• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX will try to launch most powerful rocket ever Monday

Spyxos

Gold Member
a-prototype-of-starshi.jpg

SpaceX plans to carry out its first test flight on Monday of Starship, the most powerful rocket ever built, designed to send astronauts to the Moon and eventually beyond.

The launch is scheduled to take place at 7:00 am (1200 GMT) from the sprawling Texas base of the private space company owned by billionaire Elon Musk.

Fallback times are scheduled later in the week if Monday's attempt is postponed.
The US space agency NASA has picked the Starship capsule to ferry its astronauts to the Moon as part of the Artemis III mission, set for late 2025 at the earliest.

Starship consists of a reusable capsule that carries crew and cargo and the first-stage Super Heavy booster rocket.
The 164-foot (50-meter) tall Starship spacecraft sits atop the 230-foot tall Super Heavy rocket.
SpaceX conducted a successful test-firing of the 33 Raptor engines on the first-stage booster of Starship in February.

The Super Heavy booster was anchored to the ground during the test-firing, called a static fire, to prevent it from lifting off.

The rocket has never flown in its full configuration, powered by the first stage.

"Success maybe, excitement guaranteed!" Musk tweeted late Friday.

NASA will take astronauts up to lunar orbit itself in November 2024 using its own heavy rocket called the Space Launch System (SLS), which has been in development for more than a decade.
Starship is both bigger and more powerful than SLS.

It generates 17 million pounds of thrust, more than double that of the Saturn V rockets used to send Apollo astronauts to the Moon.

SpaceX foresees eventually putting a Starship into orbit, and then refueling it with another Starship so it can continue on a journey to Mars or beyond.
The idea of a reusable launcher, Musk's broad strategy, is to reduce the price. Each Starship flight could eventually cost "less than $10 million," he said early last year.

[SpaceX] Teams are working towards Thursday, April 20 for the first flight test of a fully integrated Starship and Super Heavy rocket. The 62 minute launch window opens at 8:28 a.m. CT and close at 9:30 a.m. CT.

Launch cancelled today due to an unexpected tank issue.

Livestream:

I am there for:
Boom Explosion GIF

Last edited:

RaptorGTA

So exciting!!! We could see all of SpaceX's launch vehicles run this week. Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy and Starship. What a time to be alive!

Understand that this thing is probably going to crash on the suicide dive landing maneuver. They have managed to land one or two of the prototypes after a few ten thousand foot hops, but most have gone the way of the active experiment.

If the first orbital test makes it back to the ground safely them OMFG we're further along than I thought, but I don't want anyone discouraged if it fucks up the landing. It took years before the Falcons could stick a landing with any sort of regularity, and Starship is far more complex.

I hope it does happen tomorrow I'm so excited! I've been watching Falcon Heavy and SLS videos all night. Starship is going to make some fucking noise when it's lit up. I would love to be there to see it in person.

Part of me also hopes it explodes (once it clears the launch site though) because if that thing explodes it would be some kaboom! Of course I really hope it's a success and everything goes to plan.
Understand that this thing is probably going to crash on the suicide dive landing maneuver. They have managed to land one or two of the prototypes after a few ten thousand foot hops, but most have gone the way of the active experiment.

If the first orbital test makes it back to the ground safely them OMFG we're further along than I thought, but I don't want anyone discouraged if it fucks up the landing. It took years before the Falcons could stick a landing with any sort of regularity, and Starship is far more complex.
As I understand it they aren't going to land it. Starship is going straight into the water but with the booster they will try simulate a landing (to prepare getting caught by the chopsticks) but it will be over water and once it's "landed" it'll tip over into the water.

The booster has a lot of boom juice and they don't want it to explode on the launch site. Best to practice that stuff out on the water first until they get more data and feel confident.

edit:

xbmWoj1.jpg

Last edited:

Ironbunny

When it flies its going to be spectacular! Around 400 feet (120m) of flying metal and rockets. If they succeed in this there will be lots of flights in rapid pace. Our generations Apollo moment soon.

Is it true that the static fire was only at 50% power with 1 or 2 engines disabled? If that's true holy shit we're in for a treat to see this thing go full throttle!

I'm so excited but I know there is the possibility it'll be called off until a later date. Pleease everything go to plan! fingers and toes crossed.
Hoping for success or a huge, huge, huge explosion. It's a win-win.
I read that if it were to explode it'd be almost as powerful as the Hiroshima nuclear bomb. I don't know if that's accurate but if it does explode it will be some sight.

