• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 5% of Monument Valley Android Installs are Paid, 40% on iOS; Free Copies Not Inc

HowZatOZ

Banned
I found this incredibly interesting, and definitely speaks volumes as to the piracy levels on Android and iOS mobile devices. The fact that only 5% of Monument Valley's installs were actually legitimate sales is sickening to someone who interacts with a lot of indie devs, and with a lot of people calling companies to move onto mobile I can see this kind of data definitely proving otherwise.
Tweets by developer Ustwo have drawn attention to the low rate of paid installs for its popular title Monument Valley on Android and iOS devices.

ustwogames
‏@ustwogames
Interesting fact: Only 5% of Monument Valley installs on Android are paid for. 40% on iOS. There’s a sneak peak of data!

ustwogames
‏@ustwogames
Android statistics don’t include Amazon Store data by the way. So 95% piracy rate isn’t affected by the free day we did.

The tweeter then went on to clarify that it was mistaken in saying that 95 per cent was entirely pirated installs, and that a portion were legitimate unpaid installs.

More at the link. Pirate me if old.

Ape

Banned
theunderdog.png

Well, it's stupid easy to pirate on Android. Just download utorrent, hit up Pirate Bay (or IsoHunt now I guess) and get the apk. On iOS there are some actual hoops to jump through. Super shitty regardless.

Kriken

I wonder whether or not "free app" are included or not (probably not) for paid download. I got the game when Amazon gave it away on their app store.

That aside, 5% is depressing

I got mine on amazon with that free coin promotion they were running last year.

But I thought android cut down a lot and made it hard to pirate for most users. Like in Android 4.0 or something. Checking for a signature or something.

I remember it was as easy as copying an .apk file back in 08-09.

So since I downloaded it through the amazon app and it sideloads those apps wouldn't I be counted that way?

RM8

Android is a good example of how piracy can indeed affect sales, which some people claim it's false :/

I am part of the 95%, but only because I got it free from the amazon store a month ago.

Really sucks if piracy in mobiles is that bad though.

Busaiku

I know I got it for free through Amazon.
Wouldn't have considered it otherwise.

Not to knock the game or anything, this applies to any app.

demolitio

Gotta remember it was also free for a day on the Amazon App Store as well, but yea...Piracy is bad on Android as we all know by now.

maxcriden

Whoa, only 5% and 40%? The game's not F2P, though, right? That many people pirate? Wow. I mean, I bought the game and I thought it was buy-only.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
40% on iOS? That's better than Android (obviously) but still pretty bad overall.

However the game is pretty expensive. 3€? What?! How greedy!

My girlfriend bought it day one and I did so as well shortly after because it seemed mildly interesting. Not sure why anyone would bother pirating something so inexpensive.

Seanspeed

Banned
The game has gone on sale for free a couple times, hasn't it? That could account for a fair chunk of this percentage.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I wonder whether or not "free app" are included or not (probably not) for paid download. I got the game when Amazon gave it away on their app store.

That aside, 5% is depressing

Yeah it seems the 95% was later clarified as including those given the game for free through Amazon and other avenues. Still doesn't shake off that ridiculously low 5% paid sales. As I said in the OP, this is why some of the bigger devs aren't as eager to go mobile with their paid apps, they know piracy is so rampant especially on Android.

Vandole

Is there a number for total units sold on each OS? That would make a very interesting point towards piracy affecting sales.

Iksenpets

Banned
Wow. 5% on Android is shocking, but I'm actually more surprised that even Apple, about as closed a system as you could hope for, can only get that number up to 40%.

Draper

I feel like if you have the knowledge and will to pirate, then you are probably old enough to know that this kind of shit destroys the industry that you're enjoying. It's perplexing to me.

Top Bottom