• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Wii U specials for Black Friday?

arimanius

I've been look at all the Black Friday sale leaks/threads and I'm coming up with nothing for Wii U. I've been holding off rebuying the Wii U for awhile in hopes of a Smash bundle and once that didn't happen I was hoping for something during Black Friday. Specially after seeing some of the great deals on the other two consoles.

Anyone else just find this odd that there doesn't seem to be anything or is this just typical for Nintendo?

bluexy

Nintendo doesn't usually bundle their big holiday releases so soon. Expect a bundle in 2015 with Super Smash Bros. This year they're bundling Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8.

JDSN

Banned
Not only no console deals, but no price cuts on games for the few that actually own the damn thing.

Petrae

I was disappointed, too. The closest to a "deal" there is resides at Best Buy, and that's actually more money... but you get a bundle of games at a discount.

Apparently Nintendo can't afford to go much lower on WiiU.

Guevara

I can only guess Nintendo wants to squeeze whatever profit they can and realize the system is somewhat of a lost cause.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Expect those 'refurbished' units to be readly available after the holidays.

Votron

don't just expect a smash and wii u bundle at lower price any time soon..That's the whole point of the game. It's one of a kind of a game that if you are really a fan of you should have the wii u by now ir waiting to buy one as soon as it comes out at the current price.

There are bundles, but the ones I've seen are around $300-350. Too expensive for Black Friday. IMO, Black Friday relies on lower prices.

The only good Black Friday Bundle is Best Buy's for $359:

Wii U
Nintendo Land
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Super Smash Bros for Wii U

You're better off with this:

$200 - Refurbished Wii U + Nintendo Land (Here)
$ 60 - Donkey Kong Country Topical Freeze (Target B2G1)
$ 60 - Super Mario 3D World (Target B2G1)
$ 0 - Smash for Wii U
$320 - Total ($40 Cheaper than Best Buy's BF Deal and you can do any three games you want!)

EDIT: Target B2G1 ended. If Amazon or Best Buy runs a B2G1 soon, keep this in mind. For now, nevermind.

EDIT 1: Updated Best Buy's bundle price to $359 (previously had $369 there) and dropped savings in my bottom line to $40 from $50.

arimanius

don't just expect a smash and wii u bundle at lower price any time soon..That's the whole point of the game. It's one of a kind of a game that if you are really a fan of you should have the wii u by now ir waiting to buy one as soon as it comes out at the current price.

Yeah I was hoping they would have a bundle like they did with Mario Kart but realized that was just wishful thinking.

Was holding out hope for some kind of small Black Friday deal. At this point it looks like I may just buy the Mario Kart bundle and pick up Smash would be the best option.

The only good Black Friday Bundle is Best Buy's for $369:

Wii U
Nintendo Land
Super Mario 3D World

$ 0 - Smash for Wii U
$320 - Total ($50 Cheaper than Best Buy's BF Deal and you can do any three games you want!)

That's a great idea. Never owned a Nintendo Refurbished. How good are they quality wise?

edit* nevermind looks like the Target deal ended lol

Toki767

Best Black Friday Bundle is Best Buy's for $369:

Wii U
Nintendo Land
Super Mario 3D World

$ 0 - Smash for Wii U
$320 - Total ($50 Cheaper than Best Buy's BF Deal and you can do any three games you want!)

It's nice that you're making up deals that aren't around or have already ended.

Sears and Walmart already had them.

giphy.gif

Indeed they have.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

Wii U
Nintendo Land
Super Mario 3D World

$ 0 - Smash for Wii U

Target ended the B2G1.

Anyways, I realize the Wii U bundle has more games, but the fact that it's more than the Halo or AC X1 bundles is insane to me.

Wii U
Nintendo Land
Super Mario 3D World

$ 0 - Smash for Wii U

Ok?

It's nice that you're making up deals that aren't around or have already ended.

Is B2G1 over already? Sorry if so! I thought it was this week...

The refurbished unit is definitely a good starting point for a make your own bundle type of deal, though. Something to keep in mind if you really only want Smash + MK8, OP.

Petrae

There are bundles, but the ones I've seen are around $300-350. Too expensive for Black Friday. IMO, Black Friday relies on lower prices.

That's pretty much it. Yeah, if you break the bundle down, it's a decent value... but I don't want to spend that much scratch on a bundle that I have no control over. It hearkens back to the Gamecube bundle I got at launch back in 2001. All I wanted was Rogue Leader, but I had to buy two other games I didn't want, too.

Hazu

Wii U
Nintendo Land
Super Mario 3D World

$ 0 - Smash for Wii U
$320 - Total ($40 Cheaper than Best Buy's BF Deal and you can do any three games you want!)

EDIT: Target B2G1 ended. If Amazon or Best Buy runs a B2G1 soon, keep this in mind. For now, nevermind.

The problem is that parents won't think this way and therefore won't buy the console for their kids.

Most people will buy a single console for Christmas, I just don't see why they would buy the Wii U over a PS4/Xbox One at this point since both have way better deals.

I just picked up a refurb model, brand new like all the others. My bundle is gonna be based on whether or not Amazon tosses out any Wii U deals for Black Friday.

I don't expect anything on Smash or Bayonetta, but I am thinking a deal on 3DWorld, MK8, Wind Waker HD, or DKC could be a possibility.

The best deals I can see for Wii U

Mario Kart 8 - $35/Wii U Party $25 (Walmart)
B1G1 40% off all videogames (ToysRUs, example get Smash @ $60 get Bayo 2@$~34 ... But many TRU don't carry both games )
B1G1 all superbuy (<$20) titles (TRU)
Wii U Basic bundle + Skylanders $199 (Also TRU)

big youth

Wii U
Nintendo Land
Super Mario 3D World

$ 0 - Smash for Wii U

EDIT 1: Updated Best Buy's bundle price to $359 (previously had $369 there) and dropped savings in my bottom line to $40 from $50.

this is my plan, though I'll get a different game than Mario for the B2G1 deal. And hopefully I can find some good bargain bin titles like ZombiU

Is B2G1 over already? Sorry if so! I thought it was this week...

The refurbished unit is definitely a good starting point for a make your own bundle type of deal, though. Something to keep in mind if you really only want Smash + MK8, OP.

Best Buy is doing a B2G1 on used games, so you'll be saving ~15% per game + one free game.... but its used.

Best Buy is doing a B2G1 on used games, so you'll be saving ~15% per game + one free game.... but its used.

Nothing wrong with that. If you have GCU, you get another 10% off the used games too, I think. (Not sure that applies when there's B2G1)

The problem is that parents won't think this way and therefore won't buy the console for their kids.

Most people will buy a single console for Christmas, I just don't see why they would buy the Wii U over a PS4/Xbox One at this point since both have way better deals.

I completely agree. Nintendo should have better deals out there to entice buyers...especially when the XBOX One and PS4 are so close in price. My post was only to point arimanius in the right direction for his purchase.

That's pretty much it. Yeah, if you break the bundle down, it's a decent value... but I don't want to spend that much scratch on a bundle that I have no control over. It hearkens back to the Gamecube bundle I got at launch back in 2001. All I wanted was Rogue Leader, but I had to buy two other games I didn't want, too.
I think many parents would cede their control over the bundle's content (maybe they don't even care), but the fact that it IS a bundle raises the price of entry. That's the issue. The reason people create mobs on Black Friday is for stupidly discounted stuff. Even if it's not that much of a discount, stuff is usually cheaper than MSRP. The bundle is a "deal" I guess, but a $200-250 Wii U with no game or just a download voucher would go a a lot farther to creating that "impulse buy" mindset that happens when dealing with sales.

Petrae

I think many parents would cede their control over the bundle's content (maybe they don't even care), but the fact that it IS a bundle raises the price of entry. That's the issue. The reason people create mobs on Black Friday is for stupidly discounted stuff. Even if it's not that much of a discount, stuff is usually cheaper than MSRP. The bundle is a "deal" I guess, but a $200-250 Wii U with no game or just a download voucher would go a a lot farther to creating that "impulse buy" mindset that happens when dealing with sales.

Agreed. That lower price point is what I'm personally looking for-- not the extra stuff that comes with the bundle, most of which I'm not that interested in.

Price point talks more than anything else.

Meh I think if anything the lineup will be even stronger by then. I'm having a hard time thinking of any exclusives the competition has that compare with anything nintendo has in the works

Bloodborne and The Order will definitely prop up PS4 early in the year. Really Q1 will be between Ninty and Sony don't see much on the horizon for XBox though.

Top Bottom