• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It only took about 30 years, but I beat my first RPG*

Teggy

*When I say "RPG", I mean a party-based game where you do not actively make attacks and can't actively dodge or hide from attacks. I have beat plenty of what I classify as Action RPGs (ARPG) like Mass Effect, Morrowind and Torchlight.

A little history - the first turn-based RPGs I ever played were on the Apple ][e in the form of Phantasie and one of the early Wizardy games. I didn't get far in either. There was then a pretty huge (15 years?) gap in my game playing, when I finally picked up a PSX around 2000. One of the first games I picked up was FFVII, and I made it to the 3rd disc and then promptly failed to finish the game. This began a long string of RPGs that I would start (some quite a few times) and not finish. FFVIII, FFIX, FFX, FFXII, FFXIII, Fallout, KOTOR, Lost Odyssey, Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age Origins, etc.

Why wouldn't I finish them? A few different reasons, but most often because I would get to a difficult part and get frustrated or I would get distracted by something more exciting or that was going to take less time. In particular I often would not take the time to really figure out how to work the game's mechanics to be successful, such as FFXII's Gambit system.

Finally, I have taken my first big step towards RPG competence. The game that got me over the hump was Legend of Heroes - Trails in the Sky, and my complete time was about 47 hours.

So why was I able to finish it? The story and characters helped, but the biggest factor was honestly that it was easier than other RPGs, or at least had mechanics that made it easier for me to play. For example:
- Rather than force you to grind random encounters, all fights were voluntary, and fighting lesser mobs was generally part of the pathway to whatever boss you were heading to fight
- The level that you should be aiming for to fight the upcoming boss was communicated by the amount of xp you were getting in regular battles. When you saw that you were getting single digit xp for an encounter, you could start bypassing mobs and just move the story along
- Save anywhere
- The penalty for wiping was fairly minor. In a lot of RPGs if you wipe on a boss you have to go back to your previous save, which might mean traveling a long way or at least dealing with a bunch of cutscenes. Here, after wiping you are given the option to immediately try again.
- The mechanics were easy to understand. The method of using quartz to unlock spells is explained early in the game and it never really gets more complicated.

I tried my best at strategy by using certain spells and accessories. Sometimes it worked great, other times I scraped by. Sometimes I beat bosses by learning from my mistakes, other times I lucked out by the attacks the enemies used the 2nd or 3rd time around. I want to get better at these types of games by figuring out how to use the game's features to succeed, but beating one has at least given me a bit more confidence.

So where to next? I still have to beat a western RPG, and I have a DAO save prior to Christmas where I needed to finish up the Deep Roads, so I may go back to that. I also have tons of games I'd love to give another (or umpteenth) shot, like Fallout. I've also got a bunch of other JRPGs on my Vita, plus newer games like Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns. I'm hoping I can start a streak :)

BTW, when is the sequel to Legend of Heroes coming out? :(

mp1990

Banned
Congrats,i too never had finished a JRPG either,just beat my first one Saturday ! You should try Persona 3 or 4,one of the best experiences i've ever had in gaming.

cireza

There are shorter RPGs that are really worth playing. Like Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force II, Seiken Densetsu 3 or Chrono Trigger.

You should try older games, the pace is a lot faster and it makes them much more tolerable to me.

bengraven

You know, I've never beaten a turn based CRPG. Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Ultima, Might and Magic, even new ones like Wasteland 2 or Grimrock.

Beaten plenty of ARPGs on computer, Mass Effects and Fallouts and Elder Scrolls, and plenty of WRPGs on consoles but no turned based or strat games on computer.

Teggy

Congrats,i too never had finished a JRPG either,just beat my first one Saturday ! You should try Persona 3 or 4,one of the best experiences i've ever had in gaming.

I have both (did I mention I also buy a lot of RPGs and don't play them?) and hope I can beat them.

Ohhhhh you picked a really good RPG! It is a fantastic game and a great introductory RPG too!

I'm really glad you liked it. Also SC was supposed to be last winter, but got pushed back by Xseed because of how massive the project is. Hopefully it will be this year, though no exact date exists.

mp1990

Banned
I have both (did I mention I also buy a lot of RPGs and don't play them?) and hope I can beat them.

You're just like me,i have like 40 JRPGs on backlog and i don't start any of them. Well,now that i finished my first one it's time to change this :)

Damaniel

Banned
The game that got me over the hump was Legend of Heroes - Trails in the Sky

You picked a good first game to beat. I love Nihon Falcom's stuff, and I played that game obsessively as soon as it showed up on Steam. I want the sequel too, especially with the way the first one ended. Hopefully we'll hear something more about it in the coming months.

BTW, when is the sequel to Legend of Heroes coming out? :(

Should be relatively soon - I believe they finished the English script recently so it's just a matter of plugging in everything & testing now.

If you've got a Vita, I'd recommend Persona 4 Golden. Great story & characters like Trails in the Sky and the Vita version is much more beginner-friendly than the original release.

Velurian

Congrats!

As a pointer for future - a lot of completing a classic rpg derives from understanding where your damage comes from. So taking some time and reading about it usually really helps.

Teggy

Should be relatively soon - I believe they finished the English script recently so it's just a matter of plugging in everything & testing now.

If you've got a Vita, I'd recommend Persona 4 Golden. Great story & characters like Trails in the Sky and the Vita version is much more beginner-friendly than the original release.

Already have it, although I want to play P3P first.

nampad

I am similar like you, I started a lot of RPGs and barely finished any. It surprises me though that it was TitS that managed to get you through one as I felt the pacing to be horribly slow in the game.

Persona 3 Portable was the first I finished and Persona 4 Golden was easy afterwards. Think it also helped that I moved to playing such games on handheld, where I can get some gameplay in before bedtime conveniently with suspend and resume.
Can't imagine being tethered to a TV anymore for such a long game and I feel like most RPGs are too long.

BTW, it doesn't matter much if you play P3P before P4G OP. The only reason I can think of is maybe that P4G is so much better that going back will be difficult but that is an opinion many will probably fight me on.

jonno394

I always find it hard to finish traditional RPGs but I will always remember that SKies of Arcadia was my first. I'd tried countless before (the final fantasies, some breath of fires) but this is the first one I bought at retail and finished. Such an epic adventure.

I havent finished too many RPGs since then but they still happen to be a genre I really like, I just never finish the games!

Teggy

I am similar like you, I started a lot of RPGs and barely finished any. It surprises me though that it was TitS that managed to get you through one as I felt the pacing to be horribly slow in the game.

Playing on Vita was a huge help. It made it easy to pick up and put down when I felt like it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
There are shorter RPGs that are really worth playing. Like Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force II, Seiken Densetsu 3 or Chrono Trigger.

You should try older games, the pace is a lot faster and it makes them much more tolerable to me.

Chrono Trigger or even Phantasy Star 4 I'd say are fairly short, but iirc (its been years since I played through them) both Seiken 3 and Shining Force 2 are pretty long, meaty games.

If you want shorter turn-based and/or strategy RPGs, there's Rhapsody, Suikoden 1, all of Zeboyd's games, Dragon Quest 1, Emerald Dragon, and Final Fantasy 4.

Persona 3 Portable was the first I finished and Persona 4 Golden was easy afterwards. Think it also helped that I moved to playing such games on handheld, where I can get some gameplay in before bedtime conveniently with suspend and resume.
Can't imagine being tethered to a TV anymore for such a long game and I feel like most RPGs are too long.

BTW, it doesn't matter much if you play P3P before P4G OP. The only reason I can think of is maybe that P4G is so much better that going back will be difficult but that is an opinion many will probably fight me on.

I found TITS to be pretty slow-paced as well, it took a while to get going... but oh boy when it does... also my PSP disk drive was on the fritz so there were times when the loading slowed to a crawl.

Steel

Banned
I find it rather surprising that Trails in the sky is the first turn based rpg you've completed. Game takes forever to get going. If you're looking for something that has a similiar battle system, I'd go with Divinity: OS(Hard to believe, but it does have a very similiar battle system).

Dio

Banned
One of my favorite things about Trails First Chapter is the buildup and the 'slowness'. I quite enjoyed a more personal, down to earth story where you felt like there were really important things in the background that were out of your control and that you were really small and insignificant in comparison. It gives a special flavor to it, one that's lost when saving the world from God for the 10,000th time. It also helps that I like the cast a hell of a lot.

Do you mean hard mode or am I missing something?

Hes referring to the Second Chapter being the back half of the game.

I'm also (pleasently) surprised that TitS was your first. Its an amazing game imo, but it feels like one of those games where its hard to enjoy if you arent already into jRPGs.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
That's quite interesting from my perspective actually. I've played through a lot of RPGs, but I couldn't take more than 15 hours of Legend of Heroes - Trails in the Sky before I gave up. Still, I can see how it would be suitable as someone's first RPG in a way.

MadHitz

Neo Member
I recently tried my first turn-based RPG, Final Fantasy VI on PS1. I think I just don't know how to properly play one of these, because half the time I'm confused about what all the abbreviations mean, what to do in battle, what items to use at the right time, where to go, etc.

Is there a guide somewhere online for these types of games? Like a "RPGs for Dummies"?

Teggy

I recently tried my first turn-based RPG, Final Fantasy VI on PS1. I think I just don't know how to properly play one of these, because half the time I'm confused about what all the abbreviations mean, what to do in battle, what items to use at the right time, where to go, etc.

Is there a guide somewhere online for these types of games? Like a "RPGs for Dummies"?

This is another reason why Trails in the Sky isn't very complicated. There's really very little tradeoff you need to worry about in terms of skills. Most weapons just increase your strength, armor increases your defense. There an occasional item that will increase your movement or dexterity, but it's really rare and not important (in normal mode at least). A lot of other games you really do need to make note of what all the attributes do and which characters need them.

This is another reason why Trails in the Sky isn't very complicated. There's really very little tradeoff you need to worry about in terms of skills. Most weapons just increase your strength, armor increases your defense. There an occasional item that will increase your movement or dexterity, but it's really rare and not important (in normal mode at least). A lot of other games you really do need to make note of what all the attributes do and which characters need them.

I'm curious. What sort of games do you guys normally play?

go play suikoden 1&2 now, the game is pretty easy, it's not a long game although you may need a guide to get the complete best ending as your first playthrough. when I first play it, the game is short enough that I beat it multiple times, once without a guide and a second playthrough to get everything with a guide.

Suikoden 1 is also my first RPG I ever beat too, so it should be good for a beginner's RPG imo.

btw, the guide is needed not because the game is complex and hard, but because there are plenty of optional quest for recruiting party member that encourage you to explore and talk to people to uncover

daniels

I always had the problem of not finishing rpgs right after i get access to the final dungeon simply because i didnt want it to be over (wild arms, breath of fire, alundra, FF series and so on) kinda stupid ^^ But my first rpg i finished was illusion of gaia.

tariniel

- The penalty for wiping was fairly minor. In a lot of RPGs if you wipe on a boss you have to go back to your previous save, which might mean traveling a long way or at least dealing with a bunch of cutscenes. Here, after wiping you are given the option to immediately try again.

This is fantastic and I wish more games did similar.

There is nothing quite as frustrating than dying and having to replay a lot to get back to where you were. I hate it and have abandoned games over it. Sometimes it's my fault if the game lets me save anywhere I want, I'll die and realize I didn't save for the last hour and the thought of replaying the same hour again is painful.

But then again I also love the souls games which is kind of all about making you start over when you die. I think the difference also is that the gameplay is more fast paced and interactive, and fighting enemies is fun so I don't mind walking back most of the time. In an RPG you have to sit through battle loading screens, potentially cutscenes and dialogue, and it makes it just so much worse.

This is fantastic and I wish more games did similar.

There is nothing quite as frustrating than dying and having to replay a lot to get back to where you were. I hate it and have abandoned games over it. Sometimes it's my fault if the game lets me save anywhere I want, I'll die and realize I didn't save for the last hour and the thought of replaying the same hour again is painful.

But then again I also love the souls games which is kind of all about making you start over when you die. I think the difference also is that the gameplay is more fast paced and interactive, and fighting enemies is fun so I don't mind walking back most of the time. In an RPG you have to sit through battle loading screens, potentially cutscenes and dialogue, and it makes it just so much worse.

To me, i think it would be unfortunate if all jrpgs went the way of TitS and let you retry every battle with no penalty (even though i admit i used the feature on occasion). I do recognize that it makes the game less accessible, but in the same way that Souls games give people a sense of accomplishment in finishing a gauntlet and getting to the next fire, i also feel similar if I complete a dungeon and possibly best the boss in Dragon Quest. In my eyes the only big difference is in the combat style, which isnt very popular in general out west.

I do agree that unskippable cutscenes and slow dialouge that you've already seen is annoying, but thats not an inherent issue with jrpgs (although its a little too common in them, but devs have gotten better about it at least).

idalarian

Congrats and there are many more easy to pick up and play JRPG out there. Just to name a few: Suikoden I and II, Chrono Trigger, Lufia II, Final Fantasy VI, Wild Arms, Radiant Historia and some Tales games, like Legendia.

It's still surprising that Heroes: TitS is the first one you finished since it's not has well known and it's quite verbose compared to others.

Teggy

It's still surprising that Heroes: TitS is the first one you finished since it's not has well known and it's quite verbose compared to others.

I think it's just very popular on GAF. People are always posting to buy it every time it goes on sale so it felt like I was obligated to pick it up :)

MadHitz

Neo Member
I'm curious. What sort of games do you guys normally play?

I play action games like God of War and Batman Arkham, action RPGs like BioShock and Dark Souls, some fighting games, some open-world games, and a few others. I don't play many first-person shooters or puzzle games.

Aces&Eights

First RPG I ever played all by myself and beat was Final Fantasy VII. That games hands down made me redefine what gaming was all about. The feels, the combat, the story, the exploration, Jesus, what an experience. That said, Crono Trigger is right up there as well and heck, I might even like it better than FF....

Top Bottom