• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New RPG announced by Square Enix for iOS/Android (Arcadia no Aoki Miko)

Exentryk

UPDATE - Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f896LZ02DUo

-------

"Arcadia no Aoki Miko" or “The Blue Maiden of Arcadia”. Planned for release in winter.
More info coming Dec 25 from the looks of it.

http://arumiko.jp/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/arumiko_PR

Corresponds with the trademark SE filed recently:

[商願2014-95927]
商標:アルカディアの蒼き巫女 /
出願人:株式会社スクウェア・エニックス /
出願日:2014年11月13日 /
区分:9(業務用テレビゲーム機用ソフトウェアほか),41(技芸・スポーツ又は知識の教授ほか)

ClqqXD6.jpg

finalflame

Gold Member
Unfortunate. I know mobile is wildly popular in Japan, but I will never considering playing a serious game on my phone or a tablet.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Is this the new RPG Square was speaking of to be revealed in December? Or was that SaGa 2015?

Squire

Banned
I dig the art.

Isn't their iOS output getting pretty decent?

Unfortunate. I know mobile is wildly popular in Japan, but I will never considering playing a serious game on my phone or a tablet.

That's close-minded and honestly pretty tragic. You're knowingly cutting yourself off from some great experiences, regardless of whether SE is making them or not. There's a lot of really fantastic stuff on mobile platforms.

Don't actually mind these mobile games (not the endless FF spin-offs) , SE published some cool stuff. Chaos Rings 2 is still an amazing rpg in my books

finalflame

Gold Member
I dig the art.

That's close-minded and honestly pretty tragic. You're knowingly cutting yourself off from some great experiences, regardless of whether SE is making them or not. There's a lot of really fantastic stuff on mobile platforms.

I don't doubt that good gaming experiences can exist on mobile, but I am absolutely not in favor of companies diverting resources from larger production of games on actual dedicated hardware to focus on the quick buck that is mobile games. With that, I won't use any of my money to support that market.

I'd much rather SE develop this on a dedicated platform rather than a phone or a tablet. With or without my support, I am sure this will be a trend going forward from companies so frantically focused on cashing in on mobile (like SE). I just hope many other companies don't get this same idea. I'd much prefer my games on an actual handheld.

Exentryk

I dig the art.

That's their plan. Release lots of mobile titles, and hopefully land that mega hit. Some of their recent games like FF Record Keeper, School Girl Strikers etc, have been doing favourably.

Arion

Papers please and ftl are both on tablets...

I think a good game can happen anywhere so long as it's designed well. A lengthy jrpg can easily work on tablet or even phones if the interface is done right ie No virtual controller. Phones and tablets are more powerful than the snes so a game like earthbound or ff3 can be easily made on them. Ofcourse f2p rearing it's ugly head is always a problem so Im going to see how this pans out before judging it.

kiyoaki

Artwork looks OK. It's an orthodox (王道) RPG, so I guess that means that means it has a real story, and exploration and all? Yet it's still F2P with in-app purchases for items?

finalflame

Gold Member
Papers please and ftl are both on tablets...

I think a good game can happen anywhere so long as it's designed well. A lengthy jrpg can easily work on tablet or even phones if the interface is done right ie No virtual controller. Phones and tablets are more powerful than the snes so a game like earthbound or ff3 can be easily made on them. Ofcourse f2p rearing it's ugly head is always a problem so Im going to see how this pans out before judging it.

Fair points, both games were developed first for PC, then ported to mobile. Games made directly for mobile tend to be prone to design decisions I don't always enjoy/agree with (f2p, virtual controller, etc).

I'd much prefer it if companies focused on making games for dedicated gaming platforms first (or PC), and then, if it works out, they can bring it to mobile. That way I know a game is not being made with the limitations of mobile in mind.

CamHostage

Art looks good. Lady protags? Awesome.

Yeah, and nothing moe and/or skanky about the design either, very tasteful from the keyart... doesn't mean anything yet, but I'd be real happy if that art was a reflection of what they try to do with the game art. It hurts to have Square Enix's more interesting stuff showing up on mobile over my beloved consoles and portables (I'm not a mobile-hater, but I do like buttons,) but whatever it takes to get this company back in top form is a good thing.

Ratrat

Artwork looks OK. It's an orthodox (王道) RPG, so I guess that means that means it has a real story, and exploration and all? Yet it's still F2P with in-app purchases for items?
Thats exactly what it is.
I would rather pay for the game and do without the inapp purchases personally.

Squire

Banned
I don't doubt that good gaming experiences can exist on mobile, but I am absolutely not in favor of companies diverting resources from larger production of games on actual dedicated hardware to focus on the quick buck that is mobile games. With that, I won't use any of my money to support that market.

I'd much rather SE develop this on a dedicated platform rather than a phone or a tablet. With or without my support, I am sure this will be a trend going forward from companies so frantically focused on cashing in on mobile (like SE). I just hope many other companies don't get this same idea. I'd much prefer my games on an actual handheld.

Suit yourself. I will say though: I think you're making a huge assumption with regards to the mobile space. Not everybody is looking for "a quick buck" and not every great mobile game is made by a corporation. Most aren't, truth be told.

Personally, I think people shouldn't support business practices they don't agree with, but should support good games wherever they appear. Mobile isn't any more inherently sinister than console, if at all.

Their artists, man...
2 gud

Yeah, I need to know who drew this stuff.

Valnen

Why? JRPG's are probably one of the only genres that could theoretically work well on the platform, honestly.

finalflame

Gold Member
Suit yourself. I will say though: I think you're making a huge assumption with regards to the mobile space. Not everybody is looking for "a quick buck" and not every great mobile game is made by a corporation. Most aren't, truth be told.

Personally, I think people shouldn't support business practices they don't agree with, but should support good games wherever they appear. Mobile isn't any more inherently sinister than console, if at all.

Yeah, I need to know who drew this stuff.

Fair enough, and I am actually very open to independently developed games that make their way to mobile, due to the lower barriers to entry for new/small developers. I'll give an independently developed game on mobile a shot any time if it looks like a good game, and would gladly pay for it.

However, when I see a game making its way to mobile from a company like SE all I can think of is F2P design decisions and a game that could have (potentially) been better if it had been designed for dedicated hardware.

Why? JRPG's are probably one of the only genres that could theoretically work well on the platform, honestly.

That's true. Companies tend to design these games around F2P model with microtansactions, which to me is a nuisance in games. I just think a better game would be made if it was designed fully around dedicated hardware and without having to worry about how things like F2P or hardware limitations on mobile devices factor in.

Bebpo

Banned
Great, another $20 SE mobile game that in 2 years won't function anymore because they don't give a shit about patching it to work with newer OSs.

See: TWEWY and Chaos Rings 2 that no longer exist in functional state.

gretos

Neo Member
Dammit! Square Enix are too successful on the mobile!

The company requires shock therapy to force its hidebound executives to abandon their
preposterous opposition to launching their new franchises on consoles and handheld.

/s

Reveirg

There's a lot of fantastic stuff but playing a multi-hours RPG on a small touch device is not ideal. And S-E's long term support is really crappy, a lot of their games don't even work on iOS 8. That's just unacceptable.

Are all Android games playable on Ouya? (Or is there a better device for that with a controller?)

Ratrat

Great, another $20 SE mobile game that in 2 years won't function anymore because they don't give a shit about patching it to work with newer OSs.

See: TWEWY and Chaos Rings 2 that no longer exist in functional state.
Its f2p.

finalflame

Gold Member
Play it on an Android console or handheld.

Or they could, you know, release games on gaming platforms instead of phones and tablets.

I'm not directing any kind of dissent/attack at you, I just really don't like the idea of a future where companies start to focus time/resources on Android/iOS. These platforms are great and all for the freemium cash-ins, casual games, and F2P traps, but I'd prefer my actual games to remain on hardware designed with games in mind.

Squire

Banned
There's a lot of fantastic stuff but playing a multi-hours RPG on a small touch device is not ideal. And S-E's long term support is really crappy, a lot of their games don't even work on iOS 8. That's just unacceptable.

Are all Android games playable on Ouya? (Or is there a better device for that with a controller?)

This hasn't been an issue for years. Phones are huge now, especially Android devices. The iPhone 6+ has a bigger screen than the Vita.

You guys are the same people that bang on about Bravely Default being the hope of a generation and how Type-0 not being brought over on PSP was tantamount to homicide.

Obviously I'm exaggerating to my illustrate my point, but screen size? Gimme a break. Respect to fair criticisms, but screen size hasn't been an issue for a number of years now.

CentroXer

Banned
This hasn't been an issue for years. Phones are huge now, especially Android devices. The iPhone 6+ has a bigger screen than the Vita.

You guys are the same people that bang on about Bravely Default being the hope of a generation and how Type-0 not being brought over on PSP was tantamount to homicide.

Obviously I'm exaggerating to my illustrate my point, but screen size? Gimme a break. Respect to fair criticisms, but screen size hasn't been an issue for a number of years now.

touchscreen suck

Acidote

After Terra Battle, I admit I would be willing to sink a few hours here and there. But it would have to be a good enough game with few to none f2p mimics. I'd rather have it be a fixed price game.

Reveirg

There are plenty of other reasons I could tell you for why I don't enjoy RPGs on my iPhone (poor touch controls, lack of long-term support, f2p mechanics, SE's ugly fonts).

I actually respect S-E's mobile efforts, some of them are legit games with nice game design, art & music. I have tried playing a lot of them but I just can't stand long gaming sessions on such a device. It's a personal thing, and you're right that it's not a reason to criticize those games. Maybe it'll get better once I upgrade to the bigger iPhone 6 plus next year.

At least they started porting a couple of them on Vita. I can see that becoming a standard eventually, as hopefully technology will make it easier to port those games easily.

(And no I don't think Bravely Default is the hope of the generation. It's a solid, safe game that successfully throws back to ps1-era squaresoft. And I'll take type-0 on any console, PS4 is actually the best case scenario for me :D)

Falk

that puzzling face
My biggest concern with mobile is legacy. When stuff can't be played anymore because either OS updates break the game, or the back end for whatever business model ceases to function, a gaming experience gets lost to the ether.

We're not even talking about stuff that's a decade old. Games from last year broke.

kiyoaki

Some more random information on the game:
- the player will assume the role of a hero who is traveling the world together with 12 maidens
- the music will be composed by Mizuta Naoshi (FF11, 4 Heroes of Light, among others)

I also noticed they're giving ブレイクバトルRPG (break battle RPG?) as the game's genre. I've never heard of that and Google hasn't either, apparently. Is that a thing?

Honestly, the game doesn't look all that interesting to me. But since it's free, maybe I will give it at try.

People have different willingness to pay (in terms of time as well) for different things. Someone didn't like the motion controls so didn't bother to buy a Wii, or games that were supporting such controls. Someone might not like to play on a small screen with no buttons at all.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Some more random information on the game:
- the player will assume the role of a hero who is traveling the world together with 12 maidens
- the music will be composed by Mizuta Naoshi (FF11, 4 Heroes of Light, among others)

I also noticed they're giving ブレイクバトルRPG (break battle RPG?) as the game's genre. I've never heard of that and Google hasn't either, apparently. Is that a thing?

Honestly, the game doesn't look all that interesting to me. But since it's free, maybe I will give it at try.

The Japanese have always liked using weird words for their games. Dissidia was Dramatic Action Progression or something like that.

I hope the game turns out ok and that it gets localised. The art looks good and I'm interested in how they'll go about making a F2P orthodox RPG.

To be precise, handheld dedicated devices could easily replicate the quality of games during PS1 / PS2 era (where jRPGs were on average quite good). On the other hand, mobile have yet to prove that are able to host top-quality games in the genre, since companies have so far applied business model typical of this industry, such as microtransactions, forgettable design and low production values. So, I can understand why people are not skeptical of jRPGs on 3DS / PSV, but are of jRPGs on mobile.

Top Bottom