• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want a sequel to Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup

quidditch.jpg

I'm a hardcore Harry Potter fan and I remember this game coming out back when I was a teenager.

to be quite honest, I felt that it was a little better than mediocre at best, but a sequel would have a LOT of potential if done right.

It seemed like the more you played offensively, the quicker the snitch would be released whereas in the actual harry potter universe, the snitch is released at the same time the other balls are.

with that said, a sequel should be 100% split screen, so that you can play between beaters, chasers, and seekers and switch between them at any time that you want, just how quidditch teams operate in the hpu. that would make for great competitive and cooperative gameplay.

as for single player vs cpu balance issues, I'm sure they could come up with a newer and more innovative way to find out how to play as just a chaser or beater if you wanted to without having to worry about relying on the cpu to be your seeker and what not.

anyways, yeah. i'd love for there to be a sequel.

damn, and with new gen graphics? it'd be quite the difference in upgrade considering this game is 2 generations old.

hpu.jpg

Jintor

Quidditch is great and all but if we're talking game spinoffs of games-within-shows there's only one answer

img_b1.jpg

"NOW THIS IS PODRACING"

MattyG

Banned
YESSSSS. I used to love this game so much.

I wonder if we'll ever get any more Harry Potter games period. This, The Chamber of Secret and The Prisoner of Azkaban were some of my favorite PS2 games, I'd love to see more games in that universe in the same style. Seeing as how the games became Gears clones by the end of the series though, I really doubt we'd ever get another Quidditch game or adventure game in the HP universe.

This game was do dope! I still have it on my gamecube. My friends hate when I bring it out because I just destroy them every time.

I wonder if we'll ever get any more Harry Potter games period. This, The Chamber of Secret and The Prisoner of Azkaban were some of my favorite PS2 games, I'd love to see more games in that universe in the same style. Seeing as how the games became Gears clones by the end of the series though, I really doubt we'd ever get another Quidditch game or adventure game in the HP universe.

I still don't understand how Harry Potter of all games became a gear of war style cover shooter, fml

Dominator

I played the hell out of this game, and I'd welcome a sequel. Would be sick.

I could imagine a new Harry Potter game encompassing the entire series. That would be a huge game though.

fader

so many hours of frustration and excitement did this game cause for me. dammit, my gamecube nostalgia...

Cody_D165

Banned
in a dream world we'd get this sequel along with every book JRPG'd in the same fashion as the first two Game Boy Color games

unfortunately for you and I this is not a dream world

It was a fun game. Along with the first three on the PS2, GCN, and XBOX. Basically just The Legend of Zelda knockoffs with a Harry Potter skin.

NoPiece

It is a big missed opportunity to not be making more Harry Potter games. It is still a huge deal for kids. I'd put it up in the top 5, after Minecraft, Marvel, Star Wars.. I think game companies assume the franchise is dead because there aren't any new movies coming out, but the books and movies are still really popular.

SalvaPot

It is a big missed opportunity to not be making more Harry Potter games. It is still a huge deal for kids. I'd put it up in the top 5, after Minecraft, Marvel, Star Wars.. I think game companies assume the franchise is dead because there aren't any new movies coming out, but the books and movies are still really popular.

Book of Spells killed the Harry Potter videogames, I think, I remember seen it on stores and not realizing it was a Harry Potter licensed game.

That said, HOLY SHIT I LOVED QUIDDITCH WORLD CUP in the Gamecube, it was so damn tight, played the crap out of it and it still makes me mad that there was not a Mexico Team.

NoPiece

Book of Spells killed the Harry Potter videogames, I think, I remember seen it on stores and not realizing it was a Harry Potter licensed game.

That said, HOLY SHIT I LOVED QUIDDITCH WORLD CUP in the Gamecube, it was so damn tight, played the crap out of it and it still makes me mad that there was not a Mexico Team.

Huh, I was aware of Book of Spells going all the way back to the E3 demo, but had no idea it actually ties into Harry Potter. Marketing fail for sure.

tomtom94

Heh. Playing this game really made me realise just how fundamentally dumb the rules of Quidditch are. Like, what even is the point of the Quaffle anyway???

Jintor

Heh. Playing this game really made me realise just how fundamentally dumb the rules of Quidditch are. Like, what even is the point of the Quaffle anyway???

I have to imagine JK Rowling either just made it up as it went along and it was never really intended to make sense (like pretty much all of Magical society), or it was a considered thing about how goddamn stupid wizards are

JoshHood

Yes please.

Also, it's kind of mad that given how well WB usually uses their franchises in games, they've never done a Harry Potter one - we've just had the movie tie-ins and the Wonderbook titles.

Ladekabel

Got the PC-version as a christmas present when I was a kid and loved it.

It's the game that made me suck at FIFA because I always did tiki-taka in Quidditch World Cup and tried to do it in FIFA but it hust won't work.

Would love a sequel though I think it might be too late now.

In the books catching the snitch is supposed to be very difficult taking days, or even weeks. There were several games that ended with non snitch catching teams winning by points.

The other team would need to be 16 goals ahead.

I don't know... I mean It's a young adult fantasy series. How in depth does the fake sport need to be? I mean shit it's not even played in at least half of the books.

Moozo

The first games absolutely nailed it. Maybe we'll get more when they reboot the films.

elhav

I also played the shit out of this game when I was a kid. It's a pretty bad game though, and I'm not sure a sequal is such a good idea.

Though imagine it becoming a yearly sports game like Fifa or Madden. I'd buy it for sure lol

alright - I said I would bump this thread at some point to give some more in-depth details of how the game should be played out, if they were ever to make a sequel but before I even do that, it's come to my attention that Harry Potter for Kinect had a Quidditch game in it, has anybody ever played it?

Okay so let's get right into it

Splitscreen. As far as multiplayer goes, this game would utilize the hell out of splitscreen. 1 vs 1, players would be playing mostly as chasers and once we get close to one of the 3 goal posts, the player should have automated switchage to the keeper, just like in fifa. but at any point during the game if you wanted to switch to playing as a seeker or a beater, it should be allowed through the press of a button.

chasers worked pretty well in the original game, but it was pathetically easy to tackle and steal the quaffle. they should add more depth in the abilities to tackle, dive, and steal the quaffle. when playing with 2 people, this vs. should also be happening in split screen. I think that would work better rather than doing the horizontal camera view that we have in fifa, and the behind the character angle we had in the original game.

press any button to then switch to the beaters. in the original game you controlled the bludgers, not really the batsman themselves so this is where AI come in. the AI for the beaters should be more advanced so that the application of the bludger's purpose in this game is more dependant on the skill of the beater himself i.e your timing and aiming on the hitting. the interesting thing here is that in the harry potter universe, the beaters aren't really featured much in the quidditch games. so it'd be interesting to see if that would be reflected in this hypothetical game, or if this game would be used to showcase more about how quidditch would really be played out.

seekers had it really easy in the game. the more you passed the quaffle to your teammates, the more of a boost you had to reaching the seeker (at the end of the match) and even if you fell behind and let your opponent catch up, they wouldn't catch it. I tested it myself, the game pretty much held your hand with all this shit. now no more of that, they have to actually make this a challenging part of the game because this was arguably the most challenging part of the fictional sport in the fictional universe. The brooms that the players rode mattered - make them matter in the game. Make the snitch hard to catch and maybe for the Ps4 the touchpad and lightbar can be utilized in order to catch it. something.

Now as far as local multiplayer goes, if the game is multiplat which it most likely would be, it'd be limited to up to 4 players. splitscreen, splitscreen splitscreen splitscreen. Can't stress that enough.

2 player split screen - standard top and bottom, and the two players should be able to switch between roles whenever they see fit. when they switch to the seeker - if one of the player plans to be the seeker throughout the entire match, they have to make a way for it to be difficult and not easy to end the game so quickly. whether it is some sort of tracking method or even if it is a bar they fill to track it down - because players should have the freedom to play as whoever they want, whenever they want.

3-4 player splitscreen - players one and two get majority of the screen and player 3 gets the smaller box, and 4 players is evenly spaced out. in this type of regime though, the infrastructure for roles probably would have to be picked before the match starts. there are 3 chaser, 2 beaters, and 1 seeker. so if someone were to switch to being a seeker during the game, their teammate wouldn't have that option. so maybe in the pre-game setup options they should leave a seeker-lock on option so that if someone is the seeker, they're stuck that way for the entire match and if it turned off, they can switch to a different player if their teammate wishes to be the seeker.

so yeah. there's that, and of course that should also be integrated to online multiplayer as well. the brooms, the teams, everything should have stats, everything should have some level of effect on gameplay. like as you progress through campaign, you unlock faster brooms, etc. none of that was really present in the original game.

Top Bottom