• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII v Ocarina of Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

qindarka

Banned
Two of the most overrated games of all time, the former being a generic JRPG about mopey anime characters and the latter having the worst gameplay and story of any Zelda game.

channelbackground-overrated-cloud.jpg~c200

Legend_of_Zelda-Ocarina_of_Time_N64_03.png

Which is the worse of these two pieces of dogshit?

No fanboyish arguments please.

meptrep

Zelda Ocarina Time is the worst JRPG of all time, it doesn't even have proper battle mechanics or potions, fuck that game.

JordanN

Banned
Two of the most overrated games of all time, the former being a generic JRPG about mopey anime characters and the latter having the worst gameplay and story of any Zelda game.
What's your reasoning for this?

I thought skyward sword was the worst. At least in Oot, you can just use one button to swim instead of waggle.

hidys

Both those games are excellent and deserve their hype.

Of the two I prefer FF VII but they are both brilliant games.

z0m3le

Banned

Which is the worse of these twi pieces of dogshit?

You're so edgy.

Can't judge the games today, but in the years of their releases, they pushed story telling, innovated in multiple aspects of their respective genres and were key titles for their respective systems. FF7's influence was the tipping point of Playstation adoption, without that game or rather had that game stayed with Nintendo, who knows how the RPG addicted audience of the day would have shaped our industry.

RM8

I got FF7 along with FFT. I hardly touched FF7, I never got too far. And I'm not a big Zelda fan either, and I prefer 2D Zelda in the first place.

Malyse

Came here to say battle of the overrated. Good job OP.

----

To be clear, in both cases the previous entry was the superior game. LttP > OoT and FF6 > FF7

pLow7

Oh God

He's taking 2 of the most loved games ever and is bashing them without any arguments

This is surely the worst Thread i've seen on GAF.

We don't even know how he is wrong, hes not giving any actual criticisms to the games he is just saying they suck.

His entire post is about criticism. Worse gameplay and story, generic JRPG...
Bad criticism, lacks any depth, but still...

And this:

Which is the worse of these twi pieces of dogshit?

stilgar

One is a boring j-rpg requiring no other gameplay than good ol' grinding,devoid of all the charm of its predecessors,

The other changed the face of gaming.

WHAT TO CHOOSE

(this is what you wanted, right?)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
THREAD NOSTALGIA OVERLOAD

CAN NOT HANDLE THE HYPE

OoT is boring. Never kept my attention long enough to beat it. Gonna have to got with FF7 even though I'm not enamored with it either.

amnesiac

Perhaps the gameplay of OOT is outdated and archaic by today's standards but it still holds up incredibly well and is a fantastic game.

Haven't played FF7.

Davey Cakes

I hate the whole "FF7 is overrated" thing.

It's the only mainline FF game I've beaten. I played the four-disc PC version in, like, the year 2000 and absolutely loved it.

The FF7 universe is overrated, maybe, considering all the side games, the movie, and the constant call for an FF7 remake. That said, the game itself is one of my favorite RPGs.

Silly OP aside, I find it hard to pick between the two.

Around the time of release (give or take three more years), I was playing FFVII. I never had a Nintendo 64 so playing OoT would have to wait at least a decade later. FFVII was my first JRPG and I have many fond memories going through the story and thinking that Cloud was cool due to his hair style and huge sword. I actually played the Ehrgeiz: God Bless The Ring demo before I played VII, so I was excited to get to play as the cool character I saw in that game.

I've always been a Legend of Zelda fan but I have never finished any Zelda games until recently. I played OoT 3D earlier this year and I was amazed at how fun and engaging it was; If I was younger I would have definitely been stuck at certain spots. The story is simple enough and the characters were nice enough to keep my attention. I don't hold OoT in as high regards as some others here (The dungeons were nice but I prefer MM for all other aspects) but it's still an amazing game.

I guess my vote would go FFVII. Too many memories, and it's the reason I'm into Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

Timeaisis

Oh this thread.

Both aren't the best in their respective series, but they are still damn good games. OOT holds up much, much better, though. FFVII is more of a product of its time. OOT is more timeless.

qindarka

Banned
You know, it is rather fanboyish to accuse one of making troll threads just ebcause you don't like what I'm saying.

Let's start with a criticism of FFVII.

1. Graphics are terrible. Character models look awful even for their time.
2. Characters. First, their design is around the board terrible. Cloud's hair and sword are a textbook example of designers trying to be cool and failing. Same with Vincent and his clothing. Tifa's breasts meanwhile are a blatant example of disgusting sexualization.
3. Story. Convoluted and at the same time, having nothing to say. It has a bunch of twists and turns which may lead to the illusion of depth and meaning but it's all a whole lot of nothing.
4. Gameplay. Pathetically easy. No depth or challenge at all and there might as well not be different characters when they all play the same with the Materia system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom