• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh, High Voltage. You bunch of miserable hacks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the webm not showing up?

He replayed that section twice and both times it played out exactly like the start of that clip. To say it's laziness is being too kind, that shit is completely unacceptable.

Oh I see! I thought it was some in-progress thing for a new DLC. Yeah, that's pretty bad in that case then. Hope it gets fixed.

TheMoon

Is the webm not showing up?

He replayed that section twice and both times it played out exactly like the start of that clip. To say it's laziness is being too kind, that shit is completely unacceptable.

Dear lord, stop with this "laziness" bullshit. Devs aren't lazy. There are issues with time, resources, budgets, people, communication, and skills. Nobody is sitting in a studio looking at a build twiddling thumbs going "naaah, a minute of Metal Mario cutscene glitch is fine, I don't feel like walking over to the programmers to tell them to fix it, now let's play some table tennis!"

You know what is lazy? Calling out devs for being lazy.

jem0208

See, this is why the gaming community gets such a bad rep. Calling devs "miserable hacks" and "lazy" for a bit of just ridiculous.

Springy

Dear lord, stop with this "laziness" bullshit. Devs aren't lazy. There are issues with time, resources, budgets, people, communication, and skills. Nobody is sitting in a studio looking at a build twiddling thumbs going "naaah, a minute of Metal Mario cutscene glitch is fine, I don't feel like walking over to the programmers to tell them to fix it, now let's play some table tennis!"

Aren't High Voltage responsible for the ZOE ports last gen, too?

I wouldn't call them lazy, but there does seem to be a pattern emerging.

Yes, because this is the first time High Voltage have put out a garbage port. Once is perhaps somewhat acceptable and excusable. Twice? That shit is lazy.

See, this is why the gaming community gets such a bad rep. Calling devs "miserable hacks" and "lazy" for a bit of just ridiculous.

Is it wrong to call a developer whose work appears lazy a hack?

Rafterman

Banned

Agreed. It's a bug, not the end of the world.

I also think lazy should be a banned term around here. If anything is lazy it's people who use this tired ass argument every time they want to bitch about a game. No, it's not lazy, you are for being so boring and predictable.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Meh, I dunno why I thought this would be a thread about how MK9 and Injustice pc ports are ass(although they're improved now but still some issues)

TlXzidr.jpg

Not there clearly wasn't enough time.

Yes, because this is the first time High Voltage have put out a garbage port. Once is perhaps somewhat acceptable and excusable. Twice? That shit is lazy.

Perhaps there is a problem with the business of the studio, eg unreasonable demands or constraints, understaffed, etc. A development studio is more than a bunch of developers writing code between grooming their neck beards.

It's...a bug? I've put something like 30 hours into this game and the DLC and never ran into anything close to this.

Volition has been pretty responsive to some of the glitches and complaints with the port, at least in my experience with them. They've told me they have their QA team looking into these things, so here's hoping.

I think random hard locks and the "entire wardrobe suddenly disappears" glitch are far more annoying and pervasive.

Saints Row can be trippy so I initially thought that was intentional until I remember this is a cutscene I've seen before. They could fix that. Is it just this cutscene?

I also think lazy should be a banned term around here. If anything is lazy it's people who use this tired ass argument every time they want to bitch about a game. No, it's not lazy, you are for being so boring and predictable.

while we're at it, can we throw in 'buttery smooth' & 'whisper quiet'? :) ...

Jackpot

Banned

So long as we can replace it with "talentless", "incompetent", "half-assed" or plain old "shit".

TheMoon

Aren't High Voltage responsible for the ZOE ports last gen, too?

I wouldn't call them lazy, but there does seem to be a pattern emerging.

Sure, they're primarily a port house. With all the inherent issues that entails. This thread still reeks of ignorance and unnecessary hostility.

MechaX

So wait a minute, if someone were to critique alone these lines, it would be more accurate to say that they have poor time management skills, not enough manpower, have poor communication skills, are under-skilled generally, or incompetent rather than lazy?

In this instance, yes. A hack is somebody whose work is routine, commercial, banal etc. You're talking about poor work that doesn't function as intended. That's also the only thing you know for sure about it; that the result is incompetent, not that the people that created it are lazy.

Myriadis

So wait a minute, if someone were to critique alone these lines, it would be more accurate to say that they have poor time management skills, not enough manpower, have poor communication skills, are under-skilled generally, or incompetent rather than lazy?
All of them sound better than "Lazy".

_machine

You do realize it's not just up to them? They were paid a certain amount, most likely not enough to make a really good port (but it's hard to turn those deals down when it's about feeding your family and keeping your company alive) and for example they can't control the release date or post-launch support. Go blame the publisher and the share-holders if you're not happy, but don't blame the people that have worked crazy amounts of hours and sacrificed parts of their personal life to make these games happen and make them as good as they can get within the limitations they have had.

In this instance, yes. A hack is somebody whose work is routine, commercial, banal etc. You're talking about poor work that doesn't function as intended. That's also the only thing you know for sure about it; that the result is incompetent, not that the people that created it are lazy.

Perhaps incompetent is the better word to use in this case, but I feel the word hack is acceptable in reference to High Voltage considering their past work.

As a developer, and I mean this, fuck you.

And that's fair enough if you feel my insulting a developer's poor work is worthy of such a response.

As a developer, would you be happy putting your name on such an inferior product?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Perhaps incompetent is the better word to use in this case, but I feel the word hack is acceptable in reference to High Voltage considering their past work.
And how exactly have you ascertained that the reason the game are the way they are is because of High Voltage?

And how exactly have you ascertained that the reason the game are the way they are is because of High Voltage?

Because the previous release of this content on 360 was fine and this release, developed by HV, isn't?

I also factored in their previous work on ZOE to reach such a conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom