• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Movie Club |OT2| True Grit

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I plan on watching it tonight. Impressions seem generally good so far.

Nominations for this week are open. The genre is romance.

My nomination is Don Jon.

lordxar

This will be a challenge to find a romance flick...I fooking hate these movies. Now to see if I can find a robotic, alien death machine that falls in love....

lordxar

Ahhh sweet! I nominate House of Flying Daggers. Didn't ever imagine it would fit the bill but whatever, Netflix says its a romantic foreign movie, good enough for me and I have been wanting to watch it. Actually there's quite a few good movies in here like Vanilla Sky so maybe the romance section isn't so bad...then again Twilight and Single Moms Club...yeesh.

Hah, I'm glad people are liking The Endless Summer. My dad is a surfer so I grew up watching that movie lol. I actually prefer The Endless Summer II because it has shortboarding and people I actually recognize (a young Kelly Slater makes a cameo). Unfortunately I don't think it's on Netflix.

Ugh, romance...

I nominate Shakespeare In Love. It won best picture so I'm guessing it's at least halfway decent.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I was hoping we would get one more nomination.

The winner for this week is...Punch-Drunk Love! (god damn it)

Netflix page Youtube Trailer

Director: Paul Thomas Anderson

Cast:
adam-sandler-profile.jpg

Adam Sandler

emily-watson-5.jpg

Emily Watson

philip-seymour-hoffman__140206120736.jpg

Phillip Seymor Hoffman

I still have 17 minutes left in Endless Summer to watch. Wasn't a good idea to watch it before bed because of how relaxing it is.

Hopefully I'll like Punch-Drunk Love more this time.

lol, sorry Human. I was just on a Paul Thomas Anderson kick lately so I was curious about this one. Hopefully, I and a few others will enjoy this at least :p

Well, I sat and watched Punch Drunk Love last night with my wife, and we both found it really confusing and with little meaning. The only thing I liked was the soundtrack, which reminded me of 'Birdman'.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Sorry I didn't nominate anything, I took a look but didn't see anything that I wanted to see and then I got buried in work--in retrospect I would have nominated Weekend. The winner is one of the films I've seen and I kind of like it too. I'm not going to defend Punch-Drunk Love as some kind of masterpiece--it's not.

Paul Thomas Anderson has made one 5 out of 5 movies in his career: There Will Be Blood. He's also made two 4½ out of 5: Magnolia and The Master. Punch-Drunk Love is a solid 3 out of 5. Its major problem is that it isn't very interesting. It's one of those movies that doesn't really contribute anything to the conversation. And that's pretty harsh criticism even though I don't mean it as anything bad. It's an entertaining flick but that's it.

The overly long intro and the lack of coherence hurts it more than it does his other films. I really wish this had been something special. I like the poster a lot.

lordxar

Its a strangely interesting movie. No freaking clue what the hell I just watched but it was enjoyable in some weird way. Three Netflix stars, why not.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
When I watched this the other day I wrote a quasi-review for a blog submission:

I was not a fan of Punch-Drunk Love when I watched it years ago. I found the acting very stiff and story pointless. Hoping to watch Don Jon this week in my Netflix Movie Club, I was disappointed when it was chosen (by random). To my surprise I found it very enjoyable on my second viewing, partially because I now appreciate natural dialogue and quirky humor that doesn't rely on silliness.

Punch-Drunk Love, released in 2002, was directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. It is a romantic black comedy, nothing like his other movies There Will Be Blood, a more serious film, and Magnolia, which is supernatural and perplexing. It stars Adam Sandler, Emily Watson and the late Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Adam Sandler plays an awkward, rigid small business man named Barry Egan who experiences fits of rage and sadness, the former caused by his overbearing sisters who speak badly of him to his face, to themselves and to others.

I doubted on my first viewing Sandler would be successful going outside his typecasting, having enjoyed his films Big Daddy, The Waterboy, and Mr. Deeds. Then I saw it as a failure, where as now I see it as an accomplished usage of his skill playing a social outcast trying to do the right thing minus the antics. Barry speaks strangely with lines such as “Good to see your face again”, “Business is very food”, and “I don't freak out, no matter what my sisters say”. He makes gagging noises as he runs, handles objects in orthodox ways and hides when people approach him. His solitude and anxiety is felt in quiet, still scenes of wide angle shots with people in the far background become uneasy by the sound of drums and rattling when someone or something closes in.

His romantic interest Lena Leonard, played by Emily Watson, is introduced to him by one of his seven sisters, the only one who shows interest in his well being. Unbeknownst to her, Lena is a little weird herself, which becomes clear near the end of the film when she speaks grotesquely in what should have been a loving scene. That interaction solidified them as a couple, not just two people rushing into a relationship, a common issue in romantic movies. She doesn't seem to notice or care about Barry's stilted behavior, satisfied with his short responses and forgiving of his lies and mistakes. It is not the best romantic story I've seen and really serves as a subplot.

The meat of the film is how Barry's need for companionship leads him down a path of harassment. Philip Seymour Hoffman plays the foul mouth mattress store owner Dean Trumbell, who for a side business tricks vulnerable men to provide personal information to extract money. When Barry realizes he has fallen into a trap he desperately ignores the problem only to be intimidated by Dean's thugs. After fleeing from home he returns to deal with the henchmen and Dean concluding in an anti-climactic, funny encounter settled by respect and passion. Unfortunately it was soured by Barry claiming “love makes me stronger than anything you can imagine”. Puh-lease Paul Anderson.

It is a small blemish on an otherwise superb film. How Barry's life changes over the course of sweet and outlandish events was fun and satisfying. Such change cannot be pointless as I thought previously. I like the imperfect dialogue because it represents what people actually say instead of what people wish they had said. It's not laugh out loud comedy, but dark comedies rarely are. Anderson's choice of colors, with plain locations and psychedelic transition sequences, complimented the utilization light, which did not serve to enhance the message of good and bad or right and wrong. They worked together best in two picturesque scenes that had characters silhouettes on brightly colored backgrounds. These elements make Punch-Drunk Love worth seeing.

Also, nominations are open for Period Piece/Western. I nominate Heavenly Creatures.

Due to some of the comments earlier in the thread, I wasn't expecting to enjoy this one much but I really did. 4 stars. It really was not what I was expecting which was two quirky people falling in love with each other. I mean, yea, it was kind of about that but there was a much weirder plot under that. Really didn't think I'd enjoy Adam Sandler in the role but he did a good job.

I found an interesting analysis about Barry being symbolic of Superman. You may not agree with it but it's an interesting analysis and gives that love giving strength line some more credence beyond just being a sappy line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2untlg3bFmk&index=5&list=PLNSEeU1TtuuVRnP8avoqfg45RCOY-oim0

Paul Thomas Anderson was clearly using a very particular colour scheme in the movie that I couldn't wrap my head around when I was watching it. That analysis does make sense of it all.

lordxar

I will nominate Once Upon a Time in the West. Lon,g slow ass movie but I enjoyed it many years ago and wouldn't mind another viewing.

I will nominate Once Upon a Time in the West. Lon,g slow ass movie but I enjoyed it many years ago and wouldn't mind another viewing.

A lot of people recommended that movie in my recent LTTP thread about The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. I second this nomination.

There seems to be slim pickings for this genre, at least just searching for Western on Netflix. I'll go with True Grit, but I'd be happy with Once Upon a Time in the West too.

lordxar

There's quite a bit of westerns on Netflix but the only damn time I can find them is when I want something else. Then I'm flooded with them. Think you have to use the full website for best searching and I'm limited to mobile....although I could probably load the full site on my tablet.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Come on guys let's get five at least! You have Django Unchained, The Last Samurai, Amadeus (which is fantastic), Gladiator and The Phantom of the Opera.

lordxar

Shit...I forgot about watching True Grit. Been busy as hell but will get on it today. We up for another pick already too?

lordxar

When I saw no one had watched it besides myself I figured the thread was dead.

Life shit has been happening for me so I got a little behind on my movie of the week. Plus I wanted to bump the thread in case it got forgotten. :)

Was an enjoyable movie in that 60's John Wayne cowboy way. Definitely some great scenery and it was kind of refreshing to see an old school movie where whores were lewd women and the language wasn't much cursing. Now I swear...a lot so its not a hangup for me but was nice to see better word choices. More educated speak so to say. I will say JW was a very animated actor, more than I remember but its been a long time since I watched one of his movies. 5 stars.

I completely forgot I watched this movie a few days ago so I never came back to post my thoughts. The fact that I forgot the movie so quickly after watching it though is clearly a sign that I don't have much to say about it. It was good, nice to see movies shot on location which we don't see too often anymore. Glen Campbell sucked. And that's basically all I can remember so I guess I can say it was unmemorable. I should probably watch the remake at some point.

The thread is pretty slow but it would be a shame if we stopped.

We need to wrangle some fresh blood into it, maybe mention it in any other community threads you're a part of. It'd bring in some different opinions and nominations too.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I know the story. This week got hammered. Working extra and buying an apartment really put a dent into my schedule. Haven't been able to see any movie, not even Avengers: Age of Ultron which I'm really looking forward too.

lordxar

What the hell, I nominate Bounty Killer for independent. We've got two weeks left on the schedule, so if anyone else is game, lets knock this out. If not, that's cool to.

kinoki

What the hell, I nominate Bounty Killer for independent. We've got two weeks left on the schedule, so if anyone else is game, lets knock this out. If not, that's cool to.

I would follow you but I have such limited time these coming two weeks that it'll be more or less imposssible. :(

I'm tempted to nominate a Troma film, but I think that'll kill the remaining people haha

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
If we can get five nominations I'll keep this going. My nomination is Short Term 12.

Otherwise I would say try making OT3. Better to start fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom