• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How well did Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance sell in the US?

I recently finished Fire Emblem: PoR and liked it quite a bit, and hope that Nintendo continues to make FE entries for their home consoles. How well did it sell?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Can't answer you, sorry (though I think its like, 100K or something), but May 16th by Lagwagon is a fucking awsome song.

That is all.

ethelred

The last numbers I saw were up through December, and they were:

So, yes. Pretty good, actually, for an RPG, but not nearly as well as this particular game deserved.

John Harker said:
Can't answer you, sorry (though I think its like, 100K or something), but May 16th by Lagwagon is a fucking awsome song.

That is all.

haha, yea it is. they've got some good stuff.

John Harker said:

That is all.

no song by lagwagon will ever be good. ever.

oh and PoR, while good, really could have been a lot better I think. defintely not the pinnacle of the series and the look was incredibly bland in execution

ethelred

meltpotato said:
no song by lagwagon will ever be good. ever.

oh and PoR, while good, really could have been a lot better I think. defintely not the pinnacle of the series and the look was incredibly bland in execution

I disagree completely. I think it was the best so far of the Fire Emblems that have come out in America (can't judge the earlier ones).

However, I will grant you that there are still a lot of ways they can continue to make the series better. Since IntSys developed Path of Radiance and Sacred Stones simultaneously, I'd like to see them combine the gameplay additions from both games into the next installment (as well as introducing some new stuff, too, natch).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Good numbers. So we're seeing 300k worldwide? Not bad, and I assume Nintendo in the very least broke even. Hopefully we see another one for the Rev.

How much did the best selling FE game sell?

ethelred

Beezy said:
Well how did it do in Japan?

Oblivion said:
Good numbers. So we're seeing 300k worldwide? Not bad, and I assume Nintendo in the very least broke even. Hopefully we see another one for the Rev.

See numbers above. It passed 300k with just America and Japan. I don't know know its European numbers, but the game's over 300 anyway.

Gawaian

Lagwagon16 said:
I recently finished Fire Emblem: PoR and liked it quite a bit, and hope that Nintendo continues to make FE entries for their home consoles. How well did it sell?
Not enough I think :(

Doogdogg

Oblivion said:
How much did the best selling FE game sell?

Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu SNES 429,763 (1996)
Fire Emblem: Sealed Sword GBA 345,574 (2002)
Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken GBA 265,286 (2003)
Fire Emblem: Seima no Kouseki GBA 236,370 (2004)
Fire Emblem: Souen no Kiseki GCN 156,413 (2005)

Japanese numbers BTW.

ethelred

Dark Dragon said:
Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu SNES 429,763 (1996)
Fire Emblem: Sealed Sword GBA 345,574 (2002)
Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken GBA 265,286 (2003)
Fire Emblem: Seima no Kouseki GBA 236,370 (2004)
Fire Emblem: Souen no Kiseki GCN 156,413 (2005)

Japanese numbers BTW.

It's interesting that, like Advance Wars, the Fire Emblem series has seemingly become more popular in America than Japan.

Both Sword of Fire and Sacred Stones have sold more in America than they did in Japan, and Path of Radiance will certainly join them (if it hasn't already; as I said before, my numbers are old).

NoA, translate Sealed Sword, please. :)

Emotions

This game is absolutely beautiful , it deserves way more love than it gets and this GC version should have sold way more than it did . Intelligent Systems deserves way more praise than it gets.

Jiggy

ethelred said:
However, I will grant you that there are still a lot of ways they can continue to make the series better. Since IntSys developed Path of Radiance and Sacred Stones simultaneously, I'd like to see them combine the gameplay additions from both games into the next installment (as well as introducing some new stuff, too, natch).
I agree, although I'm torn as to whether I prefer the branching classes or the "pick a second ability" upgrade style.
It's interesting that, like Advance Wars, the Fire Emblem series has seemingly become more popular in America than Japan.
Yeah, but at least FE still sells relatively well there, as opposed to poor AW and its 20-60k self...

Shouta

Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, but at least FE still sells relatively well there, as opposed to poor AW and its 20-60k self...

For a comparison, Berwick Saga: Lazberia Chronicle 174 from Enterbrain and FE's Creator Shozo Kaga did 177,202 copies sold last year. So yeah, FE still does well over there but it did get beat by a rival series for the console release.

ethelred

Jiggy37 said:
I agree, although I'm torn as to whether I prefer the branching classes or the "pick a second ability" upgrade style.

I really liked branching classes, but I also liked the skill system from PoR better than that of TSS. Ideally, I'd like those combined and refined. Branching classes, ultimately, just give the player a LOT more flexibility and control over his characters, a better way to diverisfy the army, and more character options overall -- all of which I think are great. However, picking skills ala PoR would make things even more cutomizable.

Meanwhile, PoR's base system, bonus EXP, talking to NPCs and PC units -- I think all of these things are downright essential in future FE installments. They were some of the best additions to the series I could imagine.

One thing I *really* want to return, however, is either branching storylines (TSS) or new unlockable story modes (Sword of Fire). Those give the game so much more replayability and story content, and I was disappointed PoR was lacking that. I would've loved to have played through the game a second time with Elincia as the main character.

Jiggy37 said:

No arguments here. Both series, and Paper Mario, deserve to sell phenomenally. I'm disappointed by the US sales of AW: DS, on top of its poor Japanese sales.

Tarazet

Well enough to avoid the ignominy of early discounts (a la Geist and Battalion Wars), but it could have done better considering the cachet of the Fire Emblem name. For that reason, I think it will probably hold its value, since at least some new Revolution owners will want this game at all points during its lifespan.

DS and Revolution FE will be awesome, it would be nice if we heard from IS soon. Does anyone know of any projects they are currently working on?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Shouta said:
For a comparison, Berwick Saga: Lazberia Chronicle 174 from Enterbrain and FE's Creator Shozo Kaga did 177,202 copies sold last year. So yeah, FE still does well over there but it did get beat by a rival series for the console release.

Barely, considering the massive gap in installed userbase.

ethelred

AniHawk said:
The second GBA game is the easiest to go into. Quick level ups, world map, branching upgrade levels.

It's also a good choice so that a newcomer can start off with the weakest (while still excellent) entry so that he can appreciate the other two even more.

ziran

i think na sales will end up over 200k, which is great for a srpg franchise.

fire emblem sales have declined in japan since the snes, but that really doesn't mean anything in the scheme of things, because so has everything else in the face of the declining japanese videogames market and as has already been mentioned, the gc's user is relatively small.

iirc japan also had a hits re-release late last year, i don't think it sold much, but enough to bump the total over 160k. worldwide i'd guess the game will top 400k.

for me path of radiance was possibly the best game this gen and an all out masterpiece of strategy design. can't wait to see what intsys has planned for the series.

lo zaffo

ziran said:
i think na sales will end up over 200k, which is great for a srpg franchise.

fire emblem sales have declined in japan since the snes, but that really doesn't mean anything in the scheme of things, because so has everything else in the face of the declining japanese videogames market and as has already been mentioned, the gc's user is relatively small.

iirc japan also had a hits re-release late last year, i don't think it sold much, but enough to bump the total over 160k. worldwide i'd guess the game will top 400k.

for me path of radiance was possibly the best game this gen and an all out masterpiece of strategy design. can't wait to see what intsys has planned for the series.
I'm rather optimistic for a good iteration of Fire Emblem franchise over NintendoDS hardware; instead I don't think Revo technology is good enough for Fire Emblem.

NeonZ

I really hope the next FE is for the Revolution, IS got rather lazy with some of their GBA games. I mean, half of the cast of FE6 (Sealed Sword) were straight rip-offs of the FE1 cast, and the engine just took bits from FE5 and bits from FE1, adding a few minor things. Its engine was good, because it kept some of the good things introduced by FE5, but took out most of the useless random chances which FE5 had introduced: No attack had 100% or 0% chance of hitting; it was possible, though extremely rare, to get level ups in any stat; it was necessary to use the capture option to get a constant supply of weapons, but that heavily cut the hit rates and stats. Without luck, a player would get no where in that game..

Then, the next FE, the one released in America, for the first time in the series, used only a slightly tweaked version of the old engine instead of a new or heavily modified one. FE8 (re)introduced many things( almost everything used in FE8 had already appeared in Fire Emblem Gaiden[NES]), but still continued using the same old engine.

