• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthbound is factually a terrible game

botty

Banned
I just finished the game again, and it was even worse the second time around.

Ugly and lazy sprite work
- Almost no cohesive thought put into enemies
— These are found in the same area:
badbuffalo.png
crestedbooka.png
smilinsphere.png

- A lot of the designs are very sloppy

Awful difficulty spikes
- New areas produce powerful enemies and promote grinding
—Some areas, like the Dept. Store in Foursome, have annoying difficulty spikes

Tragic Status ailments
- Many of Earthbound's status ailments are poorly implemented
— Enemies tend to spam statuses like crying, poison, or cold.
- The worst status/gameplay mechanic is arguably "homesickness."
— Homesickness is unpredictable and can be detrimental if it occurs during a boss fight.
- The mushroom status ailment is another annoying part of the game.

The story is ridiculous
- The more Earthbound goes on, the more absurd it becomes.
—Earthbound could have been great farce, but it seems more "made up as you go" since it tries to take itself serious at times.

The game does not flow well
- Earthbound is plagued with numerous things that break its flow
— The annoying delay of the camera man, switching character perspectives, deaths from difficulty spikes, enemies rushing to initiate battles, backtracking...amongst other things.

I am not surprised Earthbound was a flop when it released, and I am also not surprised Nintendo refused to release Mother 3 outside of Japan. While Earthbound is charming at times, it is still a terrible game, and if this is what Itoi was going for... yikes.

giphy.gif

While I don't feel the game garners the praise it receives, calling it terrible isn't a great starting point for your thread, even though you provide good points.

Except your wrong OP, opinions can't be facts.

Also, the absurdity is part of the charm of Earthbound. Somethings are better when they don't make sense.

Also, nice title, purposely trying to get pissed off responses?

Thanks for sharing?

9iKMY7t.gif

But in all seriousness, your points are valid. The game is by no means perfect and I haven't replayed it since my first time in 2007. But you should try Mother 3, it's the better game in every way.

I still haven't played this. I own a WiiU now and the game finally came out in Europe officially in 2013. I may as well get on it.

I agree on the difficulty spikes. I don't care much for the sprite work either. I didn't play Earthbound as a kid, so I have no nostalgia for it like I do the rest of the SNES classics. I tried playing it on Wii U VC and it's tough to get into compared to FF6 or Chrono Trigger.

I hate the static combat sequences. Lack of any sort of battle animation felt really lazy and unimpressive to me.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I just finished the game again, and it was even worse the second time around.

Ehhh you play Kingdom Hearts which is a basic Action RPG going from square room to square room killing mostly brainless enemies. C'mon son at least Earthbound has some challenge to it and the story isn't a convoluted mess like the KH series.

K.Sabot

Mother 3 is superior.

I love Earthbound too, it's top 10 JRPG for me.

The term "more than the sum of its parts" calls to me in this case.

botty
Disney Infinity is the
greatest, most successful
game ever made. I LOVE DISNEY INFINITY.
(Today, 08:55 PM)

Don't know if the tag's truly your opinion, but it made me laugh.

ash321

I hate this comic. People just use it as a fucking cudgel to shutdown all dissenting opinions. Why can't we have a topic on how Earthbound is overrated?

Yeah it's dumb in this case to say "factually terrible" but still.

That's the reason the comic was post ? Maybe ?

Nah, I just finished it for the first time recently.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said, but I think the game is more than its worst parts. At the end of it, I felt like I was rooting for characters that never said a word and I was engrossed in the off-kilter world.

I can't fully explain it; I've honestly spent time thinking about it why it's so effective despite its flaws. But at the end of the day, moments like the Giygas battle, or the Winters section, or Poo's training, or Moonside, they don't come from other games. They come from Earthbound.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
This thread will be fun. EarthBound terrible?...nah.

Some of what you're saying (particularly graphics and battle system), was discussed recently in that 'overrated cult classics' thread but yeah the game is severely lacking in a lot of areas and vastly overrated IMO. I do think the story is unique and fairly well told at least.

Tried playing through this twice, never got very far. I do want to finish it eventually though. On the other hand, I've played through Mother 3 twice, and that's a great game that really builds on the battle system and has a far more interesting story.

Top Bottom