• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN’s GOTY 2023 is The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Draugoth

Gold Member
ign-awards-best-game-of-2023-1702589566026.jpg

Runner-Up: Resident Evil 4​

The year began with a bang when Capcom released its remake of Resident Evil 4. Already considered one of the greatest games of all time, it was hard to imagine how Capcom could improve upon the original. After all, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. But three remakes in and Capcom has developed a surgeon’s eye for what to change and what to keep in place, ditching some of the campier elements — like the giant robot Salazar — from the original, but leaving the pitch-perfect setting and pace untouched. Resident Evil 4 is arguably Capcom’s best remake yet, quieting anyone who questioned the necessity of this remake in the first place.

Runner-Up: Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty​

A few weeks after the launch of Tears of the Kingdom, CD Projekt Red released its Cyberpunk 2077 expansion, Phantom Liberty. Even with the notable updates CD Projekt Red released for Cyberpunk 2077 over the years, it felt like we needed to temper our expectations for Phantom Liberty accordingly, just in case it repeated the turbulent launch of 2020. The result was better than we could’ve hoped for. Phantom Liberty is a truly unique techno-spy thriller that tackles all the classic cyberpunk themes of identity, class, and alienation all while pushing forward the attention to detail and level of quality the studio is known for. Coupled with the one-two punch of the literal game-changing 2.0 update for Cyberpunk 2077, CD Projekt Red can happily close this chapter on a high note as the developer prepares its Witcher and Cyberpunk sequels.

Runner-Up: Alan Wake 2​

Sneaking in at the tail end of October just in time for Halloween was Remedy’s long-awaited sequel, Alan Wake 2. Remedy claimed this was the studio’s first-ever survival horror game, making it hard to anticipate just what kind of ride we’d be in for.

Who knew Remedy had such a mean streak, because Alan Wake 2 took the bones of the original — the light and dark gunplay and a healthy dash of Twin Peaks and Stephen King — and injected it with pure darkness. The live-action video segments are more sinister than they were the first time around, and Alan Wake lead actors Ikka Villi (Alan Wake) and Melanie Liburd (Saga Anderson) are given movie star-sized jobs co-starring as the haunted author and FBI profiler respectively, working together to solve the mystery of Wake’s 13 year disappearance. You can tell Remedy had a lot of fun with this one, and the future for the Remedy Cinematic Universe is looking bright.

Survival horror as a genre suffered a decade of being lost in the wilderness. Between 2009 and 2017 studios figured that horror games needed a shot of action to go along with it, and the slow, plodding pace of survival horror games from the late 90s and early 2000s weren’t exactly record-breaking sellers. Thankfully, the genre has found its way back thanks to games like Alan Wake 2, which show that horror games can successfully deliver the kind of over-the-top bombast fans expect from big game productions with the sort of stripped-back, sweaty palm survival horror gameplay.

Alan Wake 2 was one of the best surprises of the year, but even Remedy’s latest triumph can’t shine its flashlight near the biggest competition Tears of the Kingdom had this year.

Runner-up: Baldur’s Gate 3​

There will be arguments over which open-world game is the best, or which survival horror game is, but as far as CRPGs go, look no further than Baldur’s Gate 3.

It’s not like Larian Studios’ newest adventure completely came out of nowhere – the Baldur’s Gate series is one of the most beloved computer RPGs to ever be released, and Dungeons & Dragons has had a real renaissance as of late. But while fans were playing an Early Access version of this game for some time now, the full release was far more than what anyone could have expected.

As deep as an ocean and just as wide, Baldur’s Gate 3 takes player choice to unprecedented heights, creating a campaign that feels like we’re truly embodying a character that is wholly our own, and not just some pre-written avatar. And although mechanically rich, Baldur’s Gate 3’s real triumph is the best-in-class writing. More often than not, branching dialogue can make us feel like we’re really saying only a fraction of what we want to convey. Not Baldur’s Gate 3, whose smart, witty, fun dialogue is the spine that holds up this massive behemoth.

Of course, it helps that Baldur’s Gate 3 is wickedly fun to play, too. Discovering that you can in fact skip an entire battle in the goblin camp by poisoning the wine jug is just one of the myriad of unorthodox ways to make one’s way through Baldur’s Gate 3.

Larian Studios deserves all of its flowers for delivering one of the best RPGs in years, for becoming the new king of the CRPG genre, and for showcasing what a smallish, dedicated game studio is able to achieve when armed with clear vision and time. It was almost IGN’s Best Game winner and the voting literally came down to the wire, with the frontrunner changing hands multiple times throughout the voting process. But ultimately, it came just short of slaying the giant we all knew was coming.

IGN Best Game 2023 Winner: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom​

This is the game many of us had marked on our calendars, and for good reason. We couldn’t wait to see what a sequel to one of the best games of all time could achieve. But it turns out that wasn’t the right question.

Tears of the Kingdom didn’t just deliver more of what we wanted – that would be too on the nose. Instead, the team at Nintendo put the challenge to us, asking players what could we achieve if given the right tools? Nintendo clearly watched hundreds of videos of what Breath of the Wild players were able to create — making flying machines from barrels and carts using abilities that were clearly designed for other things. Nintendo went ahead and gave us proper tools to create mechs, flying bombers, rocket ships, land rovers, kaijus… you name it. We’re still building, and will likely keep building.

In a broad sense, Tears of the Kingdom and Baldur’s Gate 3 aren’t too dissimilar. Both offer players expansive amounts of freedom, to a point where we feel like we can meaningfully impose our wills in both games. But there’s a moment very early on in Tears of the Kingdom that serves as a kind of switch in the imagination. Obtaining the Ultrahand is the key to Tears of the Kingdom’s whole philosophy. Suddenly puzzle answers aren’t just figuring out the right color-combination or finding the right switch. The solutions to all Tears of the Kingdom’s challenges lie all around Hyrule itself, in the forests and caves and sky and depths.

It’d be a disservice to say that Tears of the Kingdom is just more Breath of the Wild. If anything, it makes Breath of the Wild seem like an extravagant test run for what Tears of the Kingdom manages to achieve. When Shigeru Miyamoto created the Zelda series, he said he was inspired by the explorations he took as a young boy into the forests and caves of his hometown in Sonobe, Japan. 37 years later and this dream of exploration seems fully realized.

LakeOf9

The way they talk about the games is just mindless glorification. AW2 saved the survival horror genre, BG3 is the best CRPG of all time and ToTK makes BoTW look like a test run, shut the fuck up.
oh no, not video game fans being positive about games they like, how can we allow this

this cannot stand

shut the fuck up and start being cynical and shitting on games and the industry again, that's what THE GAMERS™ want

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The way they talk about the games is just mindless glorification. AW2 saved the survival horror genre, BG3 is the best CRPG of all time and ToTK makes BoTW look like a test run, shut the fuck up.
Amen. The Zelda media bias is very real. Your have to be in denial to not see it. Not even Mario gets the same relentless praise and look at what that franchise does for platformers

ungalo

oh no, not video game fans being positive about games they like, how can we allow this

this cannot stand

shut the fuck up and start being cynical and shitting on games and the industry again, that's what THE GAMERS™ want
I just think what they're saying is stupid, take it how you want.

BoTW was the best game of all time in their stupid rankings, and now the best game of all time was relegated to a test run because it's 2023. And i'm being cynical ? This shit doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

Amen. The Zelda media bias is very real. Your have to be in denial to not see it. Not even Mario gets the same relentless praise and look at what that franchise does for platformers
So funny that the post you are quoting talks about IGN being perceived to be hyperbolic about every game, and yet your takeaway from it is "THE ZELDA BIAS IS REAL"

Says more about you than anything else

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
So funny that the post you are quoting talks about IGN being perceived to be hyperbolic about every game, and yet your takeaway from it is "THE ZELDA BIAS IS REAL"

Says more about you than anything else
They aren’t hyperbolic towards every game.

SCB3

Yep, same for me, as much as I love BG3, it was my 3rd in my own GotY after Zelda and Alan Wake 2

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Yes, it is an amazing game. Not just the gameplay and sophistication of it, letting the player have the reins, but all the systems working together to create a true sandbox.

So many awe moments as well with an ending that's the best Nintendo has ever done.

Buggy Loop

That's their opinion but BG3 is 4 times the game this is. Both can be enjoyed and one will be remembered more than the other.

Couldn’t finish TOTK, I’m probably somewhere in the caves or something and went to play something else.

I feel they actually killed the sense of exploration that BOTW had because here the tools given are just ways to skip that part. From sky to ground to caves, there’s massive shortcuts that basically makes you question, « why would I even get a horse out? Why even walk? »

To me it’s a regression to BOTW. The systems are good, but they went too far.

BG3 is god tier

Madflavor

It’d be a disservice to say that Tears of the Kingdom is just more Breath of the Wild.

I mean, it is. I don't know why people got to protect their feelings and pretend that it isn't. It's still a great game, your enjoyment of the game is real and validated, but it's extremely similar to BotW. Many reused assets, same models and textures, same music and sound beats, same gameplay, literally a direct sequel. The game itself doesn't shy away from any of this. There's nothing wrong with any of this by the way, unless you're claiming it's not more BotW.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

You can see which outlets on the Game Awards jury voted for what, VGC went with AW2 & GameSpot with BG3.
Polygon was TOTK as well

Some of these replies, man. Just go on Twitter and let it all out. If you can’t say something nice, don’t say it at all. So much negativity on this forum fucking hell.
There is legit a post in this thread complaining that a game of the year article (celebrating the best games of the year) is too positive. I think people on here (and just online communities in general) thrive on negativity.

Lupin25

I’d pick Baldur’s Gate 3, just for the breakout success it was this year. It’s not my “favorite” game, but I tip my hat.

I wouldn’t say someone was wrong though for picking TotK. BG3 is a crpg, it’s not going to be for action lovers, even though I believe every gamer should at least try it.

As an alternative, TotK is the best choice for those people.

Top Bottom