• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Netflix Movie Club |Week 1| "SIDE EFFECTS" discussion thread (spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jts

...hate me...
Welcome to GAF's Netflix Movie Club Week 1 discussion thread. The idea came from UFO, and was put together by GK86. Every week, we will nominate a movie in the Netflix Movie Club |OT| and discuss a different movie in a new weekly thread which will openly discuss the movie without spoiler tags. Genre changes every week. Visit the OT for details.

Genre of the week: Thriller
Movie of the week: Side Effects

WGi28n9.jpg

Netflix page. Youtube trailer

Description: When a young wife's depression spirals out of control due to her husband's prison release, she turns to a new medication that alters her life forever.

Director - Steven Soderbergh

Cast:

Rooney Mara
p0JSzik.jpg

Jude Law
nCvupC2.jpg

Channing Tatum
BjrSep8.jpg

Catherine Zeta-Jones
HsnrH20.jpg

Chuck

Still without luck
Man this stuff all happened pretty fast. Shouldn't we have a date or window to watch it posted so we know when the bulk of the discussion will happen?

jts

...hate me...
Man this stuff all happened pretty fast. Shouldn't we have a date or window to watch it posted so we know when the bulk of the discussion will happen?
You mean like having a watching and reflecting period before the actual discussion? That, I don't know. I was guessing that a new movie comes up every Wednesday and that's that, as soon as you see it, you can start discussing it.

Most people will probably take at least 2-3 days to do that though, so the weekly thread should be relatively dead for the first couple of days I guess.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
You mean like having a watching and reflecting period before the actual discussion? That, I don't know. I was guessing that a new movie comes up every Wednesday and that's that, as soon as you see it, you can start discussing it.

Most people will probably take at least 2-3 days to do that though, so the weekly thread should be relatively dead for the first couple of days I guess.

Which is why I was saying to take the wait and see approach.

Yeah, we really don't need a weekly thread for this sort of thing. That will guarantee minimal participation and a fractured community posting in several different threads per week.

What makes a heck of a lot more sense would be to have a monthly thread, and stick to a central theme that ties the movies together. It could be something as simple as, "GAF Netflix Movie Club |January| Foreign Films" or whatever.

The idea of common thematic elements. Some simple suggestions (and I haven't cross-checked this against Netflix's inventory):
- Genres, e.g. documentaries, thrillers, science fiction, etc.
- Foreign language, e.g. all films in one language, or just in general
- Decades, e.g. 1950s, 1960s, etc.
- Similar storylines, e.g. bank heists, sports stories, political movements
- Same actor or director

This would still allow you to maintain a one film per week approach, but have the discussion center around each and how they compare and contrast to the other monthly nominees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom