• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - Rolling, Painting, Polarizing REVIEW thread

maxcriden

kirbyrainbowcurse_610.jpg

Wired - No Score

...as a proof of concept, Rainbow Curse works great for me. I don’t even need to look at the TV when the game is this good. It’s a little strange that the best home for touchscreen gameplay is now the Wii U, rather than the 3DS. But I’ll take it where I can get it.

IB Times - No Score

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse isn’t Kirby as you know it. It’s a departure from the traditional mechanics and a new experience for veterans of the franchise. Maybe Nintendo will dedicate more titles to the Gamepad, but this shouldn't be the future of home console Kirby games. At $40 it’s okay, but as long as you're not expecting Kirby games of yore.

GoNintendo - No Score

If you're willing to alter your usual gameplay style and take a different approach, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse offers up one of the most enthralling and magical experiences yet for this 'tough cream puff' I completely understand that some people aren't going to vibe with this game. I also know some gamers will avoid this title like the plague due to the cutesy graphics alone. There's also people that won't be willing to alter their usual approach to games to learn something new. That's all well and good. Not every game has to be for everyone. With that said, those people are going to miss out on an absolutely fantastic experience. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse provides an experience that is almost zen in nature, and that's something I'd like to see a lot more from this industry.

US Gamer - 5/5

Don't let Rainbow Curse's relatively small length put you off; it's a sublime experience that completely washes its hands of the padding most games employ to justify a retail release. If you're used to finishing games out of a sense of weary obligation, expect to be pleasantly surprised when this latest Kirby spin-off leaves you fully satisfied by the end of its final level.

Destructoid - 9/10
It's a game that has a little something for everyone, all without compromising its unyielding, unique, and undivided attention on its mission to blast pure adorableness into the world in all directions. If Kirby and the Rainbow Curse doesn't make you smile, you may need to see a doctor for that."]It's a game that has a little something for everyone, all without compromising its unyielding, unique, and undivided attention on its mission to blast pure adorableness into the world in all directions. If Kirby and the Rainbow Curse doesn't make you smile, you may need to see a doctor for that.

EGM - 9/10

Bright, colorful worlds brought to life by a unique art style, coupled with challenging, diverse gameplay highlights yet another successful Kirby spin-off that is as good or better in many ways than its predecessor.

Polygon - 8.5/10

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse shines because it’s a simple game that delivers superbly on a simple concept. You’re repeating many of the same actions again and again, but with each new stroke it feels more refined, more graceful. I’ve never felt smarter or more sophisticated while playing a Kirby game.

ShackNews - 8/10

Ten years ago, Canvas Curse helped Nintendo explain its handheld oddity better than any press presentation or Q&A session ever could. The gameplay was so intuitive, so immediately familiar and smartly designed, that it went a long way toward convincing me that a touch interface could do more than simple mobile experiences. A decade later, those mechanics work just as well wrapped in a beautiful new presentation, but by its very nature, it feels more at home on a handheld. Just in this case, it's a handheld system that's tethered to your living room console.

GameSided - 8/10

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse plays to the strengths of Nintendo this generation: great level design, cute characters, simple story, beautiful music, unique concepts. It’s fun and silly and laidback, with little punishment for failure, but plenty of challenge for those who are looking for it. It has some awkward controls for more precise movements, and a few gratuitous features, but those don’t distract from the goodness of the gameplay.

The biggest drawback is that there’s just not enough of this game. After clearing the main Story Mode, unless I want to pick up all the collectables, there’s not much left to play for. I feel like the game cut off right as I was getting comfortable with it, and I would’ve loved secret levels like in the Donkey Kong games, or for the already-existing levels to have an increased difficulty after I’d beaten it once. Unless I’m missing something pretty crucial, such a feature doesn’t exist.

If you’re the sort that loves puzzles and full completion, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is the game for you. It’s another feel-good Nintendo title that focuses on good gameplay–cute, low-stress, and lots of fun the whole way through.

