• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Avatar: The Last Airbender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altazor

Recently started watching ATLA on (Latin American) Netflix. I'm up to S02E07, so if you wish to discuss or reference future events PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS. Discussion of episodes before that are fine without spoiler warnings or tags :)

Yesterday I watched "Zuko Alone" and... my god. MY GOD. This show has everything. I'm impressed with the setting and world building, the color palettes and the art style, the fluid and breathtaking animation and he epic direction, but most of all - I'm impressed with the quality of the writing. This is far more than a children's cartoon. It exceeds that label completely. This is something that's crafted with love and respect for both its inspirations and it's audience. Something that manages to be funny, thought provoking, epic and heartbreaking in the same episode - in less than 30 minutes!! It takes gender tropes and manages to subvert them thoroughly (Sokka is a teenage boy who thinks himself a manly warrior but he's also a compulsive shopper that feels buyer's remorse. Katara was prohibited from learning waterbending by the Northern tribe because she was a girl and she wasn't supposed to do that, YET SHE STILL DID AND SURPASSED THE OTHER STUDENTS. And so on). It lovingly references pop culture in a way that feels organic. It isn't afraid to show the ugly part of a war, managing to be scary and dark without going overboard with dread (and no gore!).

Of course, it's not perfect. Both "The Great Divide" and "Avatar Day" are the weakest episodes so far, both relying on unlikeable "villagers of the week" that truly are one dimensional, unlike the main cast, and somewhat ridiculous premises. They both have saving graces, though, and avoid to be completely bad or boring. But for every Great Divide or Avatar Day, there's a The Storm or Zuko Alone. And the latter one prompted me to write this thread.

It reminded me of the better parts of LOST, managing to use flashbacks to further and reinforce the narrative instead of hindering it. A sad, beautiful tale of struggling to define identity, a dysfunctional family, political maneuvering AND a western homage. It exceeds expectations and transforms an already great series into an amazing one. Not only for children, but for everyone.

So... discuss your favorite moments, tease me about future episodes, share favorite lines, ship your favorite couple, etc.

PS: TOPH and UNCLE IROH ARE THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST
PPS: Azula's a fucking monster. What a sociopath. Bloody great antagonist, though. Chilling.

Frog-fu

Banned
It's an amazing series. I've seen in idk how many times over by now. Have fun, OP.

The sequel is worth a watch but keep your expectations low.

It really is terrific. I saw it for the first time about two years ago, and similarly the main thing that stood out to me considering it's a Nickelodeon show was the high quality of the writing. The characters are so great, arcs are well-defined and convincing and the villains are superb. Azula is one of my favourite characters in the whole program; she's so relentless and twisted.

Toa TAK

Banned
I gave this series a rewatch recently and I have to say that we as a species don't deserve as good of a show as this. The characters and story are done so well that you just want to keep watching each episode like an addiction. Everyone in the main cast gets to stand out.

epmode

This is one of my favorite shows ever, full stop. I love everything about it.

Too bad about Korra.

edit: I lied. The Great Divide is awful. Thankfully, the show itself acknowedges this so all is forgiven!

brau

Awesome show.

If you like the art i would recommend getting this Art Book

High quality animation, funny, interesting characters and an amazing setting.

Glad you are enjoying it. Don't get too excited for Korra. That one sucked.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
GF got me into it after we finished Young Justice, we just started season 3. Can't believe I put it off for so long. When we finished Young Justice I declared it the best cartoon I had ever seen but this, this takes the cake.

Season 2 episode 15, The Tales of Ba Sing Se, had us tearing up at one point.

Also the best fighting scenes of anything I've ever watched.
tumblr_mlehmxqUrB1r9e3ufo5_250.gif
tumblr_mlehmxqUrB1r9e3ufo10_250.gif
tumblr_mlehmxqUrB1r9e3ufo4_250.gif
tumblr_mlehmxqUrB1r9e3ufo3_250.gif

And the Secret Tunnel song gets stuck in my head every once in a while.

JsQoysP.gif

Mumei

GF got me into it after we finished Young Justice, we just started season 3. Can't believe I put it off for so long. When we finished Young Justice I declared it the best cartoon I had ever seen but this, this takes the cake.

Season 2 episode 15, The Tales of Ba Sing Se, had us tearing up at one point.

Also the best fighting scenes of anything I've ever watched.

And the Secret Tunnel song gets stuck in my head every once in a while.

JsQoysP.gif

I love the use of bending in the fight scenes. It's something that sort of disappointed me about the first season of Korra (I haven't seen the subsequent seasons); the bending itself felt less spectacular.

Sevarus

I love the use of bending in the fight scenes. It's something that sort of disappointed me about the first season of Korra (I haven't seen the subsequent seasons); the bending itself felt less spectacular.

This is fixed in seasons 3 and 4 (everything is fixed, actually). The fights are even better than ATLA, IMO.

I would suggest watching Korra as well, contrary to GAF's suggestions. Get through to the second half of Season 2 and it's great.

Toa TAK

Banned
This is fixed in seasons 3 and 4 (everything is fixed, actually). The fights are even better than ATLA, IMO.

I feel like once they got a great set of villains for both seasons they really showed off their bending in the show.

Season 3's finale tops ATLA's Ozai fight for me, personally.

DedValve

Banned

Really? I'd say Korra does everything wrong except the fight scenes. The choreography of the fight scenes and jump in animation is leagues above ATLA.

I still need to watch past episode 3 of Korra. Maybe I'll start by siting down and watching all of TLA. I've never seen it all in one sitting..
Amazing show, I remember being a teen and thinking Nickelodeon was trying to do anime and would fail because it's on Nick. Boy was I proved wrong.

Altazor

What's wrong with Korra? I've only read and heard good things about it from acquaintances. Maybe it's not ATLA level?

Amazing show, I remember being a teen and thinking Nickelodeon was trying to do anime and would fail because it's on Nick. Boy was I proved wrong.

Yeah, I remember when it first aired and I thought it'd be an awkward mix of styles that would fail. Never interested me until years later.

Boy, I was wrong. And I'm fucking glad I started watching it.

Mumei

Really? I'd say Korra does everything wrong except the fight scenes. The choreography of the fight scenes and jump in animation is leagues above ATLA.

Well, the choreography was fantastic; I'm talking about the bending itself. The animation of the earth, wind, fire, and water itself felt really small-bore, even if the choreography of the martial arts aspect was great. Does that make more sense?

Jacob

Avatar is one of my favorite TV shows ever. I've been thinking about rewatching it this month because the 10th anniversary of its original premiere is in a few weeks, and this thread is helping to convince me to do that. xP Enjoy the ride OP, it's really something else. Zuko Alone is one of the best episodes in the entire series, but there's plenty more good stuff to come. The back half of S2 is possibly the most amazing run of quality episodes I've ever seen, and S3 grows on me every time I rewatch it.

Shanlei91

Come on man. OP asked for spoiler tags then you show him GIFs of episodes he hasn't seen.

Those are isolated fighting scenes where not much is spoiled other than that a fight happens and that it's amazing. I figured the gifs would act as a means of conveying my point in how fluid combat is in the show and anyone interested in the show who hasn't seen it would see the gifs and want to go see the show for themselves.

Alas, I have amended my post.

Altazor

Those are isolated fighting scenes where not much is spoiled other than that a fight happens and that it's amazing. I figured the gifs would act as a means of conveying my point in how fluid combat is in the show and anyone interested in the show who hasn't seen it would see the gifs and want to go see the show for themselves.

Alas, I have amended my post.

Don't worry, mate. Nothing important (except choreography) was spoiled by your post. Hype is still strong :)

Grzi

Well, the choreography was fantastic; I'm talking about the bending itself. The animation of the earth, wind, fire, and water itself felt really small-bore, even if the choreography of the martial arts aspect was great. Does that make more sense?

It makes perfect sense.
Basically, in Avatar every form of bending is different, you can see the exact differences in the movements the characters make depending on what type of bending they're using.
Korra, while sporting a much higher budget (in the first season at least) doesn't have this, yes the animation is superb (the animation in Avatar is on the same, if not higher level during the important moments, Korra is just more consistent) but every form of bending looks the same, just a bunch of kicks and punches. They fix this in the last two seasons, but not by much, the third season has the best fight choreography, but the bending itself is not THAT spectacular, and the fourth season does wonders with
metalbending
but other forms look mostly the same.

I liked the movie better than the series.

Could you elaborate on this? I'm genuinely intrigued that such an opinion could possibly exist. What did you prefer about the film? I thought the acting was godawful, the bending really low-key and underwhelming, the storytelling messy (partly due to squeezing a 9 hour series into a 2 hour film, but they still didn't make the best use of the available material) and the special effects were pretty poor.

What's wrong with Korra? I've only read and heard good things about it from acquaintances. Maybe it's not ATLA level?

Korra is fine, it's just not as good as ATLA. It also had a lot of issues with pacing and structure, and while ATLA has great pacing and a strong narrative backbone across its three seasons, Korra feels much more piecemeal than that because the show was only renewed one season at a time and in the final season got loads of budget cuts. It's still really good, and I think if Nick had ordered four seasons from the outset we could have had a show with a much stronger and more flowing narrative.

EDIT - regarding the fights/choreography between ATLA and Korra, they're both great, but I think that fight in Korra between
Suyin and Kuvira
in Operation Beifong is probably the best battle in the whole series between anyone.

epmode

I don't understand why multiple seasons of Korra weren't ordered from the beginning. Weren't ratings for the first show increasing right until the end?

Korra definitely suffered as a result of its uncertain future.

SFenton

Could you elaborate on this? I'm genuinely intrigued that such an opinion could possibly exist. What did you prefer about the film? I thought the acting was godawful, the bending really low-key and underwhelming, the storytelling messy (partly due to squeezing a 9 hour series into a 2 hour film, but they still didn't make the best use of the available material) and the special effects were pretty poor.

I think I just liked the condensed factor a lot more for whatever reason. Clicked with me more.

Also, Zuko was great.

Ezalc

ATLA is amazing. Fantastic journey from beginning to end.

Korra however is muddled from start to finish and only then the last two seasons kind of make up for it but neither reach the greatness of ATLA except maybe season 3. A lot of potential just wasted with rushed seasons, bad writing, and whatever the fuck the fever dream that season 2 was.

Korten

Banned

It's animation is amazing and Season 3 is great...

But Korra has a shit ton of story issues and pacing issues. It feels as though they wrote for 24 episodes seasons and then tried to condense it down to 12~14 episodes and not sure what to remove. Korra's development for a while keeps going back and forth (hell her personality essentially is rebooted at the start of season 2.)

I liked Korra but overall it is a disappointed, outside Season 3. Doesn't help that Season 4 for the most part seems very tacked on and serves overall very little purpose imo.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I never gave a shit about Korra's companions. I only made it through a season and a half.

Every character on Avatar is better, even the ones who get barely any time on screen at all.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm still bummed we don't have the soundtrack released for Korra. If anything, the score dominates most of ATLA.

Oh look, its a shit on Korra thread.

Instead of just posting that, you can also come in and explain what Korra did better than ATLA, or why it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

Altazor

Thanks everyone for their opinions on Korra. Will keep my expectations in check when I finally start watching it.
Some random ramblings:

-On "The Great Divide": despite the weakness of the episode, I quite liked the difference in animation between the tribes' stories about how the feud began. It was an opportunity to spice things up and he sequences are both beautiful. Also, the resolution of the plot was so ridiculous and absurd that managed to kinda redeem the whole experience in a way. Fitting ending for a dumb episode.

-On "Avatar Day": this one's equally absurd, but manages to rise above thanks to the humor. Detective Sokka and Aang's Kyoshi impersonation are brilliant. It also features some honestly great moments like Avatar Kyoshi kicking ass.

-On "The Storm": This one was the first episode to make me feel like I was watching something far beyond a children's show. Emotional depth, parallel storylines, a glimpse of Zuko's tragic background and some dark, dark stuff... to follow it with "The Blue Spirit" was a great decision. Complements it so well, with both exciting set pieces and character progression in spades.

-On "The Blind Bandit": TOPH <3 What a character. Just seen her in that episode and it was enough for me to love her. A kickass blind girl that takes no shit from anyone, but also a victim of overprotective parents that refuse to let her child actually live the life she deserves... plus wrestling references. It's a testament to the quality of the staff behind the series that they managed to make a number of earthbenders have really different fighting styles and avoid a visual clusterfuck. Dunno how they did it, but they succeeded.

-On the Latin American dub: it was done here in Chile and it's great! Was amazed to discover that Aang's voice actor didn't look like a kid at all, lol. And Zuko's was like a 40 y.o. when the series first aired and I never noticed. It's a good cast.

Shanlei91

-On "The Blind Bandit": TOPH <3 What a character. Just seen her in that episode and it was enough for me to love her. A kickass blind girl that takes no shit from anyone, but also a victim of overprotective parents that refuse to let her child actually live the life she deserves... plus wrestling references. It's a testament to the quality of the staff behind the series that they managed to make a number of earthbenders have really different fighting styles and avoid a visual clusterfuck. Dunno how they did it, but they succeeded.

Best reference - The Boulder:

daHLKr8.png

Was voiced by wrestling star Mick Foley:

woLcE1y.jpg

GulAtiCa

When your done with TLA, try Legend of Korra. But keep expectations low, as won't be as good. But if you ignore season 2 (which you should), it's pretty decent with the last 2 seasons being excellent.

For Korra, watch season 1 (it's pretty decent, but pacing is kinda bad), skip 2 (really no need to see except for a few episodes like the 2-part episode that shows the 1st avatar) and watch season 3 & 4. Season 3/4 were and are excellence and makes up for anything in season 1 and esp the awful season 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom