• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you have any headcanons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

HEAD·CANON /HED-KANƏN/

1. Used by followers of various media of entertainment, such as television shows, movies, books, etc. to note a particular belief which has not been used in the universe of whatever program or story they follow, but seems to make sense to that particular individual, and as such is adopted as a sort of “personal canon”. Headcanon may be upgraded to canon if it is incorporated into the program or story’s universe.
  2. An idea, belief, or aspect of a story that is not mentioned in the media itself, but is accepted by either the reader themselves or the fandom in general. If it is confirmed by the author of the story, it becomes canon.

Here's a few of my favorite headcanons

Smash Bros

tumblr_napjqdssc91qmzsn0o1_1280.jpg

Pixar

At the end of Wall-E, the humans have returned to Earth and are eager to embrace their responsibility as stewards of the planet and forsaking their comfortable pasts. We’re led to believe that everything works out, and a series of beautifully rendered paintings describe the new golden age of humanity.

This is a lie, an electronic hallucination shared by WallE and Eve as they sit beneath the world’s first new tree. The truth is that the returned humans quickly died out. Despite their enthusiasm, the humans lack the knowledge — let alone the muscle mass — to build an agrarian society. (Case in point, the film ends with the captain shouting that he’s going to grow a “pizza plant.”)

This leaves a spaceship full of robots and an empty planet on the brink of rebirth. They are alone on a lonely world. They were designed to serve, and their masters are all dead. On the brink of computerized madness, these already unhinged robots begin a desperate search for meaning, finding it in the human history stored on the ship’s computer.

Pouring over the data logs, the robots begin to fill their emptiness with reminders of human culture. Lacking advanced tools, the robots begin with early history, looking to make rough-hewn ersatz versions of the human world. Because the large, bulbous-bodied humans are the only beings they’ve ever known, the robots model their own likenesses after the vehicles the humans once drove — mistaking them for a more perfect version of Homo sapiens, as Ford Prefect did. The combination of Wall-E’s piecemeal utility and EVE’s slick technology along with a cargo-cult mentality is Lightning McQueen, and Mater.

Being purpose-built creations, the robots take well to their new forms. They begin to build companions and new bodies for themselves based on the vehicles that their former masters had created. Other robots, led by the mechanical perfectionist MOE, go into the wilds of the Earth, cleaning the remaining pollution and even carving monuments to their new car bodies into the very landscape.

The robots continue long after the demise/complete repurposing of the original settlers until they have unintentionally recreated all of human history without humanity. Their roots lost to the ravages of time, the Cars — the new denizens of Earth — now walk alone through a maddened monument to beings long forgotten.

Super Mario Bros.

Have you ever considered the politics of the Super Mario Bros. universe? Think about it. Bowser is constantly kidnapping Peach and the world seems to only be inhabited by hostile creatures that seem to want nothing but the death of the protagonist. In fact, outside of the Toadstools, his brother Luigi, and Yoshi (more on that later), everyone seems to hate Mario. There is a reason for that. Instead of the portly plummer being the helpful hero of the people, he is actually leading in the suppression of the coalition rebel forces lead by Bowser to end Peach’s oppressive rule. Consider the fact that Bowser’s castle is always in an incredibly harsh environment, yet Peach’s is in a lush field. Mario has killed millions of Koopas and various other “enemies” and for what? To restore a leader who spends her time baking cakes, going on extravagant tropical vacations, playing tennis, golf, or various other sports, and go-karting. Bowser’s not trying to hurt anyone. He just wants his people to have their share.

Code name: James Bond

Let’s take a look at James Bond. In one film he’s a clown, in one film he’s a cold-hearted killer. In one film he’s sleeping with every girl he sees and in another he’s getting married (!). Heck, the current Bond is a blonde. So how does one rectify the different personalities, physical features, and other variances from Bond to Bond? Oh and lets not forget to ask how the man hasn’t been aging over the last 50 years. The solution? Codename Jame Bond.

This is a highly divisive fan theory that “James Bond” is actually a code name passed down from actor to actor, resulting in 007 having been a number of different people. While there are some problems with this concept, it does make the films a bit more interesting. For example, this would explain why Lazenby-Bond was only in the single film as well as why Connery-Bond returned to the role after Lazenby-Bond’s single film: during the course of the film Bond falls in love and eventually gets married, only for his wife to be murdered in the closing moments of the film. Lazenby-Bond is so distraught by this turn of events that he needs a break for the service and they are forced to reactivate Connery-Bond for the next film. This also explains how M continues to age while Bond stays around the same age. Dalton-Bond went rogue and was kicked out. Brosnan-Bond was abandoned by the government. It’s crazy, but it sort of makes sense in a weird offbeat way.

Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin had long since grown out of his need to the imaginary tiger Hobbes. Having graduated from high school and college but unable to find employment, Calvin eventually took a job working with an auto company. Though the job affords him the opportunity to travel across the country, he still finds it unfulfilling and eventually develops a bad case of insomnia. He goes to his doctor to get medication for his aliment, but the doctor refuses and suggests he go to a support group to see what real suffering is like. He does, but instead of gaining the perspective the doctor wanted, tricks them into thinking himself a fellow victim and gain the group’s sympathy. The emotional release is enough to cure his insomnia and he becomes addicted to support groups. After a flight home from a business trip, Calvin returns home to find his apartment has been destroyed by an explosion. He decides to calls a soap salesman whom he befriended on the flight named Tyler Durden.

And this post on how Loki won The Avengers.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I like to think Mario cares about its story.

I'm that guy.

At least I realize it as headcanon, though. It's mostly leftover from my perception of the games and TV shows as a kid.

In wrestling, I always figured the TitanTron operated as if it had a mind of its own. Sensing whenever wrestlers enter the Gorilla Position, it plays the appropriate video and music to warn everyone in the ring. When it doesn't play, the wrestler snuck by it to do a surprise attack.

Lightsabres cut through anything except another lightsabre or some kind of energy field. Fuck your Cortosis and whatever other crap they've got thesedays.

DarkKyo

Hmm.. Not sure if it counts but I still fully believe that Zelda magically transforms into a male when she becomes Sheik in Ocarina of Time. It's not really explained in the game so there's not too much to support it, and it seems like very few people believe it. I feel like the only way Zelda could have fooled Ganon and Link with her disguise was to become a completely different person(and she wanted to pass herself off as a male, obviously). That coupled with her instant transformation skill in Melee/Brawl is enough IMO to support this theory.

bengraven

- P.S. - The never shot storyboards for the meeting between "Anthony Williams" and Rory's dad are canon as far as I'm concerned. BBC even posted them online themselves. It was meant to be a DVD extra, but they couldn't get the actor (Rory/Weasley's dad) to film the scene, since he was busy.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Regular Show and Adventure Time exist in the same universe.

Mordecai and Rigby caused the Mushroom War because they're always doing all sorts of crazy shit only this time it had real unchangeable consequences.

Event Horizon being a Warhammer 40k prequel is "headcanon", no?

As for my personal example, I believe Silent Hill ended with the SH3 UFO ending. Everything after is just bullshit.

way more

Calvin and Hobbes

Vomit-GIF.gif

The Bond one is actually interesting. The rest are what come from the minds of culturally-stunted types that know so little of adult literature and movies that they think everything relates to anime and pokemon shows.

Edit: AKA, from the people that write TvTropes.

Jill Valentine and Rebecca Chambers are secretly in a lesbian relationship. I choose to believe this regardless of whatever they say or the fact that these two characters don't really ever interact at all.

Enker

Oh and Elsa is totally gay.

“As heir, Elsa was preferable, of course, but no one was getting anywhere with her.” Disney probably won’t come out and say it of course, besides that double entendre. So head canon it is.

In reality, she’s probably just too emotionally scarred from years of isolation to be close with anyone except her sister, but it’d be cool if she was.

cartesian

Halo - Humans and Forerunners are the same species. We used to have a galactic empire, but were forced to wipe the slate clean during the ruinous war with the Flood many thousands of years ago. We then reseeded ourselves on Earth to begin anew. This was the original storyline but was retconed by 343 Industries. (So for me there are two timelines - original Bungie canon and the new 343 canon - in the same way that the original Stargate movie and SG-1 are said to occupy both the same and separate universes.)

Stargate SG-1 - Speaking of Stargate... seasons 9 and 10 never happened, the Ori don't exist, Sam and Jack got together right after 'Threads', everyone lived happily ever after, and Don S Davis definitely didn't pass away in real life either. :(

Command & Conquer - Red Alert 1 is the starting point for two distinct timelines - via Red Alert 2 and via Tiberian Dawn. RA2 and TD exist in separate universes, but both stem from Red Alert 1. Kane in Red Alert 1 is the Kane in Tiberian Sun. This is not complicated or controversial, but EA briefly insisted that Red Alert 1 is not a prequel to Tiberian Dawn and have never officially reversed that stance.

Burt

I'll bite.

Time travel in Terminator movies sends you to a parallel universe, and none of a time travelers action's can affect their timeline of origin. They can't be sending people back into the same timeline because if that were happening, as soon as Skynet sent back the first Terminator, boom, that would've been it. Timeline changed, no chance to send back Kyle Reese. A bit depressing that you can't undo Judgment Day, but at least they stop it in the other timelines.

Yeah, overthinking a killer robot movie.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Why am I suddenly seeing the word "canon" everywhere lately? I swear its usage has shot up like 5000% over the past month or so.

Why am I suddenly seeing the word "canon" everywhere lately? I swear its usage has shot up like 5000% over the past month or so.

I haven't noticed it being used more. It's always been used a lot since really it's one of a kind and is applicable to so many story conversations, it's natural that it would come up a lot. Maybe you're just seeing the uses more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom