• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Nier

Wow, someone has to explain to me, what's wrong with this game, exactly? Not only critically panned, but even by people clamoring for this title's recognition, you usually read stuff about how the gameplay merely is a hindrance that has to be tolerated. Yet, as I'm probably halfway through the first playthrough, I gotta say it's actually pretty good. In fact, the gameplay might just be remarkable. At first, I took some time off Nier, after the somewhat slow intro, but now I went back to it and was hooked. Not only does it all of these different gameplay styles, but all of them are decent at the very least. Many critically acclaimed titles completely fail at integrating experimental stages or have sections negatively burned into memories for shaking up the core gameplay, but that's honestly not the case in Nier. I guess some smaller enemies eat too much damage, but the bosses are awesome. It's only really unpolished in graphics (holy hell, the bloom), plus maybe menus and such. From a game with a below 70 on MC you'd also expect wonky controls or something, but they also are very good. Even during platforming, which isn't really expected from titles that aren't pure platformers to begin with. The fact that the side content in particular is a framework of fetch quests might be a problem, but I never really had to delve into that so far
It's really fun and I certainly wouldn't have continued only for the (obviously great) music and story. In fact, the latter hasn't even taken off yet, after several hours, outside of Weiss being pimpin'.

wmlk

I also actually thought that the gameplay was extremely fun barring some issues with frame drops sometimes. The Barren Temple (dungeon in the Desert) is when it all clicked with me.

The trifecta of Facade, The Barren Temple, and the boss music there firmly placed the game among my favourites.

Let's be real, there's nothing special about the gameplay. It's tolerable enough so that it doesn't detract from the main draws (narrative, soundtrack, environment)

Lothar

Banned
The graphics are lousy and this is 50% of what reviewers seem to look for in a game. Gameplay was okay (I know I had a lot more fun with Nier's battles than Xenoblade's), but not the game's strong suit. I doubt most reviewers paid attention to the story or played Nier more than a few hours.

Ferrio

Banned
People only really like it for the story. I thought it was a mess through and through (story included).

Worst part is you gotta play the game several times + some book that didn't get translated if you even want to know the whole story.

Also the music as good as it is really wears out it's welcome fast.

I also actually thought that the gameplay was extremely fun barring some issues with frame drops sometimes. The Barren Temple (dungeon in the Desert) is when it all clicked with me.

That was pretty great. If the gameplay was as bad as people say, that dungeon would have been infuriating. But really, it's just a very competent videogame (with too little budget, I guess).

welp, some of that later backtracking sure wasn't necessary if they expect multiple playthroughs from you anyway. But there's only two empty spots in the boss gallery left, so I guess they at least don't stretch this for too long.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I wish they would hurry up and release this digitally or even better - on the PC. I want to play it, but I can't find it used anywhere.

Hastati

EDIT: Wait, I think I was port-begging? Anyway, glad you have played it, NIER IS A GREAT GAME. We need more games like it. Hell, I even want bullet shooter mechanics thrown into other genres for shits and giggles. The only thing that would have made cliff racers better in Morrowind is if they shot an endless stream of fireballs at you in various recognizable and remarkably annoying patterns.

I thought it was just an all-around good game and it totally surprised me when I played it. I hear complaints about the gameplay but I thought it was quite fun. Not great, but certainly an interesting and enjoyable combat system.

Wendler

Banned
The combat is repetitive as fuck, that's the problem. The puzzle element stuff is cool, but there are way to many basic combat encounters in contrast to consider the overall gameplay anything but fun. The story is also not as good as people make it out to be, especially as almost all the interesting plot points are not even explained or mentioned in the game itself and you have to read them up on the freaking internet.

Great music, characters and writing, though.

I never had much problem with the gameplay in this game. It was certainly better than Drakengard 3's 10 FPS combat.
The story is also not as good as people make it out to be, especially as the interesting plot points are not even explained or mentioned in the game itself.
Eh, if you play through all the routes most everything is made pretty explicit.

GHG

Gold Member
The game was amazing. For the first 30 minutes I was like WTF am I playing and then it clicked. Never finished the game though unfortunately, got 3/4 of the way through and then got distracted with life and took a few months off from gaming but never returned.

If they re release this in HD or do a PC release I will play it again and finish it.

That OST as well... So so good.

Worst part is you gotta play the game several times + some book that didn't get translated if you even want to know the whole story.

To be fair you don't play the whole game again to get the additional endings and keeping the first time vague and then adding in additional point of views works well imo. But I'm biased as I loved the game from start to finish.

Arizato

Ohoho, you are in for a treat man. The game just gets better after the first ending. I wish I was in your shoes right now. One of the few games I wish I could forget about and replay again.

As mentioned above you don't need to replay the whole game and after the first ending and onwards the other playthroughs go by really fast, especially if you get the Phoenix Spear.

About the book: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...Wjao99AGi0YuWShTvA-tA/mobilebasic?viewopt=127

pixxxelz

Make sure you at least play ending B op, C and D can be youtube'd if you don't feel like collecting the weapons

The combat is repetitive as fuck, that's the problem.

I think many other RPGs are way more repetitive. Real time combat, with jumping and different magic abilities (with different inputs) allow for diverse battles, especially when it comes to bosses. The mechanic of absorbing magic is also pretty cool. Then there's also all the other stuff. Someone mentioned Xenoblade, which is a good example, since it has a groundwork of similar fetch quests, but all you do in that game is fighting samey battles and despite huge maps, you'll never really discover anything else. In Nier you jump from Zelda-esque bosses, to platforming, shooting and even
Visual Novel
, yet none of it is truly broken or anything.

AwShucks

It's like Spec Ops The Line. It's not an amazing game as far as gameplay goes, but it's good enough to get you through the game to enjoy the story

it's a lot of fun, the hardest difficulty was an overbearing challenge for me....but as soon as I knocked it down I enjoyed the game immensely. If I didn't get rid of my ps3, a second playthrough would be done. Still pissed I didn't finish that second playthrough.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The game is amazing on 360....i don't know if its worse framerate wise on PS3, but i've had pretty good performance on my 360 copy since ive had it.

Also...the gameplay ive always thought was fun....yeah its not super nuanced, but it is enjoyable, and its enough for me to pass the time while enjoying the story, characters, music and scenarios...

Voliko

I'm not sure why most pan the gameplay. Zooming around and slicing the shit out of enemies with a spear never got old, and the gameplay isn't even the main attraction here. Compared to the the AAA games it was fine. Not much depth to the combat, but at least it wasn't a burden. I thought it was fun. Plus you already mentioned all of the other gameplay elements that were done pretty well. I think it's a great package overall.

Finding an opening, charging up a giant charge shot and nailing a boss with it was super satisfying. The boss fights were great.

People only really like it for the story. [...]

ummm-no.gif

easily one of the best soundtracks of the previous generation. i still listen to it regularly. the sound design in the game also has a lot of great moments, like Devola singing near the fountain in the village.

not sure why people rag on the gameplay either. it's rote at worst, competent and reasonably fun at best.

Baust

One of my favourite games from last generation. Loved the world in the game. Lots of unique places in it. Music is one of the best and story is amazing. Great experience <3

Castef

Banned
Let's be real, there's nothing special about the gameplay. It's tolerable enough so that it doesn't detract from the main draws (narrative, soundtrack, environment)

Basically this. The way you aim attacks is awful.

Reviews got it right.

I really thought Neir was severely overatted. The music was some of the best of the gen and the boss battles were tight. Also, dug the story too.

Gameplay and bosses are great but it's those with the soundtrack that make the game amazing. Just make sure you play new game plus because you get tons more story.

Maxathon

Neo Member
easily one of the best soundtracks of the previous generation. i still listen to it regularly. the sound design in the game also has a lot of great moments, like Devola singing near the fountain in the village.

Totally. I also listen to this soundtrack a lot, and I'm not the kind of person who usually buys or listens to soundtracks/scores.

It's special. Transcendent.

Jhoan

I've been watching my brother play through the game on his PS3. Visually it's about on par with Deadly Premonition but the combat and dungeons look decent and the music is pretty great even if it does get a bit old to listen to after a while. I think the fact that the soundtrack has vocals is pretty refreshing.

He seems to like it a lot but hates the fact that getting weapon upgrade items/items for quests in general is a massive pain in the ass. The only reason he hasn't progressed through the story is because he's trying to collect 5 black pearls. Even though I read the spoilers for everything that happens, I might play it myself someday.

I really thought Neir was severely Underated. The music was some of the best of the gen and the boss battles were tight. Also, dug the story too.

It's a yoko taro game. It doesn't start getting really good till after you get the first ending, but most reviewers just stop after they get the first ending.

Hence, the bad reviews for Drakengard 1,3 and Nier even though they're not bad at all.

That junk heap B-game...

nZent5O.gif

He seems to like it a lot but hates the fact that getting weapon upgrade items/items for quests in general is a massive pain in the ass. The only reason he hasn't progressed through the story is because he's trying to collect 5 black pearls.

You really don't need to get any of that.

Taruranto

Yeah, I never too much issues with Nier gameplay. The second part is not good as the fist (gameplay wise), but I really liked how the game kept spicing things up. Diablo section! Resident Evil! Zelda!

Much, MUCH better than Drakengard, hard to believe they are the same developers.

People only really like it for the story.

5861-nope.gif

I really get annoyed by this "I didn't like the gameplay so obviously nobody else did, either" attitude. Same thing happens all the time with The Last of Us.

I had a blast with Nier's gameplay. Sure, there's not a lot to it most of the time, but it has some really creative ideas and never once did it bore me.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
The gameplay is awesome, it is mixture of bullet hell shooter and action games. The weapon collecting though....

Mephala

If nothing else. It was super exciting to see a boss pulling off some bullet hell shenanigans in an RPG. Especially when I was low on health. Few RPGs bosses even feel challenging or interesting to me any more.

Music was obviously great as mentioned and I agree that it was a great game that I thoroughly enjoyed. Sure the graphics were pretty bad, but that's not a big issue. At least not for me. Probably one of those games that won't fullt be appreciated for some time.

Obligatory dat soundtrack doe.

I loved the game, but I've acceptaccepted it's not for everyone. My roommate couldn't get into it, along with some other people I know. Essentially, while I think it's wonderful, it definitely has lots of flaws that ruin it for others.

Personally I've always found the complaint that nier plays like complete crap alittle hyperbolic, sure most of the mechanics are kind of under devolved repetitive and shallow.
The game seems to be fairly aware of this and as such your rarely doing the same thing for too long as the game is constantly throwing cure balls at you, I found it perfectly entertaining and enjoyably paced

But yeah it's kinda hard to argue that it isn't at least a little crap to play, it just does a good job distracting you in the hope you don't notice.

...fuck the maze sections though.

Mashing

People only really like it for the story. I thought it was a mess through and through (story included).

Huh, I actually read Grimoire Neir in English. It was in fact translated by someone.

Weiss

Banned
The gameplay isn't awful enough that you have to try to look past it to get to the story like in Drakengard, but it is, at best, perfectly functional and adequate, with occasional mix ups for variety.

The best things about NieR was its amazing story, complex characters, and the single best OST in gaming history.

Top Bottom