• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Xbox One's RGB output still broken?

Lima

Like seriously how is this still a thing? The Xbox One has been out for a year and 3 months now and this issue is still not fixed. The last time we heard someone acknowledging it was sometime around last year when a thread like this popped up and Albert Penello said that he forwarded the issue to the right team or something.

The Xbox does not send a correct signal with either limited or full. It still displays 0-16 and 235-255 with it set to limited which is totally wrong and doesn't display the lower end black values at all where it should with full rgb output. It seems like they either don't care to include this easy fix in the monthly updates they do or someone responsible for this mess likes their blacks crushed like I like my ice.

Krakn3Dfx

Probably hardware at this point, right?

I've seen a few games that managed to fix it, but at the expense of a more washed out image, and for anything going through the HDMI-in, it's horrible.

RowdyReverb

Lower priority fix because it's a less visible upgrade than adding features like screenshots. A small niche of Xbox One owners irritated by it will be placated and nobody else will notice unless it's pointed out to them.

I agree that it's annoying, especially in dark scenes in games, but I think it's just on the back burner for now.

Foxix Von

Was the 360 the same way?
Not sure if its the same issue as I don't own a bone. The 360 however, does not send incorrect RGB color values IIRC.

Its problem is rather that the system's gamma curve is completely fucky.

I believe that the broken gamma curve is still an issue in the XB1, along side non functioning RGB settings.

Isn't it only when a game uses the console's scaler chip?

I've never noticed it in a single 1080p game, so it sounds like a hardware issue.

Lima

I doubt they'll actually fix anything considering how Albert Penello seemed to think it's a user fault and one of the latest updates added a disclaimer when switching to PC RGB.

Yes. Someone there must really love this look.

Wait really? They took the time to implement this disclaimer but not just fix the issue at hand? Wow. And guys no it's not just when the scaler is used. Everything is clipped when using full rgb. Some developers are accounting for this though like they did on the 360 which made the gamma issue on 360 unfix able later on in its life because it would have fucked up how many games looked.

LCGeek

formerly sane
This is the from the same company whose operating system is junk on this issue as well. Personally they don't care enough and consumers basically agree color accuracy or proper output is for suckers.

last part was a joke

Shin-Ra

Isn't it only when a game uses the console's scaler chip?

I've never noticed it in a single 1080p game, so it sounds like a hardware issue.
Yeah its when MS scaler is used it crops up.
Nope.

Rayman Legends (no upscale)

Highlights are also clipped.

PS4
ibmi7QPf7LJpK8.png
ib20GOX6EEQGkW.png
XBO

PS4
iPJd4wEsmIXtc.png
iXLehcokDlJUq.png
XBO

Izuna

Banned
Sunset Overdrive then included a new patched setting which allowed us to fix the crushed blacks (good enough).

We heard that the latest SDK made RGB Full work better.

From now, I haven't noticed it harming any recent releases the way it used to.

I personally find CodAW unplayable on Full however.

Three

Like seriously how is this still a thing? The Xbox One has been out for a year and 3 months now and this issue is still not fixed. The last time we heard someone acknowledging it was sometime around last year when a thread like this popped up and Albert Penello said that he forwarded the issue to the right team or something.

The Xbox does not send a correct signal with either limited or full. It still displays 0-16 and 235-255 with it set to limited which is totally wrong and doesn't display the lower end black values at all where it should with full rgb output. It seems like they either don't care to include this easy fix in the monthly updates they do or someone responsible for this mess likes their blacks crushed like I like my ice.

As far as I remember, and I could be remembering wrong, Penello was suggesting it was fixed when it clearly wasn't. At this point I assume it is actually intentionally like this rather than a bug. I assume it is some kind of compressed render target that crushes blacks, something to save on bandwidth. I would love a detailed explanation but I don't think we will ever get that. In fact DF barely even notice these minute details to investigate. One thing I have noticed for example that DF have not touched upon at all is what the XB1 does with display planes. On a couple of games now (GTA5 and NFS rivals for example) I've noticed that the UI is smaller (as in not on the edges of the screen like PC/PS4). One theory I have for this is that it is using a lower res centered display pane for the UI in comparison, for bandwidth savings.

