• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Friday Retail Musings

Miles X

Don't have anything to share as a Brit (still in its infancy) but curious to see what you fellow Americans have encountered so far!

Who was buying what? What was selling well?

There was a baby crying. There is always a baby crying. Do not bring your young kids to Black Friday please.

Target wasn't too crowded at all. Went in, got my games, got my movies, got a soda, waited in line for 20 minutes and left. 3 games for half price, can't beat that!

Shadow of Mordor (PS4)
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (360)
Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition (PS4)

All for $95

Xbox Ones were all sold out. Almost no PS4s were touched. That $70 difference makes an impact.

Anon67

I see people holding Xbox Ones and not PS4s! Omg Xbox is dominating!!
relax guys :)

And these people where holding the basic, non-models. I just went "wtf" since there were bunch of AC XB1 bundles sitting there, waiting to be picked up.

Oh, grabbed a 2 TB HDD for my XB1 for $80.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
There was a baby crying. There is always a baby crying. Do not bring your young kids to Black Friday please.

Target wasn't too crowded at all. Went in, got my games, got my movies, got a soda, waited in line for 20 minutes and left. 3 games for half price, can't beat that!

What games did you get?

I just came back from Best Buy, saw a man buying a copy of Limitless on blu-ray.

Couldn't help but feel that his life priorities weren't straight.

Armaly

I bought:

Infamous Second Son $20
Drakengard 3 $20
Final Fantasy 2 $4
Kingdom Hearts 3D $12
1tb HDD $50
New mid tower case $120
Dualshock 4 Controller $40

Still need to buy:
new headset
year of ps+
mouse pad

Everything so far has been online. Might go to a store to pick up the headset depending on the weather in a few hours.

Wish me luck GAF. 13 hour workday ahead of me dealing with the raging hordes of consumers. I pray I survive to see the end of it.

sense

I bought:

Infamous Second Son $20
Drakengard 3 $20
Final Fantasy 2 $4
Kingdom Hearts 3D $12
1tb HDD $50
New mid tower case $120
Dualshock 4 Controller $40

Still need to buy:
new headset
year of ps+
mouse pad

Everything so far has been online. Might go to a store to pick up the headset depending on the weather in a few hours.

if you need a plus then this is the best deal right now but who knows tomorrow could bring a better deal even though it is looking unlikely.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PlaySt...193?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c40c4dec1

julrik

Bought Alien: Isolation (PS4) for ~£22 here in Norway. Relatively new games usually cost ~£50 here, so I'd say it was an okay deal.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Went to my local Tesco to see if anything interesting would happen. Shelf on the ground, boxes fallen over. Only 4 TVs and some guy had 2 in his trolley.

Bought mini kinder bars and some rowntrees squidgy speak and went home.

do you mean brick and mortar stories?

i can tell you about my online shopping if you want

Click.

Click.

Click. Click.

Click.

Derpyduck

Banned
I just came from Best Buy and they had three sections of bundles - Xbox Assassins Creed, PS4+GTA+TLOU, and Wii U+Smash+Donkey Kong. The guy that got me my stuff said Xbox has been flying out the store, Wii U isn't moving many at all (evidenced by having the largest pile of consoles) and PS4 was doing OK. The cheap price must be working in the Xbox's favor (It was the cheapest of the 3 bundles at 329 to PS4's 399, and Wii U's 359). If I didn't own a PS4 already, I'd have snatched up that PS4 bundle. Great deal imo.

Mostly I was surprised by how civilized Best Buy felt during Black Friday. It had a lot of people, but everything appeared to be moving smoothly.

I also went to Target and it was a mess in comparison. One long line that went through the middle of the store. They had all kinds of TVs strewn about in the clothes sections. The iPad area was a dead zone. Cleaned out before I got there. They had no Xbox bundles left (they were including a 50 dollar gift card with it). They had PS4s but no bundles. And they had one Wii U+M3D.

ProjectBerkley

Neo Member
Went with my brother to Walmart. He got the MCC Xbox One bundle with $30 gift card. Store had about twenty of them in stock. There were a lot more than 20 people in line for it.

Vestal

Gold Member

Aftermath at target. Xbox ones gone. Stack of ps4s still around.

According to electronics guy, they had 65 Xbox ones and 40 ps4s

Xamdou

I just came from Best Buy and they had three sections of bundles - Xbox Assassins Creed, PS4+GTA+TLOU, and Wii U+Smash+Donkey Kong. The guy that got me my stuff said Xbox has been flying out the store, Wii U isn't moving many at all (evidenced by having the largest pile of consoles) and PS4 was doing OK. The cheap price must be working in the Xbox's favor (It was the cheapest of the 3 bundles at 329 to PS4's 399, and Wii U's 359). If I didn't own a PS4 already, I'd have snatched up that PS4 bundle. Great deal imo.

Mostly I was surprised by how civilized Best Buy felt during Black Friday. It had a lot of people, but everything appeared to be moving smoothly.

It is indeed crazy that the Wii U bundle cost more than the X1 bundle as bestbuy...

I didn't plan to stop by bestbuy since I bought everything I wanted already except How to Train your Dragon Part 2, but I will definitely check out my local BB.

i bought

24.99 Evil within - ps4
24.99 Shadow of Mordor - ps4
199.99 50 inch Toshiba TV @ amazon.com

very satisfied with the deals

Bowler

Bud at my best buy just texted me that they just ran out of all xbox ones. Still have asstons of ps4's and wiiU.

Looks like the deep discounts for the x1 may pay off.

Vaco6121

I picked up Shadow of Mordor, Wolfstein, The Evil Within all for PS4 for $60 at Best Buy. A lot of people that I saw were getting Beats headphones and a HP printer. Seem like the PS4 and Xbox One were equal.

I should probably share my observations in here instead of the PS4 Black Friday bundle thread. I went to Best Buy tonight at 5 in Roanoke Virginia, and both PS4 and XBone bundles were right by the front entrance. On my way out the door I saw the XBox display was mostly gone while the PS4 display was still mostly intact.

Top Bottom