• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2006 to be the best year ever for gaming?

Last Hope

If Vista is all it says it is, then it may be the best thing to happen to PC gaming in a while. But it is not expected till 2007.

2001 was a very good year.

Gran Turismo
Metal Gear Solid 2
Devil May Cry
Grand Theft Auto III
Halo
Super Smash Bros Melee
Final Fantasy X
Tony Hawk 2 GBA
Castlevania Circle of the Moon
Super Mario Advance
Mario Kart Circuit
Ace Combat 4
Silent Hill 2
Pikmin
Jak & Daxter

2006 WILL LIKELY NOT be remembered as a great year in gaming, IMO. It's simply a good year, with folks caught up in the moment. It will take a year before we know how good it actually is.

So far, it's actually kind of average.

Beowvlf

Banned
Way too early to decide if this will be the best year ever, but I'm thinking it'll at least be the best year since 2001 (which was just ridiculously awesome). 1991, 1997 and 1998 are other classic years that will be tough to beat.

However, there's a ridiculous amount of titles that will likely be fighting for my personal GOTY at the end of December:

Exit
Mega Man: Powered Up
MGS3: Subsistence
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
Daxter
Kingdom Hearts II
Field Commander
New Super Mario Bros.
Ninety Nine Nights
Okami
Yakuza
Final Fantasy III
Warhawk
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Every Extend Extra
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Final Fantasy XII
Heavenly Sword
Loco Roco
Disgaea 2
Valkyrie Profile ~Silmeria~
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
Ultimate Ghouls n' Ghosts
Phantasy Star Universe
Seiken Densetsu 4

That is one absurd (and still incomplete) list. 2006 is definitely going to rock hard.

Every year always looks like its gonna be THE BEST YEAR, but it never is. A lot of games will disapoint, be delayed, or have some sort of unusual GAF controversy over it (overrated/underrated). Its all in the eyes of the beholder, or in this case, the individual gamer.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
SantaCruZer said:
Seriously, just looking at some of the high quality stuff that has arrived or is scheduled to arrive this year, it could very well be.

GRAW (360)
Oblivion (360, PC)
NSMB (DS)
Zelda PH (DS)
Ghost N Goblins (PSP)
Zelda TP (GC)
FFXII (PS2)
Children of Mana (DS)
KH2 (PS2)
<Insert Rev Launch titles>
<Insert PS3 Launch titles>
<New Castlevania DS game coming>
You missed like, a LOT of games. I am ashamed. This topic could've been awesome if you did it right. And CoM? WTF?

Odysseus

Banned
I hope Mass Effect and Too Human both get pushed into 2007 so I only need to buy one game this year and zero consoles.

Actually, best case scenario would be for Final Fantasy XII to slip to 2007, as well. That would be perfect. But, seeing that the game is already out in Japan, this is doubtful.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
This year is one of the best (if not THE BEST) years in gaming history.

GRAW
Oblivion
Zelda: TP
Zelda: PH
New Super Mario Bros.
Okami
Metroid Prime Hunters
Gears of War
Final Fantasy XII
Kingdom Hearts II
MGS3: Subsistence
and the list goes on and on
Launch of PS3 with one or two killer app(s)
Launch of Revolution with at least 2 killer apps (Metroid 3, SSBR, Mario 128, ... ???)

Pikelet said:
i wonder what the best year for gaming would be if they used gamerankings as a reference.
Besides that, how would one quantify a best year? The year with the most 90+? The year with the highest sum score for the top 5? 10? 15? The year with the highest average?

ziran

There are many great releases coming this year and down the line I'm sure 2006 will, like a fine wine, age very well.

I think 2006 will be remembered as one of the all time highs in gaming.

Speevy

Banned
Any year that contains the creative pinnacle of handheld gaming, two new console launches, and the first stride of an already released console deserves serious consideration.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
sf2fanatic said:
I KNOW ARCADE GAMING HAS BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS BUT.............

BEST YEAR OF ALL TIME

1992- STREETFIGHTER 2 / MORTAL KOMBAT

ENOUGH SAID.......

ARCADE GAMING WAS NEVER THE SAME...IN MY OPINION :D
sf2fanatic
(Today, 06:04 PM)
Reply | Quote

i question the impartiality of this post

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If not the best year, it's definintely one of the best contendors for the hor.

-Zelda: TP
-New Super Mario Bros. (please change this fucking title, Nintendo)
-FFXII
-Okami
-Oblivion (get it? :D )
-Tetris DS
-Kingdom Hearts II

And supposedly Mario 128 as well. (though I doubt this)

Deku

Banned
Depends on what kind of games you like.

I've been playing a lot of PC games in the last 3-4 years, spent a lot of time on FFXI for one. The DS has rekindled by interest in a lot of the old school established console properties and introduced me to new genres, like the Metroid Prime games.

For me, it's a good year, considering this is supposed to be the year of the Hardware, when PS3 and Revolution launches, software seems to be flowing, thanks to the DS.

This year will be great with games like New Super Mario Bros and Brain Training. The PS3 and it's launch games should be spectacular as well. On the other hand, 2007 has Revolution launch, Twilight Princess and second wave of PS3 titles. So I'd have to guess that 2007 will be better.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
2007 will be insane like 2001, which saw release of GTA3, FFX, MGS2, Halo, GT3, DMC,Super Smash Bros and more..

Check out some stuff that is most likely due to hit in 2007

GTA4
MGS4
Halo3
God of War 2
Killzone 3
Rachet and Clank 3
Gran Turismo 5
Biohazard 5
Some huge Nintendo Rev game, most likely Metroid or Zelda
Wolfenstien

Top Bottom