• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
sony_logo_section.jpg

0315sony.jpg

I'll be making the other two tomorrow, this thread is early 'cause Sony's conference is a day earlier. THIS is the thread for the big one.

__________________________________________________________________________________

CONFERENCE TIMES
__________________________________________________________________________________

Note: Live feed available for all time zones at Gamespot

North American Pacific times:

May 8 - 4:00PM

North American Eastern times:

May 8 - 7:00PM

UK Times

May 9 - 12:00AM (Midnight)

Central European times:

May 9 - 1:00AM

Australia Western times:

May 9 - 7:00AM

Australia Eastern times:

May 9 - 9:00AM

Japan times:

May 9 - 8:00AM

WHAT CAN WE EXPECT?

I don't know. Cool shit though, I'd expect! Maybe even server crashing shit. HUGE shit! Small shit, shitty shit, disappointment shit, non-CG shit, actual CG shit, and other things in this sort of way.

Things have been pretty tight, the lid gotta pop sometime...

SUMMARY

● Sony today announced that PS3 will launch on November 11, 2006 in Japan in Clear black. A worldwide launch is still on. The PS3 will come with a 20gb, no-HDMI/no cardreader/no Wifi SKU for $499.99. It will also have a 60gb non-gimped PS3 sku for $599.99. The PS3 controller will have six-sense directional control as well, aka gyros for the wiimote crowd. (P, P, I)
● In a reel of first party games, Sony revealed a game called Afrika. Although the impressive graphics were easy to see, details on the game were quite a bit harder to make out. The video featured a bunch of highly detailed animals in an african savannah, going about their daily activity. And that was it.
● Also a part of their first party game reel, Sony showed off a game called Monster Kingdom. There's not many details on it... we see a weird guy with glasses, and he turns into an evil guy with no glasses.
● Resistance: Fall of Man, Insomniac's dream game, showed up to the party. Well, if you could call it a party. Check out the latest images. (L, I, I)
● Sony showcased Gran Turismo HD, which was essentially just GT4 rendered at 1080p resolution. It's nice and all, but it's not a PS3 game in the remotest sense. (L, I, I, I)
● You've all seen the CG version of Motorstorm from E3 2005, now check out it looks in real-time. I'd say it's a significant downgrade, but check it out. (L, I, I, I)
● It's probably buried beneath all the feet of the rampaging crying Sony fans, but Formula 1 is holding up nicely. Not quite as nice as before, but still pretty impressive. (L, I, I, I)
● I thought Singstar was only a Europe thing, so why do they keep showing it at American conferences? Well anyway, not much details on the title... but it'll have comprehensive online features and will apparently be quite robust. Check out the images. (L, I, I, I)
● Konami showed off a short teaser of its latest and greatest, Metal Gear Solid 4. It looked amazing - Old snake is still old, Raiden is a badass Ninja, Naomi, Campbell, etc... all sorts of nice cameos and spectacular events. And this is just the start, the 15 minute trailer comes later Tuesday!
(MGS4 Cam)
● Sony demoed the PSOne emulation on PSP. The first game they showed was Ridge Racer, and it seemed to run well enough.
● Sony showcased a new game from Naughty Dog, currently Untitled. It featured a man running through a jungle and dodging various things.
● Sony also showed a new game, from which the desert car and gas station tech demos were based on, called Eight Days. It looked really nice, except it was probably all CG.
● Heavenly Sword, the God of War-like action game from Ninja Theory, is looking spectacular. Even better in motion! While you're waiting for the video, check out the latest media. (L, I, I, I)
● Warhawk also made an appearance. You can see what it's like at the links, but not much has changed from GDC. (L, I, I, I)
● Square Enix announces Final Fantasy Versus XIII exclusively for PS3. It's being created by the team behind Kingdom Hearts 2 and will be an "extreme action game" that serves as a direct sequel to FFXIII. (L, I, I)
● Genji 2, Game Republic's Samurai action game, is coming to PS3. We already knew that, but, take a look at the new images. The link has tons more. (L, I, I, I)
● Richard Marks, the creator of the EyeToy, showed off his latest game idea, called Eye of Judgement. By placing a card down on a small sensor mat, you a 3D image of a monster or a item would appear. If you moved your card, the the image would also move alongside it. (L)
● Square Enix announces Final Fantasy XIII exclusively for PS3. The game features a female protagonist, who is seen flipping and flying around a city. The trailer was "entirely retail except for a short sequence of rendered footage showing a train." The game runs on the "White Engine", an all-new exclusive next-gen engine built for Square Enix's future. (L, I, I, I, V)
● Tekken 6 was shown as part of the third party game reel. Unfortunately, it looked very disappointing. I will post images and video as they become available.
(Cam)

● A quick five second video of Ridge Racer 7 was shown... not much to see from it. Vision 2010 and a car driving down a night city. (Cam)

Also: Cam footage of Sonic the Hedgehog

Lionheart

I think Central European Time should be May 9th 1:00 AM.

Anyway, thanks for doing another one of these threads.

For the second year in a row i'm going to be working the night of Sony's conference. Anyone have any idea how long it'll be before it'll be available for download?

Andy787

Banned
I hope Sony's got some massive shit planned. :) They've certainly got the quietest camp, and they know how to play the game better than anyone.

Aryuken

Banned
Andy787 said:
I hope Sony's got some massive shit planned. :) They've certainly got the quietest camp, and they know how to play the game better than anyone.

I think they are going to really focus on that network thing.

Wollan

Like David Jaffe said, 'Microsoft is fucking scared of us and they fucking should be. This E3 is going to be HUGE.'

Bring it on Sony. Bring it ON!

Forsete

Gold Member
Wollan said:
Like David Jaffe said, 'Microsoft is fucking scared of us and they fucking should be. This E3 is going to be HUGE.'

Bring it on Sony. Bring it ON!

This is the direct quote, its even better. ;)

“I’m excited to see how much fear exist in the eyes of Microsoft when they see the PS3. I think they are bringing diapers.”
- Jaffe

:lol Oh Jaffe, dont ever change.

Amir0x

Banned
Word is, Sony has secured some nice exclusives, one in particular which is pretty big! I hope it's as nice as they say.

Oneself

Forsete said:
This is the direct quote, its even better. ;)

“I’m excited to see how much fear exist in the eyes of Microsoft when they see the PS3. I think they are bringing diapers.”
- Jaffe

:lol Oh Jaffe, dont ever change.

:lol Best quote ever.

Stench

Banned
Forsete said:

Bernie Stolar, a former Sony executive, remembers Kutaragi asking him as early as 1994 where he thought the nascent PlayStation console's main competition would come from. Nintendo, Stolar guessed. Maybe Intel.

Kutaragi looked him squarely in the eyes. "No, Bernie, you are wrong," he said.

"It is Microsoft. And I will kill them."

kdawg.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Beezy said:
Damn, I don't know if I'll get home on time. How long is the conferance supposed to be?

As Sony conferences go, you never can tell... they tend to be loooooong 2 hour affairs

indie85

Banned
Altho id love to do an alnighter (UK), I have an exam the next morning so its gonna have to be watching a recording for me. Hope gamespot gets a good recording of it all.

gjb-sensei

Nintendo invented the pixel...
yjs666 said:
I think Sony forgot to mention in that ad that it's also butt ugly.

It looks better than the PS2, at least. (The original version, not the Slimline model.)

Ponn

Banned
kazkendoubleteam.jpg

*Crowd mumbling"

Kutaragi: "Ahem"

*Crowd quiets down*

Kutaragi: "$299 with 60GB HDD included. Suck it bitches."

*walks off*

7Th

Ponn01 said:
kazkendoubleteam.jpg

*Crowd mumbling"

*Crowd quiets down*

*walks off*

I already used that joke before. :(

GhaleonEB

Amir0x said:
Word is, Sony has secured some nice exclusives, one in particular which is pretty big! I hope it's as nice as they say.
Isn't there an announcement at the top of the forum about stuff like that? :p

Sticky this biatch, please.

Considering what Sony pulled off last year, this year should be huge. Assuming the realtime games deliver.

Aryuken

Banned
Bernie Stolar, a former Sony executive, remembers Kutaragi asking him as early as 1994 where he thought the nascent PlayStation console's main competition would come from. Nintendo, Stolar guessed. Maybe Intel.

Kutaragi looked him squarely in the eyes. "No, Bernie, you are wrong," he said.

"It is Microsoft. And I will kill them."

I don't like the guy, but if true....that is....wow.

Yamaha98

Ponn01 said:
kazkendoubleteam.jpg

*Crowd mumbling"

*Crowd quiets down*

*walks off*

*Xbox 360 floor

*Allard: Screw this shit, I quit.

Elios83

I'm going to have a heart attack if both FFXIII and FFVII remake are annonced/shown :D
Anyway I hope it will be a solid if not spectacular show :lol :lol

Amir0x

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Isn't there an announcement at the top of the forum about stuff like that? :p

Sticky this biatch, please.

Considering what Sony pulled off last year, this year should be huge. Assuming the realtime games deliver.

I didn't sign no NDA ho!

I think Sony really wants to differentiate itself with some key Western games, really show it means business. Because with online and other random games playing such a huge role for PS3/360/Wii, they gotta get some nice titles.

But that's just what I hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom