• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - Rolling, Painting, Polarizing REVIEW thread

This this this this this!

I wanna explode every time I see someone equate a person's review with a whole website. Reviews are written by a single person with an opinion. Not by "a website."

That's true, but reviews are generally vetted through a few channels to make sure they're being fair and legit. While it's true that you should always pay attention to who is reviewing it, reviews are still representing each particular site, so I empathize with why people say things like that.

This this this this this!

I wanna explode every time I see someone equate a person's review with a whole website. Reviews are written by a single person with an opinion. Not by "a website."

I would agree with this, but it's kinda... strange how GameSpot is almost always the outlier when it comes to Nintendo games. I'm not suggesting that they're part of some anti-Nintendo conspiracy, but it's not hard to see why people are quick to go after them.

I totally forgot this game was even coming out. I looked at Best Buy the other day and saw it was only $40 so I bought it with GCU + Certificates. Looks fun and
comfy

jimi_dini

"it's easy" .... "it's difficult" ... "difficulty spike"

"it doesn't play like the typical Kirby games"

"you can't suck" ... "it's boring"

"playing the later stages solo feels almost a little scary"

"generous with lifes or health items" ... "unfair"

"no incentive to play in challenge mode" ... is it because there are no trophies? Oh there are in game collectables? But there is no incentive?

ok

wat?

Too much rainbows, 5/10.

That sums the review up, basically.

oJeroEJ.gif

You lost against the tree? Seriously?

I would agree with this, but it's kinda... strange how GameSpot is almost always the outlier when it comes to Nintendo games. I'm not suggesting that they're part of some anti-Nintendo conspiracy, but it's not hard to see why people are quick to go after them.

When they wrote stuff like:
- Heavy emphasis on dull melee combat
- Uninteresting puzzles and mission structure
- Wii U gamepad adds little and hurts immersion

as negatives in their ZombiU review, well... I don't see anyone being able to explain those. That's not an opinion anymore. That's just simply objectively wrong.

I'm on my phone right now so I'm only skimming over everything and might be missing something, but does she say that the amiibo support is pointless in the video review, but then wishes you can use it continuously in the written review. I feel like there's a contradiction.

VanWinkle

Shame Gamespot didn't like it. I have a feeling I would have many of the same complaints. A touchscreen-only console game that doesn't let you play on the TV, with finicky control mechanics just isn't for me. It's too bad, because I would have loved a more traditional Kirby platformer on Wii U.

BearPawB

Banned
I like how everyone is focused on hating on the gamespot review when other reviews said similar things about the controls:

GI: "Rainbow Curse smartly toys with the mechanic, adding surprising twists and changes, and by the end I was having a good time – even if I still was yelling at Kirby to just do what I told him every now and then."

IBT: "The problem with this is that most levels aren’t really designed to keep you flowing forward. When the biggest challenge in a game in the control scheme, it dwarfs the sense of accomplishment you get when you beat a level. It goes from "Yeah, I finally solved that puzzle and made it to the end!" to "Ugh, I finally got him to move the right direction."

So please no more acting like she is the only one who had issues with the way it controlled

I like how everyone is focused on hating on the gamespot review when other reviews said similar things about the controls:

GI: "Rainbow Curse smartly toys with the mechanic, adding surprising twists and changes, and by the end I was having a good time – even if I still was yelling at Kirby to just do what I told him every now and then."

IBT: "The problem with this is that most levels aren’t really designed to keep you flowing forward. When the biggest challenge in a game in the control scheme, it dwarfs the sense of accomplishment you get when you beat a level. It goes from "Yeah, I finally solved that puzzle and made it to the end!" to "Ugh, I finally got him to move the right direction."

So please no more acting like she is the only one who had issues with the way it controlled

I feel like it's because that can be said about Canvas Curse too, but the GS reviewer said she loved that game. I would be interested to know specifically what she found easier to control about that one as opposed to this

Nanashrew

Banned
From what I'm getting from these reviews is that the game is very much like Canvas Curse. That It suffers from similar issues but it's a great game and if you have played the previous game you'll enjoy this one too, and if you're iffy about the game it is at least $40 new so you can try it out. If you couldn't get into the first game, this sequel may not be for you, it's all cool.

Sounds fine to me. Another Canvas Curse is exactly what I personally wanted.

I thought the whole point of the game was to master the new controls to move Kirby around the world skilfully.

That seems like the whole point.

If the drawing of the rope was unresponsive or kirby didn't attach himself - that would be reasonable be considered "bad controls".

Having issue with the fundamentals with the game is something entirely different though.

NateDrake

I feel like it's because that can be said about Canvas Curse too, but the GS reviewer said she loved that game. I would be interested to know specifically what she found easier to control about that one as opposed to this

That's the weird thing. On Twitter she says she liked CC but then complains RC has the same game features.

I did like Canvas Curse. But Rainbow Curse strips all of Kirby's powers and only lets you use them in controlled circumstances.

