• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This War of Mine |OT| War, War Never Changes

Labrys

rI63FLN.png

I6LT7F2.png

jTOqRra.png

Fqzf93P.png

LwQ7dFZ.png

bv440j9.png

Cheat Code Central - 88
"This War of Mine eats away at your sanguine disposition, and yet you are compelled and determined to keep trying to survive."
Digital Spy - 80
"This War of Mine creates an oppressively bleak landscape, but with just enough humanity shining through that you want to keep digging to find and hold onto that source of light."
Venturebeat - 80
"It’s gripping, a beautiful depiction of an ugly time, and, fittingly, depressing as hell."
Wired - No Score
"...it comes down to individuals like the ones in This War of Mine: People like you or me trapped in appalling scenarios, their social constructs crumbling, needing basic shelter(...)and perhaps most of all, a reason in all the madness not to check out for good."
Cubed³ - 10/10
"This War of Mine is arguably one of the most powerful games ever created at conveying the troubling reality of war in an emotional and thought-provoking way."

wT7KEXx.png

SH61rvg.png

Thanks for the OT!

Hella stressful game. State Of Decay meets Papers Please seems about right from what I have played. There is lots of resource anxiety and tough decisions to make.

Here is how my first 5 days went down:

Got raided so Pavle is wounded. Need meds, but people trading it want A LOT in exchange. I made a shovel to clear rubble and can be used as a weapon. When nearly everyone is tired or sick, I just stayed in for the second night. Haven't gone into the more "Caution advised" areas, just really want to heal my dudes. Anyone know how to make like a healing station or do I have to wait for survivors to come up on my door to trade who want A LOT in exchange for meds or search out in other locations for them?

Feel bad for not being able to help the homeless, but it's not a great situation for anyone.

iMWkK8QiE1ulz.png

Azuardo

One of our guys at Cubed3 awarded this a 10/10, if you fancied adding that to the OP.

Sounds like a very interesting game. About time there was a game that focused on the people caught up in the middle of war, and to put the reality of the situation at the forefront. Sounds quite touching.

Labrys

One of our guys at Cubed3 awarded this a 10/10, if you fancied adding that to the OP.

Sounds like a very interesting game. About time there was a game that focused on the people caught up in the middle of war, and to put the reality of the situation at the forefront. Sounds quite touching.

Added, sorry I missed that. A+ review.

I'd been watching this game for a while, so I'm glad to see it's getting recognition. I'm hoping people will give it a try with all the positive reviews it has.

Labrys

The game is pretty insane. Is it roguelike?

I dunno if there's an endgoal or not.
Only rougelike I've played is Binding of Issac, but it does have permadeath for characters if they die, and when you start it back up it's randomized. Characters, number of characters, supplies in house (iirc), and season is random.

Plays with a controller well?

I've only played with mouse and keyboard, but it's simple enough I'd imagine it would be.

Labrys

I spent a good 5 hours playing today. My impressions:

There's definitely a strong angle on the conscience thing. I stole from
an old couple, later leading to their deaths and it kinda hit me hard, even though my people themselves would have died without the food

Nonetheless 3/4 of my guys did end up dying (2 to a knife fight, 1 to starvation). I stopped for the night on Day 21, single character (Bruno, Great Cook, also a Smoker), fully boarded up shelter with alarm system door. Gonna see if I can recruit anyone else later, if he survives.

Overall, it's living up to my hype! I'm really enjoying it, and I've only really touched the surface of it.

Amir0x

Banned
I only heard about this game days ago, but it immediately shot up my most wanted list. It's so amazing what games can do

Jackpot

Banned
c&p my impressions from other thread.

meh, it's rather dull. If your favourite part of State of Decay was navigating the home base construction menus then this is the game for you.

And the Polygon quote is even more stupid now that I've played it.

Morat

Banned
I really hope it lives up to its premise. So few of what I would call 'idea' games do, Papers Please being a notable exception

Pachimari

Have been waiting for this for months and yet I thought it was a first person game. This seems more interesting though.

I resorted to stealing from the hospital with my sweetest character, Bruno. Most of the time I stole, no one noticed. But I think as soon as the person whose area you stole from sees you, they recognise what was missing and will run after you. Bruno came back but was depressed.
iJknHp19CgHFj.gif

I made Pavle have a chat with him that times are tough, and for a while he felt better. But the guilt weighed on me as a player. I made Marko (the good scavenger) kill a dude with a gun with the knife I made [video], but other dudes came and he died. One dude came to the house but I didn't help him in time, so that weighed on Pavle a lot. Everyone was either starving or very hungry.

So I restarted my campaign :p

Now I'm having a better time realising which things to prioritise. Stove, metal workshop, two beds, and herbal workshop. Gonna grind on wood and components from the shelled cottage to improve my workshops, then maybe check out places with other people. It's best to make weapons like shovels or knives because it's guaranteed you'll get raided at the end of day 2, and it's best you have two people with weapons or then one person will undoubtedly get slightly wounded.

Completed.

I did relatively all good things, but I think the only negative was killing bandits.

Strange, it didn't talk about me saving a hostage or killing the snipers.

Chaos17

I restarted many time the game mainly when I reached 20 days.
The game is well coded, I didn't had any bugs and the graphics are cool maybe too much grey, lol.

The game appealed to me first because of the trailer and the concept/idea of the game, so I was really curious to play it then after like 4 or 6 hours I came to the conclusion that I will dropt that game because it's not fun for me. Here're my reasons :

1) The difficulty is random, you can have a fabulous start with healthy team or the contrary. A lot of time thieves came to my base and was able to steal from me even when everyone was armed and I had someone on guard. Depending of your playthrough this can happen often or rarely. The game limit the numbers of maps you've access after a certain amout of time, forcing you to go on dangerous areas to get ressources while you haven't finished to explore a lot of them.

2) Crafting, there a lot of different workshops you can make but they ask so much ressources that you can't make most of them and worse you can't make their upgrade for the same reason. Also, you don't know what the upgrade will bring you. You've to try it out and have the chance to waste ressource on them. Without the chance to reload if it was worthless.

3) Exploration, limited inventory with no way to upgrade is not cool. The dev limit you send only 1 scavenger outside at night. Yes, just 1!! And they though we could be able to go kill some scums with just 1 guy ? Or just one guy have the mission to bring food for 3 or 4 people + the ressoures in his tiny bag ?? Whuuuuuuuuuuut ??

I've played Dwarves fortress which has also a survival aspect, a base to devellop and random generated content. It was an really abscur game but at least when I was be able to do things right, I was able to get some fun or at least be happy from learning of my errors. In this game, I wasn't really able to learn anything because the part that nerf my enjoyement is the exploration. The dev should let us either have bigger inventory or send more scavengers. Or both. So if at one moment, I want to take down a place with my survivors, I want to be able to and not just send 1 poor lonely guy outside while others are sleeping after doing nothing the whole day at the base.

The dev limit you send only 1 scavenger outside at night. Yes, just 1!! And they though we could be able to go kill some scums with just 1 guy ? Or just one guy have the mission to bring food for 3 or 4 people + the ressoures in his tiny bag ?? Whuuuuuuuuuuut ??

Yeah I found that odd at first but then I realised what's the point of more than 1 unless if you just want to cheat how much loot you can carry with 2 backpacks? :p Cause combat wise, it's stealth really and two people would not work out.

Has anyone got stealth kills to work? If so, make a video of it because I'm scared to kill again until I know I can do it without getting my survivor killed on some weird glitch.

Yeah I found that odd at first but then I realised what's the point of more than 1 unless if you just want to cheat how much loot you can carry with 2 backpacks? :p Cause combat wise, it's stealth really and two people would not work out.

Has anyone got stealth kills to work? If so, make a video of it because I'm scared to kill again until I know I can do it without getting my survivor killed on some weird glitch.

If you want to test things out, just alt+f4 the game before you get to the next day.

One hit stealth kills only work with those hiding spots, not the cover spots, the ones where you step inside the dark. I only used a knife and I always one shot people who walk by.

Also, remember that you can't hide again for a while as it has some sort of cooldown before you can hide there again.

If you want to test things out, just alt+f4 the game before you get to the next day.

One hit stealth kills only work with those hiding spots, not the cover spots, the ones where you step inside the dark. I only used a knife and I always one shot people who walk by.

Also, remember that you can't hide again for a while as it has some sort of cooldown before you can hide there again.
Thank you so much!

kafiend

3) Exploration, limited inventory with no way to upgrade is not cool. The dev limit you send only 1 scavenger outside at night. Yes, just 1!! And they though we could be able to go kill some scums with just 1 guy ? Or just one guy have the mission to bring food for 3 or 4 people + the ressoures in his tiny bag ?? Whuuuuuuuuuuut ??

I totally agree with you on this, but it's worth pointing out that different characters have larger/smaller backpacks.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Too bad this game isn't a lot of love. I feel a few more tweaks could've really enhanced the game.

That said, I really like what I've played and I'm developing a strategy in my head on the best ways to start off now.

Very Lost in Blue-esque

I wonder if there's a way to upgrade the back pack. The UI seems to indicate it can upgrade a lot, but I never saw a way to upgrade.

the one thing to steal from day z and they didn't do it.

I like how you get different people to start out with. I think once you reach like the first week more people open up.

I got a game with a cook, combat guy, and sneaker. Pretty awesome considering I avoided stealing/combat in my other play throughs.

Reminds me of FTL where you pick your starting race. How that totally changes the strategy.

I want to do a playthrough where I murder everyone.

The combat in the game is too easy once you figure it out. The one hit stealth knife kill is too OP, and it'll net you some crazy weapons that you can literally clear out the military compound.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
played about 2-3 hours of this yesterday, amazing game. Its so polished, all the little systems working together (such a little thing for example, but it kinda blew me away, you can build axes later on, and it says "you can chop furniture" and I thought to myself "I wonder if this means all the chairs and closets and shit will get a new icon to use them"... and thats exactly what happens!), and for the first time I actually felt...bad in a game. When you steal shit from people, they really hammer on the point. Spoilers ahead:

I went into a old couple's house, when outside I peeked through the peephole of the door and saw them in the living room. there was still a room before the main door and where they were, so I went inside thinking they wouldnt see me, but they did. The old man gets up and asks me what im doing there and to get out, but my peeps back at the base were starving and I had been raided and had no food, so I pulled out my knife thinking I was about to get in combat, you know, like a normal videogame... instead, the old man freaks out, tells me to please drop the knife, and when I move forward he yells to his wife to run upstairs, and im like thinking "dude chill out im not gonna hurt you". I ended up only stealing half their food... I felt like shit. And your guy still says they probably dont have enough left to survive >_< and then my guy got depressed because it was the second time I had stolen...for fuck sake

awesome game, now I wanna go play it more

Labrys

The title gave me hopes for Fallout 4.

I hate you now OP

edit: love me some Survival games

I'm sorry, I just thought it was an appropriate quote, heh.

Glad to hear you like survival games, though. My brother in law has been commandeering this with steam family share all evening so I haven't gotten the chance to play much more.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The feeling of going out to find bandages for that one injured guy and returning to find more severely wounded survivors from last night's raiding really sucks.

This is draining, bleak hopes for getting ahead. It feels the best that can be done is to maintain and that's compelling and new.

Man, this is one bleak game. It's like someone took the kind of human-on-human survival I always wanted to see in a zombie game and gave it grim, gritty life. A gutted war torn cityscape, all pencil-sketched shadows and ruined structures, flashes of explosions outside. What a difference from another group-centric game like State of Decay; where that game was kind of arcadey and hopeful, here your people are just barely eking out a miserable day-by-day existence.

It's not a fun game, and I'm glad it's not fun. It's tedious and slow and tense and gripping, and you really grow connected to your group. Every moment feels like you're just barely hanging on by a thread. I really like the little details, like your survivor physically digs through rubble or how your survivors will sit and talk to each other.

Scavenging is the most intense stealth I've experienced in a while. The line-of-sight/sound based system from Mark of the Ninja works really well here and makes every location a foreboding unknown environment, hidden in shadows. Combat and violence in general is a last resort and when you do come across bandits or armed people...and you're weak and slow and only have a knife, the tension is palapable

Top Bottom