Also, seen people mention to watch seisometers because if this takes off it's gonna be felt for thousands of miles.

lol i might be making a fool of myself by saying that but that's what i read and as i said i don't know if it's accurate.

the hiroshima bomb was 15kt and i read that if starship exploded it'd be about 13kt.

i should probably shut up cause i dont really know what i'm talking about :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ironbunny

lol i might be making a fool of myself by saying that but that's what i read and as i said i don't know if it's accurate.

the hiroshima bomb was 15kt and i read that if starship exploded it'd be about 13kt.

i should probably shut up cause i dont really know what i'm talking about :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Well chatgpt agrees with you :)

"When you compare the explosive force of Space X Starship (if it exploded on lauch) how would that force compare to detonation of atomic bomb in Hiroshima Japan during World War 2?"

"It is difficult to make an accurate guess about the explosive force of a hypothetical explosion of a fully fueled Space Starship without more information. However, given that the Space Starship is expected to carry a significant amount of fuel and is designed to achieve orbital velocity, it is likely that the explosive force would be greater than the detonation of the atomic bomb in Hiroshima, which had an explosive yield of 15 kilotons of TNT. It is important to note, however, that this is just a guess and not based on any specific information about the conditions of a hypothetical explosion."

Last edited:
Well chatgpt agrees with you :)

"When you compare the explosive force of Space X Starship (if it exploded on lauch) how would that force compare to detonation of atomic bomb in Hiroshima Japan during World War 2?"

"It is difficult to make an accurate guess about the explosive force of a hypothetical explosion of a fully fueled Space Starship without more information. However, given that the Space Starship is expected to carry a significant amount of fuel and is designed to achieve orbital velocity, it is likely that the explosive force would be greater than the detonation of the atomic bomb in Hiroshima, which had an explosive yield of 15 kilotons of TNT. It is important to note, however, that this is just a guess and not based on any specific information about the conditions of a hypothetical explosion."
yey an AI agrees with me. i didn't think to ask it lol i've only started using chatgpt.

Spaceman292

Banned
Is it true that the static fire was only at 50% power with 1 or 2 engines disabled? If that's true holy shit we're in for a treat to see this thing go full throttle!

I'm so excited but I know there is the possibility it'll be called off until a later date. Pleease everything go to plan! fingers and toes crossed.

I read that if it were to explode it'd be almost as powerful as the Hiroshima nuclear bomb. I don't know if that's accurate but if it does explode it will be some sight.

Also, seen people mention to watch seisometers because if this takes off it's gonna be felt for thousands of miles.
radical

another stupid question....

the booster is landing in the gulf of mexico and starship is going to hawaii. but what way is starship going? is going east towards europe/africa and round to the pacific or is it going to just fly over mexico?

it's going the long way around.

rad duude! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

sorry

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I was just thinking the other day that if we can keep AI from destroying humanity.. it could be used to greatly advance technology at a very fast rate. Even more so for space travel.

I was just thinking the other day that if we can keep AI from destroying humanity.. it could be used to greatly advance technology at a very fast rate. Even more so for space travel.
AI will definitely do that for so many industries but yeah let's hope it doesn't get out of control and destroy us :messenger_tears_of_joy: If we can keep it under control then it will significantly boost humanity in many different ways from space travel, healthcare, agriculture. it could be a solution towards fighting climate change too. there are so many benefits to AI if it's done right. AI will be like how the industrial revolution and transistor changed the world. Maybe even bigger.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
AI will definitely do that for so many industries but yeah let's hope it doesn't get out of control and destroy us :messenger_tears_of_joy: If we can keep it under control then it will significantly boost humanity in many different ways from space travel, healthcare, agriculture. it could be a solution towards fighting climate change too. there are so many benefits to AI if it's done right. AI will be like how the industrial revolution and transistor changed the world. Maybe even bigger.
At the same time people will get dumber though as they will no longer need to learn any meaningful skills. I mean it’s already happening without it just living in an age of convenience. Lol 😢

But yeah AI will definitely be able to solve problems at a rate humans could never do.

At the same time people will get dumber though as they will no longer need to learn any meaningful skills. I mean it’s already happening without it just living in an age of convenience. Lol 😢

But yeah AI will definitely be able to solve problems at a rate humans could never do.
Definitely. As I said above I just started using ChatGPT and i kinda hate asking an AI to do something because I know I should learn things on my work and be able to work problems out. ChatGPT can write essays and pass exams. It can write books, songs, and poetry. Stable Diffusion is already producing "artwork" that that is just as good as art produced by humans. You don't really need to learn how to draw anymore because you can just write a prompt and it'll create the art. You don't even need to think of a prompt because you can just ask ChatGPT to do it. Humans won't need to think as much and that sucks because we already don't think enough for ourselves since the rise of the internet and social media.

Last edited:

k_trout

watching these things land blows my mind.
i used to read Stephen Baxter books, and Musk reminds me of the character Reid Malenfant

i wonder what Tim is thinking watching this. Imagine knowing that you're going to be sitting on top of that rocket and going to the moon!

Top Bottom