FE9 was the first real step foward of the series since FE6, not only because it used a new engine, almost everything introduced by FE9 was a great addition to the series.

lo zaffo said:
I'm rather optimistic for a good iteration of Fire Emblem franchise over NintendoDS hardware; instead I don't think Revo technology is good enough for Fire Emblem.

What on earth kind of hardware would be necessary for a Fire Emblem game?? They're hardly graphically intensive, and since they're turn-based there's a lot of leniency to the interface.

D3VI0US

PoR grabbed me like no game has in a long time. It was my first FE and I hope a Rev version comes out soon cause I don't play handhelds really, I'm still working on Advance Wars and I've had it since it came out. Anyone have any idea what if anything Intelligent Systems might be working on for Rev?

ziran

D3VI0US said:
PoR grabbed me like no game has in a long time. It was my first FE and I hope a Rev version comes out soon cause I don't play handhelds really, I'm still working on Advance Wars and I've had it since it came out. Anyone have any idea what if anything Intelligent Systems might be working on for Rev?
in a localisation interview a while back a guy said there are 3 teams at intelligent systems. one for paper mario, advance wars and fire emblem. not that these are fixed, but it sounds like they are capable of developing 3 games at once. also intsys had a hand in the last two warioware games.

there have been several rumours suggesting a new online version of advance wars is development for the ds, one that is supposed to make very good use of the ds's unique features, possibly due for release at the end of the year.

i expect a new fire emblem game is already in development, but as for what system, i don't know. it could be rev or ds.

ziran said:
in a localisation interview a while back a guy said there are 3 teams at intelligent systems. one for paper mario, advance wars and fire emblem. not that these are fixed, but it sounds like they are capable of developing 3 games at once. also intsys had a hand in the last two warioware games.

there have been several rumours suggesting a new online version of advance wars is development for the ds, one that is supposed to make very good use of the ds's unique features, possibly due for release at the end of the year.

i expect a new fire emblem game is already in development, but as for what system, i don't know. it could be rev or ds.

Yeah, I would expect Paper Mario Rev. to be out by the end of 2007. Then Advance Wars DS Online would probably be out early next, and I have no idea when the next Fire Emblem will come out. Nowadays they usually pump 1 out per year (2002-2005). IS pretty much has a perfect record in developing games. So I'm highly anticipating anything they are working on.

jarrod

Banned
So is FE the best selling SRPG in America these days? How well does Front Mission or N1 stuff sell by comparison?

firex

I've only played the 3 FE games released over here, but this is my favorite. I like a lot of the features it has over the 2 GBA games we got in english:
1) Leveling up to level "21" for class advancement if you don't have a master seal
2) Removal of specific class upgrade items, replaced by the catch-all master seal (allows you a lot more customization in leveling up your army)
3) Bonus exp and all of the other Base functions
4) Class skills (I know from reading on the series that this was in previous FE games too - it's a nice thing to have)
5) The expanded inventory - really, I think this was a great choice. It just adds up to less frustration/needless inventory management.

I still think my ideal FE would be one where you go through a massive amount of chapters (literally 40ish) and get to field a large army in all of them (20 characters for the bulk of the game), so you get to use many different characters and have the chance to max them all out normally, and I kind of hope someday they do this. Along with adding in a War Room feature similar to Advance Wars. And if they were to add in the branching class choices and world map of the Sacred Stones, that'd be even better. But yeah, this game has single handedly kept my gamecube from gathering way more dust than it usually would.

Jefklak

firex said:
I've only played the 3 FE games released over here, but this is my favorite. I like a lot of the features it has over the 2 GBA games we got in english:
1) Leveling up to level "21" for class advancement if you don't have a master seal
2) Removal of specific class upgrade items, replaced by the catch-all master seal (allows you a lot more customization in leveling up your army)

I agree, it's a pain chars stop levelling at 20 and you HAVE to use the master item. It's also a pain because I accidently used my ocean seal on my thief instead of my pirate (who's a much better unit) and he has to wait for a long time until I can get my hands on some seal again. But it really sucks in path of Radiance you can't choose between 2 classes. I really liked that customization touch - now all cavaliers are "yust" paladins, even kieran the "axe knight" will become a paladin so in the end it doesn't matter. Bummer.

By the way, the number of units and their strength in GBA#2 >>>> GCN
A lot units in Radiance suck arse :(

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Jefklak said:
A lot units in Radiance suck arse :(

Yeah.
That kid archer?
Worthless. I'm still playing through the game (finished ch. 13) and I don't even want to bother with him, I have to babysit his ass so much.

PoR is very good, but very hard. >-(

Jefklak

Dude, that guy kills and rapes you, he's awesome.
shinnon stinks Rolf will be way better when he returns

I was actually talking about
every mage user except soren, no secondary healers wtf. Mist is HORRIBLE and the first myrmidon -girl. and brom, and kieran is so-so.

Jefklak said:
Dude, that guy kills and rapes you, he's awesome.
shinnon stinks Rolf will be way better when he returns

I was actually talking about
every mage user except soren, no secondary healers wtf. Mist is HORRIBLE and the first myrmidon -girl. and brom, and kieran is so-so.

Wait did you mix up the names?
Shinnon is the arrogant bastard that comes back later in the game. Rolf is the kid.

My only problem with PoR were the Laguz, I just didn't like using them at all. Some were cool and at least they added something new, but they just weren't for me.

Beezy

Danthrax said:
Yeah.
That kid archer?
Worthless. I'm still playing through the game (finished ch. 13) and I don't even want to bother with him, I have to babysit his ass so much.

Trust me, you'll regret it. He's one of hte best archers you'll ever have. Characters that are hard to level are usually monsters once they class change.

Jefklak

BudokaiMR2 said:
Wait did you mix up the names?
Shinnon is the arrogant bastard that comes back later in the game. Rolf is the kid.

My only problem with PoR were the Laguz, I just didn't like using them at all. Some were cool and at least they added something new, but they just weren't for me.

Check beezys post, he's one of the best. I did not mix up the names :)
laguz is intresting story, i like them. Many of those recuits are crappy but
Lethe is my best char damn she takes on +20 and dodges 99% of 'em

By the way if one of you are using the brothers:
DONT TAKE AXE OR SWORD AS SECOND WEAPON FOR YOUR PALLY! if you use bows, rolf oscar and boyd can perform a combo attack. I was VERY stupid

Jefklak said:
Check beezys post, he's one of the best. I did not mix up the names :)
laguz is intresting story, i like them. Many of those recuits are crappy but
Lethe is my best char damn she takes on +20 and dodges 99% of 'em

By the way if one of you are using the brothers:
DONT TAKE AXE OR SWORD AS SECOND WEAPON FOR YOUR PALLY! if you use bows, rolf oscar and boyd can perform a combo attack. I was VERY stupid

oh okay I just misread your post. I thought you were saying that when Rolf comes back he will be better. Personally I ended up using both because i love my archers.

But yeah I liked the story with laguz but I just didn't care for most of the characters. <shrug>

Oh...
I got them all bows but I never got a damn chance to try that attack out. Maybe I should go back and load an old save...

ethelred

Danthrax said:
Yeah.
That kid archer?

Are you kidding? He is a fantastic character. Amazing speed and critical chances, and pretty good strength as well.

Anyway, my hope is that Intelligent Systems is currently working on Paper Mario 3 (for Rev), Advance Wars DS 2, Fire Emblem DS, and Fire Emblem Rev.I need more Fire Emblem for both handhelds and home ocnsoles. And hopefully once they get the first FE DS up and running, they can follow the GBA route and quickly pump out a few awesome sequels by reusing the engine.

ethelred said:
Are you kidding? He is a fantastic character. Amazing speed and critical chances, and pretty good strength as well.

Anyway, my hope is that Intelligent Systems is currently working on Paper Mario 3 (for Rev), Advance Wars DS 2, Fire Emblem DS, and Fire Emblem Rev.I need more Fire Emblem for both handhelds and home ocnsoles. And hopefully once they get the first FE DS up and running, they can follow the GBA route and quickly pump out a few awesome sequels by reusing the engine.

I would actually be really happy if they could pump out a compilation for the US. I would love to have some localized versions of the fire emblems we never got. I am about to start playing through one in Japanese, but it would be nice to get them in english. Even nicer if they could port them to DS with touch support.

But yeah Rev/DS fire emblems are a must.

Top Bottom