GamesRadar - 4/5

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is one of the series’ better experiments, with warm, lively visuals working in tandem with a dynamic, unusual approach to platforming. It’s no epic, and the extras are a little on the shallow side, but it’s great while it lasts. The Wii U is in desperate need for strong content and justification for its extravagant controller, and Rainbow Curse provides both.

IGN - 8/10

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is a brisk, gorgeous platformer that has no qualms with taking off the training wheels.

Game Informer - 7.75/10

I never fully fell in love with only having secondary control of Kirby. Drawing platform lines is undeniably different, but I’m not convinced it’s the best way to play a platformer. Rainbow Curse smartly toys with the mechanic, adding surprising twists and changes, and by the end I was having a good time – even if I still was yelling at Kirby to just do what I told him every now and then.

NintendoLife - 7/10

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon: a pleasant roll through a gorgeous world, with some novel concepts, and one of the most beautiful games the Wii U has yet seen. However charming the game may be, Rainbow Curse is a few strokes from greatness: overly repetitive mechanics, underused ideas, and a failure to integrate its clay theme into gameplay in any meaningful way keep it from reaching the lofty heights to which it potentially could. Well crafted, but not a masterpiece.

We Got This Covered - 5/10

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse has its moments, but is ultimately marred by frustrating controls and questionable game design.

GameSpot - 5/10

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is a tiring game. It's taxing without being rewarding, like doing a mile on a stationary bike and discovering that you only burned away calories from one bite of your lunch burrito. The game gets frustrating quickly due to repetitive obstacles and there's not much incentive to dig into a game that won't give you that agency. It's a mediocre romp through a gorgeously detailed world that doesn't give you the control you need as a player, which ultimately dulls its shine.

GiantBomb - 2/5

Playing Kirby and the Rainbow Curse was a tedious experience from beginning to end, and it lacks the "time and place" factor of Canvas Curse. If Nintendo was more open to bringing its properties to mobile and tablets, I could see the game being more appealing as a cheap eShop or iPad title. As a full-fledged $40 Wii U title, however, it only feels like a disappointment.

9Zmd2y6L6ejTVLr3ITl4OajVn3m5XxqY.jpg

"It's a mediocre romp through a gorgeously detailed world that doesn't give you the control you need as a player."

Didn't know Kirby was gonna be such a cinematic experience.

"But you never look at the TV" flood incoming ;)

Do you ever look at the TV? I just bought a Wii U on a whim last week and haven't really been following this game, I'll get it regardless since it's only $40 and I've always wanted to play Canvas Curse, but that's definitely a turnoff if it's only played on the GamePad.

hawk2025

Veeery varied scores, although I admit I don't quite get Gamespot's complaints regarding one dimensional lines, since the lines you can draw are actually 2D and can curve any way you wish.

I'll temper my expectations a bit, despite loving Canvas Curse. But at $32 with GCU discount, this is still an easy buy.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
GameSpot - 5/10 (?! very weirdly written)

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is a tiring game. It's taxing without being rewarding, like doing a mile on a stationary bike and discovering that you only burned away calories from one bite of your lunch burrito.

I have no words.

Hugstable

Banned
It's fun to see such varied review scores. This should happen more often.

Definitely, gives you more details in what could be the positive and negatives about a game and it makes things easier as a consumer to read many differing reviews and try to decide whether the game is for me and worth spending the cash on.

Then again I'm a Kirby fanboy, I was gonna buy this game without looking at any reviews anyway lol :D

antitrop

This was a very weird review. Not the score in particular but how it is written, its very odd.

It's not really odd, it just seems very amateur. Nothing to do with the critical analysis or given score, but just the writing style.

Vena

It's not really odd, it just seems very amateur. Nothing to do with the critical analysis or given score, but just the writing style.

That's what I mean, the writing is very strange to read for me, as I said its not the score in particular.

weekev

Banned
This was a very weird review. Not the score in particular but how it is written, its very odd.
Double posting (ish) from import thread. Its like the writer is pissed that shes having to review Kirby and every sentence contradicts the 1 prior to it.

"Despite the beautiful claymation art style and eye-candy coloring, the game is dull."

"Kirby's movement and abilities have been oversimplified to the point that getting Kirby actually to do what you want is a gamble."
Surely if it was oversimplified getting him to do what you want would be easy?

Beartruck

That gamespot review.

"-Tapping and line-drawing mechanics are oversimplified
-Control issues make Kirby tough to handle"

What.

El Odio

Banned
The heck at that GameSpot review? Either way Kirby games have always been easy stress relievers till the end game for me so points taken off for that don't make a difference to me. Here's hoping some reviewers talk about then whole "never looking at the tv" issue.

AwShucks

It's funny, I read some of the Gamespot review and it reads like a game I want to play. I.e. a game like Canvas Curse. A game a play on the gamepad alone with the stylus. I am looking forward to this weekend! Even if it's not as good as Canvas Curse, it's still more of that and I've waited a LONG time for it.

antitrop

That's what I mean, the writing is very strange to read for me, as I said its not the score in particular.

Gamespot isn't what it used to be. I'm going to assume Van Ord didn't have enough time to edit this one and they just published the first draft.

That gamespot review.

What.

you can have a simple control setup and it can still be an issue. Try playing NBA Jam on the Wii with the controller sideways to see another game that is both simple to control but has control issues.

also, whether that Gamespot review is well written or not i don't feel that the OP should be commenting on that in the OP. Leave that for after, it just looks petty and part of Review Bingo when you have commentary listed next to the review like that.

That gamespot review.

What.

Yeah I just saw that in the comment section. I really don't get this. I think, THINK it means that it's simple but the line drawing has crappy tracking of the stylus? I don't really know how you can make it too simple if it's like Canvas Curse, you draw and Kirby goes, kinda hard to make that complicated really is there? Canvas curse got a 8.X I think on Gamespot but this get's a 5. I am not sure.

Man this snuck up on me, seems to be fairing well so far. I expect to see more complaints about switched from looking at the gamepad to TV complaints. It looks like my copy should be here late next week.

Xater

you can have a simple control setup and it can still be an issue. Try playing NBA Jam on the Wii with the controller sideways to see another game that is both simple to control but has control issues.

Exactly. Something can be oversimplified to it's detriment.

hawk2025

Simple mechanics can lead to tough controls, exactly because of lack of precision.

My question, though, is if it's any different or worse than Canvas Curse. That's my baseline, at least, since I 100%'d that one and had a lot of fun doing it.

Zalman

Canvas Curse was the shit on DS.

I haven't played them all, but I've never played an outright bad Kirby game.
Me neither, and I've played most of them. It's a very consistent series when it comes to quality. (Like most of Nintendo's franchises, actually.)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wired said:
Rainbow Curse works great for me. I don’t even need to look at the TV when the game is this good. It’s a little strange that the best home for touchscreen gameplay is now the Wii U, rather than the 3DS. But I’ll take it where I can get it.
The best Nintendo touchscreen game (with Yoshi Touch & Go) just got bigger, better and I can't wait.

I will wait though, as an European :-/

I should probably preface this by saying that I don't like Canvas Curse and I'm not really super interested in this game. I don't want to end up on the inevitable shame wall.

So the beginning of the GameSpot review makes it sound like the reviewer liked Canvas Curse, but then the rest of the review continues on with complaints about things that sound exactly like stuff in Canvas Curse, like having to draw lines and not having precise control over Kirby. In fact, it seems if the entire core concept of the game is on trial. Which would be fine, if the reviewer hadn't started off by praising Canvas Curse. If there's some key difference between the two that makes this game so much more loathsome, then it hasn't been conveyed by the review. It's just confusing.

Top Bottom