• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider Returnal as Sony's best first party game released so far on the PS5?

That's one I own, but only played for a couple of hours. It felt a bit too clean, and I had already played the original.

My favorite is probably Gran Turismo 7 or, if it counts, Ghostwire Tokyo.
GT7 is pretty dope and an improvement on the last one so fair enough. Ghostwire Tokyo was a 3rd party timed exclusive from Tango Works (Bethesda) so it doesn't count.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Depends on if you want to include PS4 games like god of war which is easily the better game. But in terms of PS5 only games, id rank them like this:

1) Returnal
2) Demon Souls
3) ratchet
4) astrobot
5) tlou part 1

2 PS3 era 1:1 remakes, and 1 free 2 hour game. so yeah, not a lot of competition. sony really fucked up not making horizon, miles, gt7 and gow next gen. they feel too iterative, too safe, too similar. Sony had all their studios lined up to just kill it and they blew it. so yeah, returnal pretty much wins by default.

Last edited:
Depends on if you want to include PS4 games like god of war which is easily the better game. But in terms of PS5 only games, id rank them like this:

1) Returnal
2) Demon Souls
3) ratchet
4) astrobot
5) tlou part 1

2 PS3 era 1:1 remakes, and 1 free 2 hour game. so yeah, not a lot of competition. sony really fucked up not making horizon, miles, gt7 and gow next gen. they feel too iterative, too safe, too similar. Sony had all their studios lined up to just kill it and they blew it. so yeah, returnal pretty much wins by default.
Sure. Ragnarok, HFW, Miles Morales and GT7 are also in discussion here since these titles have released at or after the PS5 has launched.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Sure. Ragnarok, HFW, Miles Morales and GT7 are also in discussion here since these titles have released at or after the PS5 has launched.
Then

1. GOW Ragnorak
  2. Returnal
  3. Demon Souls
  4. Horizon FW
  5. Ratchet
  6. Astrobot
  7. Spiderman Miles
  8. TLOU Part 1
  9. GT7 (i havent played this but it looks like the most safe and iterative game sony first party has put out and thats counting 1:1 remakes like TLOU and demon souls. )
That lineup looks insane on paper, and we should be talking about the best first three years for any first party publisher, but in reality most of these games feel like glorified expansions, or ubisoft like iterative sequels. sony studios are better than that.

Gojiira

Its a fantastic game, I HATED it at first it just seemed shallow and kinda monotonous but I was just wrong.
Every biome is unique, enemy attack patterns differ greatly, the upgrades you get are impactful and levelling weapons really lets you find the one that suits you.
On top of that the story was surprisingly engaging, helped by absolutely fantastic art and lighting.
Yeah OP its definitely a 10/10 game. And Sonys best new ip since Bloodborne gir sure.

Then

1. GOW Ragnorak
  2. Returnal
  3. Demon Souls
  4. Horizon FW
  5. Ratchet
  6. Astrobot
  7. Spiderman Miles
  8. TLOU Part 1
  9. GT7 (i havent played this but it looks like the most safe and iterative game sony first party has put out and thats counting 1:1 remakes like TLOU and demon souls. )
That lineup looks insane on paper, and we should be talking about the best first three years for any first party publisher, but in reality most of these games feel like glorified expansions, or ubisoft like iterative sequels. sony studios are better than that.
I think we're mostly on the same page with the picks, just that Returnal bumped up to #1 due to the things I mentioned in the OP, and Ragnarok below Demon's Souls but above HFW.

Last edited:
The only competition it really has in terms of exclusives is Astro's Playroom, it's such a different game and a toss up that I can't decide. Demons Souls and TLOU Part 1 could be in the running too, if you're counting remakes. Although I still haven't played Bloodborne (a cardinal sin, I know, that will change soon) I can see the analogies of Bloodborne to PS4 what Returnal to PS5 is, only difference is the scale of success.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Not for me. I find demons souls remake to be such a strong remake it changed my personal tier list for the souls games.

I also think even with its flaws horizon 2 is jaw dropping what they accomplished on a console.

I was also super impressed with insomniac for miles morales for performance RT mode. The game also fixes all the issues with Spider-Man 1 like playing as MJ lol.

Returnal is super unique but too RNG driven for a good run. My first run ever I beat the first 3 bosses in a row no issue. My next like 50+ runs were just awful luck on what upgrades etc I would get. It felt like my skill wasn’t being taken into account enough compared to the luck of upgrades along the way.

SlimySnake

I think we're mostly on the same page with the picks, just that Returnal bumped up to #1 due to the things I mentioned in the OP, and Ragnarok below Demon's Souls but above HFW.
The story resonated with you far more than it did for me. I am with on the combat and especially the stunning dualsense features that immerse you in the game unlike any other game out there. but story and its themes were too abstract for me. maybe im dumb, but i want a little more handholding and traditional storytelling like horizon and gow. you brought up bloodborne but that year witcher 3 came out and despite not even being close to bloodborne in terms of level design, and combat, it won me over because of its excellent storytelling and rich world building.

MarkMe2525

It really is a fun game, and probably my favorite PS5 title. In saying that, the presentation, while absolutely serviceable, keeps it from being their best game.

poodaddy

No. I liked it enough to finish the game the first time, didn't wanna play it anymore after that. Great aesthetic, great gameplay, very cool biomes, but in general rogue likes just don't grab me as much as they do many, and I find that they actively don't respect my limited time for gaming. I really can't wait for the industry to move past this trend, as it seems every other game has rogue lite elements now, and I say that as someone that absolutely adores Rogue Legacy and Streets of Rogue, but it's time for the industry to move on man.

Edellus

I haven't been interested in any roguelike games before and I've only played Resogun from Housemarque, but Returnal caught me by surprise.

It was such an atmospheric experience, and somehow very inmersive despite it's very arcadey game mechanics and movement. And oh boy the music and sound in this game. The presentation is so well put together all around.

The gameplay turned addicting too. Starting weak and becoming stronger in every cycle and with different weapons is such a cool idea. I don't know if other roguelikes do that too, but either way it is a strike of genius gameplay loop.

I'm not sure I would say it is "the best" 1st party on PS5, but just because I've also enjoyed other games such as much, but for different reasons and in different ways. Regardless, Returnal is a 10/10 in my book and it has its own pedestal (I platinumed it and all).

I should mention that it is in the PS Plus extra games collection. As I said, I didn't have much of an interest in roguelikes (to buy one), so it is thanks to PS Plus that I got to try and enjoy Returnal. Whatever comes next from Housemarque, I'll consider buying it at launch from now on.

Sleepwalker

Nah I didnt enjoy it that much and I'm not into roguelites. Ragnarok is the best for me despite having some issues with it.

Yes. It's pretty much their only worthwhile exclusive (perhaps along the latest Ratchet and Clank) which is not a:

1. Glorified Netflix series.
2. A remake.
3. Ubisoft-like open world which feels like more like work than actual fun.

So yeah, I'd say their best first-party title since Bloodborne.
Not gonna lie, seeing that something is a Sony first party title is a turn off to me right off the bat usually, because of the reasons you stated. I just don't get where the hype comes from.

Returnal does look pretty cool, and it seems like it stands up against criticism even 2 and change years later, so I'll give it a whirl sometime soon

Svejk

It's been the most surprisingly excellent by far, yes. I'm genuinely hyped for what they put out next. If they did a full blown Metroidvania with Returnal's stellar gameplay?... Hoo boy

Spyxos

Gold Member
Not really, it was ok, but more than the first 3 lvl I have never played through. I liked other Sony titles far more.

sncvsrtoip

Then

1. GOW Ragnorak
  2. Returnal
  3. Demon Souls
  4. Horizon FW
  5. Ratchet
  6. Astrobot
  7. Spiderman Miles
  8. TLOU Part 1
If we take into account psvr2 gt7 is only real nextgen game here

my rank
1. Gt7 psvr2
2. Ragnarok
3. Horizon fw
4. Ratchet
5. Miles
6. Demon Souls
7. Lou part 1
8. Astrobot
9. Returnal (I despise rouglike/lite)

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

giphy.gif

Not really, it was ok, but more than the first 3 lvl I have never played through. I liked other Sony titles far more.
Damn, you were this close to experiencing the epic build-up to the boss fight I've mentioned in the OP. But if you've played and finished the 3rd biome and the game still didn't grab you, then fair enough.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Damn, you were this close to experiencing the epic build-up to the boss fight I've mentioned in the OP. But if you've played and finished the 3rd biome and the game still didn't grab you, then fair enough.
I think i died in the biome 3 End Boss fight (moving platforms), then i respawned again in lvl 1. And never touched this game again. It felt like all my progress was erased.

Last edited:
I think i died in the biome 3 End Boss fight (moving platforms), then i respawned again in lvl 1. And never touched this game again.
Yeah, that sounds pretty brutal, especially if you've played around launch pre-nerf biome 3. Oh well...
What's the top rated one?
You tell me or are you simply trolling? I've seen you around numerous GAF threads only shitposting with non-sense drive by one-liners.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Yeah, that sounds pretty brutal, especially if you've played around launch pre-nerf biome 3. Oh well...

You tell me or are you simply trolling? I've seen you around numerous GAF threads only shitposting with non-sense drive by.
Oh boy... what am I trolling PlayStation?

The answer to my Question is (I think) GOW R.

To answer your question.
Demon's Souls
Horizon FW
Nioh 2

Oh boy... what am I trolling PlayStation?

The answer to my Question is (I think) GOW R.

To answer your question.
Demon's Souls
Horizon FW
Nioh 2
Nioh 2 is not even a first party game and it released first on PS4. You've been called out on your recent behavior in a recent Switch thread and I'll leave it at that since we're getting offtopic.

slade

Don't like shootymcshootemups like Returnal. Gets even more minus points for being a rogue like or whatever the hell you call that genre.

With everybody busy warring over Starfield, I decided to play Horizon Forbidden West. Fifteen hours in, it remains Sony's best PS5 game to date.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
One of the best games I've ever played.

As mentioned by other people the gameplay mechanics are sublime, it looks great and has a killer soundtrack, and has a great story/character-work that dovetails intelligently with the Rogue-like elements.

Absolutely superb effort all round, and above all else a remarkable step up for Housemarque. Going in, I expected the action to be top-notch based on their past work. But I had no idea that it'd be probably the best psychological horror title since the heydey of Silent Hill 1/2.

Last edited:

Ogbert

No.

The attempt to elevate Returnal to God tier is cringe. It’s not a roguelike. It has zero build variation of value. The combat is excellent but runs soon turn dull. The malignancy mechanic is one of the worst additions to a potentially great game that I can remember.

I love Housemarque, but they got caught between an arcade experience and a rogue. Ended up being neither.

DS, GoW, Ratchet are all miles better,

Top Bottom