• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew is the best selling racing game released in Late 2014 (aka excluding Mario)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Also read "excluding Mario Kart".

Ubisoft said:
- A very good performance delivered by the two Assassin’s Creed® opuses, Far Cry® 4 and The Crew®, with respective sales of 10 million, 7 million and 2 million units (sell in).

- To date, The Crew has recorded the best sales for the racing games released in late 2014.
Source: https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsit...8ubisoft q3 fy15 english finaltcm99193920.pdf

as i mentioned in the npd thread, it debued to over 40%+ higher than Forza H 2 in it's debut month

NotLiquid

Kinda like showing up to a race where the first place has already ran laps around you and the competition just decided to give up early

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I remember creamsugar posting some number for it in a NPD thread and I was shocked at how high it was. Like almost 3 times as more as Bayonetta 2 if I remember correctly.

McDougles

Depending on when they mean for "late 2014." If they mean Oct-Dec 2014, well Forza Horizon 2 didn't even release in that timeframe. Just DriveClub.

How the hell do you write best x genre excluding this game?! It's like finishing 2nd in the Champions League final and saying they were the best team, excluding the one that beat them in the final in fineprint...

How the hell do you write best x genre excluding this game?! It's like finishing 2nd in the Champions League final and saying they were the best team, excluding the one that beat them in the final in fineprint...

I guess it would be more like we are the most famoues wrestling league excluding wwe
wrestling-coach.jpg

Considering it was the one racing game on the most platforms, I would have been shocked if it wasn't.

I'm not opposed to the Crew in theory but I really don't like that it's online only. Maybe make the sequel a normal game with an online component and maybe I'd get it.

Jb

Forza Horizon 2 and Driveclub must have done terribly then. Which is a shame, as at least FH2 seemed like a much better game than The Crew.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I mentioned in the npd thread, it debuted to over 40%+ higher than Forza H 2 in it's debut month.

As I said in the other Ubi thread, this game was sold on open world and social connectivity... and that is what the mainstream is buying these days. graphics for racing games has never been the primary seller for the broad base, only the simulation crowd. which is a minority in itself.

the biggest advantage The Crew had, other than positioning, was no Need for Speed this year.

What is "Late 2014"?

If it's just December then I can see it outselling Forza and DriveClub as they were released late September and early October.

ShinMaruku

I forgot those other games existed. >_>
But yeah "Aside from Mario kart" Which is why I will never give their pr releases any credence or notice.

elelunicy

Did Driveclub even hit one million? Seems like The Crew PS4 sku outsold it pretty easily, even though Driveclub had a two-month head start.

I am just going to say that MK isn't a racing game. Also it isn't a surprise since it was released on everything but mobile devices and Wii U.

Duxxy3

Shipped numbers after a huge advertising campaign. Real numbers may not even be close to that total.

Kazerei

Banned
not gonna lie, that surprises me. Multi console or not, I figured it would sell pretty poorly.

Yeah, it's easy to say in hindsight, of course it sold more 'cause it's multiplat. I figured PS4 owners would buy Driveclub, XBO owners would buy Forza, and nobody would buy The Crew.

QaaQer

Thats 2 million highly disappointed people Im sure.

Some people love it. Tom Chick (closest thing gaming has to a Roger Ebert) gave it his GOTY, emphasizing the freedom he felt. As he is a dude with stage 4 cancer, I respect the devs for making a game a guy like Tom enjoyed so much.

Top Bottom