From what I'm getting from these reviews is that the game is very much like Canvas Curse. That It suffers from similar issues but it's a great game and if you have played the previous game you'll enjoy this one too, and if you're iffy about the game it is at least $40 new so you can try it out. If you couldn't get into the first game, this sequel may not be for you, it's all cool.

Sounds fine to me. Another Canvas Curse is exactly what I personally wanted.
The Giant Bomb review says it doesn't live up to Canvas Curse.

Going to throw out there my completely unsupported theory that the reviewers who don't like this game are trying to play it while looking at the TV.

Which isn't an entirely unfair thing to do, given that it's supposed to be a console game.

AdanVC

Yay reviews. Game is day one to me. Can't wait till fridayyyyyyyyy. No words on the soundtrack? What I've been hearing so far is FANTASTIC!

I still choose to hope! I really loved Canvas, so I can handle this not being as good, but I'll be sad if it's an actual disappointment. That doesn't happen often with Nintendo

hawk2025

Giant Bomb actually goes through the explanation of why and how this could be a disappointment relative to Canvas Curse, so I really do appreciate that.

Nbz

Giant Bomb's review is one I can respect. Much better than the one from GameSpot.

I respect Dan's opinion on Nintendo games, so this has certainly given me pause for thought on whether this game is worth the asking price

Playing Kirby and the Rainbow Curse was a tedious experience from beginning to end, and it lacks the "time and place" factor of Canvas Curse. If Nintendo was more open to bringing its properties to mobile and tablets, I could see the game being more appealing as a cheap eShop or iPad title. As a full-fledged $40 Wii U title, however, it only feels like a disappointment.
Oh joy, mobile platforms are now bringing down scores for console games.

"This is a fun game and all, but I would like it more if it were $1, and playable on my phone."

This game always looked like a slower, powerless Canvas Curse, so I expected it to be received more poorly than CC, but it still looks fun. CC is my favourite Kirby, so I'm picking this up on Friday.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
haha, giantbomb even managed to sneak in the good old please go third party and "would be 9/10 if iOS"

Sounds like Canvas Curse to me, aka awesome

GameSpot - 5/10
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is a tiring game. It's taxing without being rewarding, like doing a mile on a stationary bike and discovering that you only burned away calories from one bite of your lunch burrito. The game gets frustrating quickly due to repetitive obstacles and there's not much incentive to dig into a game that won't give you that agency. It's a mediocre romp through a gorgeously detailed world that doesn't give you the control you need as a player, which ultimately dulls its shine.

GiantBomb - 2/5
Playing Kirby and the Rainbow Curse was a tedious experience from beginning to end, and it lacks the "time and place" factor of Canvas Curse. If Nintendo was more open to bringing its properties to mobile and tablets, I could see the game being more appealing as a cheap eShop or iPad title. As a full-fledged $40 Wii U title, however, it only feels like a disappointment.

Ouch, those reviews are scathing. I will pick this up when I have some free time. I got MM and MH4 to keep me busy.
It does seem to be a missed opportunity to put this on 3DS compared to Wii U.

It's Max's post - what kind of rule says we can't comment on the reviews?

It's poor form and comes off as something out of Review Bingo. Plus, it biases readers who are trying to read these reviews as part of their purchasing-decision-making process.

Post the reviews w/ a preview, let the commentary come after that if you wish.

I think it being so similar to Canvas curse means it is set up to be compared in ways it can't win against due to not really bringing much new to the table (no powers in a Kirby game?) from the sounds of it (how does it change the formula canvas curse came up with etc, for example take Link Between Worlds the rental system and game progression give talking points rather than being its like Link to the Past but not really).

That Gamespot review sure was odd, almost as weird as..

that Canvas Curse ad
Wait, Nintendo have had the www.kirbykirbykirby.com domain for that long?

Going to throw out there my completely unsupported theory that the reviewers who don't like this game are trying to play it while looking at the TV.

Which isn't an entirely unfair thing to do, given that it's supposed to be a console game.
The Giant Bomb review covers this perfectly saying that due there being no TV screen idea of where the stylus is you have no choice but to always look at the GamePad. So maybe they did try but failed :p

It's poor form and comes off as something out of Review Bingo. Plus, it biases readers who are trying to read these reviews as part of their purchasing-decision-making process.

Post the reviews w/ a preview, let the commentary come after that if you wish.
Yeah, it sets a tone for the thread before you've even read the reviews, making a later post in the thread leaves things a bit more open.

VanWinkle

haha, giantbomb even managed to sneak in the good old please go third party and "would be 9/10 if iOS"

Sounds like Canvas Curse to me, aka awesome

It's not a plea to be on mobile. It's just that it's a very mobile-like game with it's touchscreen-only controls and simple mechanics, and it would be better as a cheap game on that than a $40 console game.

fhqwhgads

Oh joy, mobile platforms are now bringing down scores for console games.

"This is a fun game and all, but I would like it more if it were $1, and playable on my phone."
I guess reviewers will never learn about reviewing a game for what it is, not for what it isn't.

Top Bottom