• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen Fry on Confronting God After Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
God, it feels so weird as an Irishman to have people in this thread not know who Gay Byrne (the interviewer in question) is.

Ashes

Banned
Feels kinda odd coming from a manic depressive who would not get rid of his own suffering by pressing a red button.*

*if I recall correctly.

Damerman

Wow, what brilliance. I would never think of asking this. Maybe its because i was almost indoctrinated to think that Sin is our fault and that the world is as bad as it is because of sin...

Hale-XF11

Interviewer's reactions are priceless

wQvv3xj.png

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
What is this guy famous for? I've never heard of him outside of that one quote about being offended. Did he found reddit?

braves01

Banned
Doctrinally, isn't original sin/expulsion from Eden the answer to all Fry's points? That leads to the question about whether inflicting the sins of parents on their children is right, however, so I guess you kinda end up in the same place.

Enosh

eh, just the usual "well i would like totally flip off god, man!" response I have seen and heard a hundred times and quite sure I've said in my more militant atheist days

and I really question the sincerity of anyone that says it, I don't believe in God, but if I were to find myself one day in front of him to be judged, the very last thing on my mind would be insulting him and I doubt Fry, or any other person for that matter, would actually do it

injurai

Banned
eh, just the usual "well i would like totally flip off god, man!" response I have seen and heard a hundred times and quite sure I've said in my more militant atheist days

and I really question the sincerity of anyone that says it, I don't believe in God, but if I were to find myself one day in front of him to be judged, the very last thing on my mind would be insulting him and I doubt Fry, or any other person for that matter, would actually do it

No I'd Imagine Stephen Fry really means what he has said.

Why the fuck do we think life should have meaning? How dare we.

How dare we think there is a 'creator', and that we are given a place after death.

The gall.

I will never understand.

Is it fear?

ok

Africanus

It would be the 2nd thing on my mind after "Damn, I guess that nap I took was bad."

Think about it, if this Abrahamic god appears before you, a militant atheist, you already know you're going to die the second death. As such, you'd do it on your terms rather than any malevolent god. Airing greivances is always good for the mind.

they might just be reaction shots filmed later

because Gay Byrne..

"admitted that he’s getting less religious as he gets older: “I think that comes with reading and listening and finding out and all of that...I don’t know what I believe in...I’m not agnostic”."

Feels kinda odd coming from a manic depressive who would not get rid of his own suffering by pressing a red button.*

*if I recall correctly.

What the fuck does that have to do with the existence of god? Just because one believes there is no ulterior motive to life, no life after death, no heaven and hell, does not mean he does not VALUE his, or others lives.

If you need those stories to structure your own morality and empathy, you are a sociopath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom