• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subnautica diving into Steam Early Access later today

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
...at 6:30pm UTC, to be precise:

UWE.Strayan (NS2HD) said:

Here is some info on the game, taken from its store page:

About this game said:
SN_Steam_1_Image_6.jpg

Subnautica is an open world, underwater exploration and adventure game currently under construction at Unknown Worlds, the independent developer behind Natural Selection 2.

SubnauticaSteamImage1Version3.jpg

Descend into the depths of an alien underwater world filled with resources, creatures, wonders and threats. Craft equipment such as diving suits, tools, vehicles to explore deeper and further into the ocean, from lush coral reefs teeming with life to violent volcanoes, treacherous cave systems and beyond.

SN_Steam_1_Image_4.jpg

Submarines like the Cyclops are yours to construct, customise, and operate; featuring fully functional interiors including engine rooms, equipment storage, medical facilities, bridges, and even submersible hangars for launch and retrieval of smaller submersibles.

SN_Steam_1_Image_3.jpg

And a few pre-alpha screenshots that were released back in April:

Although it is not presently available to purchase on Steam, you can win a gift copy (yours to activate for your own account or give to a friend) by bidding in the Holiday Auction, or purchase the Special Edition via the official site for $35 to gain instant access.

Gaugin

Neo Member
aw yiss!
Ever since Drew Scanlon talked about it on the Bombcast i've been very interested. Will put on my watchlist

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
aw yiss!
Ever since Drew Scanlon talked about it on the Bombcast i've been very interested. Will put on my watchlist

I snagged a copy of the game in the auction so I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl. I wasn't expecting it to hit Early Access for quite a while yet.

Eh, I really dig the concept, but it looks too colorful and cartoony, and thus not as immersive as I'd like it to be. But it's on my sonar now, so at least that's something.

Skyzard

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4D8jY9paXk

I'm liking it but I was kinda hoping it would be a bit darker and more foggy with bright lights from interesting creatures, but from what I could find it looks like bright and shallow water level. Visibility is really clear.

Eh, I really dig the concept, but it looks too colorful and cartoony, and thus not as immersive as I'd like it to be. But it's on my sonar now, so at least that's something.

Yeah, same.

Falk

that puzzling face
My trypophobia is acting up.

Someone send help.

edit: Probably should drop a warning that if you don't know the term, Google it at your own risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4D8jY9paXk

I'm liking it but I was kinda hoping it would be a bit darker and more foggy with bright lights from interesting creatures, but from what I could find it looks like bright and shallow water level. Visibility is really clear.

Yeah, same.

I think that is just because you are in the shallow area of the game when you start. You eventually go deeper into trenches and the creatures get weirder I think.

cirrhosis

This game is so beautiful as is, and has amazing potential. I'm really excited to see how it develops.

As for concerns that the world isn't as darker the deeper you go - while it's still in development, I read on the forums that Unknown Worlds opted for a more beautiful + lush world over a blue tint (water) filtering out brighter colors. Basically pretty colors over realism. And for the type of game that it is, I'm okay with that.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just watched the GB quicklook and holy shit this looks good. Never even heard of it before that. Tempted to get it actually eve though not a big early access fan, but i could see how new items like a damn submarine can keep things fresh.

I feel they really need to add some crazy exploration themed things, like sea monsters an crazy deep trenches. Man this has potential.

Is this the latest subnautica thread?

I had NO idea this was by unknown worlds entertainment (UWE)
These are the guys who made natural selection and then natural selection 2 (which is an incredible game)

Holy shitttttt

How is subnautica?
It has to be good UWE are insanely talented.

The latest Subnautica update is pretty awesome, GAF:

http://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/habitat-update/

This is an overview video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6USpYf6Y47c

Speaking as someone that doesn't really like survival games, I'm loving this one. I should make a new thread. Very few developers are doing a better job in Early Access.

This looks awesome, is there an updated list of what's in the game now? I'd certainly be interested in picking it up if it's a bit more fleshed out.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Thanks to the steam front page advertising major patch updates i instantly remembered this. This sure has come a long way from when GB did the quicklook that got me first interested. People are making whole bases and stuff now.

New update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y88Z8KkMfI
Vortex torpedoes, electromagnetic defense, sonar terrain scans, storage compartments, custom colors and more: The Seamoth Update has been released, and is available now on Steam!

A plethora array of new modular upgrades allow the Seamoth to be configured for a wide variety of different missions.

Going cave exploring? Pack food in a storage compartment, sonar, electromagnetic defense, and an extended battery. Searching for resources in an area with lots of hostile creatures? Load torpedoes, and fit empty storage compartments to carry the loot. The choice is yours!
FarOptimisticIaerismetalmark.gif
ReasonableOccasionalChinesecrocodilelizard.gif

Plus new species and biomes
mountains_2t.jpg
skyray_1t.jpg
mountains_3t.jpg

bee

only just noticed this game from another thread, can't believe i've never heard of it especially with it coming from the natural selection people, only got one question, does this support oculus 0.7 yet? maybe in the experimental build? if so instabuy

Sephon

stumbled upon this game a few days ago when browsing rift-enabled games.
Was a bit of a hassle to set up a 0.6-0.7 switcher but it was definitely worth it to experience this game in vr.

I'm terrified and keep forgetting to breathe, but it's easily the most engrossing exploration game I've ever played.

Soule

Just purchased, I really liked the sense of adventure it posed when I looked into it.

So far my find of the Autumn sale.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Bought this today. This is one of those weird games i didnt own but was always fascinated at the new updates they keep adding. Figured id support it while in development because i like its ideas. Its also now 1 of 2 games that is steam VR enabled in my 1300 game library.

epmode

Someday, the rest of GAF will realize how goddamned awesome this game is. You don't even have to bother with any of the survival mechanics if you're not into them. Just pure exploration and building.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Someday, the rest of GAF will realize how goddamned awesome this game is. You don't even have to bother with any of the survival mechanics if you're not into them. Just pure exploration and building.

They need to add a very deep trench that you can only get to with the right equipment, and put terrifying creatures down there, including a large sea monster. Then this will be complete.

I've had my eye on this game since it was announced and was about to buy 2 copies in the sale until I figured out it was SP only. For some reason I'd thought it was a co-op game all this time. No sale for me until that's added. I want good graphics Endless Ocean with online co-op!

epmode

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of survival games yet I can spend ages screwing around in Subnautica. It's pure, unfiltered atmosphere. There are some really impressive mechanics as well.

Top Bottom