Was the 360 the same way?

Don't know if it is the same underlying problem but the 360 had a piecewise linear approximation for a gamma curve and it often meant you got some odd looking results that did not match gamma 2.2.

A good read about it here

http://filmicgames.com/archives/14

Shin-Ra

Did Richard Leadbetter ever follow up on these comments?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-titanfall-next-gen-face-off
The only other major difference is a skewed gamma ramp on Xbox One, introducing black crush into the image, robbing it of some of the subtle detail you see in the PC game. We understand that this could be an issue in how the Xbox One blends its multiple display panes and would be more of an issue in upscaled games, and we're quite surprised that Microsoft hasn't sought to address this yet.

I doubt they'll actually fix anything considering how Albert Penello seemed to think it's a user fault and one of the latest updates added a disclaimer when switching to PC RGB.

I figured PC RGB is the equivalent to full. While TV RGB is equivalent to RGB limited. So i set my TV to full, and then put my xbox on PC.

This is not correct?

I figured PC RGB is the equivalent to full. While TV RGB is equivalent to RGB limited. So i set my TV to full, and then put my xbox on PC.

This is not correct?
Here is the test. Look at this image on your Xbone through Internet Explorer or whatever.
sr0pcxh.jpg

Do you see 4 distinct columns or just a white box and a black box?

Here is the test. Look at this image on your Xbone through Internet Explorer or whatever.
sr0pcxh.jpg

I only see two big boxes. One white and one black.

What the fuck? PC should mean rgb range full. My samsung's black level is set to normal [high].

What should I do? should i set my black level to low and then change my xbox to 'tv'?

RdN

It really sucks.. Specifically since I'm pretty sure Microsoft sees this as a good thing, thus it'll never be fixed.

Mugatu

I know I prefer the Xbox's visuals and I think so do most people (actually I assume they do) so it's not going to be "fixed."

I didn't know this was a thing...

First I learn that Nvidia didn't fix this in their GPUs until very recently...

There was a similar thread about this for PS4 yesterday...

And it sounds like XBox One has the worst case of it...

98b39b21ff008afaa5cba1e79fc611b2ddb64b3f44f57e792397c517768f4433.jpg

Hypron

sr0pcxh.jpg

That's weird, on my macbook pro I can see the white and clear grey just fine, but on the otherside I just see a black box.

It's not broken. Devs just need to adjust to the different gamma curve. CoD and Saints Row are the only recent offenders, so most devs seem to have a grasp on it now.

Lima

No the iPhone and iPad are not crushing. Are you guys blind?

Also again no it's not fixed. Stop saying this.

Thrakier

Crushed blacks are the usp of xbox. At least in the us. Was the same for the 360 as well. They won't change it.

Wait really? They took the time to implement this disclaimer but not just fix the issue at hand? Wow. And guys no it's not just when the scaler is used. Everything is clipped when using full rgb. Some developers are accounting for this though like they did on the 360 which made the gamma issue on 360 unfix able later on in its life because it would have fucked up how many games looked.

wouldn't fixing this issue make all the older games gamma look blown out due to being developed with the old values?

I only see two big boxes. One white and one black.

What the fuck? PC should mean rgb range full. My samsung's black level is set to normal [high].

What should I do? should i set my black level to low and then change my xbox to 'tv'?

nvidia cards are known to not display full RGB. you might have to use a third party tool to get it working.

It's not broken. Devs just need to adjust to the different gamma curve. CoD and Saints Row are the only recent offenders, so most devs seem to have a grasp on it now.

Why do devs have to adjust to this fuckery? It shouldn't be an issue in the first place. This has been happening since the 360 days.

Leyasu

Banned
On TV I see t he boxes, on PC just white and black.

But on PC, when I go back to the dashboard and there's just the small screen with the colour test inside. When I press say the settings tile, for a split second I could see all the different colours within the box. Software problem??

Please someone try it.

Top Bottom