• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - Rolling, Painting, Polarizing REVIEW thread

Ummm not that I've ever really got into Giantbomb but that snippet from their review concerning tablets and mobile ports just made them lose quite a bit of respect from me.

And some of these reviews read like they never knew Canvas Curse excited, let alone played it. I'll happily still purchase day one.

It's not a plea to be on mobile. It's just that it's a very mobile-like game with it's touchscreen-only controls and simple mechanics, and it would be better as a cheap game on that than a $40 console game.
I had the same issues with Captain Toad. I bet this game is great as well, but should have been $20.
We have games likes Transistor that give you hours and hours of gameplay.

NEO0MJ

You say this when Canvas Curse was legitimately challenging. (And this is a successor to that soo)

EX mode was also kinda challenging in Return to Dreamland, though that's an unlockable so I don't think it counts. Wish it was available from the start.

I had the same issues with Captain Toad. I bet this game is great as well, but should have been $20.
We have games likes Transistor that give you hours and hours of gameplay.

How many hours a game is isn't synonymous with how much it's worth.

Now I'm even more interested in this game. Games with reviews varying from "best thing ever" to "this sucks shit/it's too hard" end up becoming some of my favorites.

See: Nier & Wonderful 101

Ummm not that I've ever really got into Giantbomb how but that short from their review concerning tablets and mobile ports just made them lose quite a bit of respect from me.

And some of these reviews read like they never knew Canvas Curse excited, let alone played it. I'll happily still purchase day one.
Why?

hawk2025

It's not a plea to be on mobile. It's just that it's a very mobile-like game with it's touchscreen-only controls and simple mechanics, and it would be better as a cheap game on that than a $40 console game.

No, it wouldn't be better as a cheap game. It would be exactly the same game, by construction. :)

I think it being so similar to Canvas curse means it is set up to be compared in ways it can't win against due to not really bringing much new to the table (no powers in a Kirby game?) from the sounds of it (how does it change the formula canvas curse came up with etc, for example take Link Between Worlds the rental system and game progression give talking points rather than being its like Link to the Past but not really).

Wait, Nintendo have had the www.kirbykirbykirby.com domain for that long?

The Giant Bomb review covers this perfectly saying that due there being no TV screen idea of where the stylus is you have no choice but to always look at the GamePad. So maybe they did try but failed :p
Not surprising considering the name is based off the cartoon from way back then.

It's poor form and comes off as something out of Review Bingo. Plus, it biases readers who are trying to read these reviews as part of their purchasing-decision-making process.

Post the reviews w/ a preview, let the commentary come after that if you wish.

I guess that after the initial post of reviews, any thread-starter should naturally be able to comment on the scores just as much as they please.

If someone is really influenced that greatly by another member's thoughts simply because it's in the OP, that person would probably be influenced regardless of where that opinion is placed.

Anyone remember if Dan said the Giant Bomb Quick Look would be up today or not on the Bombcast?

I don't remember if they said they would do a quick look of it but they said they would talk about it next week. I am pretty sure they will do one though. Probably tomorrow or Friday if it does happen.

Wait, Nintendo have had the www.kirbykirbykirby.com domain for that long?

Ever since Kirby Right Back At Ya! existed, yes.

VanWinkle

Ummm not that I've ever really got into Giantbomb but that snippet from their review concerning tablets and mobile ports just made them lose quite a bit of respect from me.

Why? Do you not agree that it, perhaps moreso than the majority of console games, would be perfectly at home on a touchscreen-only device like a tablet or smartphone?

No, it wouldn't be better as a cheap game. It would be exactly the same game, by construction. :)

Not better in an objective way, but mobile games have lower standards, lower prices, and touchscreen-only is the norm, so perhaps "more at home" would be more appropriate. GB and GS think it's a disappointing console game, but they would probably think it's a really good smartphone or tablet game.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
interesting perspectives, sad to hear it doesn't seem to capture the same charm that it's predecessor had, but I will give it a fair shot anyways.

hawk2025

Why? Do you not agree that it, perhaps moreso than the majority of console games, would be perfectly at home on a touchscreen-only device like a tablet or smartphone?

That's not a criticism of the product, though.
I believe that the point is that, as far as evaluating the quality of a product, it's an entirely vacuous statement.

One's enjoyment of this game seems to rely on whether or not they had fun with Canvas Curse.

Luckily, I really enjoyed CC.
We have at least two reviewers already that enjoyed CC and have written pretty bad reviews for this. I wouldn't quite count on this yet -- I for one am tempering my expectations some.

NotLiquid

Main points of criticism from the GB review seems to be that it's not particularly hard and that it doesn't have the novelty factor as Canvas Curse. I can't say neither of those would end up being deal breakers to me.

The "soulless" argument is a bit of an "eh" point to me because I don't see anything suggesting that it lacks soul, but I suppose that's something I'd have to play to figure out. If anything from a surface level, soul is the one thing that Rainbow Curse oozes in spades. The incredibly unique visual style, the lovely music, the set up itself that still hasn't really aged, everything about it makes me want to sink my teeth into it. Too bad that Europe got shafted on it.

NEO0MJ

One's enjoyment of this game seems to rely on whether or not they had fun with Canvas Curse.

Luckily, I really enjoyed CC.

That Giantomb review seems to indicate that you might not like this game just because you like CC.

Main points of criticism from the GB review seems to be that it's not particularly hard and that it doesn't have the novelty factor as Canvas Curse. I can't say neither of those would end up being deal breakers to me./QUOTE]

I'm pretty disappointed by the lack of transformations. I didn't like it in Epic Yarn though I didn't mind it in Mass Attack.

MrBadger

I didn't think I was going to bother with this game straight away, but it's hard to tell if it's the game that's bad or the player in some of these reviews. Since I played Canvas Curse, I'm thinking the latter.

I have no words.

when reviewers try to look smart by putting in metaphors that actually make no bloody sense

Darklord

Banned

Expanding to mobiles does not mean abandoning the console market.

How many hours a game is isn't synonymous with how much it's worth.
But if I pay 60 dollars for a game that lasts 4 hours I would fell like I haven't gotten my money's worth.
You can argue all you want on a games worth, but I felt that Captain Toad and Kirby is a little bit high priced for the system it is on. If Kirby was on 3DS, then at least you can argue that it is portable.

Het_Nkik

I see - that's a shame I like to try new control schemes for games and would have probably tried the demo if I could play it with a Wii remote. Is there anything on the Wii that I could get on the Wii U that's similar but can be played with a Wii remote?

"Ivy the Kiwi?" kind of.

maxcriden

It's poor form and comes off as something out of Review Bingo. Plus, it biases readers who are trying to read these reviews as part of their purchasing-decision-making process.

Post the reviews w/ a preview, let the commentary come after that if you wish.

I understand where you're coming from, but as I said originally, my only comment was on what I found to be poor writing style in that particular review, and it was just one, brief comment. I didn't have any issue with the score, only how the review was written, so I don't see how that would bias anyone except against what I found to be poorer writing. With that being the case, I don't see the harm per se, personally, but it clearly bothers some so I removed it. (I do think calling my single comment that was unrelated to the actual score "poor form" is a bit harsh to say, though.)

(Eh, this is getting way off-topic, though. Sorry for any derail, and genuinely sorry if I acted poorly in any capacity.)

I'm trying to imagine drawing precise lines to get Kirby to go where I want on a hypothetical iPhone Canvas Curse and it is giving me a migraine. Especially for 100%, as Canvas Curse was BRUTAL if you wanted everything...

In any case, it sounds fun! I'll probably snag it after Captain Toad, though.

Anth0ny

damn, not even as good as Canvas Curse?

and I didn't even think Canvas Curse was that great. I just finished that game for the first time.

I guess that after the initial post of reviews, any thread-starter should naturally be able to comment on the scores just as much as they please.

If someone is really influenced that greatly by another member's thoughts simply because it's in the OP, that person would probably be influenced regardless of where that opinion is placed.

I don't come to the first post of a review thread for someone's review of someone's review. I come to see the consensus in regards to how a game is being reviewed and then to read the reviews that strike me as interesting and thoughtful.

The OP of a review thread is very much entitled to criticize reviews and join the discussion after the fact, but it's poor form to do so in the OP where people are trying to better inform themselves about an upcoming release and come into each review as open minded as possible.

Lastly, it also leads to a discussion about the OP's commentary instead of the game or the review(s) that the OP commented on, and the fact that there's even an ongoing debate about this proves that this last point is possibly the most noticeable affect of this action.

I'm trying to imagine drawing precise lines to get Kirby to go where I want on a hypothetical iPhone Canvas Curse and it is giving me a migraine. Especially for 100%, as Canvas Curse was BRUTAL if you wanted everything...

Yep, it seems like it was designed for a stylus. Not to mention the travel distance on an iPad would make that even more an issue

I enjoyed and agreed with your comment Max. You're also completely right, review text was strange as could be and the criticisms leveled aren't really articulated well.

Being that we're not brain dead lab apes, I'm sure we're all capable of clicking the link and seeing the scattershot of nonsense ourselves.

Myggen

Anyone remember if Dan said the Giant Bomb Quick Look would be up today or not on the Bombcast?

Today or tomorrow if I remember correctly. They normally record these things before the review goes up so they have it ready to go, so wouldn't be surprised if it goes up today.

maxcriden

I don't come to the first post of a review thread for someone's review of someone's review. I come to see the consensus in regards to how a game is being reviewed and then to read the reviews that strike me as interesting and thoughtful.

The OP of a review thread is very much entitled to criticize reviews and join the discussion after the fact, but it's poor form to do so in the OP where people are trying to better inform themselves about an upcoming release.

It also leads to a discussion about the OP's commentary instead of the game or the review(s) that the OP commented on, and the fact that there's even an ongoing debate about this proves that this last point is possibly the most noticeable affect of this action.

FWIW, I provided scores and summaries of everything. I made one comment about the *writing style* of one review, not about the score's validity. I would have done so if it were an oddly-written 10/10 or 0/10 review.

The OP of a review thread is very much entitled to criticize reviews and join the discussion after the fact, but it's poor form to do so in the OP where people are trying to better inform themselves about an upcoming release and come into each review as open minded as possible.

Lastly, it also leads to a discussion about the OP's commentary instead of the game or the review(s) that the OP commented on, and the fact that there's even an ongoing debate about this proves that this last point is possibly the most noticeable affect of this action.

Last thoughts:

1. What you expect in a review thread may not be what another person expects, though there should be uniformity.

2. OP's thoughts have been expressed in other review threads in the OP - I'd argue we care so much because it's a particular user people feel comfortable engaging with.

3. This conversation can be ended by either side, which is what's happening now. :-D

FWIW, I provided scores and summaries of everything. I made one comment about the *writing style* of one review, not about the score's validity. I would have done so if it were an oddly-written 10/10 or 0/10 review.

Exactly. It's alright to critique the form of a review, especially if there are problems. I've seen it elsewhere. Ultimately, it doesn't matter.

I'm pretty disappointed by the lack of transformations.

I was surprised when I first heard this, but a few seconds later, I realized it was for the better.

Canas Curse had copy abilities, and I almost always avoided them, as they weren't fun and were more difficult to use than Kirby's main dash ability.

hawk2025

Not better in an objective way, but mobile games have lower standards, lower prices, and touchscreen-only is the norm, so perhaps "more at home" would be more appropriate. GB and GS think it's a disappointing console game, but they would probably think it's a really good smartphone or tablet game.

Well, perhaps we differ in opinion regarding this, then.

I'm of the opinion that games should not be given any leeway or be reviewed different based on platform. It's why I ended up buying junk like Oceanhorn, I imagine, based on reviews that proclaimed it as a great Zelda-like game on iOS. I suppose it is relative to the lower standards of the platform regarding adventure games.

For my purposes, quality should be judged independent of platform. Games should be judged relative to the industry, not relative to their platforms.

But if I pay 60 dollars for a game that lasts 4 hours I would fell like I haven't gotten my money's worth.
You can argue all you want on a games worth, but I felt that Captain Toad and Kirby is a little bit high priced for the system it is on. If Kirby was on 3DS, then at least you can argue that it is portable.

This is something I'll agree on, it'd kinda of like Nintendo is reaching a little for budget cost titles but pushing just a little more than they should with the price.

I played RC a couple of times and aside from it's lovely look, it just didn't woo me. I really wanted it to do that, too. :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
GamesRadar - 4/5

+ It makes great use of the GamePad
+ It has a warm, adorable art style
+ It brings some much-needed challenge to the Kirby series
- Some terribly average boss battles
- Then those boss battles are repeated
- A little on the short side

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is one of the series’ better experiments, with warm, lively visuals working in tandem with a dynamic, unusual approach to platforming. It’s no epic, and the extras are a little on the shallow side, but it’s great while it lasts. The Wii U is in desperate need for strong content and justification for its extravagant controller, and Rainbow Curse provides both.

Higgy

"But you never look at the TV" flood incoming ;)

I play the shit out of the U and have barely ever used the TV. If it doesn't have off tv play I won't buy it. It's been a godsend for gaming with a family. No need to hog the TV or isolate yourself. I will miss the U dearly when it's gone.

CANLI

i actually own the jap version of the game.
never played canvas curve before.
what made bouht the game is the plasticine design and some pv's.
Conclusion: I like it. The controls are just what It must be. There is zero problem with it.
I play with the gamepad but turn my head often on the tv to see the sublime artdesign.

Corgi

Banned
It's weird because a lot of the complaints with RC were also a part of CC's list of complaints...

could be a time and place thing too which was mentioned in the GB review. CC was great as an experimental game where there was no other big titles that did that when it came out.

Doesn't seem like this game has much more to add besides the new coat of paint and minor mechanics changes.

And I can imagine the whole 'you pretty much have to play the game on the crappy gamepad screen' might tick some people off more than others.

tesqui

Well, I guess that makes my choice of either getting this or Majora's Mask a lot easier. It's a shame cause Canvas Curse it probably in my top 3 DS games.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Oh joy, mobile platforms are now bringing down scores for console games.

"This is a fun game and all, but I would like it more if it were $1, and playable on my phone."

So... what, making the game cheaper would make it less tedious?

Top Bottom