• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's next handheld will be based on the resolution of the XL model, right?

The 3DS is a great console, but older gamers who require the use of the XL to actually game comfortably can't deny the fact that the screen is legitimately worse than the smaller model. Now, I have it on pretty good authority that the XL has been more successful than the small model, yes? At least in America. Keeping this in mind, do you think it's far-fetched to assume that Nintendo's next handheld be designed with this in mind? What I'm getting at is if they're going to release two models, that if any of them are hampered in any way it would be the smaller model. I'd like to see the scope of handheld games boosted a little bit more using the added screen space.

Ultima_5

I honestly don't think you're talking about resolution

Which is weird cuz this forum constantly bitches about it so it's strange to get it wromg

All 3DSs have the same resolution.
But yeah, I can see the next handheld having a screen the size of the top 3DS XL one
only one screen

TheMoon

only one screen

tumblr_ll2linac0x1qb3p1co1_500.gif

Oregano

No because then they won't be able to sell an XL version.If anything they'll follow up the N3DS sixes and have them around 4 inches in the small one and 5 inches in the XL one.

TI82

Banned
All 3DSs have the same resolution.
But yeah, I can see the next handheld having a screen the size of the top 3DS XL one
only one screen

PLEASE!

The dual screen crap is so annoying and cumbersome. There's a reason, for me, the best handhelds of all time go GBA and then PSP.

bomblord1

Banned
Op I'm a bit confused by what you are trying to say. You seem to be using screen size and resolution interchangeably.

What does "putting the extra screen space to use" imply in your mind?

fernoca

The XL has the same redolution of the smaller units. If anything, the next handheld might have a screen that size...but a higher resolution.

Astral Dog

sörine;151067462 said:
Size perhaps. Resolution will probably be 480p or 540p. 720p if we get a miracle.

Im expecting some 480p goodness, if we get more than that it would be a nice surprise

watershed

Banned
There is no way in hell Nintendo's next handheld will be 400X240 again. It's already terrible looking, it will make an even worse impression 2 years from now.

sörine;151067462 said:
Size perhaps. Resolution will probably be 480p or 540p. 720p if we get a miracle.

I would think some 720p or even 1080p would be cheaper to get then lower resolution, because those are widely used in other devices. Atleast in PC monitors most widely used resolution monitors are the cheapest also.

BUT THIS IS ALL PULLED OUT OF MY ARSE! So dont take it as a fact, I might be wrong and would like to know from someone that is more into the display manufacturing would tell more.

sörine

Banned
Im expecting some 480p goodness, if we get more than that it would be a nice surprise
480p autostereoscopic would be better for backwards compatibility but 540p would work better if they're sharing games with a 1080p console. I'm expecting one or the other though.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
They are STILL going to make more handhelds?

Why keep fighting the inevitable?

Aren't handhelds in their twilight era?

Nintendo sold 50m of them this gen. That's nowhere near as good as the DS (What is?) but its far better than their main console performance.

Comandr

sörine;151067462 said:

If the next handheld is not at least 720p when it inevitably releases in 2016 or whatever, I will lose my shit.

Busaiku

Releasing something at less than 720p would probably cost Nintendo more money in this day and age.
If they actually do that, it will be completely apparent they have no idea what they're doing.

Oregano

My fucking mobile phone is 1080/60, so I don't see why Nintendo can't manage that.

We've had this conversation repeatedly recently but pushing graphically intensive games at 1080p is something the Xbox One struggles with, nevermind a handheld.

TI82

Banned
Releasing something at less than 720p would probably cost Nintendo more money in this day and age.
If they actually do that, it will be completely apparent they have no idea what they're doing.

Kind of like still using resistive touchscreens. So surprised they found a factory to even make those.

Producer

My fucking mobile phone is 1080/60, so I don't see why Nintendo can't manage that.

well if they released yearly iterations with the latest technology then maybe they would reach that point. but a handheld has to be cheap and be viable for 4-6 years.

Stevey

We've had this conversation repeatedly recently but pushing graphically intensive games at 1080p is something the Xbox One struggles with, nevermind a handheld.

lol, as if the Wii-U is graphically intensive, let alone the 3DS

How much does that cost off contract?
About £500 at release(2 years ago).

Eww, did you buy your phone like 3 years ago or something?

Nearly 2 years ago, why?
Is there a phone which has a better display? I don't really follow phone tech.

How much does that cost off contract?

Well, to be fair, the Asus Zenfone 2 comes out next month with a 1080p screen and very good specs for $200 off-contract. And the 4DS probably won't be out until next year.

Not that Nintendo should put a 1080p screen on their handheld. That would be stupid. The PS4 has trouble getting games to 1080p native; there's no way in hell Nintendo's handheld is going to be pumping out games at 1080p native.

TI82

Banned
In 2011, resistive touchscreens weren't that crazy.

Yes they were, I haven't seen any other resistive touchscreens tech in the wild (other than Nintendo stuff!) in soooo long. I really hope they don't use it again but of course they will.

Oregano

lol, as if the Wii-U is graphically intensive, let alone the 3DS

I uhh... what? The point is not going with a 1080p won't be because they "can't manage it" it'll be because having a handheld game run at 1080p will mean either simplistic games or sub-native res games. The 3DS successor could probably easily run 3DS games at 1080p but they'll presumably be aiming higher.

Stevey

I uhh... what? The point is not going with a 1080p won't be because they "can't manage it" it'll be because having a handheld game run at 1080p will mean either simplistic games or sub-native res games. The 3DS successor could probably easily run 3DS games at 1080p but they'll presumably be aiming higher.

So the hardware won't be able to manage it then?

Meffer

Fair enough, but surely it'll be closer to 1080 than 240
Nintendo follows a certain philosophy. Which is using old tech in a new or different ways. They find older tech for cheap and do cool things with them for their handhelds. They've done this since the GameBoy and onward and it has always benefitted them and consumers. Unless they find super cheap 1080p screens they won't use a 1080p, let alone two. It's more than likely they'll go for 480p.

Dunkley

Pretty sure it's gonna be roughly around somewhere like 800x480.

Two 480p screens seem realistic and backwards compatibility would be a non issue.

Nearly 2 years ago, why?
Is there a phone which has a better display? I don't really follow phone tech.

I was joking, but yes. All flagships were shipping with resolutions higher than 1080p I believe as of last year or the year before last. The standard moves really fast, with 2K/4K likely being the darling for flagships this year.

LeleSocho

Banned
People that say "I will flip their shit if Nintendo's next handheld doesn't have at least a 720p screen" understand nothing about hardware.

For the last fucking time. anything can do 60 fps. The 3DS has 60fps games, I could have a PC with 3 GTX titan blacks 32 gbs of ram and thee best cpu on the market and someone could still design a game that could only run at 10fps on it.

Top Bottom