• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX Attempting 1st Stage Landing After Rocket Launch (AKA Crazy Space Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
autonomous_spaceport_drone_ship.jpg

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/spac...ed-rocket-landing-follow-along-online-n280031

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — For the first time, the SpaceX commercial rocket company will try to bring a rocket back for a soft landing after sending its payload toward orbit — and you can keep track of the effort online.

The attempt will come in the minutes after SpaceX's scheduled launch of a two-stage Falcon 9 rocket, topped by a Dragon capsule that's loaded with 5,200 pounds (2,350 kilograms) of supplies, equipment and experiments for the International Space Station. Liftoff from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station is set for 6:20 a.m. ET Tuesday, with a 70 percent chance of acceptable weather.

Dragon's flight is SpaceX's fifth cargo resupply mission under the terms of a $1.6 billion contract with NASA, which is aimed at fill the gap left by the retirement of the space station fleet in 2011.

If the Falcon 9 launches on Tuesday, the Dragon should link up with the space station on Thursday. If Tuesday's launch attempt has to be scrubbed, due to weather or technical concerns, the next opportunity for liftoff comes on Friday.

Tuesday's launch had to be delayed from Dec. 16 due to a problem with a static-fire test on the launch pad. That full-duration test was successfully completed a week before Christmas.

As long as the rocket gets SpaceX's Dragon into the proper orbit for its hookup, Tuesday's launch will be judged a success from NASA's point of view. But SpaceX and its billionaire founder, Elon Musk, are hoping for something more: the success of a maneuver that could make spaceflight far more affordable in the future.

The new twist comes after the Falcon 9's first stage finishes its main job. Three minutes after launch, the second stage is due to separate and fire up its own rocket engine to continue the trip. Then the first stage is slated to relight its rocket engines and go through a complex series of maneuvers to put itself safely down on a 300-foot-long, 170-foot-wide (91-by-52-meter) "autonomous spaceport drone ship" in the Atlantic Ocean.

"Nobody has ever tried that, to our knowledge," Hans Koenigsmann, SpaceX's vice president of mission assurance, told reporters during a Monday briefing at NASA's Kennedy Space Center.

SpaceX has tested aspects of the maneuver before, resulting in a soft splashdowns, but this will be the first time the company tries setting the rocket stage down on a platform for retrieval and return to port. The maneuver will be facilitated by precision firing of the Falcon 9's nine first-stage engines, as well as contributions from four hypersonic stabilizing fins and landing legs.

The drone ship is equipped with underwater thrusters to compensate for the pitch and roll of the sea; nevertheless, SpaceX acknowledges that the maneuver won't be a slam-dunk. Maybe it'll just be a slam. Or a dunk.

"The odds of success are not great — perhaps 50 percent at best," SpaceX said in a statement explaining the effort. "However, this test represents the first in a series of similar tests that will ultimately deliver a fully reusable Falcon 9 first stage."

Eventually, SpaceX wants all of its Falcon rockets to fly themselves back to safety — at first at sea, and then on land. Musk has said this kind of rocket reusability is an essential part of his plan to reduce the cost of launching payloads to 1 percent of what it is today. Over the longer term, he envisions making spaceflight cheap enough to allow for the colonization of Mars, thus making humanity "a multiplanet species."

The buildup to the launch begins on Monday night, when Musk takes questions during a Reddit "Ask Me Anything" forum at 9 p.m. ET. Live NASA video coverage of the countdown begins at 5 a.m. ET Tuesday, and SpaceX will provide streaming video starting at 6 a.m. ET. The landing attempt is expected to come about 10 minutes after the 6:20 a.m. launch.

SpaceX's Koenigsmann said it may not be immediately clear whether the maneuver has succeeded or failed. It all depends on data connectivity from the uncrewed drone ship, which is stationed a couple of hundred miles off the Florida coast.

"Will we know the results live? Probably not. There will be some delays," Koenigsmann said.

Video from the descent and landing may be available within a couple of hours, or a day or two, depending on logistics. Koenigsmann said that if the landing is successful, the rocket would be secured to the drone ship's deck and returned to port at Jacksonville, Florida, for inspection.

Meanwhile, the Dragon capsule is slated to spend about four weeks hooked up to the station, during which it will be unloaded and repacked with supplies and trash for return to Earth. The mission plan then calls for the Dragon to be released and sent down for splashdown and recovery from the Pacific Ocean.

141217-launchprofile_f4fcb1ed474952c078a75c07a96cae6f.nbcnews-ux-760-700.jpg

If this sounds familiar, it's because SpaceX has tested the landing method before, but never in conjunction with a full scale mission, or to land it on a robotic platform in the ocean.

Here's a test video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxKWh7kLDzw

tbm24

Really hope they nail the landing. Also hoping there's a live stream of the loop, that will be fun to see.

Rooting for them. Love seeing stuff like this, and I feel special to be alive to potentially witness a first for rocket science. Very excited.

Phoenix

Very ambitious of them. Hope it goes well.

That's an understatement. Its not the first time that these systems have ever been used. NASA has landed stuff in this manner before (not with the drone ship and so forth). But it would certainly be the first time that all of these systems and components have been put together into a single system.

jotun?

Here's the latest test video (October 2013) for Grasshopper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZDkItO-0a4

This is the most recent one that I know of, which includes the grid fins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgLBIdVg3EM

Other than this one, of course...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnqjnxfjgUk

Actual F9 first stage falling from the sky and landing in the ocean after a real launch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIlu7szab5I

Ocean landing from onboard the rocket, unfortunately the lens ices up so you can't see a whole lot, but it's still cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQnR5fhCXkQ

NASA-recorded thermal imaging of the F9 first stage re-entering and firing its engines at supersonic speed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UFjK_CFKgA

mdphilli

No arguing the awesomeness of this, and I'm clearly missing the point, but how does this lead to cheaper missions overall compared to using a parachute or something that has been done before?

No arguing the awesomeness of this, and I'm clearly missing the point, but how does this lead to cheaper missions overall compared to using a parachute or something that has been done before?

I don't know if this current technology will be cheaper, but I would imagine that the end-goal is something 100% reusable. This is a pretty good first step towards having something at least partially reusable, so it's more of a long-term thing, I would imagine.

KHarvey16

I don't know if this current technology will be cheaper, but I would imagine that the end-goal is something 100% reusable. This is a pretty good first step towards having something at least partially reusable, so it's more of a long-term thing, I would imagine.

The goal is to make it cost 1% of what it does currently.

The rockets we use today to get things into orbit are expendable, meaning nothing is reused.

jotun?

The closest thing to this that's been done before is recovering the solid boosters from the space shuttle. Interestingly, the shuttle SRBs are about the same size as a Falcon 9 first stage. They landed in the ocean via parachute.

There are some problems with that:
- The parachutes required for something of that size are enormous (the largest ever used)
- The parachutes and the systems that deploy them are not light. I don't know exactly how it compares to the amount of extra fuel required for a propulsive landing, but it's not insignificant.
- Replacing/repacking a huge complex parachute system is probably more expensive than spending a little bit more fuel.
- Even using the largest parachutes ever, the SRBs hit the water at about 50mph. Those essentially just had a big simple nozzle at the end to take the hit, but a Falcon 9 has a complex set of 9 engines and all their plumbing down there, which would be easily damaged. This impact speed also means it's impractical to parachute a booster down onto solid ground.
- Seawater fucks up a lot of stuff, makes the whole refurbishing process take longer and cost more.
- I believe SpaceX already tried using parachutes a long time ago without success.

Propulsive landings have a lot of advantages:
- When done successfully, the craft suffers almost no damage. No hard impacts, no corrosive seawater. It basically cuts the refurbishment process down to its absolute minimum. They'll still have to inspect and test everything that may have been damaged or worn out during the launch anyway, but there's not really much extra work caused by the landing itself.
- Being able to land a booster back where you need it to be is a lot more convenient than hauling it back from out in the ocean. For these tests they'll be landing on a barge, but eventually they plan to fly them back to ground, where they can land somewhere near the launch site for rapid reusability.
- Landing takes a lot less fuel than people tend to think. A common misconception is that the rocket will be spending half of its fuel to land, but that's very far from true. When launching, the rocket has to constantly fight against both drag and gravity. When landing, gravity does almost all the work of bringing it back down, and drag actually does most of the work in slowing it down to terminal velocity (which is much, much slower than orbital velocity). All the rocket has to spend fuel on the initial targeting, course adjustments and the final landing burn.

Pikelet

The closest thing to this that's been done before is recovering the solid boosters from the space shuttle. Interestingly, the shuttle SRBs are about the same size as a Falcon 9 first stage. They landed in the ocean via parachute.

There are some problems with that:
- The parachutes required for something of that size are enormous (the largest ever used)
- The parachutes and the systems that deploy them are not light. I don't know exactly how it compares to the amount of extra fuel required for a propulsive landing, but it's not insignificant.
- Replacing/repacking a huge complex parachute system is probably more expensive than spending a little bit more fuel.
- Even using the largest parachutes ever, the SRBs hit the water at about 50mph. Those essentially just had a big simple nozzle at the end to take the hit, but a Falcon 9 has a complex set of 9 engines and all their plumbing down there, which would be easily damaged. This impact speed also means it's impractical to parachute a booster down onto solid ground.
- Seawater fucks up a lot of stuff, makes the whole refurbishing process take longer and cost more.
- I believe SpaceX already tried using parachutes a long time ago without success.

Propulsive landings have a lot of advantages:
- When done successfully, the craft suffers almost no damage. No hard impacts, no corrosive seawater. It basically cuts the refurbishment process down to its absolute minimum. They'll still have to inspect and test everything that may have been damaged or worn out during the launch anyway, but there's not really much extra work caused by the landing itself.
- Being able to land a booster back where you need it to be is a lot more convenient than hauling it back from out in the ocean. For these tests they'll be landing on a barge, but eventually they plan to fly them back to ground, where they can land somewhere near the launch site for rapid reusability.
- Landing takes a lot less fuel than people tend to think. A common misconception is that the rocket will be spending half of its fuel to land, but that's very far from true. When launching, the rocket has to constantly fight against both drag and gravity. When landing, gravity does almost all the work of bringing it back down, and drag actually does most of the work in slowing it down to terminal velocity (which is much, much slower than orbital velocity). All the rocket has to spend fuel on the initial targeting, course adjustments and the final landing burn.

You mean those cheapo, super-light, incredibly-effective Kerbal Space Program parachutes don't actually exist? Crap!

Brilliant post though, very informative.

wmlk

This is the most recent one that I know of, which includes the grid fins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgLBIdVg3EM

Other than this one, of course...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnqjnxfjgUk

Actual F9 first stage falling from the sky and landing in the ocean after a real launch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIlu7szab5I

Ocean landing from onboard the rocket, unfortunately the lens ices up so you can't see a whole lot, but it's still cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQnR5fhCXkQ

NASA-recorded thermal imaging of the F9 first stage re-entering and firing its engines at supersonic speed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UFjK_CFKgA

Right, forgot that the F9 is a new revision. I had seen these before but I mistakenly searched for the Grasshopper instead.

This is the magic event that needs to happen to make legit space exploration real and not fiction.

Hopefully they can pull it off.

PSA: We won't see the landing live, or a video immediately.
It takes time to send videos back. So a few hours up to a day or two.

If we can get curiosity on Mars with that crazy system then there is hope for a successful first try with this. Hope it works as planned.

Xe4

Banned
Come on SpaceX! I want this to succeed so bad. NASA is probably gonna be the ones going to mars first (just my guess) but SpaceX is what is going to make commercial space travel possible. Exciting time to be alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom