• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is Yerba mate safe to drink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got this new tea from the market. Googling reveals ot causes cancer, but also packs a beneficial punch. Any South American gaffers have any experience with it?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Everything will give you cancer. Best to feel good while dying from it.

I love the stuff and have been drinking it for a few years now, I'll let you know in a few years if I develop anything bad.

I drink mate all day, every day! It's safe and sound. BTW, drink it without sugar or any other sweetener, and do not use boiling water (75°C is ideal).

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
It's not a death sentence, same with alcohol. Thus far, the research indicates that the hot temperature of the beverage and the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH, also found in bbq meats and tobacco, among other things) content might make it possible for it to be associated with a higher risk of cancer, but they also need more longitudinal data of lifestyle factors.

So, as long as you aren't guzzling tons of it at a high temperature, you're fine.

It's not a death sentence, same with alcohol. Thus far, the research indicates that the hot temperature of the beverage and the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH, also found in bbq meats and tobacco, among other things) content might make it possible for it to be associated with a higher risk of cancer, but they also need more longitudinal data of lifestyle factors.

So, as long as you aren't guzzling tons of it at a high temperature, you're fine.

That's because of the boiling water. It burns the weed, thus the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.

Drink all you want. Just don't use boiling water.

Growlie19

My Spanish professor has it all the time, and she's perfectly healthy! She even gave everyone in class a teabag of it so we could try it out. I remember she said it had a calming effect, among other benefits. I've yet to try my free tea, but others in my class said it's good. Go for it!

A Fish Aficionado

That's because of the boiling water. It burns the weed, thus the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.

Drink all you want. Just don't use boiling water.

Both cold and hot infusions have PAH's and so do many things we consume, including normal tea leaves.

My point is don't believe the cancer fear-mongering without doing a bit of research.

ATF487

Interesting...I usually pour boiling water over it. I need to get me one of those temperature adjusting electric kettles.

I didn't like the flavor at first but I appreciate it now, very earthy. Not as much caffeine as coffee but it's a nice alternative and gentler on the stomach

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yerba Mate is one of my favorite things on earth. I haven't had it for maybe half a year now though... I was spending too much money on it. I was going through two pounds of loose leaf in a month and didn't want to be spending that kind of money. I really need to pick some up again soon though.

Anyways, it's only been correlated with cancer among people who drink a TON of it all the time. As long as you drink a normal amount, you'll be totally fine.

One of my dreams in life is to grow enough Yerba Mate so that I have enough to drink.

Manu

Anyways, it's only been correlated with cancer among people who drink a TON of it all the time. As long as you drink a normal amount, you'll be totally fine.

If this were true, all of Uruguay and most of Argentina should have cancer.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Well, just ask yourself: would you rather have cancer or a beneficial punch?

I think the answer is obvious.

Or is it...

If it was between no cancer and Yerba Mate, I'd pick Yerba Mate every time.

Ehhh, close enough. PNW, San Francisco, or somewhere south of LA. Those would have been the top 3.

There's nothing quite like generalizing a whole coastline.

Seth C

There's nothing quite like generalizing a whole coastline.

Woah there. I've left off everything from Eugene to San Francisco, and San Francisco to LA. That's not even a quarter of the coast line. Plus, well, it's accurate. That's not my fault.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Yes it is! :D

We are talking about proper mate, with the gourd and all that right?
Not that bullshit canned thing available in some places...

yes

everyone drinks mate in argieland

i'm 26 and still alive and mostly healthy
Argie mate sucks though, the yerba has too many sticks and most pour sugar or some sweetener into it
there has to be a special circle of hell for those people

as a uruguayan: yes. also mandatory
Truth.

If this were true, all of Uruguay and most of Argentina should have cancer.
LOL this.
As a good Uruguayan I drink at least 1L per day, so if it did I should be dead already.

zkylon

zkylewd
chewing coca leaves is also pretty alright and unfortunately not psychedelic in the slightest

Argie mate sucks though, the yerba has too many sticks and most pour sugar or some sweetener into it
there has to be a special circle of hell for those people
filthy uru lies

most argies don't have it sweet what the hell

you should be ashamed

wow this stuff really nukes the appetite eh?

I had it yesterday at night, I felt energetic and did some programming. had it this morning with some blueberry juice and now it's 1:15 and I still don't feel hungry.

I like it. It tastes a bit earthy without sugar for me though you can think whatever you want about me. I actually can drink it fine without sugar but i just like sugar don't hate.

Love my yerba mate! I've found it give me mental energy but without the jitters that coffee gives me. I've been drinking it for years and no issues for me.

FuuRe

I've been taking CBSe Guaraná for a year and it seems i'm
still
ok

Mate for ages! you can't go wrong

van-god-damme-o.gif

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
A coke will give you higher chances of cancer IMO...

Uruguayans and Argentinians drink that stuff all day, everyone, it's annoying.

As everyone has said, don't drink it with boiling water (same with coffee, tea, etc).

A Fish Aficionado

wow this stuff really nukes the appetite eh?

I had it yesterday at night, I felt energetic and did some programming. had it this morning with some blueberry juice and now it's 1:15 and I still don't feel hungry.
Stimulants tend to do that. In some people it's the opposite because pharmacological reasons. It's weird.

studyguy

I have some of this but never really liked the flavor, I understand people drink it for other benefits... Yerba Buena is the GOAT though, minty delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom