• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Publisher: Square Enix
Developer: Square Enix
Platform: Playstation 3
Genre: Action RPG
Rating: ESRB E10+/PEGI 12
MSRP: $39.99/39.99€/£24.99 | $99.99/99.99€/£79.99 CE
Release Date:
A1WUZFj.png
October 2, 2014
qaJIQmV.png
December 2, 2014
PEcz5Sb.png
December 4, 2014
o8jsZxM.png
December 5, 2014

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX is the follow-up compilation to Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX. Like the first collection it will include two remastered games: Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix and Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep Final Mix. Also featured in the collection is Kingdom Hearts Re:coded completely remade into story cutscenes with no gameplay. All neatly on a single Blu-Ray disc.

Remember to tag spoilers since there are new players joining in. Especially for BBS.

Standard edition:

Limited Edition (pre-order) includes an Official Disney collectible pin. The pin and the game come in a box the same height as 1.5 limited edition. See pictures here (EU ver).

VfIvqdQ.png

Collector's edition:

Overview
Originally released for the Playstation 2 in 2005, Kingdom Hearts 2 continues the story of Sora, Donald and Goofy in search of their friends through a bunch of Disney themed worlds. It serves as a direct sequel to Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories although the gameplay goes back to being a more traditional action RPG, resulting in an evolution of the gameplay found in Kingdom Hearts 1. Compared to KH1 it features a vastly improved camera, faster combat with more options and a bucketload of QTEs while toning down the platforming elements and map complexity.

Remaster
Unlike the remaster of the first game, this one features no additional gameplay changes or additions outside of those introduced in the Final Mix version of the game. However the remaster does feature the game running in 1080p 30fps with the entire soundtrack remade! Check out an example: old versus new.

Being on PS3 it of course also features trophies! Check the list here. And not to worry kids, difficulty trophies do stack this time!

Final Mix
Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix is a previously Japan-exclusive re-release of Kingdom Hearts 2 that came out in 2007. It features a hefty amount of new content that make the game worth revisiting even if you already know the base game like the back of your hand. In addition to a huge amount of balance changes, improved/corrected textures and other small tweaks the major additions include:

• A new difficulty mode. Critical mode has enemies deal double damage and the player only has half of the HP compared to other modes. However the player is also rewarded with a huge amount of AP and extra abilities right from the beginning for taking on the challenge.
  • ~30 minutes worth of new cutscenes including a new CG secret ending. Also all the new scenes feature full english voice acting recorded specifically for this collection.
  • New abilities including ''Exp 0'' that allows you to play the whole game in level 1 if the additional challenge of Critical mode is not enough.
  • Most Heartless have been recoloured
  • New christmas costumes and music while in Christmas Town.
  • New weapons, accessories, armor and expanded synthesis.
  • A new drive form. Limit Form uses the skills from the older games in the series and does not require a party member to use.
  • New puzzle piece collecting sidequest.
  • Mushroom Heartless are back and they have formed an organization of their own! The ''Mushroom XIII'' has scattered to different worlds offering optional side quest challenges to the player.
  • Roxas
    is now fully playable boss battle rather than just a cutscene.
  • 5 optional boss battles against Organization XIII members featured in Chain of Memories. These are scattered to different worlds giving the player a new challenging sidequest while playing the main story.
  • Cavern of Remembrance. A whole new dungeon meant for post game housing new super versions of heartless.
  • Post game superboss versions of all 13 Org XIII members.
  • New post game superboss, the Lingering Will.
  • New Gummi missions and blocks.
  • Theater Mode. Watch previously viewed cutscenes.

Overview
Originally released for the PSP in 2010, Birth By Sleep serves as the prequel entry of the series taking place ten years before the events of Kingdom Hearts 1. The story focuses on three new characters: Terra, Aqua and Ventus and explores the origins of many key elements of the series. Unlike the previous handheld KH games BBS was the first one to truly try to match the full experience found in the home console entries.

The game is divided into three episodes, one for each main character with their own gameplay style and story. Combat system is a blend of the basic combat found in KH1+2 and a heavy focus on customization that draws inspiration from Chain of Memories. The player has access to well over a hundred different skills and spells that can be melded together to form new ones.

Remaster
The remastered version changes some gameplay elements in addition to the changes introduced in the Final Mix version. The most notable one is that multiplayer has been completely removed. Multiplayer arena content has thus been rebalanced for single player. Controls obviously are improved with the camera on the second stick allowing the shoulder buttons to be used for selecting commands. Also playing the game with Exp 0 on has been made much easier.

The game runs in 1080p 30fps with improved character and weapon models. Sound effects have also been improved but unlike KH2FM the soundtrack is untouched except for a few tracks.

Being on PS3 it also of course has trophy support. Check the list here.

Final Mix
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep Final Mix is a previously Japan-exclusive re-release of Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep that came out in 2011. Some of the additional content was already implemented into the western release of BBS so the amount of new stuff for us westerners isn't quite as hefty as in KH2FM but there is still some cool stuff to discover. Along with bunch of balance changes and small tweaks the major additions not seen in the localized versions before include:

• A new Keyblade: Royal Radiance.
  • A new Command Style: Rythm Mixer.
  • Every Unversed has been recoloured.
  • New commands including Illusion commands that allow you to turn into an Unversed.
  • Battle Missions. New mini-game challenges found in many different worlds.
  • 3 new optional bossfights found at the Mirage Arena. Monstro, Armor of Eraqus and No Heart.
  • Secret Episode. A new playable ~30 min epilogue with ''new'' enemies and a new final boss.

Overview
Originally released for the Nintendo DS in 2010, Kingdom Hearts Re:coded is a remake of Kingdom Hearts coded, an episodic, Japan only mobile game that was released from 2008 to 2010. It is a direct sequel to Kingdom Hearts 2.

Remaster
The ''remaster'' of Re:Coded isn't a game at all but rather 3 hours worth of cutscenes based on the NDS game. So let's recap: what we are dealing with here is basically a movie based on a remake of an episodic mobile game. Wrap your head around that.

The Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days ''movie'' from the first collection got criticism for skipping pretty much all battle scenes so SE has made sure to include them in this one. Also while many of the scenes in this are made from ground up to replicate gameplay events from the DS game they have included a few totally new scenes as a bonus that have some ties to Kingdom Hearts χ [chi] (Japan only browser game. And yes, that is canon.) and Kingdom Hearts 3.

FAQ

Q: I have no idea what order to play these games/I'm new to the series
A: Release order is optimal and if you are totally new to the series 1.5 might be the collection you are looking for. KH1->CoM->KH2->Days->BBS->Coded->DDD

Q: Is there a digital version?
A: No. KH games never seem to get digital releases. The reason isn't entirely clear but most likely it's tied to Disney or problems with having licensing issues with the Utada Hikaru songs.

Q: PS4/Xbox/Wii U/PC/Vita version?
A: No. According to SE in a IGN interview from E3 ''there is a consideration going to the next generation as well'' but no announcements as of yet so who knows.

Q: So what is the overall quality of the remasters?
A: Based on the Japanese version: The games run in 1080p 30fps (with some rare drops, especially in BBS) with no AA. Pre-rendered scenes and some UI elements are lower resolution. Overall the games look really great but there are some issues. One is a missing textures glitch. This can however be fixed with resetting the game. Also the load times are slightly longer than the original versions. This is especially noticable in KH2 when using a driveform. Some reaction commands (QTEs) can be a little wonky. Some sound effects have trouble playing correctly but this is a minor issue. There has been no word as of yet if any of this is fixed in the western version.

Q: Is the game censored?
A: Yes, KH2 is based on the censored version.

Q: Where is Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance? (AKA why the hell is Coded here?)
A: DDD will probably get a standalone HD release. SE is ''looking into it'' and in the credits of 2.5 there are scenes from DDD in the same way 1.5 had scenes of the games in this collection.

Q: Do the difficulty trophies stack? Any missable trophies I should be worried about?
A: Yes. Every trophy can be gained on a single playtrough if you play on critical mode. There are no missable trophies outside of the difficulty ones.

Q: What order should I play the Birth By Sleep episodes?
A: Official Nomura order is Terra->Ven->Aqua. Personally I suggest Ven->Terra->Aqua. It doesn't matter too much so play it like you want. Consensus is however to leave Aqua last.

Q: Sword, Shield or Staff?
A: #teamshield

Reviews
Metacritic
EGM 8.0
Push Square 8
Gamesbeat 85
Hardcoregamer 4/5
Gameinformer 9

Celebrate the release of 2.5 with some Nomura art avatars!

VhPsPoI.png
qIBUuae.png
ge2rnaY.png
9FjQsRh.png
CMscUbr.png
P0EUPqy.png
86lnqfY.png
LMkLmtx.png
x7Q9iIR.png
BMgXbek.png
TYv7ncR.png
QL5OxB6.png
9yZgF4O.png
Sp0wMZ3.png
JAbDx55.png
3tTGli4.png
DVvQhzL.png
JCIIDpx.png
27jadHz.png
07hG5r7.png
pmXga4u.png
nKERpgV.png
AYK2qcR.png
4LGUMKo.png
a3Xedlg.png
eAB08YV.png
cs08BuR.png
BTUxT37.png
42QDJRq.png
TpjWGfl.png
1qPb3KP.png
PZWxiCf.png
y72ktkJ.png
jUbYzSf.png
hqRwXJC.png
NZ4UGZx.png
KfuhBbF.png
2ahCpkn.png
IvTe6u9.png
VGHDlT1.png
8S9I4Kd.png

Special thanks to Paddington Bear for the banner GIFs. Now get back up on the Hydra's back!

Andrefpvs

To everyone playing the games in this collection for the first time, enjoy Birth by Sleep! Best KH game.

Overall this is a great package, with it having the best version of KH2 as well.

EDIT: 🔑~Useful Stuff~ 🔑

Caladrius is writing a great guide for defeating KH2FM's secret bosses, so I might as well make use of this early post to link to it here:

Beginner's guide to the Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix Optional Bosses Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Also:

Kinsei's list of missables in KH2's prologue (You only need more than 1200 munny for the +2 AP, not 2000)

Seda

Looking forward to playing Birth by Sleep with a controller and seeing if Final Mix additions change my stance on Kingdom Hearts 2.

Tomorrow is a long time to wait. ;_;

So jealous of those that got their's early or are getting the collector's edition. Really want the steel case for 2.5 but I digress.

Very Impressive OT, thanks. Finished up CoM Reverse/Rebirth this past weekend, I'm ready to inject 2.5 directly into mah veins!

Cess007

I've purposely delayed played KH1.5 in order to start playing KH in chronological order. So, now, i can't wait to start with BBS :D

Q: Is the game censored?
A: Yes, KH2 is based on the censored version.

Wait, there's an uncensored version? What was censored?

Xeroblade

what sucks is i want this really bad but its on the ps3 and ive moved on. I am sure we will get a master collection for both games on ps4, i hope.

SerTapTap

Got my LE of 1.5+2.5 a couple days ago (does anyone else's artbook not close all the way?). Haven't played any but KH2 and I'm not really feeling like tackling 1.5 yet. any of the side games approachable enough to start first? I nearly 100%'d KH2 at release but I could hardly tell you what any of the story was about. I was mostly in it for the gameplay and Square fanservice

ryseing

Thanks for the avatar!

Man, I am really tempted to get this, but then I remember I didn't play much of 1.5.

BBS is god tier though. Easily the best KH game, and one of my all time favorites.

Really informative well done OP. Thank you!

Got my preorder in and can't wait to play. But I think I will save it till Christmas. I just restarted playing 1.5 last night and will play through those games before I even think about doing 2.5 stuff. As someone who loved KH 2 I eagerly await the additional content. I remember KH 2 having one of the most epic final bosses in any videogame so it will be nice to see it in HD. BBS was good too, but I had to shelf my playthrough like 1/2 way in when I heard that it was getting remastered. Combat felt like I was dancing. Loved how natural it felt once the destruction started flowing.

And one of the main reasons I will be playing is to experience the story. It used to be all about the cameos and such, but now I am eager to unravel the mysteries.

entremet

Why aren't these game on PSN ever?

I prefer digital these days for the PS3. Most new PS3 releases are on PSN nowadays. Even SE stuff.

AztecSoul

I take Dolan, also, great OT, shame I don't have more money to buy this collection ):

I Blame Smash and Pokemon for that

Hag

So what's the game size on the store or it's retail only? o_O

Man those Aqua avatars... must resist

Top Bottom