• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hundreds of At-Risk Kids Given Summer Jobs, Violent Crime Arrest Plummet in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewt

This sounds like an awesome program, and I surely hope it expands and continues. "Nothing stops a bullet like a job" is an awesome quote.

A couple of years ago, the city of Chicago started a summer jobs program for teenagers attending high schools in some of the city's high-crime, low-income neighborhoods. The program was meant, of course, to connect students to work. But officials also hoped that it might curb the kinds of problems — like higher crime — that arise when there's no work to be found.

Research on the program conducted by the University of Chicago Crime Lab and just published in the journal Science suggests that these summer jobs have actually had such an effect: Students who were randomly assigned to participate in the program had 43 percent fewer violent-crime arrests over 16 months, compared to students in a control group.

That number is striking for a couple of reasons: It implies that a relatively short (and inexpensive) intervention like an eight-week summer jobs program can have a lasting effect on teenage behavior. And it lends empirical support to a popular refrain by advocates: "Nothing stops a bullet like a job."

Researcher Sara Heller conducted a randomized control trial with the program, in partnership with the city. The study included 1,634 teens at 13 high schools. They were, on average, C students, almost all of them eligible for free or reduced-price lunch. Twenty percent of the group had already been arrested, and 20 percent had already been victims of crime.

Some of the students were given part-time jobs through the program, working 25 hours a week at minimum wage ($8.25 in Illinois) with government or non-profit employers. They worked as camp counselors, office assistants, or in community gardens, among other places. Other students in the treatment group worked 15 hours a week at similar jobs, but also received 10 hours a week of "social-emotional learning" time, where they learned skills to manage their emotions or behavior that might get in the way of employment. All of the students in the program received mentors as well. The teenagers in the control group participated in neither part of the program.

Heller used Chicago Police Department data to follow what happened to all of the students in the 16 months after the program began. In the crime data, there was no difference between the students who got the counseling and those who did not, suggesting that the group working 25 hours a week may have acquired some of the same social-emotional skills on the job. There was a big difference, though, in the violent crime arrest data between the teenagers who got jobs and those who did not.

Read the full story at the Washington Post.

Rembrandt

Banned
Glad to see this initiative worked out, though I'm not surprised. They have very little opportunities inside and outside of school. I hope this encourages them to widen this program and try to do more for the impoverished communities.

Giving poor kids hope makes them less likely to throw their life away! Who knew?! This is a good argument for mandatory civil service.

Palmer_v1

Kinda brutal for the kids that got stuck in the control group. Hope it becomes more widespread if it was that effective.

kirblar

International trade also does this on a macroeconomic level as well between countries. Hopefully they can start expanding the program without getting the GOP on their backs.

TheJLC

Surprising! Not really. This should be done more regularly instead of having kids be recruited by gangs during the summer.

Valhelm

contribute something
Yes, because despite what so many people insist, the biggest initiative to crime is not violent media or "hip hop culture" but economics.

If people can make as much money legally as they can make illegally, they won't turn to crime.

Glad to see this initiative worked out, though I'm not surprised. They have very little opportunities inside and outside of school. I hope this encourages them to widen this program and try to do more for the impoverished communities.

Its definitely not surprising. Growing up, most of the people that stayed getting in trouble with the police were people who didn't have shit in the first place so they have little to nothing to lose. More cities need to take this approach.

harSon

Banned
The non-profit I work for has done this on a smaller scale, supplying at-risk 17 year olds with job skills training and on-the-job experience. San Jose, CA will likely be doing the very same thing this upcoming summer - I believe for 500 kids during this upcoming summer - and my non-profit is at the heart of it. It's really good stuff, and more of it needs to be done.

Sulik2

Big surprise, poverty leads to crime. Now if only we could get a minimum income in the USA for everyone and see what would happen.

Minus_Me

Proud to say that my dad used to have an initiative like this at his restaurant chain. It was amazing to see what some kids would become after being given responsibility.

terrisus

f07d9AW.jpg

They say that idle hands are the devil's playground.

Who would have though that if we gave those idle hands something worthwhile to do, that they would longer be available for nefarious deeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom