• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happen to Tales of Zestiria in Japan ? (Amazon score 1.6/5)

Dunkley

The real problem is a loss of goodwill that's pre much attributable to Bamco's producers and marketing/monetization guys. They learned nothing from Jojo and just trust the Tales brand to blot out anything but people are out for blood now. A lot of people got burned in Vesperia for 360

What happened with JoJo?

True Fire

If Final Fantasy VII was released in 2015 it would probably get 1.6/5 reviews because of a lack of Aerith, honestly. Gamers today expect games to be conventional and can't handle their expectations not being met.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Other than the DLC, general consensus seems to be that the story is ass and the battle cam is terrible. Waiting for it to hit the wagon

I heard the story and characters are better than Xillia's and Graces'.

zeromcd73

What happened with JoJo?
Massive hype and promises and ended up being an absolute shit game.

There were so many return copies that retailers were selling the game for $5 two weeks after launch and were giving the game away for free for anyone who purchased a PS3.

Shengar

She's a cute oujosama who rather wants to be a knight than a princess. Also her seiyuu is good too, she kicks ass and was promoted as the main heroin.

She also had her own high detailed Alter figure.
I can imagine how many Tales fans take this matter seriously lololol

DNAbro

I honestly can't believe its just people being salty over their waifu.(ugh) It's an RPG, not a dating simulator.

Massive hype and promises and ended up being an absolute shit game.

There were so many return copies that retailers were selling the game for $5 two weeks after launch and were giving the game away for free for anyone who purchased a PS3.

Yep...still can't get rid of my import copy at a reasonable price. -_-

The real problem is a loss of goodwill that's pre much attributable to Bamco's producers and marketing/monetization guys. They learned nothing from Jojo and just trust the Tales brand to blot out anything but people are out for blood now. A lot of people got burned in Vesperia for 360

Bingo. That severance between what goodness the devs make and what Scamco brass won't learn to stop doing is getting drowned out by "MUH PANTSLESS WAIFU" and "I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH YOU KNOW ABOUT OUR CULTURE, BUT I'M AN EXPERT, AND HONOR AND SHAME ARE A HUGE PART OF IT REGUARDING VESPERIA ON PS3".

Hell, knowing player psychology, it'll help the game's dlc and overseas sales via devil's advocacy just from how frothing the hate is.

I honestly can't believe its just people being salty over their waifu.(ugh) It's an RPG, not a dating simulator.

imagine if the guy in your avatar was heavily marketed and promoted as a main character/party member in P5 and was given his own anime and had a cool figure and you grow attached to that character and look forward to kicking ass with him only to find out hes in the game for 1 hour.

I have no attachment to the tales series as a whole, but I get it lol.

Also I heard the game has way more problems than just a bait and switch character.

Wait.

Did I miss the part where Japanese gamers abandoned Final Fantasy XIII-2 in droves because it turned out you played as Lightning for a single chapter before Serah becomes the main character? (unless I missed some bits at the end, I haven't finished the game yet)

I mean, maybe Square did a better job of setting expectations about how XIII-2 would unfold, but the Zestiria situation basically sounds like crazytown to me.

BiggNife

They pulled an MGS2 style bait and switch. People were super fucking bitter when it turned out Snake wasn't the main protagonist of MGS2, and I don't see how this is any different. It doesn't matter that she's a female character or any of that "waifu" bullshit. She was promoted as the main protagonist and then it turned out she's not even in half the game and now Namco wants people to pay more money to play as her again. How is that not bullshit?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Why was everyone so fond of Alicia even before the release, to come to this point?

She's actually got a pretty good design and I don't really like Daigo Okumura's work.

And I like Fujishima's work more but Rose's design just comes across as detailed NPC more than anything:

toz_rose-600x857.jpg

Mendrox

I think I've seen you write heeoine and heroin before, is it some joke or do you really not know the difference?

It's a joke on my part. If you remember something like this then you would also know that it was always in relation to her. ;-)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
That's a realllly low bar to set with Grace

Well, Vesperia is considered (or thought to be) the best Tales game (and one of the much better JRPGs there too) so comparing all the other Tales game to it will make them look like crap, but Xillia is considered "up there" when it comes to story rankings I guess. Not sure how people will put Zestiria side by side with Vesperia though.

Kyoufu

Wait.

Did I miss the part where Japanese gamers abandoned Final Fantasy XIII-2 in droves because it turned out you played as Lightning for a single chapter before Serah becomes the main character? (unless I missed some bits at the end, I haven't finished the game yet)

I mean, maybe Square did a better job of setting expectations about how XIII-2 would unfold, but the Zestiria situation basically sounds like crazytown to me.

Yeah, XIII-2 pulls off the same shenanigans. Maybe FF fans just aren't as crazy.

Well, Vesperia is considered (or thought to be) the best Tales game

This is news to me. I thought Destiny was considered to be the best.

That Alicia DLC salt.

Wonder how that DLC will play out when they bring it to the west? Maybe free dlc considering how angry Japan was?

Exodist

Yeah, XIII-2 pulls off the same shenanigans. Maybe FF fans just aren't as crazy.

Unless I'm crazy I thought it was always said that Serah was the main character? When the game was initially announced I was never under the impression Lightning was ever the main character.

dramatis

It's probably because Lightning technically was in a game proper before she was ousted in 13-2, plus she was replaced by a typical genki girl dressed in new ostentatious fanservice outfit, so it's not like the dudes playing are going to complain.

FF fans are crazy about other things.

I think they were aiming to release it no more than 6 months after the Japanese launch. No specific date for NA/EU announced so far.

Tales of Tempest, but I think that was retroactively binned in the "not mainline" section.

I believe they said no later than 6 months after Japanese release.

I'm personally hoping for a PS4 version in the west. Bamco did it with Godzilla and J-stars so I have hope!

Thanks for the replies! Also hoping for a PS4 version :)

Mendrox

Well guys, don't be sad. Rose is the genki girl of the group and her Kamui forms look good too! She also has the best ass in the game and Lailah has jiggly boobs. And guess what? All the Tales of Zestiria girls are in the DLC episode! Rose also slaps Alisha! Nice.

SougoXIII

F2P style paid time reduction and the most bare bones story mode of any Jojo game ever, which is a pretty big crime for fan games. Also assy net code

Xillia too. Maybe it gets better further in but I lost interest fairly quickly

Oh I agree that Xillia's boring too but Grace is just outright offensive.

From what I read, the whole Alicia's fiasco relates to how she got shafted in the game: She's gone for 80% of the game, suddenly replace by a Mary Sue character that everyone seems to love and get hated on by the rest of the cast. All of her DLC got transfer to the new one and apparently her equipments are still buy-able at shops even though she's not even there to fight the final boss? The whole thing is just sloppy and adding in the Waifu factor make it obvious why this blown up in Namco's face. Hopefully they start paying attention to what goes in a Tales game next time.

Well guys, don't be sad. Rose is the genki girl of the group and her Kamui forms look good too! She also has the best ass in the game and Lailah has jiggly boobs. And guess what? All the Tales of Zestiria girls are in the DLC episode! Rose also slaps Alisha! Nice.

What, catfights? Now I have to read some spoilers to find out why.

Oh I agree that Xillia's boring too but Grace is just outright offensive.

From what I read, the whole Alicia's fiasco relates to how she got shafted in the game: She's gone for 80% of the game, suddenly replace by a Mary Sue character that everyone seems to love and get hated on by the rest of the cast. All of her DLC got transfer to the new one and apparently her equipments are still buy-able at shops even though she's not even there to fight the final boss? The whole thing is just sloppy and adding in the Waifu factor make it obvious why this blown up in Namco's face. Hopefully they start paying attention to what goes in a Tales game next time.

I have to agree that her equipment being sold in stores after she leaves is sloppy and kind of weird. Is it like upgrades for her stuff is sold after you'd have any need for it, or just the last items that you could have bought for her while she was in the party? With the former it really does sound even more like they had planned for her to be around longer but just kind of tossed her bit into paid DLC instead.

Mendrox

What, catfights? Now I have to read some spoilers to find out why.

Well I saw that in the last scan and it looked like Alisha got slapped... and Rose is standing in front of her... So it will happen. Alisha also gets a new outfit! So everything is alright.

Ralemont

not me
They pulled an MGS2 style bait and switch. People were super fucking bitter when it turned out Snake wasn't the main protagonist of MGS2, and I don't see how this is any different. It doesn't matter that she's a female character or any of that "waifu" bullshit. She was promoted as the main protagonist and then it turned out she's not even in half the game and now Namco wants people to pay more money to play as her again. How is that not bullshit?

Well the difference here is that MGS2 clearly had a thematic message going with that switch and it was brilliant. I'm not sure why they would market Alicia as a main character only for her to be sidelined. Perhaps they originally intended for the DLC to be paid but changed it to free after the backlash?

It's kind of crazy but Alicia getting replaced by Rose early on in the game is where a lot of the frothing anger is coming from.

I keep seeing the word replaced. Does this mean that she was meant to be with the group and later in development got replaced with another character. Or was this always intended and marketing and fan expectations created false expectations that looked like they were deceived upon launch?

Or do we not even know at this point? All in all this is pretty amusing at the moment.

zeromcd73

Bamco plz

SerTapTap

It just seemed to hit all the right points to piss Japanese fans off every day after release.

Opening song is released -> Where the hell is Alisha?
Game disk image -> Why is the circle in the middle of the disk covering Alisha's face?
Play the game -> WTF Bamco where is Alisha
Rose gets all her costumes -> QGUFGOFGOFGQ
Alisha DLC announcement -> F U Bamco
Promotional item description about Alisha changed from main heroine to character that appears -> I HATE YOU BAMCO

Oh wow, that's all super awful. I've never seen anything quite like it. It'd be like MGS2 having a Solid Snake side mission DLC

Mendrox

I keep seeing the word replaced. Does this mean that she was meant to be with the group and later in development got replaced with another character. Or was this always intended and marketing and fan expectations created false expectations that looked like they were deceived upon launch?

Or do we not even know at this point? All in all this is pretty amusing at the moment.

Well the trailer showed Alisha in scenes where as in the game she is missing (like a dragon battle) So I guess midway they shafted her and changed some things. :-(

dramatis

Except Rose isn't a Mary Sue character? The bitterness over Alisha poisoned any perceptions of Rose before players even properly learned about the character. The tumblr post you're sourcing from was revealed to have mistranslations and lack of understanding of the game mechanics, as well as a hefty dose of bias causing links between random things for blaming (such as the claim that the Kamui system reduced an 8-man party to a 6-man party).

Caronte

A character heavily advertised as the main heroine from when the game was first announced slowly became less involved in marketing then when the game drops she's only in your party for a certain period of time. The time she's with you depends on the player but yeah she's not with you for long in the story. Japan got MAD and raged at Kosuke Fujishima about it on Twitter and he actually took a break from it because he only designed a female who replaced Alisha.

Also all of Alisha's costumes go to Rose too. loool.

They should have got mad at Square Enix for FFXIII-2 too then.

Marketing originally had her front and center as the heroine. I think Baba said that was a mistake that the marketing department did on their own without really asking about how to present the character, but who knows.

The more I read about it, the more it seems like she got cut for whatever reason (although I will not that Alicia apparently has no way to access Kamui mode, which is very important and would limit what they could do with her in the game anyway).

Top Bottom