• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Issues One Year Ban To Baldur’s Gate 3 Player For Capturing Gameplay Clips | Larian is Investigating weird issues of the Xbox version

Draugoth

Gold Member
Update:

• Save issues continue to plague Baldur's Gate 3 on Xbox Series X/S despite a recent patch that was supposed to fix the problem.
  • Director of Publishing Michael Douse has addressed concerns and assures fans that the issue is being investigated and taken seriously.
  • Xbox players are disappointed by the reports of deleted save files, especially during the holidays when they want to dive into the deep RPG experience.

Xbox has issued a one year ban to a player for capturing gameplay clips from Larian Studios’ role-playing game, Baldur’s Gate 3.

The Xbox player in question, who goes by the name of Daddy-Vegas on Reddit, shared that they received a ban for recording three gameplay clips during their session with Baldur’s Gate 3. Each of the clips included footage from a camp scene involving nudity and sexual interactions between the game’s characters.

The Reddit user pointed out that, by default, Xbox uploads all captured gameplay clips to its server for easy access and sharing. Each clip that had been uploaded counted as a different infraction, and Xbox ended up issuing a one year ban to their account. They have since turned to the appeal process, hoping that the decision to ban their account can be reversed upon inspection. As of now, they can’t play any game that requires a network connection. They mentioned that they had invested a lot of time and money in Call of Duty over the last 6 months, and the continued ban would make it all worthless.

Xbox player ban baldur's gate 3

Source 1
Source 2

Last edited:

graywolf323

I did a quick Google search and found results on Microsoft’s support forums as far as back as 2016 for issues with stuff like this, it’s really just so stupid that they ban people for recording footage from games that they sell digitally… it’s all part of their “family online safety” enforcement

Damn, some of the more naughty screenshots I took while playing Cyberpunk 2077 have auto-uploaded on the Xbox network . Hopefully I won't be banned as well lol.
might wanna take those down from the Xbox network just to be safe

I did a quick Google search and found results on Microsoft’s support forums as far as back as 2016 for issues with stuff like this, it’s really just so stupid that they ban people for recording footage from games that they sell digitally… it’s all part of their “family online safety” enforcement

might wanna take those down from the Xbox network just to be safe
Yeah, I've deleted them all a few hours ago after I saw the news about this 1 year ban on reddit lol (ofc, first I've posted them here on gaf :p).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Banned for a whole year?

Matthew Broderick GIF

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't get it. From my experience it's easy to understand in the UI whether you upload clips to Xbox servers or only locally.
Getting many infractions on this without reacting seems unnecessary.

ManaByte

Gold Member
That’s pretty heavy handed. Not allowed to capture gameplay recorded of one of your own games? Just because it has nudity?

Does PlayStation have a similar policy?
Yes, Jaffe got hit for a Ratchet capture he posted where he called Rivet a lesbian.

You can capture stuff, just don’t be an idiot and share it publicly. Turn off auto sharing.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Yes, Jaffe got hit for a Ratchet capture he posted where he called Rivet a lesbian.

You can capture stuff, just don’t be an idiot and share it publicly. Turn off auto sharing.

not quite the same, people have gotten banned from XBL for screenshots & video without there being any commentary, just in-game content

Jaffe got banned (admittedly it’s dumb but still) for something he said in the capture, not something solely from the game

graywolf323

He made a thumbnail that said Rivet is a lesbian and used that as his thumbnail on PSN. That’s what he got banned for.
okay, still dumb but that’s still something he did as a user not solely from sharing in-game content like what happens on XBL

also I’d say that’s more dumb on Jaffe’s part than PSN in this case since that’s a public facing thing instead of just a capture that got up on the server, he had to know that would get him in trouble 🤦🏼‍♂️

xrnzaaas

Turn off auto-upload. MS can't ban you for having the captures locally on your drive (at least not yet ;)).

If the game was allowed onto the store then unmodified captures shouldn't be checked for forbidden content in any way. But yeah, this is Microsoft and their idiotic morals. You can show blood & guts, but showing some sexual content warrants an instant strike.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

They have to find a better way with this, at least for content that comes straight from the games they sold on the store. Some way of stopping them from being shown to users with parental controls set below the rating of the game, etc. Combined with maybe getting flagged for a warning (maybe a friend has to click a link to continue because the content could be objectionable - similar to what Twitter does) and de-prioritized from any type of public sharing.

If you allowed the game to be sold, it seems wrong to ban users for taking a screenshot of that content.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
This save stuff is really bad, but I guess that with the cloud save from the game server is kinda nice

And about those bans, most people puts sex bullshit, so chances are that some of thoss deserve it. Sometimes don't, and I'm really afraid that we are closer than ever to a Demolition Man world

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It seems like a crazy policy to me, I A) don't know what my capture settings are - do they store locally or to the cloud? and B) wasn't aware that capturing footage of the wrong part of a game could get me banned.

I think Microsoft need to work out a better system here. I presume it's entirely possible that the guy could have made the offending captures in quick succession, effectively creating the circumstances he was banned for before he even received a warning for the first clip.

Default setting uploads it to the cloud, so if you accidentally hit the save/share button during a sex scene you’ll save it, have it uploaded and get a warning.

It’s so dumb, but from an automated moderation perspective it’s difficult to determine what content is just gameplay and what’s user behaviour. E.g a scripted sex scene vs teabagging another player.

What they should do is instead of punishing the uploader for sharing it (the default setting!) just flag that content and make it private so nobody else can see it.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Default setting uploads it to the cloud, so if you accidentally hit the save/share button during a sex scene you’ll save it, have it uploaded and get a warning.

It’s so dumb, but from an automated moderation perspective it’s difficult to determine what content is just gameplay and what’s user behaviour. E.g a scripted sex scene vs teabagging another player.
Automatic moderation should only apply to captures from online games. You won't catch everything that way, but you're more likely to avoid striking/banning innocent people.

MikeM

I don’t get it. Can someone elaborate why people are getting bans for using a console feature on a console game?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don’t get it. Can someone elaborate why people are getting bans for using a console feature on a console game?
Because they are sharing content publicly from that game which is inappropriate for the audience they are sharing it with. Of course the problem mainly arises because MS have auto-share turned on as default so they can garner those social media hits and a lot of people aren't going to realize that when they capture something it goes straight to the cloud.

BlackTron

Because they are sharing content publicly from that game which is inappropriate for the audience they are sharing it with. Of course the problem mainly arises because MS have auto-share turned on as default so they can garner those social media hits and a lot of people aren't going to realize that when they capture something it goes straight to the cloud.

Precisely, thread over.

Any kid can go into Barnes and Noble. But you can't grab a snippet from a romance novel and plaster it somewhere in the store.

But imagine if you saved a snippet for yourself, but B&N detected it and automatically put it in their store for all kids to see without you knowing. Thereby banning you from entering again for one year.

Hello XBOX

MikeM

Seems like an easy fix from a system level.

Game rated M? Force confirmation prior to uploading. Banning people is a good way to get people away from Xbox.

Garibaldi

The system shouldn't allow you to record segments of gameplay that are deemed against sharing rules. The player is not at fault here if the tools are flawed.

• Recording and sharing allowed (U for Universal)
  • Recording allowed (18 only)
  • Recording not allowed (sweaty bear lovin)

TransTrender

Gold Member
So there's something on the MS side scrubbing all your uploaded content looking for ToS violations?
What the fuck?
Is this real?

rapid32.5

MS has been too busy counting money, instead of doing proper playtesting the game and blaming gamers for their fault.

So there's something on the MS side scrubbing all your uploaded content looking for ToS violations?
What the fuck?
Is this real?
Just assume everything you post online or say in front of your phone/alexa whatever will, if not now, eventually be scanned for offensive content. It's not as if this trend will go backwards. Remember: we are too dumb and ignorant to be trusted with our own thoughts.

Last edited:
Looks like Xbox Support has responded on the BG3 ban situation.

To provide clarity on Baldur's Gate 3 mature content enforcement actions, Xbox account suspensions are not automatic. Each clip is reviewed by a moderator and, if found in violation of our safety and content policies, actioned accordingly.

Our team evaluates appeals and can reverse suspensions if action was taken in error. If this was a first offense, for example, we will remove the suspension and let players know why it happened and how to avoid future issues (e.g. how to turn off auto-upload when sensitive content is being captured).

For how to turn off auto-upload, please visit: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help...-socialize/capture-game-clips-and-screenshots

dem

Are these the clips that are recorded when you hit the share button?

I think every clip or screenshot I've ever taken has been by accident

Last edited:
Top Bottom