• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you want Amiibos from GameStop, better act now

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Just left from a store near my place and they said not only are they no longer accepting pre-orders but the rest of the city's locations aren't as well. They are going by actually stock and the numbers that I were given as far as quantity goes (about 13-15 each, with more popular characters like Fox being limited to less for some odd reason) they will almost certainly sell out during the day of launch.

Of course we all expected something like this to happen but here's the PSA for those who aren't aware of Nintendo's "supply and demand" shenanigans. Most games and items are available for pre-order up until the day of release unless its a major title with huge clout (CoD, perhaps, GTA, etc. etc.) in which case pre-orders might and will sell out before or long before launch day. Stock usually gets replenished pretty quickly.

However Nintendo tends to drag their feet to replenish stock in some instances so yeah, if you are counting on getting Amiibo from GS and I'll even go ahead and throw other retailers in the mix.....do it now. If they sell out, it might be a little while before they come back in in steady supply (keyword), especially since Black Friday and Co. are upon us.

Check your GS in your area and perhaps the other retailers and find out before they're gone, possibly for a little while.

Double D

I've been poking around the Internet today trying to figure out the point of them. I haven't quite figured it out yet.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
These things are selling like crazy. They were sold out of preorders at the EB I went to.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I have the whole first set coming from Amazon. Probably the only set I'm gonna buy.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
I've been poking around the Internet today trying to figure out the point of them. I haven't quite figured it out yet.

Aside from the game integration features, I think most people (myself included) might want them primarily as Collector items since its one of the few ways to actually get a "figurine" of their favorite Nintendo character that may not have a presence or very little presence in the figurine market.

Once Ness comes out i'm gonna buy 2, and one of those I'm definitely gonna repaint him like my GAF avatar lol

maxcriden

12-15/figure/store doesn't sound like much. But I don't really know anything about what the volume of sales would be on a product like this.

VARIA

It could also be a ploy from Gamestop to get you to reserve things more often. I doubt these things will be hard to find from the various other online/offline places you can acquire them.

Tigress

That's kind of a dumb marketing strategy. You want your stuff to be available to buy while it's still a hot item. People have short attention spans and if they can't get it they may very well change their mind and want something else.

Somnid

Is there any indication that any of these will actually go out of print in the foreseeable future?

A lot of it will be based on performance. It is already understood they will swap out figures as new waves come but what matters is how popular they actually are and if stores want to continue giving them space.

Balb

Is there any indication that any of these will actually go out of print in the foreseeable future?

I believe they said some of the less popular figures will go out of print. Probably characters like Marth, Wii Fit Trainer and the like.

Tenck

That's kind of a dumb marketing strategy. You want your stuff to be available to buy while it's still a hot item. People have short attention spans and if they can't get it they may very well change their mind and want something else.

Xenoblade has taught me this isn't true (especially the people who shop at Gamestop). If people want it, they're gonna pay dumb price for it.

jediyoshi

Tell that to parents wanting Frozen merch

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't trust Gamestop to hit water if they fell off a boat.

"D"

Judging by Nintendo's treatment of their games, its highly possible. Especially since certain Amiibo will be compatible with certain games, and once THOSE games "fall out of steady circulation" then the Amiibo that are compatible with those will fall out of demand, so to speak.

I can see them pushing waves for a specific yearly quarter, then retiring those and ushering in a new wave for the next quarter, but that's just my loose guess

Jakoo

At the very least, I would pre-order the Shulk one if that is one you want. I am almost considering pre-ordering a second one because, if the Wii game is any indication, it will appreciate in value.

If you want all of them without preordering you probably will have to get lucky if you arent there early. Best buy probably have like 8-10 of each one I bet.

Rootbeer

Banned
Remember, TRU has Amiibo 3 for $30 on launch day. What sort of deal does gamestop have on them?

That's what I thought.

Iorv3th

Just so you know, you can't pre-order them at gamestop period. No matter what store it is. If there are any that are not pre-ordered (which there shouldn't be many unless they send another shipment before friday) then it will be first come first serve.

Pyrokai

Do we know which other Amiibo are exclusive to other retailers yet? I know Shulk is exclusive to GameStop.....just wondering....

Balb

You'll probably be able to secure the ones you want if you pick up SSB4 at midnight. It'll get dicey after that.

ElNino

Well, that sounds like signifcantly more inventory than many of the Skylanders waves (for the first two games at least), and I was able to get all of those eventually.

I'm content with cancelling my Amazon pre-orders and will just pick up the figures that my son and I want the most.

Gestault

Remember to buy your Amiibos from GameStop™

Act Now! Supplies are limited!

"I'll even go ahead and throw other retailers in the mix.....do it now."

"Check your GS in your area and perhaps the other retailers and find out before they're gone"

Gross.

"D"

I pre-ordered all the Amiibos (1st, 2nd and 3rd waves) on Amazon the second I found out they were up for grabs so luckily I'm taken care of in that regard. Everyone else, I'd suggest doing the same, those that are interested at least.

"D"

Just so you know, you can't pre-order them at gamestop period. No matter what store it is. If there are any that are not pre-ordered (which there shouldn't be many unless they send another shipment before friday) then it will be first come first serve.

A redundant question but just want to clarify that this means they are sold out online as well?

Rolf NB

[QUOTE="D";139562599]Of course we all expected something like this to happen but here's the PSA for those who aren't aware of Nintendo's "supply and demand" shenanigans. Most games and items are available for pre-order up until the day of release unless its a major title with huge clout (CoD, perhaps, GTA, etc. etc.) in which case pre-orders might and will sell out before or long before launch day. Stock usually gets replenished pretty quickly.

However Nintendo tends to drag their feet to replenish stock in some instances so yeah, [/QUOTE]Is this some sort of complex in-joke?

I can believe this for Gamestop because I barely see any Disney/Skylanders figures in them.
However, for other stores they are going to have a display for Amiibos ... so I would not worry too much.

Kade

The store I go to is only getting one Marth and I luckily had a pre-order down prior to their allocation update last week. Apparently all the Amiibos are going to be in short supply, even popular ones like Link and Mario. Figures like Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Marth are even worse.

TI82

Banned
I didn't know people pre ordered Skylanders or any other toys. I think there will be plentiful for people to buy to be honest.

Yep, the "rare" ones are the ones that are given to developers/event people, and variant colors which you can't preorder and are just random in shipments.

At least for Skylanders.

btkadams

Still waiting for the first batch of Skylanders to hit that low
Don't skylander figures still work with the latest games? These are locked to one game with minor support to others. As interest in the games fade, these toys will be in less demand, no?

Top Bottom