• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor: Worlds Apart |OT| Season 30, 15 years of blindsides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macka

GWFYR0m.png

Vd3oIiJ.png

Survivor is BACK in its thirtieth season with an all-new cast of players. This time around, the contestants have been divided into three tribes based on their occupation.

Host Jeff Probst explains the Worlds Apart theme:

“The concept for this season of Survivor is White Collars, which tend to be the people who work in offices, might wear a suit, are in charge and they make the rules. Versus the Blue Collars, and this is really what America was built on and still what drives America, and these are people that work outside, they might wear a uniform, they work with their hands, and they tend to follow the rules. Versus the No Collars: These are the people on the outside that don’t have any interest in the status quo or tradition. It might be a jeweler, it could be a sailboat instructor, or somebody who works down on the beach. And they tend to break the rules.”

WyhEIUl.png

9zIW814.jpg

^ CLICK ^
f6b2ALj.png

• Jeff Probst: "Twists this season…I think are going to surprise the players because of how simple it is. We don’t have a lot of twists planned."
  • Nothing major, but tagged in case anyone wants to go in blind.
    Similar to what was done on Cagayan, at the start of the game TWO players will be sent to their tribe camps early. They will have to decide between something that could help their entire tribe, or an idol clue. I think going in pairs actually adds a really interesting second layer to this twist. Quote from Probst:

"We’ve often done something where we say, “Pick one person to make a decision on behalf of your tribe.” That’s worked well. The nice thing about having one person is that no one knows your lie. So, what we’re saying is you have to share your lie. Two people have to decide whether or not to deceive the tribe. And now you’re linked with them. If you lie, they know your lie and you know theirs. What do you do? Do you get rid of them because they know or are you linked with them to the end? And part of the lie is a clue to an idol. Who gets it?
  • Something else that we don't know yet. All we have to go on is this:

Says Probst in an Entertainment Weekly article: “We have a new advantage in the game. Something we’ve toyed with for a long time and decided to do it this year, and it plays out great. I’ll leave it at that for now.”
  • CONFIRMED NO TYLER PERRY IDOL. Thank fuck.
YmTEghH.png

bDwAPDl.png

qsrYKOL.jpg

UYPNtY1.jpg

Z1e3vin.png
88BgwX8.png
KAdE73N.png

4eL8xmq.jpg

NEIs1Wo.png
PLTH7jA.png
FrvV7SD.png

BmQAba0.png

VL8NVJW.jpg

8S6FMGp.jpg

Mk5FgTo.png
oGRSfMA.png
rxYFCHG.png

P6pNqXP.jpg

EyNkLFO.png
AgefvXj.png
V6WwFFo.png

Jm6NZh3.png

lAG5Gsx.jpg

qd0Dzww.jpg

WRNUtaG.png
VhGe6qr.png
GwkSdU8.png

FV0m1VI.jpg

Dne0Rpj.png
XV3dXvR.png
WQCoB0o.png

<-- CLICK
Looks like CBS is playing silly buggers and the link is redirecting. Paste this into your address bar instead: http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast

IpOhjJk.png

• You may recognise Will from this viral video where he sang Livin' on a Prayer at a gas station: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_FQFuUzDY4
  • Max is a former college professor who used to run lectures on Survivor. He is very well-known in the Survivor online community.
  • Dan is also very well known by the Survivor community. The guy has been applying for the show since season 2 and has traveled thousands of miles around the US following casting calls. After 15 years he has finally succeeded in bugging casting enough to get on the show. Hope he does well!
  • So Kim was originally cast to be on the last season of Blood vs. Water along with her sister, but said sister had a medical issue and was pulled. Good to see So got another chance here!

DALTON ROSS PRE-GAME INTERVIEWS WITH CONTESTANTS: http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/author/gholmes/

This is the premier Survivor podcast, hosted by former contestant Rob Cesternino, who played in both Season 6 - The Amazon and Season 8 - All-Stars. Throughout the Survivor season, Rob provides several hours worth of content each week, whether that be live podcasts after each episode to dissect what we just saw, additional weekly podcasts with former contestant guests, or exit interviews with each of the eliminated castaways.

Even now in the off-season, Rob is churning out regular podcasts to tide us over until Season 30 starts. Check it all out over at www.robhasawebsite.com

~

13vty4l.jpg

Extremely interesting and in-depth podcasts from some old-school Survivor fans, including the writer of the Funny115, Mario Lanza. They started with Borneo, have a few editions per season and are only up to Guatemala so far (and only probably won't go past Tocantins tbh). They often have castaways from the season they are focusing on in that episode as special guests, and the discussion gets really into what actually happened out there, lots of first-hand information from the players. These are long and infrequent podcasts so there aren't many episodes, but are definitely worth a listen.

Delve into Survivor History at http://funny115.com/podcast

~

K2J9sTO.jpg

Just two best friends talking about Survivor. They do cast assessments, episode discussions and interviews with random castaways if they can manage it. This is another one with an absolute tonne of content. Pretty likeable guys with good opinions too.

Link: http://www.survivortalkwithdandd.com

xbhaskarx

Looking at the group photos I thought "the white collar tribe might not do so bad" but then I saw the Yahoo exec... they are doomed.

Mononoke

Banned
Will participate in this Survivor Season thread, if you guys are okay with that. :p

I saw the very Survivor when it aired. I've seen every season except about 4-5 of them. Had to stop watching when I was at Uni. Not as much of an expert on the show as you guys, but I love watching it. I have no family to watch with anymore. Just my fiance. So I would love to talk to you guys during this.

Grexeno

Will participate in this Survivor Season thread, if you guys are okay with that. :p

I saw the very Survivor when it aired. I've seen every season except about 4-5 of them. Had to stop watching when I was at Uni. Not as much of an expert on the show as you guys, but I love watching it. I have no family to watch with anymore. Just my fiance. So I would love to talk to you guys during this.
Welcome!

Jigorath

Banned
This season has been getting a LOT of hype. Probst said this was the best cast they've ever had. One of the leakers said it was the best season since Heroes vs Villains. Even better than Cagayan.

Yep, those are white people. Hopefully this season is better than the last. Any potential spoilers yet?

Even if there are, we try to keep things spoiler-free around here. Go to Survivor Sucks if you want spoilers!

Also, great OT, OP. Definitely excited for this season. Even if Probst's idea of what makes the show great is different from mine, when he hypes up a season they usually deliver.

rude

Banned
Survivor has really been lacking in man candy for the past few seasons. Ugh.

And white collar is definitely going to be a repeat of the brains tribe after watching that video.

Agraavan

My body is ready. Even when it sucks, I can't wait for the next week episode and all the shenanigans it sure will bring.

After I saw this picture, Cap America picture just popped up in my mind.

Look at the guy on right side.

That has to be a weird perspective, right? Otherwise I wouldn't have thought it was humanly possible.

Will probably turn in for this season after skipping last season due to the stupid stunt casting of John Rocker. Three tribe seasons usually bring max drama.

Don't let anyone here tell you differently: you didn't miss much. The only really good thing about it was we didn't get much of a winner's edit.

But yeah, three tribe seasons always go well. Probably because they don't allow for Pagonging.

llehuty

i'm not saying they're bad looking but not stunners like parvati, etc.

Yeah, I have to agree. So Kim is hot, but she is going to look like a corpse 15 days in
If she gets that far, that is.

Also, although I agree that White collar tribe is the more likely to follow Brains tribe in meltdowns, it's the only tribe where all the members look more or less in shape.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yes, looking forward to it.

Joeys_Rattata

Neo Member
Don't let anyone here tell you differently: you didn't miss much. The only really good thing about it was we didn't get much of a winner's edit.

But yeah, three tribe seasons always go well. Probably because they don't allow for Pagonging.

As an active Suckster (clubs to be specific), I don't care what y'all have to say about last season. I whole heartedly agree with CTS and the general opinion there that San Juan Del Sur was one of the best seasons we've ever had.

To paraphrase someone from Sucks (i forget who), a season where a women's alliance led by an extremely emotional pageant girl who targetted people for reasons such as "HE WAS RUDE TO ME!!!" bumblefucking their way through the game and voting out seven men in a row is nothing but amazing. It also culminated in the best final 2 we've seen since Sandra and Lil.

ALSO, episode 11 is probably the best single episode of Survivor ever. 42 straight minutes of Jaclyn throwing a massive tantrum because she didn't go horseback riding is phenomenal. Couple that with the fact that her refusing to talk to anyone resulted in Reed going home and then Jaclyn seemingly getting over it 0.5 seconds after Reed leaves makes it even more amazing.

"Who's the Jury?"
"DON'T TOUCH ME."
"It's okay, I got yelled at to."
"HE SHOULD BE TALKING TO ME. *five seconds later* I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO YOU."
"~5 hours later~"
"DO YOU KNOW HOW DISRESPECTED YOU MADE ME FEEL?"
"Then that sucks for you, but he doesn't want to talk to me, so..."

This isn't even going into Natalie's entire journey and the saga of demon spawn Baylor Wilson.

The only downside to San Juan Del Sur was having to listen to Josh drone on for the entire pre merge, but the second he got voted out, it went from being a good season to a top tier season.

"I HAVE TWO IDOLS."
"Kelley's the biggest threat."
"Basically, I'm a badass."
"THAT'S NOT A VERY CHRISTIAN THING TO DO."
"Baylor, you're going to have to be a little fake."
"I'm your loved one. :)"
"It looks like we're going to have to vote Keith out :( BUT BETTER HIM THAN MEEE~~~~ :D"
"I'm confused, did Alec vote for himself?"
"TAKE YOUR TIME JACLYN DON'T HURT YOURSELF GOING DOWN THE POLE."

What a roller coaster of a season <33333

And I'll say it right now with no shame: Jaclyn is the greatest Survivor in recent seasons and is only surpassed by stars like Sandra and Courtney Yates. I would put Courtney Marrit up there too, but I don't know how I like more out of Courtney M and Jaclyn. Abi is a super close second for amazing recent Survivor contestants.

I was a bit bummed when Natalie ended up beating Jaclyn, and I LOVE Natalie. That just goes to show what a star Jaclyn was.

That said, this season looks phenom and I'm excited for So, Shirin, Lindsey, Vince, and Joaquin. Carolyn seems like she has star power too.

Edit: btw, for those of you who don't visit sucks or CTS, here's the results from this year's annual CTS Survivor popularity poll, for seasons: It's generally how I feel except I'd have Cagayan below Nicaragua and China at number 4 or 5.

29. Redemption Island
28. Caramoan
27. South Pacific
26. One World
25. Samoa
24. Fiji
23. All Stars
22. Cook Islands
21. Thailand
20. Tocantins
19. Africa
18. Blood vs. Water