• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the iPad underrated as a gaming device?

MercuryLS

Banned
I get that it doesn't have buttons and that it's not so great for a lot of games that really rely on that type of input method (platformers especially). But for games that take great advantage of the touchscreen you can get some truly fantastic games on the machine. I was playing through Broken Age, Phoenix Wright, Skulls of the Shogun, Republic, 80 Days, and a ton more games and they work so well on the iPad. We're even getting Papers Please tomorrow and that should play beautifully on a touchscreen device.

The major thing that's undermining it the metric fuckton of F2P garbage. There is a right and wrong way to make F2P games and most of the wrong way are on iPad. I just saw a new Peggle F2P game on the store and it was recommended by Apple on the front page of the App Store. It wasn't enough to destroy PvZ with FP2 shit, they had to do it to Peggle too.

But I digress, there are a ton of really great games in the $5-10 range that are either made specifically for iPad or are PC titles that translate well to touchscreens that have made their way to the platform and it's just getting better and better. I always hoped that the iPad would be a great platform for games and it's really coming into its own now I think. I've got a lot of games on my iPad that are legitimately fantastic, deep experiences that are taking time away from console titles.

So what say you, is the iPad underrated?

TI82

Banned
Android seems better in all ways from controller support to user experience. So no, not really.

It's not underrated. It has a respectable community who follows it, and holds a certain standard to which people view it at, but I don't think it really goes above and beyond that. I think it is a respectable gaming platform, but it's still closer to the bottom in my opinion.

It's fairly rated, but people who say it sucks are stupid.

HyperOne

Banned
No...it isn't underrated. Low tier where it belongs. Personally I am very much unconvinced with the prospect of a medium incapable of providing the all important tactile feedback.

I can see a select few VN style games (and mobile garbage) working on it, but besides that, there is almost always a better version of the game.

topplehat

Android seems better in all ways from controller support to user experience. So no, not really.

This is mostly subjective, but the iOS game selection is much better than the Android game selection. The big thing Android has over iOS is broad emulator support.

It's okay.

I got an iPad a week ago, and I've been downloading a bunch of games to try 'em out.

So far, I'm not that impressed with most of the games.

I like Kingdom Rush a helluva lot, and some of the P&C games are pretty good.

I was excited to play Shadow Run Dragonfall on it, but the game is pretty choppy. Would rather just play it on PC I think.

OP, what games would you recommend?

SerTapTap

As an acceptable experience for untold hundreds of thousands of bad games and a few quite good ones, no I'd say the general impression is about right. Just browsing the store and all the garbage became so mentally taxing I've stopped using mine at all.

Ranger X

Well, I do quite alot IOS gaming and I must admit I am tired of my Ipod.
I am only waiting to have some money and get an Ipad because gaming there will become much more interesting.

f0lken

It's okay.

I got an iPad a week ago, and I've been downloading a bunch of games to try 'em out.

I was excited to play Shadow Run Dragonfall on it, but the game is pretty choppy. Would rather just play it on PC I think.

Hearthstone

Fusebox

Banned
Nope, iOS gamers know the truth. Games developed for touch can be fucking amazing on iPad.

Personally I prefer iPad Mini for games, the form-factor is a bit better for gripping. TWEWY is gorgeous on it.

Rembrandt

Banned
I think it's right where it deserves. Most people recognize the potential of it as a gaming device and there are some great games on it. it's also, sadly, connected to some of the worst things about gaming. It has its drawbacks and pluses, but it doesn't deserve to be higher than a Vita or 3DS. But it's not incredibly low as a platform. Most games I play on there are rightfully free since they are nothing more than glorified flash games I could have found on kongregate or newgrounds. there are some exceptions of course.

Occam

It doesn't have built-in buttons, which means all games must be designed to do without. Touch-screen gaming is not the same as regular gaming because it doesn't offer precise controls and tactile feedback.
As such, it's not underrated.

EDIT: For instance PS Vita, now THAT's an underrated system.

MercuryLS

Banned
It's okay.

I tend to really like adventure/puzzle games on it which work really well. My recommendations would be:

Letterpress
Cut The Rope
Knightmare Tower (highest possible recommendation, my favorite iOS game)
Tiny Thief
Ridiculous Fishing
Wold of Goo
Paint it Black
Monument Valley
Skulls of the Shogun
Battleheart
Hitman Go
Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies
Swords and Sworcery
Republique
Broken Age
80 Days
Framed

It deserves the reputation it has. It has a few solid games on it, but the vast majority of game releases are cash ins or very low quality. Others try to emulate consoles with touch controls and that just doesn't work.

TI82

Banned
This is mostly subjective, but the iOS game selection is much better than the Android game selection. The big thing Android has over iOS is broad emulator support.

Only thing I've been actively looking for and is missing is hearthstone. There may be more but I haven't noticed.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Definitely, and before owning an iPad, I was guilty of this too. There are some really great games on it. Sadly, there's a lot of shovelware too, but that goes for any major platform. Just avoid the intentionally broken games that charge you via IAP purchases and search out the amazing experiences that don't get much coverage - example: Device6.

Vlade

It's a device that in theory could support something fun, but there is very little to really talk about in the scope of all games that are currently being released on any platform. So it's like a Vita without good controls i guess. imho, its overrated if you think of it as a gaming device.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Just bought an Air 2. Gaming on this thing is dreadful. Maybe, other casual consumers will find it okay.

Firestorm

I've been seriously considering one for portable Pokemon TCG Online and maybe some Hearthstone. Mad I missed the Black Friday sales :(
Jack of all trades, master of none, most restrictive marketplace between all platforms.
So restrictive that it seems to have the best game selection.

emag

Ace Attorney 5
Ghost Trick
Monument Valley
Rayman Fiesta/Jungle Run
+ a ton of board game conversions (and a few PC ports)

EDIT: Also,

80 Days
Sword & Sworcery
Square-Enix ports (Final Fantasy Tactics, FF series, Dragon Quest series)
Telltale games (Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us, GoT, Borderlands, etc.)

UberTag

Provided that you're willing to take the time to sift through the shovelware, the iPad is just fine as a gaming device.
Sifting through the clutter is where it gets taxing. But there's a lot of original game ideas being conceived in that space for those willing to seek it out.

On gaming forums, absolutely. Though it's less the device itself and more its games still having the inexplicable "they're not real games" stigma.

Bl@de

I would expect more adventure games, real time strategy, rpgs ... But a couple of good games are overshadowed by kim kardashian whatever-just-pay-us-simulator -.-

Huggers

I really tried to give iPad gaming a fair go but I just got bored of the games quickly. Touch screen gaming is not for me. Played the highly thought of The Room and enjoyed it but only for about 10 minutes. Throw away gaming for the most part

MercuryLS

Banned
Only thing I've been actively looking for and is missing is hearthstone. There may be more but I haven't noticed.

You can't miss what you don't have. iOS gets way more and better games than Android on a regular basis. Some make it over to Android, many don't.

Felspawn

power-is-nothing-without-control.png

Or a controller, in this case

tahsutify

I have one because there was a deal for it so it was half the price ( Ipad 4). Almost all games are garbage or better played on your phone because bigger screen doesn't give you any advantage and most of the time it is uncomfortable to play games. Other than that there are some good old PC or console games and they are better played on an Android device because of emulators (much bigger selection), controller support and so on. I only put significant time into Baldur's Gate because it was a bit difficult to control on a phone.

I can also say that whenever a tablet is an option to play games on, ı have a better device there. So if anything it is overrated in my opinion.

Pretty much its only feature that is worth talking about is its great screen.

giapel

I find myself playing more often on the iPad than on any other platform, so no, I wouldnt call it underrated. It's a great device and has great games. Most people that own one know that.

Ace Attorney 5
Ghost Trick
Monument Valley
Rayman Fiesta/Jungle Run
+ a ton of board game conversions (and a few PC ports)

I have Ace Attorney on 3DS. I picked up Ghost Trick on iPad, that seems alright.

I tend to prefer turn-based games on ipad, but I find a lot of the best ones are too graphic-intensive and therefore 'chug' a bit. It's a shame.

Nothing turn-based I've played so far really competes with a dedicated hand-held platform like the Vita. I've tried 10 or so RPGs on it, but none are as fun as the $ 10 Suikoden II I bought on Vita last night.

MercuryLS

Banned
Tell me more about this game. Why is your favorite?

It's a game that is very basic when it comes to controls, you use the accelerometer and tap the screen to shoot your guy down with a sword to kill enemies. Over time you get coins and build up your guy to take on the boss at the top of the tower. It has great art, visuals, music, and tight gameplay that has that addictive "one more time" quality to it. It'll take a few hours to beat and there's a endless mode that unlocks after you beat the boss. I believe it's $3 in the store so it's reasonably priced, there's also a free version that may have ads or is limited in some way. Give it a shot and see if it clicks for you, I really love the game and go back to it often to just mess around.

Karkador

Banned
I have Ace Attorney on 3DS. I picked up Ghost Trick on iPad, that seems alright.

I tend to prefer turn-based games on ipad, but I find a lot of the best ones are too graphic-intensive and therefore 'chug' a bit. It's a shame.

Nothing turn-based I've played so far really competes with a dedicated hand-held platform like the Vita. I've tried 10 or so RPGs on it, but none are as fun as the $ 10 Suikoden II I bought on Vita last night.

Digital Board Games Thread: Async Multiplatform Meeples

It's a game that is very basic when it comes to controls, you use the accelerometer and tap the screen to shoot your guy down with a sword to kill enemies. Over time you get coins and build up your guy to take on the boss at the top of the tower. It has great art, visuals, music, and tight gameplay that has that addictive "one more time" quality to it. It'll take a few hours to beat and there's a endless mode that unlocks after you beat the boss. I believe it's $3 in the store so it's reasonably priced, there's also a free version that may have ads or is limited in some way. Give it a shot and see if it clicks for you, I really love the game and go back to it often to just mess around.

Cool, thanks!

Thanks for posting that.

Truth is though, when I say 'turn based' I'm not referring to board games. I don't dig digital board games at all, much like I'm not really into real life board games. Same thing with digital card games and real life card games- something about them has never appealed to me.

I tend to like combat-based TBS games, or turn-based RPGS. Something about the abstraction of board and card games just doesn't do it for me. I like turn-based games that are a little flashy, and unfortunately on iOS the flashy TBS games don't perform very well.

Just my opinion.

Enco

You can't miss what you don't have. iOS gets way more and better games than Android on a regular basis. Some make it over to Android, many don't.
This is true.

iPad gaming is actually pretty neat. As long as devs don't try to put console/PC games onto the platform.

Shooter games will never be good on the iPad. But there are plenty of touch suitable games out there.

I've had a lot of fun with my iPad/iPhone.

PFD

FTL is a great iPad game. Nothing beats lying on the couch and playing it in the dark with headphones

I am getting an ipad air over a ps4, so I hope so.

Your comment has literally nothing to do with the topic of whether Ipad is a good gaming device.

I asked for a suggestion, and the poster recommended Hearthstone. I politely explained why I wasn't into that game. Calm down.

Top Bottom