGE franchises.

Last year was really good, but most of the great games were relatively unknown or overlooked by the general public (Indigo Prophecy, Psychonauts, Shadow of the Colossus, Dragon Quest VIII, and Fepor).

yeah but I think zelda tp and FFXII will make or break this year for me. If one of these games somehow gets delayed AGAIN, especially zelda tp, then damn!

Archie said:
Wasn't the same thing said about 2005?

And 2004?

And each year before that?

Every year is a good year for gaming :).

Its just getting trough those droughts sometimes thats a bit hard.

snatches

VALIS said:
Oblivion, GRAW, MGS3: Substinence, Fight Night Round 3, Daxter, Mega Man Powered Up, Onimusha, Age of Empires DS, Drill Dozer, Exit, Full Auto, Tokobot, Tetris DS, Kingdom Hearts II, Black, Princess Peach, 24, Me & My Katamari, Metal Gear Acid 2, Burnout Revenge, The Outfit, Syphon Filter, DMC 3: SE, Dead or Alive 4, Toca 3, Shadow Hearts, Ape Escape 3, Grandia III, Chibi-Robo, Electroplankton, Pokemon Trozei, Rub Rabbits, Galactic Civilizations, plus more, all in three months.

It hasn't been boring by a longshot. It might just be that you (and plenty of others here) aren't very good at this hobby. Terribly limited tastes dictated by fanboy agendas and other self-defeating pre-conceptions... what do you expect? It must be boring all the time.

Post of the Year. You just broke GAF.

AZ Greg said:
The best year for gaming will be whatever year Halo 3 comes out! :D

If it manages not to suck, like Halo 2.

Ill tell them what to do though, write a story based on the Fall of Reach book (make it a prequel, I dont give a shit), fix the fucking lvl design (for real this time) and add some interesting gameplay features (why not zero-g combat, like in the book), speed it up a little, add a little melee combat to the mix. And last but not least, it needs to raise the bar gfx wise like the first Halo did. Oh and add campaign coop over live bitches.

VALIS said:
Terribly refined tastes dictated by full agendas and other self-defeating pre-conceptions... what do you expect? It must be boring all the time.

Just went ahead and fixed that for you :D.

D3VI0US

2006 is more like the most expensive year. 2007 will be the best year as we'll get next gen games that really come into their own. We'll see Downloadable Games and Classic Game libraries really grow. We'll see devs get a handle on the Revmote, see the added support of the DS explosion and likely see the hardware maxed. We'll see PSP finally hitting that mass where it get a regular stream of great games. We'll see Halo 3 and most likely MS' next huge XBL update much like the one that coincided with Halo 2. We might even see the MS portable. Online support going full blast on all platforms and even some innovation there for consoles. DX10 and Vista and XNA and all sorts of other good tech will show why PC will always be around. I really expect MS to push their Vista and PC games along with some sort of PC Live/Windows Messenger combo. 2006 is just the warmup, 2007 is when everyone is already on the scene and has to make real plays for turf and they're gonna throw some major blows at E3 07.

Top Bottom