• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happen to Tales of Zestiria in Japan ? (Amazon score 1.6/5)

zeromcd73

So many people have sold their game back to amazon that you now don't even get 100 yen ($1) if you sell them your game.

562c6c49.jpg

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The best part is that the heroine in question isn't even that interesting and the game itself is quite good.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
A character heavily advertised as the main heroine from when the game was first announced slowly became less involved in marketing then when the game drops she's only in your party for a certain period of time. The time she's with you depends on the player but yeah she's not with you for long in the story. Japan got MAD and raged at Kosuke Fujishima about it on Twitter and he actually took a break from it because he only designed a female who replaced Alisha.

Also all of Alisha's costumes go to Rose too. loool.

A character heavily advertised as the main heroine from when the game was first announced slowly became less involved in marketing then when the game drops she's only in your party for a certain period of time. The time she's with you depends on the player but yeah she's not with you for long in the story. Japan got MAD and raged at Kosuke Fujishima about it on Twitter and he actually took a break from it because he only designed a female who replaced Alisha.

Oh. Lol wow.

WTH?!!

Never expected that. I was really excited for this game.

It's not that big a deal. The DLC pack will be free for a period of time, if they follow the same format; it's just that Japan isn't used to this kind of thing, particularly with the character in question's role in the story.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Isn't this like the Dragon Quest IX - Amazon situation?

Looks like Bamco realized they could make a mint off of their waifu but the fans didn't want to get nickeled and dimed. Good on the fans for not letting shitty DLC practices ruin their experience.

That's right, EA and Mass Effect 3, I'm fucking calling you out.

Shengar

Quoting myself from the MC thread
Waifu wars
To be serious, they push a character to be the main heroine at the initial reveal, to the point giving her a non-scaled pre painted figure with the highest detail of fine craftsmanship from Alter, only to relegated later to almost NPC in the final game.
From what I read in the import thread though, the game itself is good. It's mainly because Alisha I think>

I don't know that the shitstorm is worse that that :eek:

Also the bolded part lololol

It's not that big a deal. The DLC pack will be free for a period of time, if they follow the same format; it's just that Japan isn't used to this kind of thing, particularly with the character in question's role in the story.

I was talking about rating of the game.

Really low scores.

This whole tragedy is even more funny when you remember that 6 months sooner, another japanese RPG (Oreshika 2 for PS Vita) was trashed in the same way, but it was because a female character was basically... too much omnipresent story-wise and gameplay-wise.

Gematsu had an in-depth look about this.

From what I hear, the game is actually good. It's just that people are mad that a character that was advertised is barely in the game and now in DLC land.

It's kind of crazy but Alicia getting replaced by Rose early on in the game is where a lot of the frothing anger is coming from.

I've heard the game also has some technical issues (slowdown, battle camera that wigs out in small spaces and next to walls, for instance), but most of the discussion seems to stem from Alicia and her DLC. Which is disappointing, but not entirely unexpected from this company. I'm still pretty excited for the game, but I'm kinda twiddling my thumbs and hoping they make a version for PS4 with the DLC included as well.

This sounds stupid and discouraging developer doing anything unconventional for party member.

I follow someone on tumblr who was posting about the game, sometimes addressing this and she said there are story-based reasons for Alicia not leaving to tromp all over the world with the other characters, too. She also addressed some concerns with how the party members handle her leaving and apparently some players feel like they dissed Alicia, which is a misunderstanding of what was said. v(0_0)v

I'm not even sure what's so great about Alicia that so many people would be that upset. I dunno, maybe she's an A+ top tier character for the few hours she's in the party.

Mendrox

WTH?!!

Never expected that. I was really excited for this game.

Don't worry the japanese people are just mad because their waifu is only playable for about 5-7 hours. Game is still good and a step into the right direction. Soundtrack is very very good, graphics are okaish (fucking missing AA), battle system is cool, fields look good, story is very dark and better than most of the Tales of Games etc.

DLC is even for free the next two weeks and everything else is just bonus like every Tales of Game... Nothing bad.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Other than the DLC, general consensus seems to be that the story is ass and the battle cam is terrible. Waiting for it to hit the wagon
Story is a typical Tales fare and the battle cam, while sometimes problematic, hardly breaks the game.

zeromcd73

It just seemed to hit all the right points to piss Japanese fans off every day after release.

Opening song is released -> Where the hell is Alisha?
Game disk image -> Why is the circle in the middle of the disk covering Alisha's face?
Play the game -> WTF Bamco where is Alisha
Rose gets all her costumes -> QGUFGOFGOFGQ
Alisha DLC announcement -> F U Bamco
Promotional item description about Alisha changed from main heroine to character that appears -> I HATE YOU BAMCO

Mendrox

Story is a typical Tales fare and the battle cam, while sometimes problematic, hardly breaks the game.

Well multiplayer is just stupid 50% of the time. Dungeons are the worst thing ever and we cannot see shit... even by trying to switch the camera. :/

While I'd rather the character be fully playable without DLC, I'm glad that there's a bonus episode at least being offered, and that she's not completely left in the dust.

Plus it's initially free, so honestly this doesn't really seem like that big a deal to me.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Well multiplayer is just stupid 50% of the time. Dungeons are the worst thing ever and we cannot see shit... even by trying to switch the camera. :/
Well, I never played the multiplayer, so I can't say anything about that.
In single player the camera got really stupid maybe 5 times during my whole 35 hour playthrough.

Hexa

I believe they said no later than 6 months after Japanese release.

I'm personally hoping for a PS4 version in the west. Bamco did it with Godzilla and J-stars so I have hope!

This would make me very happy. Were the PS4 versions even released in Japan?

The real problem is a loss of goodwill that's pre much attributable to Bamco's producers and marketing/monetization guys. They learned nothing from Jojo and just trust the Tales brand to blot out anything but people are out for blood now. A lot of people got burned in Vesperia for 360

Don't most popular games get trash Amazon scores (in Japan)?

I don't think this means that much...

No, check other recent releases for comparison if you want. Zesteria is getting unevenly gouged even without the obviously trolling reviews

Isn't this like the Dragon Quest IX - Amazon situation?

DQIX debacle lasted a week or so, and it had a higher average (2-2.3); now it's sitting on 3. Also, it didn't collapse in the sales chart at all. In sum, those were trolls; here it seems there might be legitimate critiques.

Stuart444

I believe they said no later than 6 months after Japanese release.

I'm personally hoping for a PS4 version in the west. Bamco did it with Godzilla and J-stars so I have hope!

If a PS4 version happens, I wouldn't expect it til later than '6 months after the Japanese PS3 release'.

So many people have sold their game back to amazon that you now don't even get 100 yen ($1) if you sell them your game.

Also wow.

Top Bottom