• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"That didn't happen." Moments in games you refuse to acknowledge.

Weiss

Banned
What inspired this topic from me was the ending of Final Fantasy 6. It's basically perfect in every way, except for one particular character epilogue where
Shadow leaves the party, sits down in a corner, and it's all but stated that he's going to let himself die there to satiate his guilt over leaving his friend, Baram, to die.

Apart from being really depressing in such a powerful ending,
FF6 is a game whose core message is about finding one's reason to live, letting go of your past and moving on to a brighter tomorrow. Shadow killing himself, moments away from his own daughter, runs completely counter to the themes of FF6, and basically states that Kefka was right; That life isn't worth living, that there is no point, and everyone and everything might as well disappear and die just to get the sick joke over with already. It's like if Locke decided to never get over Rachel, even as she pleaded with him to move on, and then decided to sit there next to her corpse and wait until he died. I don't even know what the devs were thinking including that, since it's so blatantly a slap to the incredibly hopeful and inspiring ending, where everything turns out fine because the heroes believed, because they had reasons to live and people they loved, fighting against an omnipotent monster so twisted with nihilism that he honestly couldn't find any reason in life at all, and thought the only sane answer was destroying absolutely everything until nothing was left.

So, yeah, as far as I'm concerned,
Shadow jumped on the airship, decided to renounce his identity as a ninja, and just went back to being Clyde, because he wanted to keep living for Baram's sake.
What about you? Anything you just plain could not accept happening?

dark_chris

Gold Member
Third Birthday ending
Red Dead Redemption ending
Many things in the Walking Dead
Heavy Rain twist reveal
Star Ocean 3 twist reveal

Ishida

Banned
Nothing, really. I acknowledge everything: What I like and what I don't like.

The whole notion of not acknowledging something you don't like comes to me as a silly: "Bla bla bla I can't her you", even if it actually happened.

SoulUnison

Banned
Hopefully it's only going to be touched on briefly moving forward when Sora
finds Ansem's research data stored inside of himself
, but as far as I'm concerned Kingdom Hearts RE:Coded was the excuse-iest excuse plot that's ever been conceived and the *only* even *slightly* relevant things that happened in that game were all in the last 15 minutes.

Oh, and Mei Ling's original, stereotypical, vaguely racist accent, along with a couple other MGS characters. They kept the Twin Snakes interpretations moving forward, so apparently the creators agree.

Korigama

Oh, and Mei Ling's original, stereotypical, vaguely racist accent, along with a couple other MGS characters. They kept the Twin Snakes interpretations moving forward, so apparently the creators agree.
Their excuse for that was something about not being able to use the original MGS1 recordings based on the audio quality not matching up. Something along those lines.

SoulUnison

Banned
Their excuse for that was something about not being able to use the original MGS1 recordings based on the audio quality not matching up. Something along those lines.

Yeah, but they also kept the same actors, who could have been instructed to use their original stylings on the voice work, but were specifically asked to use their Twin Snakes versions.

I'm aware of how they couldn't use the original recordings because a lot of it was recorded way below budget, some of it in people's living rooms.

MGS4.

All of it.

Yes. Most of that.

Also Portable Ops being de canon'd.

I love that game. And then the turd of MGS4 appears and suddenly Portable Ops isn't canon but I have to pay for Peace Walker that is canon ? Fuck you Kojima.

ME3 ending too. The saga stops at Anderson saying to Shepard " you did good son "

PK Gaming

7-P4-00020.jpg

There is just no fucking way this scene happened

It's impossible

Korigama

Yeah, but they also kept the same actors, who could have been instructed to use their original stylings on the voice work, but were specifically asked to use their Twin Snakes versions.

I'm aware of how they couldn't use the original recordings because a lot of it was recorded way below budget, some of it in people's living rooms.
I can understand not wanting to continue using the same direction for Mei Ling, but changing it for Naomi made no real sense. But then, a lot of things about MGS4 made no sense (and I say this as someone who didn't actually hate that game).

Ralemont

not me
I don't care to play the game so could someone explain why the endings so bad, such as the OP did.

In the original ending of Mass Effect 3

a glowing AI in the form of a child explains that Reapers are actually there to protect organics from creating synthetics that will destroy them, so Reapers turn organics into Reapers to preserve them and stop that from happening. Oh, also Shepard dies in 2/3 endings, the final choice makes very little sense, the relays are destroyed which according to the lead writer's notes leads to a galactic dark age, your ship and crew (without you) crash-land on an abandoned jungle planet and are apparently stranded, there are no epilogues, and despite the ending choice every cinematic is exactly the same except for the color of a beam, a cinematic that is only a few minutes long. Then the post-credits message asks you to buy future DLC.

I'm sure I missed stuff. The ending after the Extended Cut is much better but nobody is ever going to rinse the taste of vanilla endings out of their mouths.

zeldablue

I still consider Ocarina of Time to be the origin story of the Zelda series.

So Skyward Sword, Minish Cap and Four Swords "don't count."

SoulUnison

Banned
Those two are pretty good. Also reading the Grimoire Noir after seeing Nier's final ending and trying to erase all the stupidity from my mind after.

I never understand how SO3 ruined that game or the entire series for people when the entire point of the game and the twist is that the simulation was so advanced and individuals within it had such legitimate free will that everything that's happened up to that point *really did happen.*

The 4D beings are portrayed as callous and objectively wrong about the Eternal Sphere being "just a game."

Ralemont

not me
I never understand how SO3 ruined that game or the entire series for people when the entire point of the game and the twist is that the simulation was so advanced and individuals within it had such legitimate free will that everything that's happened up to that point *really did happen.*

The 4D beings are portrayed as callous and objectively wrong about the Eternal Sphere being "just a game."

It didn't ruin the game or the series for me. Heck, SO3 is one of my top-ten JRPGs of all-time. I just think it's a really stupid plot twist to pull in the third game of a series. It would have been better received in a stand-alone game.

I actually think SO3's plot was good prior to the twist. It was in the process of handling the Prime Directive theme that SO plots revolve around much better than SO4 ever did. The question for Fate of whether he'd give advanced technology to one side in a war (thereby guaranteeing the annihilation of the other) was I thought being explored adequately. And while the twist somewhat flips the Prime Directive theme on its head, it's just not the plot the first ~30 hours of SO3 was developing.

MechaX

The whole notion of not acknowledging something you don't like comes to me as a silly: "Bla bla bla I can't her you", even if it actually happened.

The thing is, I thought the same as you do. Like for instance, Metroid is one of my favorite gaming franchises and I can accept that Other M happened.

But then I played The Third Birthday... Jesus fuck, I can't acknowledge that shit.

People liking the music of Revengeance. Also all of Revengeaence.

I still think people saying that they like the music of that game is all a big ruse that I'm not in on. Or everyone has prepubescent-taste in music.

Top Bottom