• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your So hasn't watched Star Wars or Indiana Jones. How would you introduce them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She hasn't seen Star Wars episodes 4-6, Raiders of the Lost Arc, Temple or Doom, and The Last Crusade.

What editions of the movies would you show her and how would you plan the night/s?

Mariolee

No matter how you introduce it, it will honestly probably not live up to their expectations but they'll turn to you because they love you and say, "That was really good!" That'll be it.

No preamble just start Indy 1,2,3 fuck 4. Star wars 4, 5, 6. If you get through that then see if they want to see prequels.

bigkrev

Don't do it.

All that will happen is that she will find it weird how much you love these movies, and that you put effort in to "introduce" them to her.

An adult seeing these movies for the first time is not going to appreciate them to the degree that you will.

Zombine

Banned
Indiana Jones is the better Trillogy for "everyone." I have yet to find a single person (my girlfriend included) who don't like those movies.

Star Wars is an acquired taste. You either get it or you don't, and the movies are a bit long and drag on in places. Those movies aren't for everyone.

kris.

Banned
Don't do it.

All that will happen is that she will find it weird how much you love these movies, and that you put effort in to "introduce" them to her.

An adult seeing these movies for the first time is not going to appreciate them to the degree that you will.

cFoHq1o.gif

Celegus

My wife never saw Star Wars, so we tried the original and she didn't care for it. I never saw Indiana Jones until two weeks ago, and didn't really care for it. Think we both just missed the boat.

bill0527

Skip the fuckin prequels.

Episodes IV - VI is Star Wars and just leave it at that in the runup to episode VII.

Skip Crystal Skull.

Your job is done.

noquarter

Did this a couple years ago with my wife. She had seen pieces and new some of it, mostly through me, but hadn't seen any of them.

We went to Blockbuster once or twice a week and would get whatever they had. Would also be the third movie we got, one for me one for her and then a 'classic' Preferred Blurays for them, since she isn't going to car about any of the changes and would just want the best picture. I also started with Episode 1 just so she could see it in story order. Or daughter actually liked Episode 1 and was a factor in getting my wife to keep going.

Other series I got her through the same or a similar way were Highlander and Die Hard. She sort of wanted to check out Hellraiser, so got her to watch those pretty easy, though we haven't finished them yet. She got me to watch Fast and Furious (pretty good, much better than I thought it would be) and Twilight (fell asleep every time, but she still have me credit for it)

Boem

I was talking with a friend about the upcoming Star Wars movie a couple of months back, and my girlfriend said that she never really saw the movies outside of a couple of scenes, so we turned on ep IV that evening. She kept asking me when Sam Jackson was going to turn up.

I never tried showing her the rest. It's just a thing for me and my friends now. At least she really likes Jurassic Park and Back to the Future.

Beaulieu

I would show her all three Indiana Jones in order as they are all awesome
I would not show her Star Wars as it really sucks and didnt age well at all

Steamlord

"They're pretty fun movies. I haven't watched them in years myself. We can check them out sometime if you want, I don't really care."

Zombine

Banned
She got me to watch Fast and Furious (pretty good, much better than I thought it would be) and Twilight (fell asleep every time, but she still have me credit for it)

Are you me? The exact thing happened when my GF introduced me to these movies.

If someone didn't exhibit an interest in something I wouldn't bother trying to "introduce" them to it.

But if they did suggest they really wanted to try it then I would just show them the original versions of the first movie of each and take it from there.

Raist

Banned
I wouldn't bother with Star Wars.

Indy, just go with the chronological order. Pretend the last one didn't happen.

Grimalkin

Don't do it.

Agreed. I didn't see any of the Star Wars movies til I was in my early twenties and... I can see how a kid would love them.

Indiana Jones has aged a bit better but the franchise is still an 80's cheese-fest. People will either find them a series of enjoyable popcorn flicks or completely stupid.

Prepare yourself for disappointment.

Don't do it.

Unless your gf is a nerdish kinda girl, this is a true statement.

jtb

Banned
in order. 4-5-6. then Raiders, Temple, Crusade. pretty simple. obviously don't show the shit ones, and for the love of god, don't bother with this chronological order bullshit. just release order.

I don't get all the doom and gloom; all three of the star wars films hold up well and Raiders has aged like a fine wine, it's still fucking brilliant. star wars, it obviously trends a bit younger, but with Raiders, you compare it with the action-adventure shit that gets churned out by hollywood these days, it's fucking revelatory. grown adults go out and watch movies in that vein like Guardians of the Galaxy and enjoy them; you're telling me they wouldn't fucking love Raiders? please.

raphier

Banned
Ah yes, the dilemma of the uninitiated.

I had this arduous event happen to me with my sister once. I figured the right manner of order was to introduce her to Jonesy first and lightsabers later and as it befall she liked first session, hated the latter. It seems that Indiana Jones trilogy is far more accessible to the mass than Star Wars sequels are, which are often coupled with a word 'chore' very often, I find.

We watched the DVD versions of 4-6 within a few weeks of each other.

We watched Raiders when it came to theatres a year and a half ago or whenever it was, then the DVDs following that. Except for Crystal Skull.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I'd rather show them good movies, so that rules out all of those.

Original Trilogy ONLY, let my kid find the other films on his own

Show him the Indy Trilogy in Chronological Order: Temple, Ark, Crusade and Skull only if he wants

Steamlord

Honestly I'd probably show them the Three Colors trilogy instead. Or the Before trilogy. You know, something genuinely great.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Start with Raiders of the Lost Ark, if he/she doesn't like it then you know the relationship is over.

Anyone who goes in chronological story order has no soul. Just for the record.

As for Star Wars, go OT and then wait 16 years and maybe do PT.

Indiana Jones -- Raiders, Temple, Crusade. That's it.

I have a coworker who's 29 and a few weeks ago she watched the original Star Wars trilogy for the first time. She enjoyed the films.

She plans to watch the prequel trilogy over the Christmas break, I'm really looking forward to hearing her reaction to the newer films as someone who has no real attachment to the older trilogy.

More on topic, show her Raiders of the Lost Ark. That movie holds up as a damn well-done action movie. Even though it's been ripped off a million times it still manages to be impressive to first timers. Harrison Ford in his prime, Speilberg on top of his game, and it has a strong female lead. Pretty sure your GF will dig it.

Does he/she have any interest in the franchises?

If the answer is 'Yes' just leave it at "Ok cool, we'll plan to watch them this weekend."

If the answer is 'No' then don't bother.

It's ok if you and SO don't enjoy the same things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom