• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Isolation's end scene... (SPOILERS)

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Just completed the game about five minutes ago. What a ride. I really, really enjoyed this game, more so than I originally thought I would. Loved so many things about it. But that ending... boy, that ending really doesn't sit well with me. It just felt so poorly implemented. It was pretty rough. There was no transition from her releasing the air lock to her floating in space. I don't think the flashing of lights on her helmet was necessary to indicate a possible sequel that was dependent on the success of this game.

They certainly could have ended it more cleverly. I mean, she was already calling for the ship's captain, and she wasn't answering, so you knew there was a problem. We just saw several aliens sabotage her outside the Sevastapol. They could have built it up so much better had Amanda just approached the main deck and found it in chaos. In any case, what I do like about the ending is that it fits Marlow's narrative of the alien always being a threat so long as it comes in contact with humans.

Overall, awesome game!

I was hoping there weren't any enemy facehuggers in this game(You end up seeing them at the end right?), only the alien...

I was disappointed.

I can't stand facehuggers, they scare the living hell out of me.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I was hoping there weren't any enemy facehuggers in this game(You end up seeing them at the end right?), only the alien...

I was disappointed.

I can't stand facehuggers, they scare the living hell out of me.

Yes, they appear in the chapter where you discover the alien nest.

Kinyou

I didn't really like how the aliens gather and just look at you while you set up the bomb. That seemed a little out of character to me. Why didn't they just jump Ripley?

Overall it felt a little rushed. Highlight for me was the whole reactor thing

Nzyme32

I was fine with the ending. I HATED the really weird way of mixing what sounded like a perfectly fitting and ominous sounding ambient track, with a really pointless Ripley quote repetition over it. Horrible, ruined what could have been a good mood to that ending that was more fitting.

Seems to me it was designed to echo alien's ending of Ripley drifting aimlessly through space. It could have been handled better (ie less abruptly) but overall I liked the concept.

Linconan

I'm fine with it.
Yes, they could've done the transition abit better. But, overall it's good.

My preference,
is that they could've kept in first person helmet view and have the dramatic scene like Alien and Aliens, where the Alien is ejected while having Amanda holding onto an emergency release lever. But eventually loosing her grip and being sucked out into space (all in FPV), then fading to black before the drifting scene.

But that's how i'll picture it in my head,lol. It's only a smaller filler scene but that's ALL it needed.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fine with it.
Yes, they could've done the transition abit better. But, overall it's good.

My preference,
is that they could've kept in first person helmet view and have the dramatic scene like Alien and Aliens, where the Alien is ejected while having Amanda holding onto an emergency release lever. But eventually loosing her grip and being sucked out into space (all in FPV), then fading to black before the drifting scene.

But that's how i'll picture it in my head,lol. It's only a smaller filler scene but that's ALL it needed.

I like imagining that type.of ending.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
The problem for me was that she suddenly decided to keep the space suit on which made no sense. Why would you explore the ship in it when earlier you always take it off?
But then after the reveal of the final alien, it makes sense why they made her wear it against logic, but it was a weak solution in my opinion.

Then, we are just left hanging in space in a short cutscene.

The ending wasn't the strong point of the game but the total ride was a thrill for me. Loved it all the way.

Am I the only one that saw what looked to be a light from another spaceship go over Ripley's visor?

Nope, that was pretty clear.

EGM1966

I was fine with the cut just not from an audio point of view that felt a little rough. I'd have preferred a hard cut to black overlaid with sound of outrush of air that fades to silence then fade in to her drifting.

The ending was a clear echo of Alien and Aliens. Ripley drifting in space. Ripley picked up while drifting in space.

It's also a clear set up for another if they decide to go there.

Linconan

I like imagining that type.of ending.

When i was playing through the game, i was always picturing how are they going to end the game.
I'm glad they did it that way,
as it felt like a nod to Alien (and Aliens), and have the Alien ejected.
Not only does it leave the viewer thinking, it also leaves the player/viewer feel an overwhelming "sense" that it is a perfect organism and cannot be killed. imo.

So drift that bitch in space!
lol

Sometimes every little detail doesn't need explanation and/or back stories etc. It just needs to be, and we, the viewer/player can fill in the blanks.
.... so we can sleep better at night. lol ;)

Denton

I was fine with the ending. I HATED the really weird way of mixing what sounded like a perfectly fitting and ominous sounding ambient track, with a really pointless Ripley quote repetition over it. Horrible, ruined what could have been a good mood to that ending that was more fitting.

Whoa. I actually liked that, added to the nostalgic melancholy feeling I got from the ending. That ambient song is effin brilliant.

Nzyme32

Whoa. I actually liked that, added to the nostalgic melancholy feeling I got from the ending. That ambient song is effin brilliant.

It felt like it was really poorly reaching, for me. I don't think it would have been so bad if the quote wasn't repeating. To clarify, I really love the ambient track IF it had that Ripley repeat stuff removed. I felt it was unnecessary and just wonky. If it was pre or post that track, it would have been great I think.

Top Bottom